Old 06-14-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

..... Since many SACDs start with a PCM source, even this isn't always a given. However, I've at least convinced myself it's not just placebo effect. wink.gif

Right and we never know the source. PCM to DSD and back to PCM - Crazy. I would swear that some SACD's sound no better than the CD of the same record. I have also experienced this with downloads of "Hi-Res" recordings from commercial music sites. Some of the downloads are just plain awful. They are supposedly 24/96 or 24/192 but if they start with low res or an improperly converted recording, the higher resolution is of no value to my ears. I am now very leery of buying from some of the sites for this reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

I would swear that some SACD's sound no better than the CD of the same record.

That's been my experience with some the recent SHM-SACD's that are overpriced and sound no better than Redbook CD.
Quote:

I have also experienced this with downloads of "Hi-Res" recordings from commercial music sites. Some of the downloads are just plain awful. They are supposedly 24/96 or 24/192 but if they start with low res or an improperly converted recording, the higher resolution is of no value to my ears. I am now very leery of buying from some of the sites for this reason.

I think some of these "hi-rez" downloads are just marketing gimmickry. Trash in, Trash out. I've been burned enough that I almost never buy from a download site unless I've seen other reviews first. I used to regularly blind-buy DVD-A and SACD discs if I liked the music, but the quality of the supposed hi-rez releases seems much more uneven these days. Not that there weren't some turds in the past also.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I missed this post earlier and just saw it. I haven't tried joining FLAC files, but I have ripped single per-disc FLAC files for those recordings where gapless playback is essential such as Love, Abbey Road, DSOTM, etc.

The biggest negative is you lose track info and navigation control (except ff and rw). However, as long as you listen to those recordings straight through from beginning to end, it's not a problem.

I would think if you use a program such as HJSPLIT on individual FLAC files after they've been created, it would accomplish the same thing. However, I don't know what would happen to the tag info if they are joined, that might be an interesting experiment.

Getting back to this issue with the Oppo, you may already know this method but with Foobar one can use the Output format/Destination/Generate multi-track files to merge single flac files into one large file. As you state, you lose the individual song title tags and the album art but it retains the artist and album tag. It is then an easy matter to go back using mp3tag to add the album art and add your own title. Pause, FF and RW still work and it displays and plays just fine in Twonky and my -93. So the only thing missing would be individual title tracks and the ability to jump to individual tracks within the combined file. I guess one could write down the time stamps to be able to do this but I generally listen to entire album sides anyway and with most of those types of albums they are meant to be listened to all together. And since the big file was created from the individual flac files, one can keep both on the NAS and have them in both formats to listen to...........

I just tried it with my Love DVD-A rip and it played just fine. The resulting file size is approx. the same as adding up the size of each individual song.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not familiar with this process using Foobar. So this takes existing individual FLAC files and merges them into one FLAC file? Does it do this without gaps between tracks?

When I've ripped a single per-disc FLAC file I go back to the source disc and rip it again using Foobar. I will also then create a cue sheet with the track points. This method preserves whatever gaps may exist on the original recording.

The biggest issue I could see merging individual FLAC files that have already been created is the gap info would be missing. For instance, Abbey Road has half of it's tracks with gaps (Side A of the album), while Side B is gapless. If you merge the individual files, it would seem you would create a single FLAC that is either totally gapless, or has default gaps between tracks, but you would lose whatever was on the original recording.

I'm wondering if there is a way to merge the files with the appropriate gaps if you have a cue sheet with the track points? There are sources around the interweb for finding cue sheets for many popular recordings.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not familiar with this process using Foobar. So this takes existing individual FLAC files and merges them into one FLAC file? Does it do this without gaps between tracks?
When I've ripped a single per-disc FLAC file I go back to the source disc and rip it again using Foobar. I will also then create a cue sheet with the track points. This method preserves whatever gaps may exist on the original recording.
The biggest issue I could see merging individual FLAC files that have already been created is the gap info would be missing. For instance, Abbey Road has half of it's tracks with gaps (Side A of the album), while Side B is gapless. If you merge the individual files, it would seem you would create a single FLAC that is either totally gapless, or has default gaps between tracks, but you would lose whatever was on the original recording.
I'm wondering if there is a way to merge the files with the appropriate gaps if you have a cue sheet with the track points? There are sources around the interweb for finding cue sheets for many popular recordings.

If you want, PM me with your email and I will send you the file that I created from the first three tracks of LOVE. To me, it sounds just like the DVD-Audio; However, you may hear something I am missing or not hear something that should be there. Or, you could try Foobar with Abbey Road and see if it works for you. It is a very easy process since you already have the flac files. Just drag the files over and tell foobar what to do with them.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll try it myself, but I'm not sure of the process. Is this using the Convert command?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll try it myself, but I'm not sure of the process. Is this using the Convert command?

Yes, drag your files into the right pane, highlight them, right click convert, click on destination and select Generate Multi-track file from the three options.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You may already do something like this now but I have a folder called TEST in the root of my NAS that I save all my "playing around files" . That way I can find the files easily when I go to play them back through the Oppo and Twonky - don't have to wade up and down through all my folders/subfolders.

I also don't have to go back and clean up files and tracks I don't want to keep since I can wipe the entire folder without worrying about deleting something I want to keep (yes - I have done this).
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may already do something like this now but I have a folder called TEST in the root of my NAS that I save all my "playing around files" . That way I can find the files easily when I go to play them back through the Oppo and Twonky - don't have to wade up and down through all my folders/subfolders.
I also don't have to go back and clean up files and tracks I don't want to keep since I can wipe the entire folder without worrying about deleting something I want to keep (yes - I have done this).

Nope, I've never accidentally wiped out an entire folder containing hundreds of FLAC files without a backup. It didn't take me untold hours to re-rip and re-tag said files, so I don't know what you're talking about. biggrin.gif
Old 07-12-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope, I've never accidentally wiped out an entire folder containing hundreds of FLAC files without a backup. It didn't take me untold hours to re-rip and re-tag said files, so I don't know what you're talking about. biggrin.gif
Ha!

I learned my lesson many years ago (1980's) when using a program called Managing Your Money. This was back when a big hard drive was 3 mb. Anyway, I got a program upgrade and it had to convert all the data files from the old version to the new version and the program assured me "nothing would be lost" during the process. So, I didn't bother to back up and back in those days, there really wasn't any good way to back up (cough...... tape drive?). About 3/4 of the way through the hours long routine, it crashed my computer and when I rebooted I discovered that all my data for about 4 years was totally corrupt and worthless. I was so mad I could have hurt myself.

Since then, I have been pretty good about backing up, copying and keeping all versions of programs and data versions. I have about 10 hard drives in my closet with old programs and data - just in case. Let me see here..........I think I may still have the 5-1/4" floppies laying around of that MYM program somewhere........smile.gif

Let me know how your files work out with the foobar method - I'm curious to know your results.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Ha!
I learned my lesson many years ago (1980's) when using a program called Managing Your Money. This was back when a big hard drive was 3 mb. Anyway, I got a program upgrade and it had to convert all the data files from the old version to the new version and the program assured me "nothing would be lost" during the process. So, I didn't bother to back up and back in those days, there really wasn't any good way to back up (cough...... tape drive?). About 3/4 of the way through the hours long routine, it crashed my computer and when I rebooted I discovered that all my data for about 4 years was totally corrupt and worthless. I was so mad I could have hurt myself.
Since then, I have been pretty good about backing up, copying and keeping all versions of programs and data versions. I have about 10 hard drives in my closet with old programs and data - just in case. Let me see here..........I think I may still have the 5-1/4" floppies laying around of that MYM program somewhere........smile.gif
Let me know how your files work out with the foobar method - I'm curious to know your results.

Andrew Tobias is still alive... sue him!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Andrew Tobias is still alive... sue him!
biggrin.gif
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found some time to experiment with this and Foobar certainly does seem to merge individual FLAC files into a single, gapless FLAC file that is identical to the disc. In fact, I started with the Love multi-channel FLAC files, because I had already ripped a single FLAC file from the disc, in addition to individual FLAC files. When I merged the individual files using Foobar, amazingly, the resulting FLAC file was exactly the same size as the single FLAC file I ripped from the DVD-A disc, down to the byte. It also sounded exactly as it should.

I then tried Abbey Road and it also gave me a gapless FLAC file. My concern about Abbey Road was unfounded, as the silence at the end of the tracks such as Come Together and Something are built in to the end of the tracks, they are not gaps, per se, while Sun King, Mean Mr. Mustard, and Polythene Pam play straight through just as it should.

This is a much quicker method for creating a single gapless FLAC file versus re-ripping it from the disc. I've used the Convert function in Foobar hundreds of times to convert files, but I had never paid attention to the Merge option, so thanks for pointing that out!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 164
This would be a good time for everybody using this free utility and finding it a benefit to go to the website and "support" the project. smile.gif

Jeff
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

This would be a good time for everybody using this free utility and finding it a benefit to go to the website and "support" the project. smile.gif
Jeff

That's a really good idea. I've gotten tremendous use from Foobar over the years. I'm also using it more and more these days to stream SACD ISOs to my Oppo. I even found I could set up a streaming profile and stream SACD ISOs and DVD-A ISOs and transcode them to mp3 on-the-fly to a PS3 in the family room for background music. How cool is that!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I even found I could set up a streaming profile and stream SACD ISOs and DVD-A ISOs and transcode them to mp3 on-the-fly to a PS3 in the family room for background music.

Any more info or a link on how to do this? Intrigued. I do have a Synology NAS that transcodes on the fly, but I didn't know you could do this with ISOs. I've got a couple of DVD-As I'd like to put on my NAS if it's possible.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac View Post

Any more info or a link on how to do this? Intrigued. I do have a Synology NAS that transcodes on the fly, but I didn't know you could do this with ISOs. I've got a couple of DVD-As I'd like to put on my NAS if it's possible.

If you're familiar with Foobar, for DVD-A's you need the DVD-Audio decoder plug-in, for SACD's, you need the SACD decoder plug-in. Once you have those set up in Foobar, you should be able to play the ISOs directly on a pc using Foobar. For streaming, you then need to set up streaming profiles using the UPnP plug-in. I've spend some time fiddling with settings and I'm still learning what some of the option are. I use a separate profile for SACD because it seems finicky. Here is my SACD streaming profile for streaming to my Oppo:

Use profile when: User-Agent contain OPPO (Note: this is dependent on what device you are streaming to. OPPO is what works streaming to my Oppo, Playstation 3 works for my PS3)
sample-rate range: 88200 to 88200
Max bit depth: 24
Transcode to MP3: Never with Except box empty and lossless and internet connection unchecked
Decode to PCM: never to lpcm with Except box empty
Audio Processing: no DSP's active

Also, in Basic Settings, untick the Always use the default streaming profile for all devices

For the SACD plugin, make sure the ASIO Driver Mode is set to PCM and PCM Samplerate is set to 88200. I'm also currently using the DSD2PCM Mode of Direct (Double-Precision, 30kHz LF) but others also work, some better than others when streaming. With a couple of modes, I was getting stuttering or pauses. Streaming SACD ISOs is fairly CPU intensive, but the plugin has come a long way and is much better than it used to be.

For DVD-A's, the major difference is I change the sample-rate range to 44100 to 192000 because I have DVD-A's that have all types of sample rates. For some reason if I use this setting for SACD ISO's, Foobar wants to resample everything to 192000.

For the Playstation, I've created a different streaming profile and change the Transcode to MP3 setting to Always, change the Max bit depth to 16, and a few other changes. When the Foobar media server is selected by the device (in my case Oppo or PS3), the appropriate streaming profile is automatically selected.

Hope this helps.

More info here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=69664
Old 07-14-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a much quicker method for creating a single gapless FLAC file versus re-ripping it from the disc. I've used the Convert function in Foobar hundreds of times to convert files, but I had never paid attention to the Merge option, so thanks for pointing that out!

Glad it worked for you. I will probably do this to mine pretty soon, especially with my Pink Floyd SACD rips - can't listen to them out of order or with gaps. By the way, I upgraded to XT32 on my pre/pro recently and my SACD rips to Flac sound much better now. Still not quite the same as the shiny disc, but darn close.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Glad it worked for you. I will probably do this to mine pretty soon, especially with my Pink Floyd SACD rips - can't listen to them out of order or with gaps. By the way, I upgraded to XT32 on my pre/pro recently and my SACD rips to Flac sound much better now. Still not quite the same as the shiny disc, but darn close.

There is a plugin that plays SACD ISO's if you didn't know.

Jeff
Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

There is a plugin that plays SACD ISO's if you didn't know.
Jeff

Yes - for a PC. I was referencing previous discussions about playback of SACD to FLAC conversions on our Oppo -93/-95 via connected NAS drive. SCOLUMBO had found his SACD to FLAC rips didn't sound the same as the shiny discs which is my opinion too; However, my upgrade to XT32 made such a dramatic difference in my sources that even these files now sound good. Sorry I didn't include the previous post about that discussion - I find the older I get the more I assume everyone knows what I am talking about.biggrin.gif
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A couple questions:

Is there any way to display song titles in foobar with DVDA iso's?
Is there any way to rename a DVDA iso without reauthoring?
What is the deal with album art and DVDA iso's in foobar? Some work by naming the cover pic "front" or "folder" some don't?

TIA,Eric
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

A couple questions:

Is there any way to display song titles in foobar with DVDA iso's?
Is there any way to rename a DVDA iso without reauthoring?
What is the deal with album art and DVDA iso's in foobar? Some work by naming the cover pic "front" or "folder" some don't?
TIA,Eric

You can display track titles of DVD-A ISOs by editing the metadata from the Properties tab. This will save the metadata to a database file stored in Foobar, it's not embedded in the ISO. Although it hasn't been updated in awhile, metadata for some common DVD-A ISOs can be found in this file: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/files/dvda_metabase/

You can rename a DVD-A ISO filename to anything you want.

Album art is displayed if there is a pic file containing artwork in the folder with the DVD-A ISO, again it can't be embedded in the ISO file itself. You can tell Foobar what to look for in the Display>Album Art dialog box. I'm not sure what the defaults are, but the search list can be easily modified. I have front.jpg, cover.jpg, folder.jpg, %filename%.jpg, and %album%.jpg for the album Front which includes just about any artwork filename I use. If you have problems displaying artwork, do they have the same file extension as listed in Foobar? I believe you can add to the search list to include other pic file types (e.g. bmp, png, etc.), although I'm not sure what file types are supported. If I have pics with other file extensions, I always convert the Front and Back covers to jpg files.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! I have everything working but the DVDA_database? I unziped XML files to the app data/roaming/foobar2000/dvda_metabase folder. Play a DVDA that is in the XML files (REM Best of or Mark Knofer Shangri La) neithr displayed anything in foobar. am I forgetting a step. When I manually enter info it works in foobar but I don't see the XML file I just created. Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! I have everything working but the DVDA_database? I unziped XML files to the app data/roaming/foobar2000/dvda_metabase folder. Play a DVDA that is in the XML files (REM Best of or Mark Knofer Shangri La) neithr displayed anything in foobar. am I forgetting a step. When I manually enter info it works in foobar but I don't see the XML file I just created. Thanks again for the help!

IIRC, you have to remove the existing DVD-A's from your library and then rebuild the library. The metadata from the metabase folder should then appear.

By the way, there is a similar metabase file for SACD ISOs: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/sacd_metabase/
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

All is working now! Instead of putting all the files in the dvda_metabase folder I only put the few files I need. All is working and sounding great! gobble gobble
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All is working now! Instead of putting all the files in the dvda_metabase folder I only put the few files I need. All is working and sounding great! gobble gobble

Great. Listening to Knopfler's Shangri-La now, what sweet music!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just wondering is the foorbar dvd-audio plugin able to play 24bit audio over HDMI. To an AV receiver capable of decoding 24bit 96k multichannel and 24bit 192k stereo?

Also noticed that 24bit 48k DVD-Audio that I have gets detected in foobar as 24bit 44.1k 96k and 192k audio is correctly detected. ANybody know why?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g12345567 View Post

Just wondering is the foorbar dvd-audio plugin able to play 24bit audio over HDMI. To an AV receiver capable of decoding 24bit 96k multichannel and 24bit 192k stereo?

Yes.

Quote:
Also noticed that 24bit 48k DVD-Audio that I have gets detected in foobar as 24bit 44.1k 96k and 192k audio is correctly detected. ANybody know why?

Have you checked your pc soundcard settings to be sure it's not resampling to 44.1 kHz? Although I would think Foobar should still recognize the source as 48kHz. I have quite a few 24/48 DVD-A's that are correctly detected by Foobar.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi all,

I have been happily using this plugin with foobar 1.29. The version on my main PC is 0.4.8.

I have a new install of foobar on the downstairs rig running Windows 8.1. I had downloaded the latest version of this dll, whcih is 0.4.11 and nothing seemed to play with Foobar 1.29, 1.31 or 1.3.1.

The new setup will play SACD files using that plug in.

Any suggestions in terms of downgrading Foobar itself or trying the old dll (0.4.8) ?

I admit I am a big confused as to where to go next.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

Hi all,

I have been happily using this plugin with foobar 1.29. The version on my main PC is 0.4.8.

I have a new install of foobar on the downstairs rig running Windows 8.1. I had downloaded the latest version of this dll, whcih is 0.4.11 and nothing seemed to play with Foobar 1.29, 1.31 or 1.3.1.

The new setup will play SACD files using that plug in.

Any suggestions in terms of downgrading Foobar itself or trying the old dll (0.4.8) ?

I admit I am a big confused as to where to go next.

You'll probably have better luck asking/looking in the foobar2000 support forum: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=28

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison