SACD & DVD-A Test Discs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any thoughts on where I might find test tone discs in SACD and DVD-A? I'd like to make some objective comparisons of the output of all the channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
What sort of test tones?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

What sort of test tones?

Slow frequency sweeps, pinknoise, perhaps a series of sine waves, every third of an octave.

The reason for this is I'm having a difficult time wrapping my brain around base management with DSD vs PCM. I could create my own Redbook CD disc if I needed to, using software. But I have no means of authoring a SACD or DVD-A.

I'd also like a good way to compare the output of these formats over analog Multichannel connections vs HDMI.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White View Post

Slow frequency sweeps, pinknoise, perhaps a series of sine waves, every third of an octave.

pink noise is easy as it is found on the original Sony/dmp SACD sampler, Telarc's 1812 (SACD and DVD-A) and on the Chesky Ultimate DVD-A (http://www.chesky.com/core/details.c...221&category=1). The latter has more test signals but neither is a full-bore test disc.

Quote:

The reason for this is I'm having a difficult time wrapping my brain around base management with DSD vs PCM. I could create my own Redbook CD disc if I needed to, using software. But I have no means of authoring a SACD or DVD-A.

Why are you having a difficult time?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

pink noise is easy as it is found on the original Sony/dmp SACD sampler, Telarc's 1812 (SACD and DVD-A) and on the Chesky Ultimate DVD-A (http://www.chesky.com/core/details.c...221&category=1). The latter has more test signals but neither is a full-bore test disc.

Why are you having a difficult time?

Thanks for the info.

As to your question, I think it's a case of teaching an old dog new tricks. All the issues get my head swimming. LFE needs a 10db boost, provided by the amp. Some music sources have the bass 10db down, some don't. HTMI connections get bass management at the receiver (Onkyo TX-SR805) analog connections don't.

I'm using two disc players. I had hoped to be using just one, the new Oppo BDP 83, but with its fan coming on to keep it cool, I'm thinking of just using it for movies, and keeping the Oppo 980 for music. The players have some bass management capabilities built in. I could use different connections for different types of discs, if that's what I need to do to get optimal frequency response from each source.

But it's just hard to keep it all sorted out in my head. ;-)
post #6 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White View Post

Thanks for the info.

As to your question, I think it's a case of teaching an old dog new tricks. All the issues get my head swimming. LFE needs a 10db boost, provided by the amp. Some music sources have the bass 10db down, some don't. HTMI connections get bass management at the receiver (Onkyo TX-SR805) analog connections don't.

I'm using two disc players. I had hoped to be using just one, the new Oppo BDP 83, but with its fan coming on to keep it cool, I'm thinking of just using it for movies, and keeping the Oppo 980 for music. The players have some bass management capabilities built in. I could use different connections for different types of discs, if that's what I need to do to get optimal frequency response from each source.

But it's just hard to keep it all sorted out in my head. ;-)

I have those 2 and run them both via HDMI. No conflicts in bass management that way.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #7 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

...and on the Chesky Ultimate DVD-A (http://www.chesky.com/core/details.c...221&category=1). The latter has more test signals but neither is a full-bore test disc.

The Chesky DVD/DVD-A surround disc gets my vote as the overall best *surround sound* test disk that I've got. As well as that the DVD-A part has a small bit of truly excellent 5.1 music.

Since I'm not in the biz, I'll reference amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Surro...8887261&sr=8-4

Ignore the owner reviews, as this is a 5 star disc. IMO of course.

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I love the Chesky disc as well. I use the imaging tests to set my delay times with excellent results. (better than using a tape measure) I use those tests for my delay times in my oppo 83 and switch to bitstream and use the same patterns to adjust my delay time in my AVR.

I do like the bass management tests and channel levels as well. There is a test for each 10 hz step but i don't remember where it starts at.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page