anyone else like DTS Neo 6 or PLII music for 2 channel music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 07-18-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 110
i have been using DTS Neo 6 music a lot lately for 2 channel music. does anybody else use it or PLII music and like the results, or am i the only one?

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

i have been using DTS Neo 6 music a lot lately for 2 channel music. does anybody else use it or PLII music and like the results, or am i the only one?

I have a 5.1 setup and use PLII for 2-channel sources quite a bit. As a single example, I have a 3-CD set by Earth, Wind & Fire called "The Eternal Dance." It's over 10 years old now--and the recordings themselves are far older than that--but at a solid listening level (-10dB or so from reference), listening with PLII I have a hard time believing it wasn't mixed as multi-channel. To be fair, with other CDs I prefer to just listen in stereo.

I was skeptical of these "surround modes" coming from an old Yamaha receiver that had gimmicky ambience modes like "concert hall," "jazz club" and the like, but Neo 6 and PLII are clearly a different beast. If you like the way they sound, does anything else really matter?

Enjoy!
post #3 of 37 Old 07-19-2009, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 619
You're not alone. I've been using surround processing with 2-channel music since the early 1990s; first with Fosgate processors, then with Lexicon processors. PLII Music mode is especially good, what with its adjustable parameters that can tailor the processing to your individual taste.

Sanjay
post #4 of 37 Old 07-19-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I use PLII Music for most stereo sources, not just music. I prefer the wider soundtage and adjustable dimension parameters with the Music mode over the Cinema mode.
post #5 of 37 Old 07-19-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I enjoy listening to my stereo tracks (All done on computers these days!) and applying PLII and NEO:6 to see which I prefer better.

90% of the time I prefer the one of the surround processing modes to the stereo recording.

I've noticed that with all channels active I can turn down the volume a few notches. It keeps conversation levels down and neighbors happier!
post #6 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
With my Denon, I use "6 Channel Stereo". I never use the ambient sounds like "Concert Hall" either. I've used PLII and Neo:6, and they sound fine, but keep going back to "6 Channel Stereo"
post #7 of 37 Old 07-20-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
for a two-channel source PLII music is outstanding...

as others have noted, the ability to tweak to personal taste is very cool
post #8 of 37 Old 07-21-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I use it once in a while for very low listening level but prefer 7 channel on my denon for a very full experence. Some how I still get surround effect with this setting and think it has to do with the accoustics of the room. If you have this setting try it out as it my preferred setting above DTS 6 or PLII or Stereo (direct or Pure)

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
post #9 of 37 Old 07-21-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

I use it once in a while for very low listening level but prefer 7 channel on my denon for a very full experence. Some how I still get surround effect with this setting and think it has to do with the accoustics of the room. If you have this setting try it out as it my preferred setting above DTS 6 or PLII or Stereo (direct or Pure)

i have it, but not a fan. different strokes for different folks i guess.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #10 of 37 Old 07-21-2009, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
PLIIx for music for me. DTS Neo6 is a moving target it seems, as DTS revises it ever so often. In the last 5 AVR I had it, it performed differently in each cases, and the music mode can't be adjusted still.

The Hun
post #11 of 37 Old 07-22-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

PLIIx for music for me. DTS Neo6 is a moving target it seems, as DTS revises it ever so often. In the last 5 AVR I had it, it performed differently in each cases, and the music mode can't be adjusted still.

on my Yamaha i can adjust the "center width" in Neo 6 music. it still seems to sound better to me than DPLII.

post #12 of 37 Old 07-22-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:

on my Yamaha i can adjust the "center width" in Neo 6 music. it still seems to sound better to me than DPLII.

It's my understanding that N6 is mono in the rears, correct? (The left rear and the right rear are the same, right?)
post #13 of 37 Old 07-22-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenteoSurround View Post

It's my understanding that N6 is mono in the rears, correct? (The left rear and the right rear are the same, right?)

That is my understanding 6.1 not 7.1

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
post #14 of 37 Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I find Live CD's sound great with PLll.
post #15 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

That is my understanding 6.1 not 7.1

what happens to the sides/rears when you use neo 6 on a 5.1 setup?

post #16 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 190
In the monority here... stereo sounds best in stereo. The imaging is great and the speakers disappear. I no longer get this great effect using multi-channel proceesing.

post #17 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So is my Integra, some reason I remembered that was for the "Cinema" settings, but it is for music. Still it is a far cry from DPLII's adjustability.

The Hun
post #18 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are only 2 options, discard or fold into.

The Hun
post #19 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:

No surround-back information is extracted, only surround-left and surround-right channels. If any sounds end up being common to both surround speakers, then those sounds will end up phantom imaging behind you (like how sounds phantom image at the centre of a stereo set-up). Not as stable as having speakers behind you, but you'll still get some of the directionality (if you're seated in the sweet spot).

Sanjay
post #20 of 37 Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

No surround-back information is extracted, only surround-left and surround-right channels. If any sounds end up being common to both surround speakers, then those sounds will end up phantom imaging behind you (like how sounds phantom image at the centre of a stereo set-up). Not as stable as having speakers behind you, but you'll still get some of the directionality (if you're seated in the sweet spot).

that is what i figured. thanks.

post #21 of 37 Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 AM

I use 7 channel sound on my Denon. It sounds amazing even when connected to an MP3 player. PL2 is a close second. All those other surround parameters just sond processed to death.
post #22 of 37 Old 07-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Just to pile on,
I now listen to multichannel exclusively. I matrix all my 2 channel recordings into either IIx or Harman's Logic 7, depending on the mood or material. I love the tweakability of IIx. The Logic 7 keeps most everything in the front, spreads vocals wide across, and uses the surrounds for a convincing room ambiance. I like it better at louder volumes, but as mentioned above, IIx seems more involving at lower volumes.
post #23 of 37 Old 07-31-2009, 06:35 AM

while trying to expand my surround sound collection, i thought how amazing it would be to have Radiohead's work in 5.1 and figured I'd through a couple albums on and run them through Dolby PLIIx Music...WOW. if you like the band and haven't tried this, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
post #24 of 37 Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Has anyone compared multichannel SACD/DVD-A with a standard CD using PLII or DTS Neo6?

What is the need for multichannel DVD-Audio or SACD if PLII and DTS Neo6 sound great?
post #25 of 37 Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydoc View Post

Has anyone compared multichannel SACD/DVD-A with a standard CD using PLII or DTS Neo6?

What is the need for multichannel DVD-Audio or SACD if PLII and DTS Neo6 sound great?

i haven't A/B'ed one against the other but i'd imagine they would not sound exactly the same, if even close at all.

post #26 of 37 Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

on Queen's A Night at the Opera, Death On Two Legs sounds awesome with PLII; but it's just one song from the album, and nothing could approximate the way they mixed Bohemian Rhapsody or The Prophet Song.

Same goes for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon

Quote:

for one, SACD and DVD-A are much higher resolution than CDs.
second, PLII and DTS neo doesn't always work on everything
thrid, properly mixed m/c SACD/DVDA is much more enveloping and aggressive than synthesized channels

Boo!
post #27 of 37 Old 08-26-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

Surround decoders will create VERY center-dominant sound and potentially lose most of the stereo image. Varies with particular sources, but generally the effect is not too good.
post #28 of 37 Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Surround decoders will create VERY center-dominant sound and potentially lose most of the stereo image. Varies with particular sources, but generally the effect is not too good.

No more center dominant than the source, typically. And both Neo and PLII Music modes allow user adjustment of the center speaker strength. In the case of PLII you can set it all the way to pure phantom stereo, so it's 2-ch stereo plus 2 or 4 surrounds, depending on the speakers available.

It's best to try these things on your own and see what works best for you.
post #29 of 37 Old 08-27-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

But isn't the point of surround sound is that it renders the stereo image moot?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #30 of 37 Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

You're not alone. I've been using surround processing with 2-channel music since the early 1990s; first with Fosgate processors, then with Lexicon processors. PLII Music mode is especially good, what with its adjustable parameters that can tailor the processing to your individual taste.

Nice! I've been doing the same, although in my case the Meridian way. I prefer synthesized surround to 2-channel, and although a discreet 5.1 mix usually sounds better, not always.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page