Roxy Music's Avalon... spectacular SACD! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Surround Music Formats > Roxy Music's Avalon... spectacular SACD!

Surround Music Formats

EVizzle's Avatar EVizzle
12:13 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 33
10-28-2008 | Posts: 221
Joined: Aug 2007
I am sure many/most of you have it already, but Avalon is a great multichannel SACD and is a must have for those who don't! I sure hope multichannel audio continues, as this is how it should be listened to! Mine arrived today and it is on its second time around and getting better...
locomo's Avatar locomo
07:52 PM Liked: 12
post #2 of 33
10-28-2008 | Posts: 1,326
Joined: Dec 2002
Since you like that, try listening to Bryan Ferry's Frantic on SACD.
HogPilot's Avatar HogPilot
08:09 PM Liked: 23
post #3 of 33
10-28-2008 | Posts: 2,902
Joined: Jun 2006
I was a fan of the CD for years, but the first time I listened to the SACD I was really blown away. The audio quality is outstanding, but what really impressed me was the new surround mix, which really creates a great space around you without overusing the surround channels. It's one of my favorite demo disks to play for guests with my 7.1 Dunlavy setup.
bordo32's Avatar bordo32
07:39 AM Liked: 11
post #4 of 33
10-29-2008 | Posts: 211
Joined: Oct 2007
What multichannel SACD players do you use?
Are you using a 5.1 analog outputs from your players or digital stream is processed in the receiver?
007james's Avatar 007james
07:43 AM Liked: 11
post #5 of 33
10-29-2008 | Posts: 320
Joined: Jul 2006
You should look for Bryan Ferry's Boys and Girls and pick that up as well
jeffrey r's Avatar jeffrey r
07:44 AM Liked: 24
post #6 of 33
10-29-2008 | Posts: 969
Joined: Jun 2002
Yep, the Avalon SACD is awesome. I'd also recommend the Bryan Ferry Boys & Girls SACD.
pixelfun's Avatar pixelfun
09:04 AM Liked: 10
post #7 of 33
10-29-2008 | Posts: 46
Joined: May 2004
Yes, "Boys & Girls" is even better. I also have "Frantic" and "Avalon".
Blindamood's Avatar Blindamood
02:25 PM Liked: 15
post #8 of 33
10-29-2008 | Posts: 708
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post

What multichannel SACD players do you use?
Are you using a 5.1 analog outputs from your players or digital stream is processed in the receiver?

I'm using an Oppo DV-980H via HDMI out to my Denon AVR-3808CI receiver, which does the processing. This setup lets me do either DSD multi-channel direct or multi-channel PCM.

I don't have Frantic, but the other two are a couple of my favorite SACDs as well.
scottwayne's Avatar scottwayne
06:26 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 33
10-29-2008 | Posts: 47
Joined: Nov 2007
I also just got into multi-channel audio over the summer. "Avalon" is fantastic. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" is great as well. I found AIX Records through this forum and gave them a try. Check 'em out. You won't be disappointed. I never thought my system could sound so good.
EVizzle's Avatar EVizzle
08:34 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 33
10-29-2008 | Posts: 221
Joined: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post

What multichannel SACD players do you use?
Are you using a 5.1 analog outputs from your players or digital stream is processed in the receiver?

I am also outputting through HDMI, Pioneer Elite DV-48 to Pioneeer Elite 92 receiver.
EVizzle's Avatar EVizzle
08:35 PM Liked: 10
post #11 of 33
10-29-2008 | Posts: 221
Joined: Aug 2007
Anyone know where I can buy Boys & Girls for under $20?
konoyaro's Avatar konoyaro
09:16 PM Liked: 11
post #12 of 33
10-29-2008 | Posts: 396
Joined: Sep 2005
Amazon dot com has Boys & Girls at a ridiculously cheap price at the moment. They also have some of the Bowie 2 channel SACDs for a great price as well.
stumacdo's Avatar stumacdo
11:27 AM Liked: 10
post #13 of 33
10-30-2008 | Posts: 307
Joined: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post

Amazon dot com has Boys & Girls at a ridiculously cheap price at the moment. They also have some of the Bowie 2 channel SACDs for a great price as well.

Thanks for the tip. Picked it up for $10. Great price for a Hybrid SACD.
EVizzle's Avatar EVizzle
11:57 PM Liked: 10
post #14 of 33
10-30-2008 | Posts: 221
Joined: Aug 2007
thanks for the update, I ordered one too!
kevin j's Avatar kevin j
08:12 PM Liked: 14
post #15 of 33
10-31-2008 | Posts: 2,881
Joined: Feb 2002
I picked this SACD up a while back used for $5......the best $5 i've spent in a while.
vancouver's Avatar vancouver
01:10 PM Liked: 18
post #16 of 33
11-05-2008 | Posts: 4,069
Joined: Feb 2005
what kind of music is this are these curiously....can you compare them to another group?
kevin j's Avatar kevin j
02:23 PM Liked: 14
post #17 of 33
11-05-2008 | Posts: 2,881
Joined: Feb 2002
One of the bands i'd compare this to is Asia or a liitle bit like ELP imho or even 10CC to some degree[they're art rock imho].
EVizzle's Avatar EVizzle
04:49 PM Liked: 10
post #18 of 33
11-05-2008 | Posts: 221
Joined: Aug 2007
I think I would have a hard time categorizing them, my best recommendation would be to listen to some samples on itunes. The Avalon album is there to check out.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim
11:45 PM Liked: 69
post #19 of 33
11-05-2008 | Posts: 16,086
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

what kind of music is this are these curiously....can you compare them to another group?

Roxy Music was one of the defining glam rock bands, initially. This is their last album and is post-glam, though. Their big hit was "Love is the Drug". I do not know what to tell you it is like. That is hard to answer. They were very unique. I think that they were definitely influenced by many other of their British band cohorts, but not so overtly. Their sound changed from album to album, too. Always very "British". They are not really like any other bands. Other bands are like them, may be a better way to put it. They significantly influenced quite a few bands across several genres. Bowie's stuff from about the same time period (1982) is what I would say is most similar to this particular album................. I guess. They are a good band to explore as a springboard if you are into diving in like that. They will lead you far down many paths. Brian Eno was an early member. I would have to say they helped usher in 80s synth-pop. ABC, Flock of Seagulls, Soft Cell, Human League, OMD, Duran Duran, etc.. But don't let that discourage you from exploring them. They were probably a huge influence on the Talking Heads, XTC, The Cars, U2, The Police, and Queen, as well. Violent Femmes. The Flaming Lips. They are one of these bands whose importance and real influence becomes much more apparent in retrospect. They are still an influence to this day. Many, many bands tip their hats to Roxy Music and I'm sure many will in the future. A pretty important band in the pantheon of rock, actually. It is NOT rock-n-roll, btw.

See if this link works:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:aifqxqugldae
bleair's Avatar bleair
01:40 AM Liked: 10
post #20 of 33
11-06-2008 | Posts: 218
Joined: Nov 2005
For both of these groups you can enter their name and "youtube" into google and you be taken to a decent sample of their music. I'd agree with Kevin j's description, as being in the vein of Asia. Definitely 80s pop and a bit of progressive influence.

Thanks for the recommendations. I look forward to hearing these as a good surround mix
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim
11:31 AM Liked: 69
post #21 of 33
11-06-2008 | Posts: 16,086
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleair View Post

I'd agree with Kevin j's description, as being in the vein of Asia. Definitely 80s pop and a bit of progressive influence.

I disagree with a comparison to Asia, but whutevuh. No biggie.
hotguy8289's Avatar hotguy8289
06:22 PM Liked: 10
post #22 of 33
11-06-2008 | Posts: 495
Joined: Oct 2004
The big one here for me was "More than This". I fondly remember Avalon as a great make-out disc.
paulwozniak's Avatar paulwozniak
11:24 AM Liked: 10
post #23 of 33
11-11-2008 | Posts: 458
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Roxy Music was one of the defining glam rock bands, initially. This is their last album and is post-glam, though. Their big hit was "Love is the Drug". I do not know what to tell you it is like. That is hard to answer. They were very unique. I think that they were definitely influenced by many other of their British band cohorts, but not so overtly. Their sound changed from album to album, too. Always very "British". They are not really like any other bands. Other bands are like them, may be a better way to put it. They significantly influenced quite a few bands across several genres. Bowie's stuff from about the same time period (1982) is what I would say is most similar to this particular album................. I guess. They are a good band to explore as a springboard if you are into diving in like that. They will lead you far down many paths. Brian Eno was an early member. I would have to say they helped usher in 80s synth-pop. ABC, Flock of Seagulls, Soft Cell, Human League, OMD, Duran Duran, etc.. But don't let that discourage you from exploring them. They were probably a huge influence on the Talking Heads, XTC, The Cars, U2, The Police, and Queen, as well. Violent Femmes. The Flaming Lips. They are one of these bands whose importance and real influence becomes much more apparent in retrospect. They are still an influence to this day. Many, many bands tip their hats to Roxy Music and I'm sure many will in the future. A pretty important band in the pantheon of rock, actually. It is NOT rock-n-roll, btw.

See if this link works:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1:aifqxqugldae

Nice description. except I would say that they were more influential, than influenced. Can't think of anybody like them, before them, but many like them, after them.

For the record, I stopped listening at "Avalon". Great sounding record, but nowhere as interesting as the first five albums. The third album "Stranded(?)" is my favorite.
Franchot's Avatar Franchot
12:33 PM Liked: 12
post #24 of 33
11-11-2008 | Posts: 1,551
Joined: Mar 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwozniak View Post

For the record, I stopped listening at "Avalon". Great sounding record, but nowhere as interesting as the first five albums. The third album "Stranded(?)" is my favorite.

Agree. Roxy's first five LPs were prime stuff and arguably their best work. "Country Life" was always my fav by them.

(I've never thought much of "Avalon" and only bought it to hear the surround mix, hoping it might make me like the music better...it didn't.)
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim
01:02 PM Liked: 69
post #25 of 33
11-11-2008 | Posts: 16,086
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwozniak View Post

.................except I would say that they were more influential, than influenced.

Is that not what I conveyed? Sorry. What you emboldened was an opening to what I was trying to say. That being, "that they were more influential than influenced". Most definitely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwozniak View Post

For the record, I stopped listening at "Avalon".

Well, we didn't have much choice.



Yes, "Avalon" is not at all representative of Roxy Music. It IS very representative of the direction that Ferry headed.

LOL, I've always like "For Your Pleasure". There's 3 different opinions for ya.
paulwozniak's Avatar paulwozniak
11:24 AM Liked: 10
post #26 of 33
11-13-2008 | Posts: 458
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Is that not what I conveyed? Sorry. What you emboldened was an opening to what I was trying to say. That being, "that they were more influential than influenced". Most definitely.


Well, we didn't have much choice.



Yes, "Avalon" is not at all representative of Roxy Music. It IS very representative of the direction that Ferry headed.

LOL, I've always like "For Your Pleasure". There's 3 different opinions for ya.

LMAO, I hadn't thought that one all the way through. I loved the first 5 albums, "For Your Pleasure" was the first one I bought, and I went back to the store for the first album the next day. Those 5 albums are still in my rotation till this day.

Just figured out your "handle". Clever.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim
11:44 AM Liked: 69
post #27 of 33
11-13-2008 | Posts: 16,086
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwozniak View Post

I loved the first 5 albums, "For Your Pleasure" was the first one I bought, and I went back to the store for the first album the next day. Those 5 albums are still in my rotation till this day.

I could never thank a college friend, Steve, enough for turning me on, in the early 80s, to a whole other world of music. He turned me on to VU, Lou, Iggy, Patty Smith, New York Dolls, Roxy Music, etc.. Even Bowie in a roundabout way in that once I could appreciate those, I could REALLY appreciate Bowie's genius. And Fripp's solo stuff, even though I was already a Crimson fan. Which led to Gabriel's early solo stuff which brought me back for a different look at Genesis. And it even gave me a newfound appreciation for the Talking Heads, who I had always liked from their inception. Opened up a lot of doors for me and shaped my future music interests significantly. I can thank him for Television, Gang of Four, Wire, Joy Division, etc., etc.. Just a whole bunch of stuff I probably never would have listened to otherwise.
lefthandluke's Avatar lefthandluke
06:28 PM Liked: 77
post #28 of 33
11-13-2008 | Posts: 1,056
Joined: Aug 2007
great post...we've been on a very similar musical journey

in the 90's tho i took a few turns that i occasionally revisit... the housemartins, dada, the silo's, too much joy, spanic boys, the gunbunnies, the la's, et al...

the 90's...musically rich, under appreciated...

by the way... roxy music IS rock
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim
06:34 PM Liked: 69
post #29 of 33
11-13-2008 | Posts: 16,086
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

by the way... roxy music IS rock

Definitely rock. Just not rock and roll.


I hardly listen to most of that stuff, anymore. Bowie, occasionally. I have the Avalon SACD and have probably listened to it 2.5 times. And other than Avalon, I don't think I ever even had the earlier Roxy Music on CD; only vinyl. And all my vinyl got away from me a long time ago. At least I know where it is and that it is in safe hands (I hope).

My next journey, for better or worse, was Bill Laswell. Who IS actually connected in several ways to that "other" group I listed.
lefthandluke's Avatar lefthandluke
06:39 PM Liked: 77
post #30 of 33
11-13-2008 | Posts: 1,056
Joined: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Definitely rock. Just not rock and roll.



whutevuh...

Reply Surround Music Formats

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3