MJ's ""Thriller""(SACD) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 09-06-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I was wondering if it sounds crazy to walk into a Best Buy in London Ontario,Canada and find a copy at the back of his selections on SACD for $25,because I did yesterday and thought ""What the hell""!!
OR
Is this just another day at any BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 09-06-2010, 09:18 AM

I hope you bought it! Even if you don't want it for your collection, you could make somebody here on the forum very happy (or make quite a few maple leafs for yourself.) No, probably not a common occurrence any longer (at least not down here in the States.) It has probably been there on the shelf, and at that price, for years. I usually check my local stores like BB just in case something like that might happen. Kudos to you!

Also, I hear your BB stores North of the border tend to get various SACDs and DVDAs mixed in with the bargain bin from time to time...I would keep an eye out there too.
post #3 of 49 Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Of course I bought it...but my wife thought i was crazy paying almost $30(TAX) for MJ...AND I also found Kondo-Mondo Head(SACD) from a local last month($30) in mint shape.
post #4 of 49 Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclsound View Post

Of course I bought it...but my wife thought i was crazy paying almost $30(TAX) for MJ...AND I also found Kondo-Mondo Head(SACD) from a local last month($30) in mint shape.

That's not a bad price for the MJ at all, I believe I've seen it for about 80 bucks or so in the use market...

Is the Kondo-Mondo Head the one with actopus on the front cover? I first though it would be crazy lows, but I was a bit disappointed with that one..But I have to give it a spin soon and see if it was the particular day and not the disc it self.

Enjoy

DJoel
post #5 of 49 Old 09-13-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

You may be crazy. As far as I'm concerned, Thriller in SACD has no bass. I know because I own it.
post #6 of 49 Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The Thriller SACD is the best version ever released of the album. Steve Hoffman has said it sounds the closest he has heard to the master tapes.
post #7 of 49 Old 09-14-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bass on the Thriller SACD.
Great price, it was $14.99 on Amazon in April 2008 when my buddy got his, I believe I paid a little more than that for mine in 2005. Now it's $100 for a sealed copy and $70 or more for a NM copy.

I have never heard Thriller sound so good. I listen to it going DSD>Analog using only my front speakers. If I did want more bass I could use a PCM conversion and play it in stereo encorporating the Servo 15v2, but it sounds more natural straight DSD.
post #8 of 49 Old 10-10-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

must be your system
sounds great on mine
post #9 of 49 Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Is Thriller SACD out of print now? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #10 of 49 Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thriller has been out of print for some time now. About the only place to find them now are either Ebay or Audiogon. Good condition open copies go for between $125-$150. Two copies sold on Ebay last week. One for $142.50 and one for $125. I have 2 copies and will be listing one of them when I get time. Good luck.
post #11 of 49 Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Is Thriller SACD out of print now? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Watched Glee last night I've been offer a new/sealed copy for $175.. I'm thinking about it, or should I get my head checked to be determined

DJoel
post #12 of 49 Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

You may be crazy. As far as I'm concerned, Thriller in SACD has no bass. I know because I own it.

Sounds like you have a problem with your gear rather than with the MJ SACD...
post #13 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikke View Post

Sounds like you have a problem with your gear rather than with the MJ SACD...

While this is an old post, I have to say there is nothing wrong with my system or its configuration. This is the only SACD where the bass is deficient. All other SACDs I own have sufficient bass.
post #14 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

While this is an old post, I have to say there is nothing wrong with my system or its configuration. This is the only SACD where the bass is deficient. All other SACDs I own have sufficient bass.

If you listen to the vinyl version of the album, you will see that the bass in the recordings was not very deep or pronounced (in particular by todays machine, bass-overloaded, pop junk). I have a feeling that you are just hearing what was really recorded.
post #15 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I'd be happy to take it off your hands for what you paid, of course just so your wife doesn't give you a hard time .

Jay

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #16 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Watched Glee last night I've been offer a new/sealed copy for $175.. I'm thinking about it, or should I get my head checked to be determined

Dan-you should get your head checked just for watching Glee

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #17 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

DJoel

Dan,

Now I'm starting to get worried. Spending $175.00 for Thriller is one thing but watching Glee is one strike against your man card. Maybe Miller Lite will ask you to be in one of their ads. As much as it hurts I'd rather you were watching a rerun of the Super Bowl.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #18 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Dan,

Now I'm starting to get worried. Spending $175.00 for Thriller is one thing but watching Glee is one strike against your man card. Maybe Miller Lite will ask you to be in one of their ads. As much as it hurts I'd rather you were watching a rerun of the Super Bowl.

Bill

Lol..
I know, I know...I got sucked into it, it was just on and I couldn't find the remote I swear!!!!

Dan
post #19 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Dan-you should get your head checked just for watching Glee

Oh you too Steve, I feel like an episode of The Soprano's and the Chubby dude in black leather, and chained wearing get up, gets spot in the lively colorful club and he was... A nervous... "No, no I was just here!"

Dan
post #20 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

Oh you too Steve, I feel like an episode of The Soprano's and the Chubby dude in black leather, and chained wearing get up, gets spot in the lively colorful club and he was... A nervous... "No, no I was just here!"

Dan

Dan,

That was Vito. A few quotes from that episode:

Christopher Moltisanti: He was wearin' a motorcycle outfit, like the guy in the Village People with the leather hat and the vest.

James Zancone: Chaps too.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #21 of 49 Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Dan,

That was Vito. A few quotes from that episode:

Christopher Moltisanti: He was wearin' a motorcycle outfit, like the guy in the Village People with the leather hat and the vest.

James Zancone: Chaps too.

Bill

Johnny Cakes!

Great show, wasn't wild about the ending.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #22 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM

Thriller and Allison Krauss and Union Station Live are the only 2 SACD's I own..I lost one of the 2 disks in the AK&US Live album and went to re-purchase it expecting to only pay the $20 I originally paid..it's then that I discovered it was going for 150-200 bucks!

I used to have a pioneer multi DVD-Audio/SACD player that would output analog to the receiver. Now I bought a new receiver that doesn't have analog inputs but does have HDMI In..can someone recommend a multi DVD-Audio/SACD player that will send it digitally from the hdmi out to the receiver? (I've got a pioneer 1021-K receiver now).

I saw a newer pioneer DVD player/DVD-Audio/SACD player on amazon for a little over 100 bucks but want to make sure it will send the audio goodness to the receiver.
post #23 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlvonde View Post

Thriller and Allison Krauss and Union Station Live are the only 2 SACD's I own..I lost one of the 2 disks in the AK&US Live album and went to re-purchase it expecting to only pay the $20 I originally paid..it's then that I discovered it was going for 150-200 bucks!

I used to have a pioneer multi DVD-Audio/SACD player that would output analog to the receiver. Now I bought a new receiver that doesn't have analog inputs but does have HDMI In..can someone recommend a multi DVD-Audio/SACD player that will send it digitally from the hdmi out to the receiver? (I've got a pioneer 1021-K receiver now).

I saw a newer pioneer DVD player/DVD-Audio/SACD player on amazon for a little over 100 bucks but want to make sure it will send the audio goodness to the receiver.

What's the model number of the Pioneer you saw on Amazon? I have an Elite 79-AVi that will only send SACD via analog. Maybe it's a Pioneer thing? I highly recommend Oppo.

post #24 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM

it's the Pioneer Dv610av-s for about 100 bucks. I'm hoping theres also a black one of the same model . I'd be pairing it with my Pioneer 1021-K 7.1 receiver (I'm using 5.1 right now..towers in front and rear, modest center channel, and 250w 12" dayton audio sub)

It's all a budget system and the previous dvd audio/sacd player I own is also a pioneer that was also around 100 but it didn't have HDMI out. I know the Oppo is superior but also the price jumps dramatically. I'm basically just trying to get back what I had before with my old receiver with 5.1 analog inputs.

One more drawback to my old receiver is the analog in port for the subwoofer went out so I had to run that rca cable directly to the sub..eliminating my ability to control volume from the receiver.
post #25 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

According to this thread you'll be able to connect it via HDMI for SACD and DVD-A. Another idea is a used Oppo 980H for around $125 that will play everything except Bluray. In terms of SQ since both would be connected digitally they should sound identical, but the Oppo may play a wider variety of discs.

post #26 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The DV610, like my Cambridge Audio DVD99, is essentially a clone of the Oppo 980H. They are pretty much interchangeable when connected via HDMI.
post #27 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

The DV610, like my Cambridge Audio DVD99, is essentially a clone of the Oppo 980H. They are pretty much interchangeable when connected via HDMI.

Good point. Hopefully domino92024 will chime in with his thoughts .

post #28 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM

nice..I also just found out I can use a modified firmware to play sacd-r's from sacd backups which is something I'm interested in especially after losing half of my allison krauss sacd album!

i've used dvdaexplorer to backup my DVD-Audio albums but didn't really know how to make a proper backup of them after that to play in my player again.
post #29 of 49 Old 02-22-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Good point. Hopefully domino92024 will chime in with his thoughts .

Or not.
post #30 of 49 Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I stumbled across "Thriller" SACD at the world famous Ameoba music store in Hollywood for like $9.95 used. It has a few scratches on it but sounds juust fine surprisingly.

Funny, they placed a sticker on it saying "SACD players only". The cashier mentioned that someone purchased it (brand new) and did'nt realize it was a special format and sold it back to the store.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page