How to burn .dts audio and dts wav onto dvd - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-25-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HI
i want to add my audio collection onto dual layer dvds and play it on my dvd player. is there any software which can burn .dts audio files, dts wav files and regular wav files onto dvd which is playable in a dvd player. I used all the options offered by nero 9 without sucess.

please note i do not want to convert these files into any other format like mp3 etc and then burn them.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by laptopdoc View Post

HI
i want to add my audio collection onto dual layer dvds and play it on my dvd player. is there any software which can burn .dts audio files, dts wav files and regular wav files onto dvd which is playable in a dvd player. I used all the options offered by nero 9 without sucess.

please note i do not want to convert these files into any other format like mp3 etc and then burn them.

thank you

Not sure what you mean by ".dts audio files" but if you mean the VOB files that contain DTS audio from DVDs, yes, they can be burned onto DVD which makes a "DTS DVD". DTS WAVs can simply be burned onto a CD as a "DTS CD". And, yes, there are ways to make audio DVDs with regular wavs.

Do some web searching. There are several sites and forums dedicated to stuff like this.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 14 Old 12-25-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
The bigger question is "what will your player handle"? Most will not play these file types from disc. Some will play a wide selection of file types from disc or USB. So, start with your player and work back.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-25-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Most will not play these file types from disc.

If you burn it in the correct format on the correct disc they will play just fine. DTS-audio containing VOB files burned to DVD play just like any other DVD. DTS wavs burned to CD will play just like a CD. And, if you do it correctly, standard wavs OR DTS wavs burned to a DVD (an "audio DVD") will play just fine, too.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 14 Old 12-25-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

my dvd player plays all formats its a pioneer dv48av also it is connected to my pioneer elite vsx92 receiver which decodes dts and dts hdma etc. regarding if its a vob file it is not a vob file when i right click on the file and go to properties it says .dts under type of ile and some are dts wav files. i downloaded these from various torrent sites where i found them under dts music category.

if i am burning these as a data dvd they are not playing and if i am selcting the option in nero as make audio juke box dvd it is not even displaying the files when i try to add them from the source folder. so i was wondering if any software is there better than nero which can burn these files onto dvd and they play in my player. thanks for the advice so far i will update my progress.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-25-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...........when i right click on the file and go to properties it says .dts under type of file..............

Don't hold me to this, but as far as I know, .dts files are DTS wav files and can be renamed as such by changing the extension to .wav. But they may not be the correct 44.1kHz/16bit necessary to be burned on a CD. Nor can you simply burn them to a DVD as data and expect them to be played back by a DVD player. Burning wavs (any wavs) to a DVD to be played back as audio requires construction of an "audio DVD". Do some web searches. As I pointed out, there are several websites and forums dedicated to this sort of stuff.

Quote:

if i am burning these as a data dvd they are not playing............

As I pointed out, you can't simply burn them to DVDs as data. Just like audio CDs, DVDs have a very specific structure that is necessary for them to be recognized as a "DVD" by your player.

Quote:

...........and if i am selcting the option in nero as make audio juke box dvd................

I think that these files are some sort of proprietary Nero file that is only recognized by the Nero jukebox. Your DVD player will not play these.

Quote:

so i was wondering if any software is there better than nero which can burn these files onto dvd and they play in my player.

You are not alone in your needs. This is very common stuff, nowadays. Do some web searches. What you need to know is out there.

Nero will not be much help to you, if at all, btw.

post #7 of 14 Old 12-25-2008, 12:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

HI

thank you

DVDLab Pro will compile a list of .dts files into a DVD-Video DVD which can be played on any DVD player.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

thanks to everyone and sivadeselim. And Georgeshannon i will download dvdlabpro and try it thanks again.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-26-2008, 09:12 AM

I have a program called Audio DVD Creator that will make an "audio" DVD. I use it for 24 bit concerts that I've downloaded. I think you can also load it up with wavs and mp3s. I don't know if it will do dts or not, but it does AC3. I haven't tried a 5.1 disc though, just 24 bit stereo.

KrisM
post #10 of 14 Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Just got to this "old" thread, and I've the same objective:
building up some DVD's with DTS only tracks to play in my car (Audi A4 with Bang & Olufsen optional, capable to play DTS audio tracks in DVD's).
I've never authored a DVD, so I hope the sw will be sufficiently easy to use (I will try DVDLab Pro2).
Main objectives are:
- store DTS tracks only (to have as many as possible, at 1.5Mbs quality, on a DVD9)
- have a main menu to select one album (10-15 in one disk?)
- have different menus (one for each album) to look at the album tracks and start playing

Do you know if there are some nice (video) tutorials around for this "simple" job?
Many thanks
post #11 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeardi View Post

...(I will try DVDLab Pro2)...

I tried DVDLab Pro2, latest version, with some DTS files (Alan Parson Project, On Air album) that are correctly recognised by MediaInfo (and played by VLC). This is the first track, [Blue blue Sky]:
"Wave: 15.5MiB, 1mn32s
1 audio stream: DTS
First audio stream: Open, 44.1KHz, 20bits, 6 channels, DTS (LE/14)"

The problem is that, instead, DVDLab Pro2 does NOT correctly recognise the .DTS files (status = "??" in project bin), but still allows to create a project with them. Nonetheless it then returns a cryptic error during the DVD compile process: "pre verification fails. process abort! (error 1998)"

Do you know if do exist different DTS files that could be more or less compatible with DVDLab Pro2?
TIA
post #12 of 14 Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM

You cannot burn DTS-Files with SR 44,1 kHz on a dvd. The correct samplerate for dvd is 48 kHz.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 02:40 PM

Thanks, Bart!
So it would only be sufficient to upsample 44,1 to 48KHz?
Do you know any software to upsample wav DTS files? And to convert FLAC 5.1/24/48 to compliant DTS files?
Many thanks again!
post #14 of 14 Old 06-03-2012, 05:58 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Did you look at Adobe Encore CS6? They now have DTS authoring tools there.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page