Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

gbaby, I see you have an Arcam AV9. My Sony with an Arcam C31, two P1s and B&W N803 is an awesome combo. And that's coming from someone who also has Arcam CD37 and other Arcam players. Plus the fact that even after importing into Canada it's still significantly cheaper than an Oppo 95, so even if the Oppo is better (only a big assumption) I'm not bothered in the least.

General question: I didn't see anyone mentioning the power cord here but some people elsewhere have replaced them. I'm not after an expensive 'audiophile' one but just a cheap thick one. I suppose a cord with three-prong plug is OK to use?

You are probably getting a better sound than I am getting if you are using the Arcam C31 with the analog outs of the 5400ES. I've alway heard that a quality dedicated analog pre-amp beats sonically beats most home theater processors. And, I've heard that price is NOT the determining factor. Also, I use the stock power cord with my Arcam AV9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
FYI:

Just got an e-mail from Kevin McEvoy of "HD Theater", listing Sony SCD-XA5400ES for very good price. Check it out
(888)805-2877

www.HTDtheater.com
Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncanton View Post

Hello, I have a SACD (B0000C8ASD) I purchased many years ago but was never able to play all the way through because my old player stopped playing it at a certain point. When I played it on the SCD-XA5400ES I was very happy when it played all the way through with no problems. However, I have a different SACD (B00000K4IM), which I also purchased many years ago. This one used to play fine on my old player, but with the new player it always stops playing at the very same spot on the disk towards the end of track 3. The only way to continue playing is by skipping to the next track.

Has anybody experienced similar problems? Should I be concerned about the player?

doncanton

I had the same problem with this sacd on my xa5400es at 5min. 6 sec. into track 3. Since its always been one of my favorites (own the red book version) I bought another one and it does the same thing. I have not had a problem with any other sacd on this player. On a side note this disc, Beethovens Sym. 6, conducted by Bruno Walter, plays fine on my Sony BDP-S570 blue ray player, but of course does not sound as good. Hope this helps. Enjoy the music.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

FYI:

Sony SCD-XA5400ES for very good price. ..

www.HTDtheater.com

VG price ($1098) perhaps compared to MSRP but now some are going for the low 800s FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhf View Post

I had the same problem with this sacd on my xa5400es at 5min. 6 sec. into track 3. ...On a side note this disc, Beethovens Sym. 6, conducted by Bruno Walter..

Now you've identified the disc (good detective work for a first forum post) I tried mine and had the same issue - must be a track authoring or physical problem which this player is sensitive to. The s/n is SS 6012 on SONY (it transpires B00000K4IM is Amazon's ASIN for its listing - never occurred to me to use that, hehe).

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM

It is reassuring to hear that it is something particular to this disk that is preventing it from playing. Thank you for checking. It might have to do with the fact that it was one of the first SACD that came out from Sony.

I did not know the ASIN designation was related to Amazon. I thought it was something like ISBN is for books. A Google search for the ASIN finds the disk in several websites.

You learn something every day.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just ordered, both, the Sony SCD-XA5400ES and an Oppo BDP-95. Can't wait to experiment with, both, 2ch analog (RCA) OUT's and HDMI. I'm using Marantz AV7005 > Parasound Halo A51 amp, Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS60 fronts).

Whatever happened to your review comparing the analog outs of the Sony 5400Es and the Oppo 95?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just got an e-mail from Kevin McEvoy of "HD Theater"

Based on my personal experience, I would not deal with him under any circumstances or any of his company names. Don't PM me, just Google his name.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncanton View Post

It is reassuring to hear that it is something particular to this disk that is preventing it from playing. Thank you for checking. It might have to do with the fact that it was one of the first SACD that came out from Sony.

You can just fast forward (>>) it slightly and it will play, no need to skip entirely to track 4 as there is a bit remaining. Not a satisfactory solution as it spoils the continuity. I have a bunch of those Sony SACDs but haven't played most of them - I bought them at half-price but still they were vastly overpriced for a non-hybrid stereo only SACD, old recordings and short runtime.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Whatever happened to your review comparing the analog outs of the Sony 5400Es and the Oppo 95?

sorry, still waiting to get things situated. In process of moving
Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MOVING! That means you'll have the review by next year.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

MOVING! That means you'll have the review by next year.

yep, next year No, maybe in the next few months (imagine how frustrated I am)
Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothill View Post

Based on my personal experience, I would not deal with him under any circumstances or any of his company names. Don't PM me, just Google his name.

personally I've had one transaction with Kevin McEvoy and it was smooth and painless
Old 07-18-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

Great. For the first time, my printed commentary will precede the Internet report!

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I rarely want to change the playback order of tracks, and if I want to skip a track, I do it manually, but is there a way to program the 5400ES to playback only certain tracks? The manual doesn't mention it, and I don't see any buttons related to programming on the remote.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 AM

Liked: 11
Kal - I know you are a fan of vibrapods. Have you tried them with the Sony? I tried some isonodes, but wasn't really too thrilled with the results.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan24 View Post

Kal - I know you are a fan of vibrapods. Have you tried them with the Sony? I tried some isonodes, but wasn't really too thrilled with the results.

I have not tried either with the Sony.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 10-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Hi all,

I read quite a few pages of this thread before my eyes gave out, and I'm sure that "5400ES vs Blah" queries are old news. However, I would still appreciate any input on the following scenario.

Processor: Integra DHC-80.2
Transport: Oppo BDP-80 (via HDMI)

Would there be any advantage to the 5400ES for SACD or CD playback if I use HDMI? What if I use the 2-channel analog output?

Does the answer for the 2-channel analog output change if I have Audyssey enabled (thus adding an A/D-D/A conversion) or disabled (i.e. "direct" mode)?

Thanks!

W
Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 PM

I read a few dozen more pages of this thread and answered my own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierzbowski View Post

Hi all,

I read quite a few pages of this thread before my eyes gave out, and I'm sure that "5400ES vs Blah" queries are old news. However, I would still appreciate any input on the following scenario.

Processor: Integra DHC-80.2
Transport: Oppo BDP-80 (via HDMI)

Would there be any advantage to the 5400ES for SACD or CD playback if I use HDMI? What if I use the 2-channel analog output?

Does the answer for the 2-channel analog output change if I have Audyssey enabled (thus adding an A/D-D/A conversion) or disabled (i.e. "direct" mode)?

Thanks!

W

Old 12-31-2011, 10:35 AM

Anyone know if these are still available, and where the best prices are to be had? I know that the matching BDP-S5000ES can be had for very little.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarbach View Post

Anyone know if these are still available, and where the best prices are to be had? I know that the matching BDP-S5000ES can be had for very little.

No unfortunately, I wished I would have bought one. I will save my money for the new Oppo BDP vs 2012 with USB
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarbach View Post

I was told by Sony at the Boulder Audio Fest in mid October that they were going to resume production due to the high number of requests for the model. I don't know what has happened since.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 PM

Sorry to hear the skipping problem from your Sony SCD-XA5400ES. The skipping problem after of research i made comes from the main board of the player. the error that appears at the error log of the player is "syscon not responding". The system controller it's the part of the main board. if you play a dsd disc and after that a sacd disc then you going to experience the skipping issue from the one track to another at exact same running time of track.

I was try to contact with Sony and they never answer to my question...never. Every time i was asking them anything they called me always until this issue appeared. That gives me the impression that they company is guilty for something........