DSD via HDMI from PC - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 12 Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I've been looking at PCI audio cards for making use of DSD files (Direct Stream Digital) on my PC. Some have been made available from artists in .dff format. I've recently purchased an X-fi Elite Pro soundcard + I/O console and am waiting for it to arrive. The four Cirrus Logic CS4392 DACs on the board can be input with DSD format audio so I can listen to it on my PC speakers.

Are there any cards on the market that are able to transport DSD via HDMI?Also, VAIO computers are able to output DSD, but I'm not too sure if they have HDMI capability for it.

What I want to do in the future, though, is to store SACD content on my PC and be able to stream via HDMI to my home theatre receiver - thus saving worrying thoughts of my precious discs ever having to be replaced. So, is there a card with HDMI input and a DSD decoder? A card with a DSD input encoder would also be helpful for storing recorded vinyl in a more "native" format on my PC when I get around to digitising my collection. Is there a card with a DSD encoder?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantQuasar View Post

What I want to do in the future, though, is to store SACD content on my PC...

How do you plan to do that in the first place?

Boo!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As an alternative, you can always convert to to hi-rez PCM. The Arcam universals and PS3s that do SACD can convert it to 176.4KHz PCM and others can convert it to 88.2. The Port-ta PET4000 (you can Google it) is an HDMI switch/audio de-embedder. Monoprice sells the same switch for $48.65. It takes HDMI audio and converts it to coax or toslink out.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

How do you plan to do that in the first place?

There is consumer software provided by Sony that can play and author DSD files (.dsf/.dff) that comes stock with the VAIO and is available for purchase. SonicStage Mastering Studio and Sony DSD Direct player. You can put these files on a DSD disc (DVD-/+R with these files) or play from the hard drive. If I can get a digital signal (aka HDMI) to the audio card for recording, just like a digital PCM to an audio card via optical or coaxial, then I will experience no loss on the DSD data. Since there is no way of reading an SACD on a consumer end, this would be as good as you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighEndWire View Post

As an alternative, you can always convert to to hi-rez PCM. ... The Port-ta PET4000 (you can Google it) is an HDMI switch/audio de-embedder. ... .It takes HDMI audio and converts it to coax or toslink out.

I could see this working if I had a card that could take a coax/optical digital signal, but the whole plan is to not go through PCM and have the original DSD signal unaltered. Also, it would have to be a de-embedder with 3 optical/coaxial ports for 5.1 sound (each is 2 channels only). Unless the de-embedder doesn't convert to PCM and keeps DSD (I assume some models might, even though this one doesn't appear to) I would still need a DSD compatible input on the audio card to interpret the signal.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 91
As an aside, I used an X-Fi Elite Pro for years, but dumped it when it never ran properly in Vista. I would get freezes and other glitches. The Windows 7 drivers may yield some more luck, however.

Good luck with the "pure DSD on your PC from SACD" thing; there are numerous content protection, hardware and software interfacing barriers that I wouldn't even spend a dime on researching in the present day. To be more specific, no HDMI capture card exists today that can take DSD data (along with stripping HDCP) from a player. Nor is there a PC drive that would allow you to rip the data directly from disc.

EDIT: As for vinyl rips, there is nothing wrong with digitizing your vinyl collection in high-resolution PCM. I digitized a few in 96/24 resolution, and the fidelity and random clicks/pops sound right to me.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 AM

Now that SACD ISO rips are becoming more readily available (eliminating the physical copy protection), would it now be possible to look into DSD bitstreaming over HDMI on a PC?
post #7 of 12 Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighEndWire View Post

As an alternative, you can always convert to to hi-rez PCM. The Arcam universals and PS3s that do SACD can convert it to 176.4KHz PCM and others can convert it to 88.2.

Many Sony players and the Yamaha BD-A1000/1010 can also convert to 176.4kHz PCM.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 12 Old 10-23-2011, 10:28 AM
D&D

Hi DistantQuasar,

Did you find the audio card? I am looking for similar thing too.

Cheers
post #9 of 12 Old 05-23-2015, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Five years now, I wonder if we have a bunch of receivers capable of receiving dsd bitstream via HDMI port.

Mark K
post #10 of 12 Unread Yesterday, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Five years now, I wonder if we have a bunch of receivers capable of receiving dsd bitstream via HDMI port.
Probably. There are many preamp/processors that do.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11 of 12 Unread Today, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Probably. There are many preamp/processors that do.
Mine does. If you go into the Oppo threads, you will find many folks bitstreaming DSD from their Oppo units to their pre-pros and AVRs, with the Pre-pro/AVR display distinctly showing "DSD" as the inbound media type.

My own experience with HTPCs is that the limit on DSD streaming over HDMI is often a prepro/AVR that does not support it, but is MORE often a driver, chipset, or configuration issue on the PC side. All the stars need to be aligned just right in order to convince a PC to bitstream HDMI out of its HDMI port - and the stars are usually not aligned like that. Sometimes the chipset won't support it. Sometimes the chipset can do it but the driver is brain-damaged and can't. Sometimes both of these items are fine, but the playback software can't do it, or can do it but is not configured to do so. There are just so many things that can go wrong here...

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #12 of 12 Unread Today, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Most Onkyo receivers offer on-board DSD decoders. But anyway here's a link to a
List of AV Receivers & Pre/Pros with Pure DSD to Analog Processing.

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats