Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes - Deluxe Blu-ray 5.1 - Nov 2nd - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

1 of 6 helpful ratings says it all.

Hey listen...I'm not going to get into some kind of pissing contest with you, but I think you're the one doing hi-res a disservice. How many hi-res titles do you have? I have about 50; wanna fight?

I LOVE hi-res, and I want more...and I want it to succeed; but do you really think the future is paying $25, to deliver it on these discs?? If it is, it's not going to take off the way you hope. No, it'll be the MUCH cheaper, download method...and we have to hold a release like this accountable. I mean seriously; how hard is it to scan a file...and I don't know, pay some intern to listen to the thing...before you upload it to be consumed by what...hundreds, or thousands of paying customers?

I admit, my first review was a bit of a knee-jerk, and unfair. I appreciate you're calling me on it, as I was considering that I sent the wrong message anyway. But I absolutely stand by what I have written now.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CANADA
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Disc 1 download has been corrected and is ready to re-download.

And yes, physical media is sustainable and will definitely succeed when they offer Blu-ray discs like this with all sorts of additional content like music videos and surround mixes. That is what I believe. It's also what guys like Neil Young, Tom Petty, Trent Reznor, etc., believe.

CD is still the #1 media for unit sales and retail $'s.
dobyblue is offline  
post #93 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Disc 1 download has been corrected and is ready to re-download.

And yes, physical media is sustainable and will definitely succeed when they offer Blu-ray discs like this with all sorts of additional content like music videos and surround mixes. That is what I believe. It's also what guys like Neil Young, Tom Petty, Trent Reznor, etc., believe.

CD is still the #1 media for unit sales and retail $'s.

See; the squeaky wheel gets the grease...lol.

Seriously, how do you know it's been resolved?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
post #94 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CANADA
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Push Entertainment e-mailed anyone that downloaded the files from the download-only option that Disc 1 was corrected. They won't e-mail purchasers of the BD because there wasn't an e-mail sign up for it.

As for how it gets by people, hey even Trent Reznor's guys mucked up "The Slip" free 24/96 download, turned out it was dithered to 16-bit and then re-done in a 24-bit package. The guys on Hydrogen Audio (of course) figured it out and Trent joined up to explain what happened and corrected it.

See TR's post here - http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...9&#entry565179

Sorry for over-reacting when I hacked on you, I know where you were coming from, I just think there are better ways to sort out these things.
dobyblue is offline  
post #95 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Newbie
 
ryan de topanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Engineer/Producer Ryan here. Just checked into this thread. Sorry about all the problems with the download. As dobyblue said, PUSH just fixed it today. Thanks to forums like this, we can monitor how these things are working on the bleeding edge of hi-res audio ;-)

As for the 5.1 mix, we decided to open up the album more, keep the focus in front, and not go for the radical "quad" type mix. Just a matter of taste, and what we felt best served the material.

-Ryan
ryan de topanga is offline  
post #96 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blindamood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South Florida
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan de topanga View Post

Engineer/Producer Ryan here. Just checked into this thread. Sorry about all the problems with the download. As dobyblue said, PUSH just fixed it today. Thanks to forums like this, we can monitor how these things are working on the bleeding edge of hi-res audio ;-)

As for the 5.1 mix, we decided to open up the album more, keep the focus in front, and not go for the radical "quad" type mix. Just a matter of taste, and what we felt best served the material.

-Ryan

Thanks for the update, Ryan. And to everyone else here who helped bring attention to the download issues and get it fixed!

Brad
Blindamood is offline  
post #97 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mcallister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan de topanga View Post

Engineer/Producer Ryan here. Just checked into this thread. Sorry about all the problems with the download. As dobyblue said, PUSH just fixed it today. Thanks to forums like this, we can monitor how these things are working on the bleeding edge of hi-res audio ;-)

As for the 5.1 mix, we decided to open up the album more, keep the focus in front, and not go for the radical "quad" type mix. Just a matter of taste, and what we felt best served the material.

-Ryan


The disc sounds great Ryan. So what disc are you guys working on next?

mcallister is online now  
post #98 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack Gilvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Jersey,USA
Posts: 6,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan de topanga View Post

Engineer/Producer Ryan here. Just checked into this thread. Sorry about all the problems with the download. As dobyblue said, PUSH just fixed it today. Thanks to forums like this, we can monitor how these things are working on the bleeding edge of hi-res audio ;-)

As for the 5.1 mix, we decided to open up the album more, keep the focus in front, and not go for the radical "quad" type mix. Just a matter of taste, and what we felt best served the material.

-Ryan

Thanks for the update, Ryan. Love what you did with this but particularly that alternate take of "Refugee" which, as I mentioned earlier, just kills. I can almost smell all the old tweed in the room, as well the occasional whiff of AC30.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Jack Gilvey is offline  
post #99 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Will2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan de topanga View Post

Engineer/Producer Ryan here. Just checked into this thread. Sorry about all the problems with the download. As dobyblue said, PUSH just fixed it today. Thanks to forums like this, we can monitor how these things are working on the bleeding edge of hi-res audio ;-)

As for the 5.1 mix, we decided to open up the album more, keep the focus in front, and not go for the radical "quad" type mix. Just a matter of taste, and what we felt best served the material.

-Ryan

Excellent, Ryan.

This is one of my favorite albums ever -- I wore it out in high school on vinyl in its first release. I saw TP and the Heartbreakers live in Atlanta in 1986 -- poor Tom's house had just burned down. They were even better live, and definitely one of the tightest, most rocking bands I've ever seen in concert. It was an awesome show.

Anyway, thanks for checking the thread and helping get the download issue fixed. I am going to buy the BD and download as soon as I sign off from this forum. This will be my half-time show during tonight's football game.
Will2007 is offline  
post #100 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Will2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

See; the squeaky wheel gets the grease...lol.

Seriously, how do you know it's been resolved?

CD

CD,

Now that the download issue has been resolved, are you going to amend your Amazon rating once again to reflect that? It seems warranted given that your beef has been addressed.
Will2007 is offline  
post #101 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
dla26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan de topanga View Post

Engineer/Producer Ryan here.

Welcome to the forum, Ryan. I really hope you stick around. There are a lot of us who are thrilled with what you guys are doing and want to be as supportive of Hi-Res audio as possible. If you ever need feedback or input, I think everyone here has lots of passionate opinions.

Not sure if you can share this information, but how are sales on Damn the Torpedoes, Mojo, and the Live Anthology? (FWIW, I am the proud owner of all 3!) High enough to justify moving forward with more projects like this? High enough to convince others that there's a real market opportunity?
dla26 is offline  
post #102 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

CD,

Now that the download issue has been resolved, are you going to amend your Amazon rating once again to reflect that? It seems warranted given that your beef has been addressed.

Gladly; I'll do it tonight, while enjoying a "fixed" disc 1 Oh, and I've been wearing out the 24/48 of A Night At The Opera too.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
post #103 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Well, I look at it this way; if I thought it was worth, say, $18 without "bonus" download...but was willing to pay $24 because of the FLAC copy...and the FLAC download doesn't work, they need to investigate whoever is distributing that part of the product for them.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but lots of companies re-sell through Amazon. If I buy a product from Amazon, and it's fulfilled by XYZ company...and I get a box of rocks, you don't think Amazon gets a call? Think again.

Why don't you save me a trip to SHF; do you know of a resolution? If so, why not share?

CD
If I had anything to "share" I would, see my post to Jack above about PKZip.
I'm going to offer some friendly advice, just because some facet of what you deemed as vital didn't immediately work out is no reason to snivel, whine and rant with multiple redundant posts on this thread.
If it was really that important you could've made the supreme effort of visiting the forum I suggested instead of thinking that I was holding out or expecting someone else to fix your problem.
You then leave a pointless, sh!tty review on a site that has nothing to do with your issue.
Trust me, you're not doing yourself any favors.
All's good now right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan de topanga View Post
Engineer/Producer Ryan here. Just checked into this thread. Sorry about all the problems with the download. As dobyblue said, PUSH just fixed it today. Thanks to forums like this, we can monitor how these things are working on the bleeding edge of hi-res audio ;-)

As for the 5.1 mix, we decided to open up the album more, keep the focus in front, and not go for the radical "quad" type mix. Just a matter of taste, and what we felt best served the material.

-Ryan
As far as I'm concerned Ryan, you have excellent taste

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #104 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Disc 1 download has been corrected and is ready to re-download.

And yes, physical media is sustainable and will definitely succeed when they offer Blu-ray discs like this with all sorts of additional content like music videos and surround mixes. That is what I believe. It's also what guys like Neil Young, Tom Petty, Trent Reznor, etc., believe.

CD is still the #1 media for unit sales and retail $'s.
I don't want to travel too far down this road, because 1) it's probably not the right place for it, and 2) as far as I'm concerned...with the corrected download issue, we've kissed and made-up, and everyone is happy to have this release the way it was meant to be...lol; but you really still think CD is king?

I don't know; I don't have any hard numbers in front of me, but I have a pretty good, general sense about these things...and I pay attention to issues such as this in the media; and all I ever read in the headlines is how record companies are taking it in the teeth, and Steve Jobs just bought another jet to water-ski behind. I also know that there used to be 5 "record" stores in every mall across this country, and now there are, uh...none.

The only B&M that I know of, where you can even buy CDs anymore is BB...and their selection has been pushed about as far back on the floor as it can get, without being on the loading-dock; I swear, at my local BB, it's right next to the BOOKS!

Even if the numbers still favor CDs...and I'm not conceding that they do...it's only because they've had a 30 year head-start on downloads. It's almost like, if after the iPod had been out for a few years...someone were to say "well, Walkmans still outsell them".

Don't get me wrong; I'm not some 19 year-old who's never owned any. I bought my first player in 1985, as a 17 year-old...and since then, I've collected somewhere between 4-5,000 of the little discs. Only because I I've owned and loved them so much, that I can truly say...IMO...they are a fading relic.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
post #105 of 169 Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
If I had anything to "share" I would, see my post to Jack above about PKZip.
I'm going to offer some friendly advice, just because some facet of what you deemed as vital didn't immediately work out is no reason to snivel, whine and rant with multiple redundant posts on this thread.
If it was really that important you could've made the supreme effort of visiting the forum I suggested instead of thinking that I was holding out or expecting someone else to fix your problem.
You then leave a pointless, sh!tty review on a site that has nothing to do with your issue.
Trust me, you're not doing yourself any favors.
Man, oh man. I thought this was just a thread for fans of hi-res. It's obvious to me now, that at least some of you are TP fans...and as such, are taking this thing very personally.

Let me repeat this, in a way that might make sense to some of the slower-witted among us: AFAIC, I paid $25 for a download...and the download didn't work. You got it? I was 99% concerned about the download, and 1% concerned about the disc. For those of you who keep saying "the download was a small part of it"...says you; if your concern was 99% disc, and 1% download, then I understand it was of very little trouble to you.

So...go spin those discs, and I'll continue to post any kind of review I care to, at a place that is about as public a place on the Internet as you'll likely find; Amazon. As for this thread...don't worry; now that I know it's more a Petty thread, than hi-res thread...there's not much reason to stick around.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
post #106 of 169 Old 11-19-2010, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CANADA
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I don't want to travel too far down this road, because 1) it's probably not the right place for it, and 2) as far as I'm concerned...with the corrected download issue, we've kissed and made-up, and everyone is happy to have this release the way it was meant to be...lol; but you really still think CD is king?

I don't know; I don't have any hard numbers in front of me, but I have a pretty good, general sense about these things
...and I pay attention to issues such as this in the media; and all I ever read in the headlines is how record companies are taking it in the teeth, and Steve Jobs just bought another jet to water-ski behind. I also know that there used to be 5 "record" stores in every mall across this country, and now there are, uh...none.

The only B&M that I know of, where you can even buy CDs anymore is BB...and their selection has been pushed about as far back on the floor as it can get, without being on the loading-dock; I swear, at my local BB, it's right next to the BOOKS!

Even if the numbers still favor CDs...and I'm not conceding that they do...it's only because they've had a 30 year head-start on downloads. It's almost like, if after the iPod had been out for a few years...someone were to say "well, Walkmans still outsell them".

Don't get me wrong; I'm not some 19 year-old who's never owned any. I bought my first player in 1985, as a 17 year-old...and since then, I've collected somewhere between 4-5,000 of the little discs. Only because I I've owned and loved them so much, that I can truly say...IMO...they are a fading relic.

CD

You should have spent a couple minutes researching the numbers, they're easy to find.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact, CD is currently still #1 in unit sales and retail $'s. It's got nothing to do with a headstart as this is not "Since Inception" numbers, it's sales for 2009 and Q1/2 2010. CD is still king.

Nielsen Soundscan data, first half of 2010.

Overall album sales: -11% (compared to Q1~2 2009)
Physical album sales: -17.7% (112 Million units sold)
Digital album sales: +13.7% (42 Million units sold)

Almost three times as many albums sold on CD vs. DD.

By comparison physical album sales dropped around 30% in 2007, so the bleeding has gone down over the last couple years rather than up surprisingly.

Individiual track sales: -0.2% (597 Million songs sold)

Vinyl album sales: +9.1% (1.3 Million units sold)

Also this September Reuters announced that single track sales, which had previously risen every year, have flattened.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68Q2FM20100927

And when digital downloads surpass CD it's going to be because of 128 Kbps and 256 Kbps lossy .mp4 files, not high resolution 24-bit files.
dobyblue is offline  
post #107 of 169 Old 11-19-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sharkshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, eh?
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey, Ryan, I guess "Ulyate" sounded even more cryptic than your Topanga shout out! (Topanga, natch, will always make me think of my own local boy Neil who went down to that Canyon and came out with his own Blu-Ray music archives set last year)

I must admit that I've never been a huge fan of TP, always thought of him unfavourably to the likes of Bruce (Iovine's production doesn't exactly make the comparision invalid, let alone the direct quotation of the Boss in the liner notes). Still, I think it's a pretty darned magnificent presentation of this record, so kudos to you and your team (assuming you're not just sitting there with a rig in a bedroom somewhere )

Curious, since you're here not talking about your upgrade from LCD to Plasma (you go, girl), mind nerding out and talking about some of the equip you used? This a protools or Nuendo gig? What monitors were you using? How were your surrounds arrayed for monitoring (ie., what angle/distance from listening position?) How active, if at all, were the members of the band/management in the mixing choices, and what did they get to listen to the final mix on?

Far more interesting things to talk about, I think, thank the other silliness, no?

sharkshark is offline  
post #108 of 169 Old 11-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
brian1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

CD is still king.

Nielsen Soundscan data, first half of 2010.

Overall album sales: -11% (compared to Q1~2 2009)
Physical album sales: -17.7% (112 Million units sold)
Digital album sales: +13.7% (42 Million units sold)

Still king but that crown is pretty tarnished at this point.

CD sales in 2000 were 943 million units in the US.
brian1212 is offline  
post #109 of 169 Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Man, oh man. I thought this was just a thread for fans of hi-res. It's obvious to me now, that at least some of you are TP fans...and as such, are taking this thing very personally.

Let me repeat this, in a way that might make sense to some of the slower-witted among us: AFAIC, I paid $25 for a download...and the download didn't work. You got it? I was 99% concerned about the download, and 1% concerned about the disc. For those of you who keep saying "the download was a small part of it"...says you; if your concern was 99% disc, and 1% download, then I understand it was of very little trouble to you.

So...go spin those discs, and I'll continue to post any kind of review I care to, at a place that is about as public a place on the Internet as you'll likely find; Amazon. As for this thread...don't worry; now that I know it's more a Petty thread, than hi-res thread...there's not much reason to stick around.

CD

Yeah duh. I'm a Tom Petty fan.
You don't have to repeat anything, you already repeated yourself several times over.
The download for disc1 was broken, it got fixed.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #110 of 169 Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Member
 
Shadorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

Hey, Ryan, I guess "Ulyate" sounded even more cryptic than your Topanga shout out! (Topanga, natch, will always make me think of my own local boy Neil who went down to that Canyon and came out with his own Blu-Ray music archives set last year)

I must admit that I've never been a huge fan of TP, always thought of him unfavourably to the likes of Bruce (Iovine's production doesn't exactly make the comparision invalid, let alone the direct quotation of the Boss in the liner notes). Still, I think it's a pretty darned magnificent presentation of this record, so kudos to you and your team (assuming you're not just sitting there with a rig in a bedroom somewhere )

Curious, since you're here not talking about your upgrade from LCD to Plasma (you go, girl), mind nerding out and talking about some of the equip you used? This a protools or Nuendo gig? What monitors were you using? How were your surrounds arrayed for monitoring (ie., what angle/distance from listening position?) How active, if at all, were the members of the band/management in the mixing choices, and what did they get to listen to the final mix on?

Far more interesting things to talk about, I think, thank the other silliness, no?

There is an interview with Ryan Ulyate at this link - he uses the same speakers and setup that Tom Petty uses himself at Tom's home studio.

http://mixonline.com/studios/profile...dex.html?imw=Y

For optimal home playback Ryan also recommends you use the 24/96 hi-res files (which are exactly what he, Tom, Mikeand the band listen to) and a decent DAC, such as a Lavry or a Benchmark.
Shadorne is offline  
post #111 of 169 Old 11-19-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Great link Shadorne. Thanks.
I would very much love to have The Concert for George on blu-ray.
A very special concert with some brilliant performances.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #112 of 169 Old 11-20-2010, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CANADA
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1212 View Post

Still king but that crown is pretty tarnished at this point.

CD sales in 2000 were 943 million units in the US.

No-one suggested otherwise.
dobyblue is offline  
post #113 of 169 Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shinksma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wandering the intertubes, on the way to damnation
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So...back to the actual disc/music.

I got a chance to listen to this last night. I must admit I was familiar only with the "hits" due to radio overexposure (which might be why I never bought the full album). The mix on the tracks I was familiar with really opens up the overall soundstage and lets you hear stuff that was otherwise buried. Some discreet use of the discrete rears , but indeed mostly front-focused. That's OK - it works well for this music.

But the real eye-opener for me was the songs I didn't know - really good stuff.

Overall, I am very impressed, and I can only hope more artists start to treat their back catalogs with such treatment: Hi Rez and a good 5.1 mix.

One question, maybe Ryan can answer: why have a DTS-HD MA 5.1 track in 96/24 along with a PCM 5.1 track also in 96/24 (at least I believe they are both 96/24)? Seems fairly redundant. The idea of using DTS-HD MA is to save space on the disk. If the PCM track is there, and since all players and receivers that can deal with DTS-HD MA can also deal with PCM, what is the point? To satisfy those folks who believe that only DTS-HD MA can contain the most accurate representation? Is it because some receivers can matrix 5.1 DTS-HD MA into 7.1 but not 5.1 PCM (I don't know if that is the case - just a guess)?

Just curious,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
shinksma is offline  
post #114 of 169 Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sharkshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, eh?
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadorne View Post

There is an interview with Ryan Ulyate at this link - he uses the same speakers and setup that Tom Petty uses himself at Tom's home studio.

http://mixonline.com/studios/profile...dex.html?imw=Y

For optimal home playback Ryan also recommends you use the 24/96 hi-res files (which are exactly what he, Tom, Mikeand the band listen to) and a decent DAC, such as a Lavry or a Benchmark.

Ah, excellent. Yeah, that answers many of my questions.

sharkshark is offline  
post #115 of 169 Old 11-21-2010, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CANADA
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

One question, maybe Ryan can answer: why have a DTS-HD MA 5.1 track in 96/24 along with a PCM 5.1 track also in 96/24 (at least I believe they are both 96/24)? Seems fairly redundant. The idea of using DTS-HD MA is to save space on the disk. If the PCM track is there, and since all players and receivers that can deal with DTS-HD MA can also deal with PCM, what is the point? To satisfy those folks who believe that only DTS-HD MA can contain the most accurate representation? Is it because some receivers can matrix 5.1 DTS-HD MA into 7.1 but not 5.1 PCM (I don't know if that is the case - just a guess)?

Just my opinion, but here are two reasons and both are why I'd love to see this happen on all releases where room allows.

1) PCM - works on older receivers without HDMI inputs where the player cannot decode dts-ma.
2) dts-ma works on older receivers without HDMI inputs where the player doesn't have multi-channel analog outputs providing a 1.509 Mbps 5.1 core allowing user to still enjoy a surround mix with full legacy dts bitrate

Essentially it allows the disc to work with all types of set-ups in surround sound mode, while allowing the highest bitrate for those that have to go to lossy.
dobyblue is offline  
post #116 of 169 Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Just my opinion, but here are two reasons and both are why I'd love to see this happen on all releases where room allows.

1) PCM - works on older receivers without HDMI inputs where the player cannot decode dts-ma.
2) dts-ma works on older receivers without HDMI inputs where the player doesn't have multi-channel analog outputs providing a 1.509 Mbps 5.1 core allowing user to still enjoy a surround mix with full legacy dts bitrate

Essentially it allows the disc to work with all types of set-ups in surround sound mode, while allowing the highest bitrate for those that have to go to lossy.

Exactly! Totally compatibility.

Just curious, Has anyone had success with the 24/96 downloads?
Either burning or getting them to play?
I have a friend who downloaded the files and is having issues getting them to DVD.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #117 of 169 Old 11-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Newbie
 
ryan de topanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Essentially it allows the disc to work with all types of set-ups in surround sound mode, while allowing the highest bitrate for those that have to go to lossy.
dobyblue is right. When it came to surround we had enough room to put both PCM 5.1 and DTS HD-MA on the disc. We did it to offer the most options for all the various possible configurations out there.
ryan de topanga is offline  
post #118 of 169 Old 11-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
ryan de topanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

Curious, since you're here not talking about your upgrade from LCD to Plasma (you go, girl), mind nerding out and talking about some of the equip you used? This a protools or Nuendo gig? What monitors were you using? How were your surrounds arrayed for monitoring (ie., what angle/distance from listening position?) How active, if at all, were the members of the band/management in the mixing choices, and what did they get to listen to the final mix on?
Okay, here's some nerding out ;-)

#1) Pro Tools.

#2) 5 ATC 50's, all fairly close (about 4' from listening position, surrounds about 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock). All 5 ATC's are bass managed into a Bag End 18" Infrasub. LFE channel goes into 2 more Bag End Infrasubs (to get enough level without them having to work too hard). Low end is checked with bass management on, and bass management off, to to make it as compatible as possible on all systems.

#3) Tom, Mike and the rest of the band really like 5.1. (We had a great listening party for "Mojo" when we were in NYC last May.) I have quite a bit of freedom to mix this because we've been through several projects together and at this point we pretty much agree on what we like and what we don't.
ryan de topanga is offline  
post #119 of 169 Old 11-21-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sharkshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, eh?
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan de topanga View Post

Okay, here's some nerding out ;-)

#1) Pro Tools.

#2) 5 ATC 50's, all fairly close (about 4' from listening position, surrounds about 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock). All 5 ATC's are bass managed into a Bag End 18" Infrasub. LFE channel goes into 2 more Bag End Infrasubs (to get enough level without them having to work too hard). Low end is checked with bass management on, and bass management off, to to make it as compatible as possible on all systems.

#3) Tom, Mike and the rest of the band really like 5.1. (We had a great listening party for "Mojo" when we were in NYC last May.) I have quite a bit of freedom to mix this because we've been through several projects together and at this point we pretty much agree on what we like and what we don't.

Yeah, read about PT, and your keeping the old version because of a specific plugin. Respect (not quite as sick as keeping a Notator-running ATARI ST despite the comp literally bursting into flames like Fatboy Slim, but still slick...)

Meanwhile, that's $100,000 in monitors alone? Didn't think of a BOSE system instead?

My setup's 7.1, with dipolar side surrounds and front-firing rears (sides at about 3/9 o'clock, rears about 5/7 o'clock), so for some mixes, particularly quad, I actually swap the cables to do 5.1 with the sides taken out of the equation.

On some mixes (obviously the more "quady", as you described) this makes quite a difference. If you've heard the Neil Young multichannel stuff it makes quite a huge difference (recording at a studio in the 70s called "Quadrafonic Sound Studios" in Nashville doesn't hurt for that mixing topology!)

On YOUR mix, I've left it in my normal, home theatre setup, and found the surround mix blended quite nicely, with quite clear and impressive front stage imaging.

Again, with respect to your employer/colleague I'm not a huge fan, but consider me impressed with his commitment to fans of m/c, high resolution music, and I'm certainly finding a greater appreciation for his work than I had previously.

I'm sure you're busy with other gigs, but if you have the time, and can listen to this stuff with at least some of your critical ear turned off (ie., this should be fun, not work), I recommend sincerely picking up a couple of the other major successful m/c mixes (from Elton to Zappa) and, for the hell of it, crank em in your setup. At least that way I can live vicariously...

Oh, and since I know you guys namedropped Bruce a couple times in the packaging, I hereby nominate you to work with Landau et. al. and do the same, tasteful approach on BORN TO RUN, DARKNESS, etc. I mean, it can't be that hard, can it?

sharkshark is offline  
post #120 of 169 Old 11-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blindamood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South Florida
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Just curious, Has anyone had success with the 24/96 downloads?
Either burning or getting them to play?
I have a friend who downloaded the files and is having issues getting them to DVD.

Downloaded them a couple of days ago, and they play fine. Stored in my NAS, and played through my Logitech Transporter (i.e., no need for DVD).

Brad
Blindamood is offline  
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off