Talking Heads (Brick DVD-A Ratings) - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2014, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Not sure how I've missed this thread... the Heads are one of my favorite groups.

I usually listen around -12 on my Denon, but don't know what SPL that gives- but it is LOUD, w/ some of the fattest, roundest bass I've heard. Sometimes will take it even louder, maybe down to -9. This is too loud for continuing listening, not b/c of fatigue or harshness, but b/c of possible hearing damage. I've never noticed it being too bright.

My rankings:

1- SIT
2- RIL
3- MSABAF
4- Naked
5- FOM
6- LC
7- 77
8- TS

These are reference 5.1 mixes imo, though the 1st couple albums are a touch below the rest. I love the bonus Burning Down the House in 5.1; not sure whether I prefer it or the original and that's saying a lot as I love the original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post
Not sure how I've missed this thread... the Heads are one of my favorite groups.

I usually listen around -12 on my Denon, but don't know what SPL that gives- but it is LOUD, w/ some of the fattest, roundest bass I've heard. Sometimes will take it even louder, maybe down to -9. This is too loud for continuing listening, not b/c of fatigue or harshness, but b/c of possible hearing damage. I've never noticed it being too bright.

My rankings:

1- SIT
2- RIL
3- MSABAF
4- Naked
5- FOM
6- LC
7- 77
8- TS

These are reference 5.1 mixes imo, though the 1st couple albums are a touch below the rest. I love the bonus Burning Down the House in 5.1; not sure whether I prefer it or the original and that's saying a lot as I love the original.
Are any of these still available and for a fair price?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 08-02-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Are any of these still available and for a fair price?
I believe I read somewhere- maybe even upthread here- that the True Stories and 77 discs are very pricey, but the others can be found for good prices. A quick check of amazon shows nothing available new for a good price (close to $700 for the whole Brick- only $220 used ), but a couple of good deals on used discs. I'd also check ebay. It seems most of them can still be had used for good prices, but that could change at any moment, so if interested, I'd suggest getting out there and doing your due diligence asap. Good luck- these are definitely awesome if you like the Head's music.
Toe likes this.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I believe I read somewhere- maybe even upthread here- that the True Stories and 77 discs are very pricey, but the others can be found for good prices. A quick check of amazon shows nothing available new for a good price (close to $700 for the whole Brick- only $220 used ), but a couple of good deals on used discs. I'd also check ebay. It seems most of them can still be had used for good prices, but that could change at any moment, so if interested, I'd suggest getting out there and doing your due diligence asap. Good luck- these are definitely awesome if you like the Head's music.
I just went through the lengthy process of getting all of these except for Naked. I was looking for the UK DVD-A's but it also holds pretty true for the Dualdiscs. Everything is still not badly priced except for Little Creatures and True Stories which have gone ballistic. OTOH, the prices for everything are starting to climb sharply so the supply is finally drying up. From what I read, even up to 3 years ago they were dirt cheap so the time to get them is now. They aren't going to get any cheaper.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I picked up both Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues in the last few months for under $20. Incredible discs but I'm not too interesting in getting anymore of their catalog.

As others have said, get them while you can.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I bought the Brick back in the day.
Not happy about the dualdisc config but never bothered to go for the UK CD\DVD singles.
Which also reminds me I haven't ripped these yet.
Hope my laptop drive can read them.
My favs are the first 3, SIT, True Stories.
Naked is really the only one that doesn't appeal to me at all.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Old 08-16-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

...These are reference 5.1 mixes imo, though the 1st couple albums are a touch below the rest. I love the bonus Burning Down the House in 5.1; not sure whether I prefer it or the original and that's saying a lot as I love the original.
Thanks for posting how loud you listen and it seems most folks listen at about the "-12" MV position on Denon AVRs--Cool. That said, "Burning Down the House" extended version completely supplants the original for my listening pleasure. I have many a fond memory dancin' (in a foolish "white boy" kinda way) to the original, both by myself and in public.

That said, the way the music flows from my front, left, right and rear soundstage in the extended version makes it the most awesome remix of a song I thought couldn't get any better--It actually sounds like a 7.1 music disk.

One thing I noticed though--It seems that all of the TH dual disks are easily scratchable, but so far hasn't made any of them skip.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 145
finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by holt7153 

I have Audyssey (XT32) on my AVR so If I get time this weekend I'll spin something from the Brick. This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) is definitely a fun track for a sub workout.

Cool! I almost missed the Bonus Track of Psycho Killer on "Talking Heads:77 (really the only song I like on that disk) so I also would like to get your impressions of the Bonus Track of Burning Down the House on "Speaking in Tongues," which is my favorite show-off song. It sounds AMAZING on my 9.2 Home Theater! I realize that it's only a 5.1 mix but on my system the vocals and drums travel all of the way around the room and it actually seemed like it was mixed in 7.1! When David Byrne starts talking to himself the returned vocals actually come out of my rear speakers and not my surrounds and is WAY cool.

For the record, I listened to it at -10 on the MV which made the SPL meter needle hover around 85 dB with a 94 dB peak (C weighted and Slow). I also checked out This Must Be the Place at the same MV level and it gave me about an 80 dB level with peaks to 85 dB or so--Not as loud but still awesome sounding. {Note: I have an AVR-4311ci and use Dolby PLIIz with rear and height speakers. I also have DYN EQ on but DynVolume off)
I finally got around to spinning this disc again last night at a very spirited level. I couldn't find my SPL meter but I pushed the 4311 to 0 for the last half of the bonus track (the instrumental portion). I also aired it out with "This Must Be The Place" and "Girlfriend Is Better" and gave my Ascend/Rythmik combo a good workout. A really fun disc.

If 4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea, does that mean that one enjoys it?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
I finally got around to spinning this disc again last night at a very spirited level. I couldn't find my SPL meter but I pushed the 4311 to 0 for the last half of the bonus track (the instrumental portion). I also aired it out with "This Must Be The Place" and "Girlfriend Is Better" and gave my Ascend/Rythmik combo a good workout. A really fun disc.
Dude--0 on the MV! Thanks for posting. Over the last few days I've spun all of my Talking Heads disks again and will come back and share some other thoughts...That said, I will pull out my SPL meter and see how loud I can get it before it actually sounds bad in our HT (Klipsch speakers and Denon AVR-4311ci) but if I get to the "0" position my wife will definitely need to be out of the house. {Note: we watch movies close to there all of the time.}
Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
I finally got around to spinning this disc again last night at a very spirited level. I couldn't find my SPL meter but I pushed the 4311 to 0 for the last half of the bonus track (the instrumental portion). ....
Last night I tried playing the most excellent bonus track of "Burning down the house" on my Denon AVR-4311/Klipsch HT to see how loud I could comfortably get it and "-6" was the limit. That gave me peaks to 100 dB with the needle hangin' around 90 dB C-weighted/slow on my Rat Shack meter, but even with a few ales felt if it got louder something would suffer.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Last night I tried playing the most excellent bonus track of "Burning down the house" on my Denon AVR-4311/Klipsch HT to see how loud I could comfortably get it and "-6" was the limit. That gave me peaks to 100 dB with the needle hangin' around 90 dB C-weighted/slow on my Rat Shack meter, but even with a few ales felt if it got louder something would suffer.
I have a fairly large room so I sometimes air it out a bit to check for rattles. One of these days I'll break out the SPL meter but typically I know it's pretty loud when the dog leaves the room.

If 4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea, does that mean that one enjoys it?