post #61 of 75 Old 07-18-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I wasn't trying to start a discussion of whether lossless audio is better than lossy. Obviously it is. But in terms of mix and bass content, the 2 are the same AFAICT. They appear to be from the same master. There were some posts about the DVD having more bass, it does not.

I'm just saying the BD sounds like a better mix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 07-18-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Maybe it's because it's a native 7.1 mix on BD and a 5.1 mix on DVD

Boo!
post #63 of 75 Old 07-18-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
The BD is 5.1, not 7.1.
post #64 of 75 Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

ah, ok.. maybe it sounds like a better mix because it's higher resolution audio, then

Boo!
post #65 of 75 Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Watched this BD, my impressions are:
Video contrast is poor. Black levels are too high. PQ is excellent, just no blacks.
Audio is slightly lacking in bass, LFE channel has very little information.
Surround mix is excellent and realistic.

Did you set your player for the RGB PC level outs rather than Auto? Just curious, based on your comment about Black levels, in light of the discussion about using the wrong color space for the encoding.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #66 of 75 Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Did you set your player for the RGB PC level outs rather than Auto? Just curious, based on your comment about Black levels, in light of the discussion about using the wrong color space for the encoding.

shinksma

The comparison was done using 2 identically set up players to a single calibrated display input. RGB output is not a consideration since it's not used by either player or the display. But you're not far off that the 2 versions do appear to have color space conversion issues - BOTH of them do.

Setting a player to RGB output would actually force 2 additional color space conversions on my gear. Once in the player and once in the display.

But as I indicated, both versions have significant grayscale issues. Based on what I see, I'd say it's more significant than just stretching or compressing the RGB range. But anything is possible, it's FUBAR on both discs. I prefer not to get into why it's that way.
post #67 of 75 Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Tomorrow night they play in SF at the Warfield...I'll be giving them another try. Hope they play The Incident.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #68 of 75 Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Tomorrow night they play in SF at the Warfield...I'll be giving them another try. Hope they play The Incident.

The balcony made a huge difference and I do believe they turned it down slightly. It was a great show. The band is on a joint tour, but tonight in SF they were solo and played a full 2 hour set. The only city on the tour. Old stuff that they hadn't practiced from Stupid Dream, sprinkled with newer favorites and the best part of the Incident. I'm glad I didn't miss this one.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #69 of 75 Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

As someone who never really got into PT, what album would you suggest starting with?
post #70 of 75 Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

As someone who never really got into PT, what album would you suggest starting with?

does that mean you have heard them but didn't like what you heard, or you have never heard them?

if the former, which album did you hear?

if the latter, what are your musical tastes?

Some fans aren't totally enamored with the current metal-tinged PT (In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear, The Incident) and much prefer the earlier psychedelia (Up The Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify) or the transitionary period (Stupid Dreams, Lightbulb Sun) .... but once you start you will probably seek out the whole catalogue

I think a good starting point is In Absentia or Deadwing and the 91-97 compilation Stars Die: The Delerium Years

Boo!
post #71 of 75 Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

does that mean you have heard them but didn't like what you heard, or you have never heard them?

if the former, which album did you hear?

if the latter, what are your musical tastes?

Some fans aren't totally enamored with the current metal-tinged PT (In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear, The Incident) and much prefer the earlier psychedelia (Up The Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify) or the transitionary period (Stupid Dreams, Lightbulb Sun) .... but once you start you will probably seek out the whole catalogue

I think a good starting point is In Absentia or Deadwing and the 91-97 compilation Stars Die: The Delerium Years

Heard a couple of songs from back in 2002-2003 and wasn't too interested, but they seem to have quite the following so I thought I'd give a whole album a chance. I don't remember what the songs were, or the album, although In Absentia sounds familiar. I come from the progressive metal world (older Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth).
post #72 of 75 Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heard a couple of songs from back in 2002-2003 and wasn't too interested, but they seem to have quite the following so I thought I'd give a whole album a chance. I don't remember what the songs were, or the album, although In Absentia sounds familiar. I come from the progressive metal world (older Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth).

2002/03 would have been In Absentia, which you should get along with Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. Their latest, The Incident is more of an involved listen - more conceptual and slightly less metal compared to Fear

Boo!
post #73 of 75 Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Like most "interesting" bands (where I end up getting the whole catalog), one or two songs out of context can be hard to judge the band by. Imagine if all you knew about Pink Floyd was Money and Another Brick in the Wall Pt II.* Or worse, Seamus and Main Theme from More. Good tunes, but not representative of the albums they come from, much less the whole catalog.

IMHO, PTree's latest, The Incident, is their best effort to date and represents an excellent melange of influences and styles. But I also love Up the Downstair - my first PTree exposure.

shinksma

* Yes, I'm well aware that there are many "Pink Floyd Rules Dude" folks out there who are indeed only familiar with those two songs.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #74 of 75 Old 08-31-2010, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I purchased this recently, and I was very happy with this. I can't share none of the picture contrast , nor the light bass issues concerns however. While I would admit the picture did look a little dim this is a concert with unusual lighting compared to say films, so frankly it didn't bother me. Also my TV is ISF calibrated, not just user adjusted.For instance the capture that shown in this thread is not representative on my screen at all. Regarding the bass, it sounded very much like it did on the FOBP DVD-A, so I'm guessing the band was shooting for that sound. So those of you on the fence buying this should go out and get it especially for the price you can get on Amazon these days.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #75 of 75 Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I stubled upon this while searching about the video levels problem that I immediately noticed. It's wrong, no way around it.

I decided to rip the BluRay and then apply the conversion to the file itself. I left the sound untouched and recompressed the video to a more manageable size. The end result is a 15GB mkv with video levels that feel "right" and video quality that's largely undistinguishable from the original.

To do this I used this simple script with MeGUI:
Code:
DirectShowSource("N:\\Anesthetize RAW.mkv", fps=23.976, audio=false, convertfps=true).AssumeFPS(24000,1001)
Levels(16, 1, 235, 0, 255, coring=false)
The above takes care of only the video portion, then it's straight ripping of the sound using EAC3to and mixing everything together with MKVmerge.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page