DVD-Audio decoder for foobar2000 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 394 Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. When I look at the directory of my DVD-A disks, I see only *.cda files. Foobar (with the decoder installed) will not read this type of file. I don't see the TS_audio subdirectory on the disks I have (Diana Krall, Steely Dan, a couple of others). I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated. I'm quickly being converted to pc-based audio. I'm using Foobar2000 w/WASAPI w/SoX dsp into my Benchmark HDR via USB; it sound great.
Tom

Tom

My HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 394 Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsully99 View Post

I know this is a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. When I look at the directory of my DVD-A disks, I see only *.cda files. Foobar (with the decoder installed) will not read this type of file. I don't see the TS_audio subdirectory on the disks I have (Diana Krall, Steely Dan, a couple of others). I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated. I'm quickly being converted to pc-based audio. I'm using Foobar2000 w/WASAPI w/SoX dsp into my Benchmark HDR via USB; it sound great.
Tom

Sounds as though you are looking at SACD discs, and are seeing the CDA layer.
post #93 of 394 Old 11-17-2009, 01:17 PM

I am new to this thread (but certainly not AVS) and based on the messages here maybe someone can help.
I have recently ripped my cd collection using Windows media player onto my computer for playback thru my networked PS3 on my receiver (and soon also a new WD Live HD media player). I have been searching for a method to rip a few DVD-A discs that I own but until now I have been unable to find a way to do it until I found this thread. I would also like to rip a bunch of DTS audio discs as well as a few SACD's.
Is this possible using the software described in this thread (i.e. Foobar) and the one provided by the generous individual who has done the great work many have commented on - I will appreciate any feedback and guidance. Please explain what is needed for me to do this.
Thanks for any help.
post #94 of 394 Old 11-17-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwood View Post

I am new to this thread (but certainly not AVS) and based on the messages here maybe someone can help.
I have recently ripped my cd collection using Windows media player onto my computer for playback thru my networked PS3 on my receiver (and soon also a new WD Live HD media player). I have been searching for a method to rip a few DVD-A discs that I own but until now I have been unable to find a way to do it until I found this thread. I would also like to rip a bunch of DTS audio discs as well as a few SACD's.
Is this possible using the software described in this thread (i.e. Foobar) and the one provided by the generous individual who has done the great work many have commented on - I will appreciate any feedback and guidance. Please explain what is needed for me to do this.
Thanks for any help.

You can do nothing with SACD discs except rip the CD-A layer if it's a hybrid disc.

DVD-A is very nicely ripped with DVDFab, making a bit-for-bit clone of the disc. If you want to play with the tracks, try DVDAExplorer to rip them to PCM. Be aware that the watermarks may introduce problems on some discs.

DTS audio CDs are just that - CDs. But without a DTS decoder on your PC you won't get much done with them.

I have not tried ripping DVD-A with Foobar2000 and can't comment on that.
post #95 of 394 Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM

Thak you Rdgrimes..
since it soundslike the DTS discs are possibleand they are the largest share of my collection, can I rip them using WMC? what format do I select? wav, mp3? I am not concerned withplaying them on my computer but since my Receiver , PS3 and WD HD live do have DTS decoders will the files play?
I appreciate your help I will try the DVDAExplorer software you suggest..is the output PCM the default format?
Thank you again for your help
post #96 of 394 Old 11-17-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwood View Post

Thak you Rdgrimes..
since it soundslike the DTS discs are possibleand they are the largest share of my collection, can I rip them using WMC? what format do I select? wav, mp3? I am not concerned withplaying them on my computer but since my Receiver , PS3 and WD HD live do have DTS decoders will the files play?
I appreciate your help I will try the DVDAExplorer software you suggest..is the output PCM the default format?
Thank you again for your help

You can't rip a DTS disc to any other format without first decoding the DTS. The signal is divided between the 2 "channels" and must be decoded to create the 5.1. I've never tried ripping one to PC, but if you did you'd just get 2 channels of hash that still needed to be combined and decoded together. Good luck and try searching for help in audio forums.

DVDAExplorer gives you options for ripping the tracks to different formats, PCM and FLAC being the 2 most common.
post #97 of 394 Old 11-18-2009, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
when you say "dts discs" do you mean cd or dvd? You can use a program called DVD Audio Extractor to rip individual dts tracks from your discs (choose direct stream). Then you have to be able to stream them to your ps3 and your ps3 has to be able to play those types of streaming files.
post #98 of 394 Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 AM

Hi manisiutkin, I noticed the change log of 0.2.8 mentioned dvda_titleset/dvda_title/dvda_track metadata added. Does it means that you can now save the metadata inside foobar, via the properties dialog box?
post #99 of 394 Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

No,it doesn't. Unfortunately, there's no way to save something on read-only media. I thought about solution for this, some kind of "database" to save info. But, definitely, that "playlist extender" should be external to decoder, not the part of it.
post #100 of 394 Old 11-26-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAfrica View Post

Roll on the day when we can do the same with SACD!!

haha... not likely.

You may have to eat your words one day (which is good news). We already have a foobar DSD plugin now, which will play a DSD file in 32-bit and up to 192kHz PCM on the fly. We're getting closer. bit by bit.
post #101 of 394 Old 11-26-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

That's the step, but there still should be a big leap between DSD and DCT playback Or not?
post #102 of 394 Old 11-26-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfalks View Post

We already have a foobar DSD plugin now, which will play a DSD file in 32-bit and up to 192kHz PCM on the fly. We're getting closer. bit by bit.

Nice. I would love to someday rip my SACDs into 88.2kHz/24-bit FLAC files. The CD layer on some of my discs have horrible dynamic compression whereas the SACD layer does not. As a result, I've been using a ghetto method with some 2-channel SACD tracks for the time being, which involves recording my Denon 2930's DSD-decoded analog output into high-res PCM using my X-Fi's software. It is not ideal, but it makes the well-mastered music portable.
post #103 of 394 Old 11-26-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisiutkin View Post

that's the step, but there still should be a big leap between dsd and dct playback or not?

dct? :s or do you mean sacd? yeah well that one is slightly more complicated Although iso playback could easily be a possibility, but I doubt disc, which requires some funky drives to read it and pass the protection. (although there IS dvd drive firmware hacking, isn't there....the "third block"...we'll see, eh? :P))
post #104 of 394 Old 11-26-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

DCT. It means compressed DSD. Tracks on SACD are encoded in DCT and you have to develop decoder to make SACD playback possible (DCT for SACD is like MLP for DVDA).
post #105 of 394 Old 11-27-2009, 02:28 AM
T7T

Quote:

DCT. It means compressed DSD. Tracks on SACD are encoded in DCT and you have to develop decoder to make SACD playback possible (DCT for SACD is like MLP for DVDA).

You're mixing up some TLAs

It's DST for Direct Stream Transfer i.e. losslessly compressed DSD.
DCT stands for Discrete Cosine Transform, a mathemetical technique typically used in all kinds of lossy compression algorhitms like JPEG, MPEG video and MP3.
post #106 of 394 Old 11-27-2009, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, my fault. I've abbreviated "DSD Compressed Transfer".
post #107 of 394 Old 11-27-2009, 05:41 AM
T7T

Quote:

Sorry, my fault. I've abbreviated "DSD Compressed Transfer".

No problem You can check the SACD FAQ for more information if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfalks View Post

You may have to eat your words one day (which is good news). We already have a foobar DSD plugin now, which will play a DSD file in 32-bit and up to 192kHz PCM on the fly. We're getting closer. bit by bit.

That is really great but you've got at least one fairly insurmountable problem to overcome: There is no optical drive available that will play an SACD (other than the CD layer) in a PC. That's a hardware issue that can't be solved/worked-around in software.

Quote:

That's the step, but there still should be a big leap between DSD and DCT playback Or not?

There is. Apparently it's extremely processor-intensive to decompress DST to DSD -- PS3 uses three SPE cores to do so (and another two to convert DSD to hi-res PCM). But I've never seen a DST stream anywhere else than on an actual SACD. The DSD Disc format only supports stereo DSD and even those Korg 1-bit recorders don't go beyond that.
post #108 of 394 Old 11-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:

DST is an ISO standard called ISO/IEC 14496-5:2001/Amd.10:2007 and it's really crappy reference implementation is freely available here.
post #109 of 394 Old 11-30-2009, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reference. At least this dull code is easy to read, which is good for the reference implementation Seems that we shoudn't expect a good encoding and decoding performance and compression from any implementation in software just because DSD sampling frequency is too high.
post #110 of 394 Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Didn't someone ask about tag support? Sorry about doing that in a minimalistic way.
post #111 of 394 Old 12-17-2009, 12:37 AM

manisiutkin, where is the dvda_metabase folder locate? Seems the plugin cannot create it by itself, when I change the properties.
post #112 of 394 Old 12-17-2009, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Please check console message: "Error: Cannot create metabase directory ..."

Now version 0.3.2 shows where metabase was created (or not created).
post #113 of 394 Old 12-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not an experienced foobar user, but decided to give it a try after just learning about the dvd-a plugin.

I installed foobar2000 v1.0 beta 5 on my PC which runs Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit). Then I downloaded 'foo_input_dvda-0.3.2.zip', extracted it and copied the 'foo_input_dvda.dll' file to my foobar2000\\components\\ folder. I also downloaded and extracted 'dvda_metabase_2009.12.21.zip', but I'm not sure what to do with all the xml files.

Then I inserted my only DVD-A disc (Barenaked Ladies - Everything to Everyone) into my DVD drive. Using the File->Open command in foobar, I navigate to the 'AUDIO_TS' folder. Foobar's default filter is 'All supported types', and the selection list includes 5 files with the AOB extension and 1 AUDIO_TS.IFO file. After selecting the AUDIO_TS.IFO file and picking Open, I get a brief message saying 'processing...' and a long list of tracks appear in the playlist view and then it crashes. It also crashed with the AOB files.

I tried this on another system running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and it also crashed. I haven't had a chance to try with other hardware or operating systems.

Has anyone successfully used this plugin with Windows 7 64-bit?

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
post #114 of 394 Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Downloaded the plug in. Thank you!

Finally, 24/192 asio to the E-MU 0404!

But no playback of 24/96 from the DVD video layer with this.

Is there another program or plug in that allows 24/96 asio output from non-MLP DVD video layered discs like the DADs from Classic Records, etc?

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
post #115 of 394 Old 12-23-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

to Gregg Plummer:

Thank you for feedback about x64 playback issues. On freshly installed Windows 7 x64 foobar played fine, but (fortunately) crashed on exit. Will try to fix that.
On Windows 7 dvda_metabase subfolder should be put in "C:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Roaming\\foobar2000" folder.
post #116 of 394 Old 12-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7T View Post

That is really great but you've got at least one fairly insurmountable problem to overcome: There is no optical drive available that will play an SACD (other than the CD layer) in a PC. That's a hardware issue that can't be solved/worked-around in software.

There is one drive I know which can COPY the contents of an sacd (with a really funky method) and then you can create an SACD ISO (SACD is merely UDF 2.0 on a DVD with a specific block size when it is burnt to disc), and from there, with a (viable) DST decoder (whether to DSD or PCM), you could more or less play an SACD ISO in foobar. That's all I'll say though, I'm not going to share the info on how to copy SACD, because it is not finished with testing yet.

Quote:

Thank you for the reference. At least this dull code is easy to read, which is good for the reference implementation Seems that we shoudn't expect a good encoding and decoding performance and compression from any implementation in software just because DSD sampling frequency is too high.

I'm not sure how much the reference DST decoder CAN be improved...surely it would work out, right? (as long as you have maybe pentium 4/core 2 duo or higher, or something)? It's not like SACD players have crazy processors in them like the PS3, right? Or is there some specific chip architecture which is optimised for DST decoding which is in most SACD players? I wonder...

I THINK some of the Sony software can play back DST-encoded files, on the Vaios...perhaps it's more likely than we think. Unless the DST decoding is done in the sound reality chip or something...either way, we definitely know the reference DST encoder/decoder are quite crap and there's better software ones out there...in the SACD pro apps and one could optimise the code I'm sure..

Of course, I'm not a guru, but decoding e.g. tightly-compressed 192kHz 24-bit 7.1 channel FLAC shouldn't be much different to decoding DST, right? similar bitrate...but maybe it's not about bitrate..
post #117 of 394 Old 01-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

First of all thanks for this great plugin. I have a problem when trying to rip and use ISOs of my DVD-A.

So far this happened with Brothers In Arms (Dire Straits), Deadwing (Porcupine Tree), A Night At The Opera and The Game (Queen).

To rip the ISO I use AnyDVD HD. When I open the ISO in foobar, the list of tracks appears correctly. But when I try to play them (or use them to convert to FLAC 5.1 24/96 which is my real aim) foobar plays only milliseconds of each track and then moves on to the other.

For instance, trying to convert to FLAC I got this:

10 out of 10 tracks converted with major problems.

Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65793
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.029
Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65794
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.003
Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65795
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.002
Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65796
Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65797
Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65798
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.030
Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65799
Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65800
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.006
Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65801
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.007
Source: "N:\\QUEEN_THE_GAME.iso" / index: 65802
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.005

Edit:
Forgot to mention: if I play or convert directly from the disc in the drive, everything goes fine. But disc->ISO->FLAC would be speedier.

The above happens with the watermark plugin loaded and with the watermark plugin not loaded (it's unclear to me what its function should be, as I have been able to convert to FLAC with no problems, from the disc, even without the plugin loaded).

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #118 of 394 Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

These discs are CPPM encrypted and AnyDVD HD doesn't decrypt them wnen makes ISOs. You should use DVDFab in "clone" mode for this purpose (The only thing which does). Or you can use foobar's file operation "copy" to save AUDIO_TS folder content to your hard disk and play from the disk (Content will be decrypted).

Add: Watermark plugin is useful to see whether DVD-A disc is watermarked or not. Some players refuse to play DVD-R backup wnen it contains watermarks. This plugin consumes pretty much of processor cycles, so it's better to switch it off when unneeded.
post #119 of 394 Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Wow! Thanks for the instant reply! And cheers to you and your beautiful city. My mother has come several time for an acting festival and she's always come back enthusiast.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #120 of 394 Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Greetings Manisiutkin,

As I discussed above, there does not seem to be any program that allows Foobar to output high resolution asio bit-streams from the TS Video layer of DVDs. There are many high rez audio DVDs that do not use MLP at all, and instead contain 24 bit/96KHz audio data on the video layer.

So might it be possible for you to further tinker with your fine program in order to allow Foobar2000 playback of high rez audio files from the TS Video layer?

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page