SPDIF on laptop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a conexant 20561 smart audio hd on my laptop and for some reason it is not working. ive checked the other threads and i couldn't find any that related to my exact sound card. now i have a toslink to spdif cable and when i plug it into the headphone jack it won't work: control panel - hardware and sound - sound - right click on "SPDIF" - then "test." the toslink-spdif cable won't even show a red light at the other end when i do this. i have vista professional (32) and the computer is from school. is this there anyway i can fix this issue?

ive tried ac3 filter and ffdshow audio decoder.

help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvemr7 View Post

I have a conexant 20561 smart audio hd on my laptop and for some reason it is not working. ive checked the other threads and i couldn't find any that related to my exact sound card. now i have a toslink to spdif cable and when i plug it into the headphone jack it won't work: control panel - hardware and sound - sound - right click on "SPDIF" - then "test." the toslink-spdif cable won't even show a red light at the other end when i do this. i have vista professional (32) and the computer is from school. is this there anyway i can fix this issue?

ive tried ac3 filter and ffdshow audio decoder.

help.

If you Google your soundcard you will find a bunch of threads requesting drivers. Could be that.

Otherwise I'd look at the cable.

I am of course assuming your laptop can output optical digital from the headphone output.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-23-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

i've tried the cable with an audigy 2 ZS sound blaster card (PCMCIA) and the cord works. i forgot to mention that i've reinstalled the driver, which made my internal laptop speakers not work, so i had to roll the old driver back. the conexant driver is listed as an SPDIF "interface" (when i go into the control panel - hardware and sounds etc.) and the audigy card is listed as an SPDIF "out", what's the difference? the audigy card works well, but it would be nice to just use my internal sound card for an spdif pass through.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvemr7 View Post

i've tried the cable with an audigy 2 ZS sound blaster card (PCMCIA) and the cord works. i forgot to mention that i've reinstalled the driver, which made my internal laptop speakers not work, so i had to roll the old driver back. the conexant driver is listed as an SPDIF "interface" (when i go into the control panel - hardware and sounds etc.) and the audigy card is listed as an SPDIF "out", what's the difference? the audigy card works well, but it would be nice to just use my internal sound card for an spdif pass through.

First try to find if your laptop actually has SPDIF. Driver is generic for a series of cards, but not all of them have SPDIF implemented.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

yes, i looked up my specific sound card, i have a lenovo t400, and apparently the conexant 20651 doesn't have an spdif out. my apologies for starting this thread.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page