Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes - Deluxe Blu-ray 5.1 - Nov 2nd - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 169 Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shinksma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wandering the intertubes, on the way to damnation
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

So is the Geffen version preferred over the Eagle Rock one? I don't care about price, I want the best version. Amazon has both.

As mentioned, the Eagle Rock disc is a "Classic Albums" series video documentary about the album, much like the "Making of The Dark Side of the Moon" DVD. It may audio of the album, but is not the MCH BD with advanced lossless audio that is the Geffen release.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
shinksma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 169 Old 03-12-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rmassey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the clairification, off to Amazon to order up.
Rmassey is offline  
post #153 of 169 Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JJHXBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sandpoint, ID & Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was finally able to get this to play on my HTPC when I switched from TMT3 to TMT5. For some reason TMT3 just won't even load it.
The DTS-HD 5.1 audio sounds great!!
JJHXBR is offline  
post #154 of 169 Old 04-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Member
 
royceb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since this disc has PCM 5.1, would it be possible to play this in a car stereo that can do DVD-A/DTS 5.1?
royceb is offline  
post #155 of 169 Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 AM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by royceb View Post

Since this disc has PCM 5.1, would it be possible to play this in a car stereo that can do DVD-A/DTS 5.1?

No. You still need a Blu-Ray player to read the bits since it is a Blu-Ray Disc.
alk3997 is offline  
post #156 of 169 Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Member
 
royceb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

No. You still need a Blu-Ray player to read the bits since it is a Blu-Ray Disc.

Darn.

Is there a way to rip the Blu tracks and recoded in 5.1 DTS on a CD/DVD?
royceb is offline  
post #157 of 169 Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 PM
 
alk3997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by royceb View Post

Darn.

Is there a way to rip the Blu tracks and recoded in 5.1 DTS on a CD/DVD?

Google is your friend (probably about as much as I should put here)
alk3997 is offline  
post #158 of 169 Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WillyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta Metro Area, Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by royceb View Post

Darn.

Is there a way to rip the Blu tracks and recoded in 5.1 DTS on a CD/DVD?

I think there is a way.....Check the Oppo BDP-93 and BDP-95 threads. There are some folks there doing some ripping of these for streaming from a hard drive.
WillyJ is offline  
post #159 of 169 Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I finally bought this disc with great anticipation! I Couldn't wait to take a listen.

1st, I tried out the stereo track. Sounded a little flat since it's only 2 front channels. I also found it lacking bass. It's there, it's just thin.

The PCM track opened up the soundstage and provided a bit more bass.

On my setup, the DTS version plays louder and I see an adjustment for about a 4db drop (for the center channel?)

Currently, I have no center channel so I only hear the "Phantom" effect.

Non the less, I felt that the DTS version played a bit louder, however when I turned it down a few decibels, it sounded much like the PCM track.

My other thought about the DTS version, it "seemed" to have a bit more dynamics in the music. However knowing both the PCM and DTS tracks are "probably" laid down from the same multi channel mix, theoretically I would think they would sound the same. I think they do when I do my best to equal out the audio level between the two formats. In this case, I would like to make the argument that there are no differences between the PCM and DTS tracks (except for the differences in output levels and the 4db adjustment.)

When I switch to the DTS version, I turn down the volume. When I switch to the PCM version, I turn up the volume. When I try to match the volume between the two, they seem to sound "about" the same. I say "about" the same because there seems to be a slight difference from the lower mid bass and down that sounds like those frequencies have a bit more presence when compared to the PCM version.

My theory for this anomaly is if there is a turning down of certain frequencies (upper midrange area?) of 4db (in the DTS mode,) that could account for the fact that it sounds like the lower frequencies "seem" to have more of a presence...when in fact they are still being played at the same level...it just seems to be louder. It would be like turning down the treble AND some midrange while turning up the volume. In this case, the bass...not boosted per say...was not turned up at all, though the effect is like having more bass since the upper frequencies have been turned down.


The fact that at least on my system, with the DTS version playing louder...may give others (if in fact the DTS plays louder on other systems too) the impression that the DTS version "sounds" better. When in fact it's really the same and possibly not correct for music reproduction. I say this (and please correct me if I'm wrong,) I think the 4db adjustment in the DTS mode is only for movie soundtracks???


Regardless, I will say that even with the PCM and DTS tracks, I really don't get a real sense of good strong bass with the release of this recording. Or really low bass for that matter. It's there, however the bass seems to be just slightly less than it needs to be to balance out the rest of the frequencies. I read one comment on this forum that the bass was really strong (in the DTS mode.) It's possible that their system is set up differently than mine.

Not only is my Pioneer Pro Kuro professionally calibrated, so is my audio system. UMR not only calibrated the audio for movie soundtracks, he also checked it with some of his Blu-ray music only tracks. So I'm sure what I'm experiencing is how the tracks were laid down in this latest release of "Damn the Torpedoes."

Like I said, the 2 channel version seemed weak in the bass. With that in mind, I'm sure the remixed multi channel mix (as far as the bass is concerned) was kept within the "spirit" of the original 1979 recording. Opening the bass only a little bit more to round out the "feel" for the modern multi channel mix.

I would like to add, when I compare "Damn the Torpedoes" to Petty's Blu-ray audio "Live Anthology," there seems to be a little bit more bass (in the stereo mode.) And with either the multi channel modes, "Live Anthology" has lots of bass and lots of very low frequency bass and some good "kick"...much like what I would expect to hear at a concert.


Screw SACD and DVD-A, I look forward to more high resolution albums being released in the Blu-ray format! (I think) there's probably more people who have Blu-ray players than SACD and DVD-A players. And the setup for high resolution multi channel playback is much easier with the one HDMI connection! Also depending on the album, I also look forward to good, high quality, high resolution two channel releases on Blu-ray.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #160 of 169 Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Besides a Blu-ray not being able to play because of a needed update...for the first time I've discovered a issue with my Pioneer 51FD.

It's with a feature built in with Blu-ray audio discs.

In particular, the area where I can select to see pictures or any other image related features where I can click on "next" to see the next picture or graphic.

This happens both on my Rush and Tom Petty Blu-rays. While viewing the images, most of the time my player will lock up and freeze.

The only way to gain control of the player is by pushing the "off" or "power" button and keeping it pushed for about 5 seconds or so till the player actually turns off.

Everything is fine again when I turn it back on. Sometimes I'm able to view all the images (if I keep up the pace,) however if I linger too long on one image (or go back and forth,) the player freezes again.

On my Tom Petty Blu-ray, I'm not even able to view the image...that selection simply goes to another part of a graphically related feature.

I don't know if it's my player, or if it's in need of a update. Currently, I'm only one update behind, though I don't know if that would fix it or not.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #161 of 169 Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Screw SACD and DVD-A, I look forward to more high resolution albums being released in the Blu-ray format! (I think) there's probably more people who have Blu-ray players than SACD and DVD-A players. And the setup for high resolution multi channel playback is much easier with the one HDMI connection! Also depending on the album, I also look forward to good, high quality, high resolution two channel releases on Blu-ray.

Thats too bad as you will be missing out on some very good music on 2CH and MCH SACDs. I can play MCH SACDs with HDMI no problem. So I'm not sure why you think you can not use HDMI for SACD playback. High quality 2CH releases on Bluray would be excellent. But it would be even nicer to have MCH versions of the same recordings as well.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #162 of 169 Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill mac View Post

thats too bad as you will be missing out on some very good music on 2ch and mch sacds. I can play mch sacds with hdmi no problem. So i'm not sure why you think you can not use hdmi for sacd playback. High quality 2ch releases on bluray would be excellent. But it would be even nicer to have mch versions of the same recordings as well.

Bill

+1

******************

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
holt7153 is offline  
post #163 of 169 Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Thats too bad as you will be missing out on some very good music on 2CH and MCH SACDs. I can play MCH SACDs with HDMI no problem. So I'm not sure why you think you can not use HDMI for SACD playback. High quality 2CH releases on Bluray would be excellent. But it would be even nicer to have MCH versions of the same recordings as well.

Bill

I was unaware HDMI could be use for SACDs. That probably tells you how long it's been since I've considered SACDs.

At one point I've read iLink was the best connection for SACD audio.

I've never understood why there could not be any reasonable dual format players (DVD-A / SACD) players...as I only bought a DVD player that could do DVD-A...only used it a few times for DVD-A.

I ended up buying the SACD of "Dark Side of the Moon" and up to this point heard the regular CD version of it. I figured one day I would have a SACD player and ended up buying a Blu-ray player instead.

My Blu-ray player is the one set up and calibrated with the rest of my system. My DVD-A player is not. Chances are, I will never have my old DVD-A player hooked up again. And chances are, I'll never have a SACD player.

Makes lots of sense to me to have these high resolution releases on Blu-ray only.

It also makes a lot of sense to have one format for high resolution. We've been through it all before.

VHS/BETA
DIVX/DVD
DCC/MD
DVD-A/SACD
DVD-HD/BLU-RAY

I'm really tired of it and something has to give.


I will say the thing I can't stand about Blu-ray audio (just like DVD-A) is the video credits BEFORE the music. They can put that stuff anywhere and for one reason or another, they have to slip it in the very beginning. And it would be nice if the audio started from the start of the album...instead of some selected audio used for the INDEX. The music needs to start right up after inserting the disc.

It's bad enough that my Blu-ray player takes a while to turn on. And it's just as bad having to wait for my Blu-ray player to load a disc, and it's triple bad waiting for the music to start because it has all that other stuff in front of the music!


Of course the only high resolution format that avoids all that mess is SACD. Maybe SACD should be available in all Blu-ray players. Or even better yet, make all high resolution discs in the Blu-ray format mastered so the music starts right away.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #164 of 169 Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Get an Oppo for ALL your discs and call it a day.

******************

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
holt7153 is offline  
post #165 of 169 Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
[quote=Thebarnman;20524456]
Quote:


I was unaware HDMI could be use for SACDs. That probably tells you how long it's been since I've considered SACDs. At one point I've read iLink was the best connection for SACD audio.

Well now you are in the know. I assume when you say ilink you are referring to Pioneer components. The last component I had with ilink was a Pioneer DV79avi which was a great universal player. But unless you have an ilink equipped AVR/prepro you can not use that connection. HDMI is the new ilink.

Quote:


I've never understood why there could not be any reasonable dual format players (DVD-A / SACD) players...as I only bought a DVD player that could do DVD-A...only used it a few times for DVD-A.

I know there are a number of universal players available but for the money the Oppo players are the best IMO.

Quote:


Of course the only high resolution format that avoids all that mess is SACD. Maybe SACD should be available in all Blu-ray players. Or even better yet, make all high resolution discs in the Blu-ray format mastered so the music starts right away.

It would be fine with Sony if all Bluray players had SACD playback. If my I'm not mistaken Sony gets a fee for all SACD equipped players. Bluray audio might be the new SACD but don't count SACD out just yet.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #166 of 169 Old 06-05-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Get an Oppo for ALL your discs and call it a day.

I agree 100%. Get an Oppo even if it is a used 83 or the new 93 why not have something that will play all the discs you own.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #167 of 169 Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I agree 100%. Get an Oppo even if it is a used 83 or the new 93 why not have something that will play all the discs you own.

Bill

1. I know we are getting off topic here, however, your suggesting those players only need a HDMI connection to my Pioneer receiver? Sounds easy.

2. I'm used to having my audio equipment professionally calibrated. The receiver has been EQed for my room for my current Pioneer Blu-ray player (the 05FD...the best CD player I've ever owned!) I may have to ask someone else, however I wonder if the EQ will hold and be the same when I hook up another audio source to the receiver? Of course, there will be slight differences between players...hopefully though not that much.

3. Is there a difference in quality between the 83 and 93?

4. And what is it to a "true" SACD playback. I think it has something to do with the differences between the way different players decode a SACD source?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #168 of 169 Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shinksma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wandering the intertubes, on the way to damnation
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
1. I know we are getting off topic here, however, your suggesting those players only need a HDMI connection to my Pioneer receiver? Sounds easy.
Yes. The Oppos, like most modern SACD/DVD-A players (as few as they are!), output the 5.1 audio as PCM over HDMI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
2. I'm used to having my audio equipment professionally calibrated. The receiver has been EQed for my room for my current Pioneer Blu-ray player (the 05FD...the best CD player I've ever owned!) I may have to ask someone else, however I wonder if the EQ will hold and be the same when I hook up another audio source to the receiver? Of course, there will be slight differences between players...hopefully though not that much.
The PCM audio is just the digital stream, it hasn't been "colored" or altered, so the only issue would be if your AVR's calibration was done to offset coloring from the analog inputs. PCM from any player is supposed to be indentical to PCM from any other player, so if it is calibrated for one PCM source it will be calibrated for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
3. Is there a difference in quality between the 83 and 93?
The 93 supports HDMI1.4 for 3D BD, the 83 doesn't. Other slight tweaks, otherwise they are pretty well the same. If you ever want to go 3D BD get the 93, otherwise you might find a good price (but probably never a bargain) on an 83.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
4. And what is it to a "true" SACD playback. I think it has something to do with the differences between the way different players decode a SACD source?
Some SACD players, like the Oppos, will transmit the "raw" DSD data to the AVR, which is touted as a good thing if the AVR can convert DSD directly to the analog audio needed by the amplifer section without an intermediate conversion to PCM. Not all AVRs will do this: even though they will accept DSD, they will first convert it to PCM and then to analog audio. For AVRs that don't support a DSD signal the player converts the DSD to PCM and sends it out that way.

I don't believe you have mentioned which model of AVR you have, so you'll have to dig a bit to find whether yours supports direct DSD->analog, and whether that is important to you.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
shinksma is offline  
post #169 of 169 Old 06-10-2011, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

I don't believe you have mentioned which model of AVR you have, so you'll have to dig a bit to find whether yours supports direct DSD->analog, and whether that is important to you.

shinksma


Hmmmmm, this is getting interesting. I have the Pioneer SC-05. I downloaded the manual in PDF format. The manual is for the 05 and 07.

I typed in DSD and came up with this result...

3 Digital format indicators
Light when a signal encoded in the corresponding format
is detected (DSDtoPCM lights during DSD (Digital
Stream Direct) to PCM conversion with SACDs).

Of course this could be a feature on the 07 and not the 05, though I'll have to check that out. At the same time I don't see some sort of asterisk indicating it's on the 07 and not the 05...so I'm guessing my receiver can decode a direct DSD stream. As mentioned and I would assume, that's the best scenario for audio quality.


Like I said, this is getting interesting.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off