Proper set up of Denon DVD-1930ci for SACD playback? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Greetings! I recently purchased a Denon DVD-1930ci for SACD and DVD-Audio purposes. I have it hooked up to my new AVR-2809ci via HDMI (and only HDMI - no analog outputs) and am rather certain that I have my player and receiver settings correct. My lossless Blu-ray discs sound great (from my PS3) as do my DVD-Audio discs from the Denon (listening to Metallica was like hearing it for the first time!). When I pop in a SACD disc, the player reads and plays the discs and I can select the different SACD tracks as seen on the player's display. However, I cannot get any sound from SACDs on my system (sans standard CD audio for SACDs which also feature standard CD audio). Can anyone point me in the proper direction? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I do not think the 1930ci will output SACD over HDMI.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 7 Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
ooops

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #4 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have this Player you need to use the Analog Outs for SACD and DVD-A lossless. As for the DVD-A and using HDMI you Probally Not listening to the DVD-Audio but to the Lossy versions. To Test This theory Do you have "Love by The Beatles??

If so Put that DVD-A in if it Doesnt Play you havent got it hooked up correct. AS the Love DVD-A Only has a DVD-A Track No Lossy Tracks on it??

Or On your TV When you put in a DVD-A Disk and it Plays that you will See DVD-Audio words Show up on the Screen top right.

you also need to change a setting in the Menu to Play DVD-A. I can get the exact menu Option you need to change..

post #5 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

I have this Player you need to use the Analog Outs for SACD and DVD-A lossless. As for the DVD-A and using HDMI you Probally Not listening to the DVD-Audio but to the Lossy versions. To Test This theory Do you have "Love by The Beatles??

If so Put that DVD-A in if it Doesnt Play you havent got it hooked up correct. AS the Love DVD-A Only has a DVD-A Track No Lossy Tracks on it??

Or On your TV When you put in a DVD-A Disk and it Plays that you will See DVD-Audio words Show up on the Screen top right.

you also need to change a setting in the Menu to Play DVD-A. I can get the exact menu Option you need to change..

According to Denon: HDMI 1.1 (HDCP Compatible - SiL9030) - With Selectable Scaling - 480p/720p/1080i/*1080p and DVD-Audio Output

Notable absence of SACD.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

The player should pass DVD-A via HDMI just fine. Maybe your receiver can't decode DVD-A via HDMI properly. Or you haven't set the player's video resolution to a setting that will allow you to pass DVD-A via HDMI.

What it can't do, as noted, is pass SACD via HDMI.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #7 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

To Test This theory Do you have "Love by The Beatles??

The Love Special Edition DVD has DTS and Dolby Digital in addition to MLP/DVD-Audio.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page