Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 03-02-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
It looks like PT is coming out in May with a concert called Anesthetize. Looks like it will be a BD (video) and CD and maybe a DVD-A also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
That's awesome.

DJoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 75 Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sweet
post #4 of 75 Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
from PT.com

Anesthetize
DVD/BD

Anesthetize Special Edition
120 page book
2 CD (soundtrack + one bonus track)
DVD/BD

I think you may see a sampler of the video if you go to pt.com and click on Video: Way Out Of Here (Live)

Boo!
post #5 of 75 Old 04-11-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Filmed in high definition and taken from two concerts given by Porcupine Tree at Tilburg, The Netherlands, at the end of the Fear of a Blank Planet tour in October 2008, this deluxe special edition includes a 130 minute concert film on both standard definition DVD and high definition Blu-Ray disc,

The package also includes two audio CDs of the entire live film soundtrack, alongside a bonus track not featured in the film.

Limited to 4,000 copies with a grey cover and 1,000 copies with a red cover, the special edition comes in a beautiful cloth bound hardback book featuring concert photography of the band taken over the last few years.

I wonder how the audio is encoded on the BD. Looks like the Red version is already sold out.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 75 Old 04-11-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It doesn't state is the BD is in DTS MA HD or just DTS 5.1...hope it's lossless.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #7 of 75 Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

It doesn't state is the BD is in DTS MA HD or just DTS 5.1...hope it's lossless.

I fell over 99% confident that knowing SW's detection to HQ MC sound it will be TrueHD and/or DTS MA and/or LPCM.
post #8 of 75 Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Anyone know what the standard edition will cost? I don't see it listed on the website anywhere.
post #9 of 75 Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post

Anyone know what the standard edition will cost? I don't see it listed on the website anywhere.

Would have thought someone would post before me:

The standard edition BD is available for pre-order on Amazon.com for $17.49 - a very preliminary listing, no details other than "2-disc" and a release date of 15 June (2010).

Hmm, just checked, and the DVD is listed for more! Weird, I thought they were the same when I ordered the BD (not that is matters to me...)

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #10 of 75 Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! I must have overlooked that a Blu-ray version was also a... even better. Put mine on pre-order.
post #11 of 75 Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Would have thought someone would post before me:

The standard edition BD is available for pre-order on Amazon.com for $17.49 - a very preliminary listing, no details other than "2-disc" and a release date of 15 June (2010).

Hmm, just checked, and the DVD is listed for more! Weird, I thought they were the same when I ordered the BD (not that is matters to me...)

shinksma

Thanks also,

Pre-ordered and a good price.
post #12 of 75 Old 04-24-2010, 12:13 PM

We must continue to support the genius of Steve Wilson! I have the Grey one on pre-order! The Red was sold out the first day it was announced.

------------
5271 2002/Oct07 rocks for me.
post #13 of 75 Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon's listings for this seem to be waffling around in price and description.

The item I ordered as a BD is now listed as "Anesthetize (2pc) (Wbr Ws) (2008)", and is described as a DVD only. There is a separate listing for the original DVD listing too, at a cheaper price.

So has Amazon confused itself because the BD also comes with a DVD?

Very annoying - I don't want to end up with a DVD. And I know it is useless to ask Amazon directly at this stage, since they don't have the item in stock yet and the CSR can probably only tell me the same info as what the listing says.

Is "wbr" an Amazon code for Widescreen Blu-ray?

shinksma

post #14 of 75 Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I saw the same thing, I'm puzzled as you're. I'm gonna wait until it is released, then users can fill out the blank for me.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #15 of 75 Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Amazon's listings for this seem to be waffling around in price and description.

The item I ordered as a BD is now listed as "Anesthetize (2pc) (Wbr Ws) (2008)", and is described as a DVD only. There is a separate listing for the original DVD listing too, at a cheaper price.

The item I ordered is now (correctly) labeled on Amazon as "DVD + Blu-ray". Yay! Price is now higher than when I ordered, and is still a bargain, IMHO.

shinksma

post #16 of 75 Old 06-13-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Received my Anesthetize (Special Edition) (Grey) yesterday from Burning Shed. Very very cool package. I'm going to go checkout the BD and will try to report back.

Added: Audio is DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 24 bit Stereo LPCM.

Tom

post #17 of 75 Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I see this now on Amazon:

Anesthetize (DVD + Blu-ray) Availability Message
We have sold through our allocation of the "Anesthetize" DVD + Blu-ray Edition. The "Anesthetize" single-disc DVD edition is still available to order.

My pre-order is still scheduled to ship at the end of the month. It was $17.49.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #18 of 75 Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Liked: 11
The BluRay/DVD combo is still available at Amazon.ca

Live fast. Ride hard... and have a good looking bike.
post #19 of 75 Old 06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Received the regular DVD with DTS-HD 5.1 sound this weekend. It is an excellent video of the FOABP tour, and the sound ain't too bad. While not as pristine or fully multichannel audio as the DVD-A FOABP album, there are many treasures here, especially the second half of the concert with tracks from Signify and Deadwing. One gets to hear and appreciate the subtle keyboard soundscapes from Barbieri as well as Edwins' tremendous bass playing, along with the quieter acoustic moments and vocal harmonizations, which made up for the distorted sonic assault I had experienced live at the Warfield during this tour. The surround-sound mix did not particularly stand out for me, but all-in-all this is a great visual and audio record of a superb concept album (with nearly half the concert containing less "heavier" songs from earlier releases) played live by a band that is at the top of its game.
post #20 of 75 Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

the regular DVD has DTS-HD? could it be you are playing the blu-ray

btw, Colin Edwin is the bassist

Boo!
post #21 of 75 Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

I don't have a blu-ray player, and I had purchased the single DVD version from Amazon. One of the audio options for the disk is indeed DTS-HD 5.1; the other being 2-channel LPCM

Quote:

btw, Colin Edwin is the bassist

My bad. It's been corrected. Gavin Harrison's drumming is also a sight to behold, not to mention how he sounds. The more I listen to this DVD the more I appreciate the individual talents and contributions of the musicians. It has opened up nuances to the music that I had not previously heard from many listenings of the multichannel DVD-audio. This is a spectacular release!
post #22 of 75 Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM
4WR

Quote:

It is simply a typo on the Standard DVD menu.

Take Care
post #23 of 75 Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

has anyone compared the picture quality between the DVD and Blu-ray editions? specifically, black levels

Boo!
post #24 of 75 Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
4WR

Quote:

has anyone compared the picture quality between the DVD and Blu-ray editions? specifically, black levels

Yes, I have.
The Blu-ray seems to have some issues with elevated blacks on some scenes that are not as pronounced on the standard DVD. Almost looks like "green push" on my calibrated monitor. I also noticed that it looks worse when certain camera shots are used. The close ups are fine but the back of the audience long shots are quite washed out and kind of green looking.
I still prefer the Blu-ray for the superior audio and video resolution though.

Take Care
post #25 of 75 Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Some Amazon.com market sellers have the BD.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #26 of 75 Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Burning Shed is now selling the BD. It was $24 shipped to me. Placed the order yesterday.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #27 of 75 Old 06-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WR View Post

Yes, I have.
The Blu-ray seems to have some issues with elevated blacks on some scenes that are not as pronounced on the standard DVD. Almost looks like "green push" on my calibrated monitor. I also noticed that it looks worse when certain camera shots are used. The close ups are fine but the back of the audience long shots are quite washed out and kind of green looking.
I still prefer the Blu-ray for the superior audio and video resolution though.

Take Care

I noticed these exact same issues. I don't know what exactly went wrong with the BD authoring, but the DVD has deeper blacks. As you stated though, the BD has the superior audio and sharper resolution. The BD picture just looks more washed out, particularly with the longer shots. There is a shot in the track FOABP where the camera is behind Steven Wilson looking out into the audience where the difference in blacks between the BD and DVD was quite noticeable to me. It's a shame, because this release is near perfect in every other way.
post #28 of 75 Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post

I noticed these exact same issues. I don't know what exactly went wrong with the BD authoring, but the DVD has deeper blacks. As you stated though, the BD has the superior audio and sharper resolution. The BD picture just looks more washed out, particularly with the longer shots. There is a shot in the track FOABP where the camera is behind Steven Wilson looking out into the audience where the difference in blacks between the BD and DVD was quite noticeable to me. It's a shame, because this release is near perfect in every other way.

You guys are getting your panties in a wadd over a negligible issue. LOL!!! The freakin BD audio is stellar. I would buy this disk for the audio quality alone...

THe DVD resolution is inferior to the BD. If you want equal blacks then drop the brightness on the BD.

post #29 of 75 Old 06-30-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

You guys are getting your panties in a wadd over a negligible issue. LOL!!! The freakin BD audio is stellar. I would buy this disk for the audio quality alone...

THe DVD resolution is inferior to the BD. If you want equal blacks then drop the brightness on the BD.

It may be a negligible issue to you, but when the blacks appear this washed out something is significantly wrong. Decreasing the brightness of the display will not correct the problem.

After looking at some other websites regarding this issue it appears that the disc was encoded using a colorspace different from most discs. I found this posted on Mike Portnoy's site for which a link was found in a previous post in this thread:

"The problem is that it was converted to component color coding (that's what's on the Blu-ray Disc) with settings as if the original material was using extended RGB color space (values from 0 to 255) when in fact it was using the limited color space (16-235). So basically there's a gap of 16 values below the darkest shade of grey (same with the brightest gray on the other end of the spectrum) that is not used at all."

On my Oppo BD 83 I have the HDMI colorspace output set to auto. I tried changing it to PC level tonight and immediately the black levels on the Anesthetize BD looked much better and not washed out. So for anybody else that might notice this problem, try changing the colorspace of the HDMI output on your player.
post #30 of 75 Old 06-30-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post

It may be a negligible issue to you, but when the blacks appear this washed out something is significantly wrong. Decreasing the brightness of the display will not correct the problem.

After looking at some other websites regarding this issue it appears that the disc was encoded using a colorspace different from most discs. I found this posted on Mike Portnoy's site for which a link was found in a previous post in this thread:

"The problem is that it was converted to component color coding (that's what's on the Blu-ray Disc) with settings as if the original material was using extended RGB color space (values from 0 to 255) when in fact it was using the limited color space (16-235). So basically there's a gap of 16 values below the darkest shade of grey (same with the brightest gray on the other end of the spectrum) that is not used at all."

On my Oppo BD 83 I have the HDMI colorspace output set to auto. I tried changing it to PC level tonight and immediately the black levels on the Anesthetize BD looked much better and not washed out. So for anybody else that might notice this problem, try changing the colorspace of the HDMI output on your player.

I changed my BDP-S550 from auto to RGB (0-255), and the blacks are better as well. Auto does show the 'green push", but I was so caught up in the audio that I didn't really even notice it.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page