Where to buy DTS CDs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 379
DTS Entertainment use to have a website where you could purchase DTS CDs, but know I cannot find it.

Does anyone know where these can be found?

I have a couple I purchased some time ago, Eagles "Hell Freezes Over", and Alan Parsons "On Air". Both were mastered very well and sound terrific. I was hoping to find more DTS-CD titles as it seems they pay attention to the quality of the mastering and final product.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Many if not most DVD-A discs have DTS audio tracks. Your best bet is probably ebay or Amazon used since they are many years OoP.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Yeah, the Amazon Marketplace has a selection of new and used DTS-CDs. There might not be much at this point in time.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Many if not most DVD-A discs have DTS audio tracks. Your best bet is probably ebay or Amazon used since they are many years OoP.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Yeah, the Amazon Marketplace has a selection of new and used DTS-CDs. There might not be much at this point in time.

post #5 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Not particularly helpful, but I have had quite a few and never really much cared for the audio quality. It is after all compressed audio of a quality similar to 5.1 movie soundtracks on DVD. Nice for surround if you have to have it, but no where near the quality of CDA. Not even in the same ballpark as DVD-A or SACD.

My past experience may also be weighted by poor mastering quality as much as the potential quality of the format.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
more than a few of the discs tagged with DVD-A or DVD-Audio on Amazon are actually DTS-CDs

one way of telling is the top part of the cover - like this Police issue has the DTS Entertainment logo

instead of a DVD-Audio logo like this

some of the user reviews will also tell you if a disc is DVD-A or just a DTS-CD

I think overall DTS Entertainment were quite careful with the mixing and mastering as they were trying hard to sell "high definition surround" before DVD-Audio came out, but ultimately the format is highly compressed (6 channels of audio with the almost the same bit rate as CD audio)

It didn't help most of the discs were sold at the same (or higher) price than actual DVD-Audios, but I think there were some releases that never made it to the higher resolution format, and thus the only surround mix of certain albums are only available on DTS-CDs.

Boo!
post #7 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

more than a few of the discs tagged with DVD-A or DVD-Audio on Amazon are actually DTS-CDs

one way of telling is the top part of the cover - like this Police issue has the DTS Entertainment logo

instead of a DVD-Audio logo like this

some of the user reviews will also tell you if a disc is DVD-A or just a DTS-CD

I think overall DTS Entertainment were quite careful with the mixing and mastering as they were trying hard to sell "high definition surround" before DVD-Audio came out, but ultimately the format is highly compressed (6 channels of audio with the almost the same bit rate as CD audio)

It didn't help most of the discs were sold at the same (or higher) price than actual DVD-Audios, but I think there were some releases that never made it to the higher resolution format, and thus the only surround mix of certain albums are only available on DTS-CDs.

Thanks for the information.

The couple of DTS-CDs are prime examples of the importance of quality mastering. Even though they are presented in a lossy format, they sound better than most recordings I've heard in any format. I have an Telarc SACD of Carmina Burana and frankly, it is pretty bad (I was shocked this was from Telarc). I have Telarc's original release of Carmina Burana on CD (purchased MANY years ago) and it sounds much better than the SACD. Actually, that original Telarc recording of Carmina Burana was recording before CDs hit the market (I also owned the original release on vinyl).

post #8 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

post #9 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you!

post #10 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Your Welcome it is still on their main website just have to fish for it.. and it looks like they moved to an Amazon store..

post #11 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I am considering getting a title or two on SACD (If they don't cost an arm and a leg). I'm not sure if there is any advantage to that or not. (Yes, I have a Denon 1940ci that will play SACD)
I ran across something confusing though. I discovered that there are SACD and Hi-bred SACD. What is the difference between these, if any?
post #12 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisrocks View Post

I am considering getting a title or two on SACD (If they don't cost an arm and a leg). I'm not sure if there is any advantage to that or not. (Yes, I have a Denon 1940ci that will play SACD)
I ran across something confusing though. I discovered that there are SACD and Hi-bred SACD. What is the difference between these, if any?

A hybrid (not hi-bred!) SACD has a standard CD layer in addition to the SACD layer(s).

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #13 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

A hybrid (not hi-bred!) SACD has a standard CD layer in addition to the SACD layer(s).

Sorry, English is my second language these days. Thanks for the clarification on the difference.
I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to having multiple layers on a disc as opposed to a single layer or visa versa. I can't imagine any if the laser that reads the two formats is different in some way, but I am just curious. (For instance - I would not be able to play an SACD on my CD player, but I can on my DVD player).
post #14 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I just answered my own question with a quick look around the internet. Got it all sorted now.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-24-2014, 12:30 AM

Liked: 0
i agree with you,Yeah, the Amazon Marketplace has a selection of new and used DTS-CDs. There might not be much at this point in time.i like this things, i go to amazon, thanks for your sharing . [IMG]http://*******/Xv1t7N[/IMG]
Reply Surround Music Formats