Paranoid - Quad SACD - AVS Forum
Surround Music Formats > Paranoid - Quad SACD
ar surround's Avatar ar surround 07:00 PM 02-19-2009
Some time ago, Amazon listed Black Sabbath's Paranoid in multichannel SACD as a pre-order item and subsequently dropped it. Acoustic Sounds had recently listed it as a pre-order item with a February 17 arrival date. However, that date has past and now they do not advertise an arrival date. Does any one actually have some information as to what is going on with this release? Thanks.

sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 07:10 PM 02-19-2009
FYI, there is a very good quadraphonic vinyl to DVD-A transfer of this floating around the web.
William's Avatar William 07:36 PM 02-19-2009
March 31st is the latest release date.
Sherbona's Avatar Sherbona 08:34 PM 02-19-2009
Here's something from black-sabbath.com:
----------- snip ---------------
February 18, 2009
Paranoid 3 Disc Release
Remember that 3 disc Paranoid release that's been stopped about a dozen times or more at the last minute before it comes out? Well, in the last two days it's popped up again.

Yet again, I approached Iommi management about it, and inquired as to the status this time. This time I'm told that it is indeed coming out. The listed release date is April 6th, which is a few weeks before the new H&H disc. Whoever put this together certainly seems to have picked an amusing release date. Only way it could have been MORE amusing is if it was three weeks later.
----------- /snip ---------------

Source: http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/index.html
UT-Driven's Avatar UT-Driven 03:21 PM 02-20-2009
I have received countless new target dates for this one from CD Wow. I hope the April date is the final date.

Doug
ar surround's Avatar ar surround 06:39 PM 02-22-2009
Thanks all. We get so little product in popular music MC SACD these days that just about anything including rehashed quad releases are greatly appreciated.
ToEhrIsHuman's Avatar ToEhrIsHuman 06:40 PM 02-25-2009
Bad news about the SACD:

Quote:

The expected but oft-delayed UK release of one of the crown jewels from Black Sabbath, Paranoid, was originally planned as a 2-disc Deluxe Edition, one of them an SACD. Now, the set seems to have been transfigured as a 3CD set that will NOT yield an SACD but will, instead, deliver the re-mastered album, a second disc that offers the original Quadrophonic 4-channel mix, and a disc of coveted, previously unreleased materials. That disc is one with 8 tracks, six of them instrumental versions of familiar songs from the album and the remaining two are alternate lyrical versions. It is now expected to be released in Europe (UK) on April 6 by Universal Europe.

http://www.musictap.net/
Sherbona's Avatar Sherbona 12:34 PM 02-26-2009
Nuts, I'll stick with the excellent quad release that's "out there" instead if there's no SACD or DVD-A. Sometimes it seems like these music companies are trying to go out of business.
ar surround's Avatar ar surround 04:14 PM 02-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

Nuts, I'll stick with the excellent quad release that's "out there" instead if there's no SACD or DVD-A. Sometimes it seems like these music companies are trying to go out of business.

If it's not a SACD or DVD-Audio (or DTS disc), one must wonder how they would be able to deliver the original 4-channel mix?
manju1's Avatar manju1 11:13 PM 03-02-2009
WMA, MP3, OGG, VQF, WAV - not all of these terms are part of the basic vocabulary of a PC-user, but all of them describe specific audio-formats that have settled down as standards in the last months and years.
William's Avatar William 05:47 AM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by manju1 View Post

WMA, MP3, OGG, VQF, WAV - not all of these terms are part of the basic vocabulary of a PC-user, but all of them describe specific audio-formats that have settled down as standards in the last months and years.

So this means that Paranoid will be or won't be released as a SA-CD?
shinksma's Avatar shinksma 07:42 AM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar surround View Post

If it's not a SACD or DVD-Audio (or DTS disc), one must wonder how they would be able to deliver the original 4-channel mix?

My guess is a DVD-V disk with DD audio. Better would be DTS, but I'm not counting on it. The craptastic approach would be to do a plain-old 2-ch CD with encoded Dolby Surround. Gah. Let's hope they don't do that.

Sigh, it's bad enough that multi-channel releases are so hard to get. But to purposely avoid a lossless format like DVD-A or SACD while still bothering with a DVD-V, which has little impact on production cost (AFAIK), is really such a shame.

shinksma
ss9001's Avatar ss9001 07:52 AM 03-03-2009
The music industry is not known for their wise business decisions - just one more example of corporate stupidity

Too bad no SACD/DVD-A, I was really looking to get this one. And a discrete surround mix was the only way I would buy it. If it's matrixed surround, I'll pass. I've got old quad decoders that will do better than DPLIIx

ss9001
Fatawan's Avatar Fatawan 07:16 AM 03-11-2009
Awwwww rats! I was so looking forward to this in some form of high definition multichannel. I tried to find a contact address from that Black Sabbath fan site, but no luck. That guy seems to have good connections--I was hoping he would have a definitive answer. Anyone have contact info?
Trekari's Avatar Trekari 03:36 PM 03-14-2009
I've been unable to find the quad release that is "out there"
georgeshannon's Avatar georgeshannon 01:45 PM 03-15-2009
I just typed "black sabbath paranoid cd4" into a Google search window and found it. The first line returned from the search was an active source. Do you have access to Google search tools?
Trekari's Avatar Trekari 11:41 PM 03-15-2009
Yep, evidently I just looked in the wrong places/wrong terms initially.
Fatawan's Avatar Fatawan 06:33 AM 03-30-2009
CD WOW has shipped my Paranoid disc set today, but I have no idea what format I am getting!

http://www.cdwow.com/CD/BLACK-SABBAT...t/view/2358423 page stills says SACD
etzeppy's Avatar etzeppy 12:17 PM 03-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

CD WOW has shipped my Paranoid disc set today, but I have no idea what format I am getting!

http://www.cdwow.com/CD/BLACK-SABBAT...t/view/2358423 page stills says SACD

It won't be SACD. I assume it is like the recent Stormbringer release with a DVD-V containing DTS and DD tracks for the quad mix.
Fatawan's Avatar Fatawan 01:08 PM 03-30-2009
privit1's Avatar privit1 06:01 AM 03-31-2009
DTS DVD and not a full strength DVDA of the original QUAD mix. Not all bad but could be much much better.
shinksma's Avatar shinksma 09:29 AM 03-31-2009
Curiously, cdwow has a listing for an SACD version of Paranoid to be release next month:

http://www.cdwow.com/CD/BLACK-SABBAT...t/view/6914501

The page linked by Fatawan now says CD + DVD Audio, btw.

Is this indeed a separate release or just an old entry that needs to be deleted in their database?

Hmmm....

shinksma
Fatawan's Avatar Fatawan 07:02 PM 04-07-2009
What a complete ripoff! The DTS 5.1 quad mix is the worst. Whoever mastered this is a complete earless moron. It sounds horrid. If you haven't purchased this, don't.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 07:53 PM 04-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

What a complete ripoff! The DTS 5.1 quad mix is the worst. Whoever mastered this is a complete earless moron. It sounds horrid. If you haven't purchased this, don't.

Is it the sound quality or the actual mix that you are disappointed with? Is it the original quad mix or not? Do you have the quad vinyl transfer? If so, and the mixes are the same, does it sound better?

The original quad mix is a bit quirky, btw.
Fatawan's Avatar Fatawan 09:24 PM 04-09-2009
Sound quality, for sure. It's as if they are playing through many layers of dampening material. Sometimes the vocals are not even recognizable. It's pitiful. Nobody spent any time trying to get this right.
img eL's Avatar img eL 04:42 AM 05-08-2009
Whats the latest on the Paranoid Quad SACD? This is a travesty
ar surround's Avatar ar surround 06:56 AM 05-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

The people on Amazon who reviewed the quad mix (DVD-A) didn't seem too happy with it. They did like the CD however.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim 10:06 AM 05-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

I don't think that is happening. The "Deluxe Edition" remaster has already been released and it includes a DTS verison of the original quad mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar surround View Post

The people on Amazon who reviewed the quad mix (DVD-A) didn't seem too happy with it. They did like the CD however.

I do not think it is a DVD-A. I think it is a DTS DVD.

My understanding is that the quad mix that came with the recently released CDs is identical to the original quad mix. But that the quad transfer from vinyl that is available on the internets sounds much better.
diehardz's Avatar diehardz 04:04 PM 05-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by privit1 View Post

[IMG]http://www.******************/storage/411.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.******************/storage/397.jpg[/IMG]DTS DVD and not a full strength DVDA of the original QUAD mix. Not all bad but could be much much better.

Its A-Ok , and yeah it could have been better!
MSmith83's Avatar MSmith83 03:33 PM 09-18-2010
I finally listened to the Deluxe Edition. I agree that the quad mix on the DVD leaves much to be desired. I won't even bother ripping it to hard drive, as I will likely ignore it from now on.

Fortunately, the primary CD contains what I think is the best 2-channel offering of the album that I have yet to hear. I own many issues of this album, and this version seems to hit the sweet-spot in terms of clarity, balance and respectable dynamics. The bonus CD is nicely mastered as well.
Up
Mobile  Desktop