Beck, Sea Change - SACD vs DVD-A - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 118 Old 03-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Skimanfz1, check your link.

Mine should be here any day. I have the sacd also (thought I lost it once. Not easily replaced).

Do you ride a FZ1? I used to have a FZ6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 03-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes, I ride an FZ1. Not today though-it's snowing.

Link corrected in my previous post. Thanks for catching that.
post #93 of 118 Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimanfz1 View Post

Sea Change is available on Blu ray for $17.00 + $3.99 shipping here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00ELVVAG2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I don't have either the SACD or DVD-A versions, so I can't compare, but the Blu ray 5.1 version sounds fantastic to me.

Link corrected.

Amazon resellers is the way to get these HFPA's. I ordered Sea Change. Never heard Beck, but given the high praise I've read of both the album and the 5.1 mix, I did a "deaf buy" (I'm trade-marking this term as an analogy of blind buy). Looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype.
post #94 of 118 Old 03-02-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Amazon resellers is the way to get these HFPA's. I ordered Sea Change. Never heard Beck, but given the high praise I've read of both the album and the 5.1 mix, I did a "deaf buy" (I'm trade-marking this term as an analogy of blind buy). Looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype.

You're in for a treat. I got it on Bill Mac's recommendation (thanks Bill biggrin.gif) and it is an amazing sounding disc. Having great music on it doesn't hurt either. It's supposedly one of the best sounding HFPA's.
post #95 of 118 Old 03-03-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

You're in for a treat. I got it on Bill Mac's recommendation (thanks Bill biggrin.gif) and it is an amazing sounding disc. Having great music on it doesn't hurt either. It's supposedly one of the best sounding HFPA's.

I'm looking forward to it, but trying to keep my expectations low. It should be one of the best HFPA's, since it already had the outstanding surround mix. The idea of just porting existing mixes works great when those mixes happen to be stellar. I just hope I connect w/ the music. An awesome MCH mix is great, but if the music doesn't hit you... But like you, most rave about the quality of the music as well, even though it sounds like a bit of a downer thematically. I'm thinking like a male version of Joni- portrait of a disappointment being one of her main themes... But that's expecting way too much...

I'm anxious to give this a good audition. One thing about using resellers- no tracking #. I'm hoping by the end of the week...
post #96 of 118 Old 03-05-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm looking forward to it, but trying to keep my expectations low. It should be one of the best HFPA's, since it already had the outstanding surround mix. The idea of just porting existing mixes works great when those mixes happen to be stellar. I just hope I connect w/ the music. An awesome MCH mix is great, but if the music doesn't hit you... But like you, most rave about the quality of the music as well, even though it sounds like a bit of a downer thematically. I'm thinking like a male version of Joni- portrait of a disappointment being one of her main themes... But that's expecting way too much...

I'm anxious to give this a good audition. One thing about using resellers- no tracking #. I'm hoping by the end of the week...

It's a great album IMO, but you really have to be in the right mood to listen to it. It took me a couple of times to really get into it and I'm glad I gave it a chance to grow on me. Just don't pull it out at a party. It might not go over too well. wink.gif
post #97 of 118 Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

It's a great album IMO, but you really have to be in the right mood to listen to it. It took me a couple of times to really get into it and I'm glad I gave it a chance to grow on me. Just don't pull it out at a party.

Agree completely, although it might work well for a funeral party. eek.gif
acebreathe likes this.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #98 of 118 Old 03-06-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:

It's a great album IMO, but you really have to be in the right mood to listen to it. It took me a couple of times to really get into it and I'm glad I gave it a chance to grow on me. Just don't pull it out at a party. It might not go over too well. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Agree completely, although it might work well for a funeral party. eek.gif

Geez, now you guys got me worried... wink.gif

It can't be darker than SW's Raven though- I would hope...
post #99 of 118 Old 03-06-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

Geez, now you guys got me worried... wink.gif

It can't be darker than SW's Raven though- I would hope...

I haven't listened to the Raven in awhile but Sea Change can be a bummer especially if you are coming from a failed relationship. If one is then don't listen to Sea Change eek.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #100 of 118 Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I haven't listened to the Raven in awhile but Sea Change can be a bummer especially if you are coming from a failed relationship. If one is then don't listen to Sea Change eek.gif.

Bill

Coming from a failed relationship- is there any other kind??? tongue.gif Hopefully it's been long enough... rolleyes.gif

Raven is an album that is musically engrossing, w/ a fantastic MCH mix, but it is dark and brooding. Definitely have to be in the mood. While SC may be a downer, I doubt it can match the depths to which the Raven flies...

Will find out soon, hopefully. I'm expecting it any day.
post #101 of 118 Old 03-07-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Coming from a failed relationship- is there any other kind??? tongue.gif Hopefully it's been long enough... rolleyes.gif

Raven is an album that is musically engrossing, w/ a fantastic MCH mix, but it is dark and brooding

Have you heard Grace For Drowning? An excellent disc, but IMO it's much more dark and brooding than the Raven.

post #102 of 118 Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Have you heard Grace For Drowning? An excellent disc, but IMO it's much more dark and brooding than the Raven.

Wasn't that about his father who was dying? Painful subject matter but a great album. Another album in the same vein is Peter Gabriel's Up which is also about his father imminent demise. It's amazing these guys can put such painful emotions to such great music.
post #103 of 118 Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wasn't that about his father who was dying? Painful subject matter but a great album.

I really have no idea what the album is about. With Grace and Raven there's so much going on musically that I'm usually fixated on the SQ and surround mix as opposed to the lyrics. I agree about Peter Gabriel. He has some really cool stuff out there that's very different from the radio hits.

post #104 of 118 Old 03-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

This was considered a departure from his regular sound so if you do like it and decide to check out more Beck be prepared. I'm hoping that his new album Morning Phase gets a 5.1 mix at some point. It's being touted as a sequel of sorts to Sea Change in that the music is similar and most of the same musicians are back.
post #105 of 118 Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Quote:

This was considered a departure from his regular sound so if you do like it and decide to check out more Beck be prepared. I'm hoping that his new album Morning Phase gets a 5.1 mix at some point. It's being touted as a sequel of sorts to Sea Change in that the music is similar and most of the same musicians are back.

The music from Sea Change and Morning Phase are definitely different than Beck's typical lo-fi style songs like Loser, Where It's At, or Devil's Haircut. Beck has quite a variety of musical talent.
acebreathe likes this.

UNAVol
------------------------------------
There's nothing to see here.
post #106 of 118 Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 69
When this topic was started, way back in June 2009, the discussion was about comparing the SACD and DVD-A disc versions of Beck's Sea Change. However, in November 2013 a Blu-ray disc (HFPA) version was released which contains a 5.1 channel PCM and DTS-HD MA audio mix encoded at 192Kbps/24-bit.

Has anybody compared the HFPA version to the SACD and DVD-A releases?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #107 of 118 Old 03-09-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

When this topic was started, way back in June 2009, the discussion was about comparing the SACD and DVD-A disc versions of Beck's Sea Change. However, in November 2013 a Blu-ray disc (HFPA) version was released which contains a 5.1 channel PCM and DTS-HD MA audio mix encoded at 192Kbps/24-bit.

I haven't but I asked a friend of mine who's ears I trust, he has vinyl, SACD, DVD-A(as do I) and the BD.
The BD, SACD and DVD-A are equivalent according to him.
Take that FWIW.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #108 of 118 Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the blu ray and the SACD with no real way to compare them since I have one machine. I'd have to keep exchanging discs and I'm not sure how accurate my judgement would be swapping back and forth. If Milt's friend says they are equivalent that's enough for me.
post #109 of 118 Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Dynamic Range database has the two results that I uploaded showing they have same dynamic range:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Beck&album=Sea+Change

Only difference is the price really. I don't think I would know which one is playing although I've never really seriously A-B tested. But having said that I do prefer my music via PCM with Room EQ as opposed to SACD via analog without EQ.
post #110 of 118 Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thanks guys smile.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #111 of 118 Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

I have the blu ray and the SACD with no real way to compare them since I have one machine. I'd have to keep exchanging discs and I'm not sure how accurate my judgement would be swapping back and forth. If Milt's friend says they are equivalent that's enough for me.
I'm truly honored. Thank you.
The thing that is nice is that people who missed out on this in the day can get impeccably recorded music for a nice price.
If anyone doesn't have Sea Change already, buy it while you can.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #112 of 118 Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

The thing that is nice is that people who missed out on this in the day can get impeccably recorded music for a nice price.
You're welcome. And I agree buy the disc while you can. It's worth it.
post #113 of 118 Old 03-12-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

So you like it?
post #114 of 118 Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't heard the BD but have had the DVD-A since it came out and yeah it's a beautiful album with an awesome 5.1 mix.
Waiting for Beck's newest to be availble for hi-res download.

post #115 of 118 Old 03-14-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Yep, one the reasons I haven't bothered to listen to this album in years, just not in the mood for it, and even then I'm only listening just a few songs never the entire album. (SACD) It's a shame because the production is top notch and yeas it is an exemplary surround mix. YMMV

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #116 of 118 Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

The original recording isn't 192/24 so an up sampled master won't do anything here nor it should. The HFPA is just another marketing effort to resell the same material. "DTS HD MA mix" is a misnomer.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #117 of 118 Old 03-14-2014, 08:57 PM

I got the HFPA disc last week and have listened a couple times. SQ and surround mix are excellent. The music I like, but not love. It's still too early to know how much I will end up liking it, but I don't see it getting a ton of play. It's not that the music is so moody, which it certainly is; it's more that there's so little contrast in the music. Dark is cool w/ me, but there needs to be some Light too. It just gets kind of monotonous after a while- and when I put on an album, I generally like to listen to the whole thing. But this seems to be something that will have a hard time holding my interest for the whole album. TBH, if I had this music in stereo, I doubt if I'd listen to it much at all. But the fantastic 5.1 mix elevates it greatly.
post #118 of 118 Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Looks like after all this time I'd better get the Blu-ray smile.gif
acebreathe likes this.

Reply Surround Music Formats