A little news on "Wish You Were Here" SACD - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 382 Old 12-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the sacd sound exactly like the 5.1 immersion mix? Deciding if I should purchase the sacd version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 382 Old 12-23-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Note to self - wait for The Wall SACD to come to Amazon and save a bundle...

+$85

(The price of the Immersion set - the cost of the SACD)
post #333 of 382 Old 12-23-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

+$85

(The price of the Immersion set - the cost of the SACD)

I was thinking more about the difference between what I paid for WYWH + shipping and what it is on Amazon for

post #334 of 382 Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think we need better clarity on the options you are considering. For 5.1 audio; the choice is Immersion Blu ray or SACD. The difference in price between the two is indeed $85 or so.
post #335 of 382 Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you buy Immersion set and then sell everything but BD disk, you can get some of that price difference back. Or as some do (I do not approve this), make a copy of BD disk and then sell the whole set.
post #336 of 382 Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Copying is not an option as I understand avsforum protocol
post #337 of 382 Old 12-23-2011, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

If you buy Immersion set and then sell everything but BD disk, you can get some of that price difference back. Or as some do (I do not approve this), make a copy of BD disk and then sell the whole set.

I'm just going to end up keeping the Immersion set for WYWH, but won't be making that mistake again. I'll just have to be patient and assume that 5.1 will be available in SACD format at a reasonable price a few months after future releases.
post #338 of 382 Old 12-24-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
AFIK......

The SACD release of WWYH was announced around the same time as the immersion edition.

It is also the only SACD in the bunch. Immersion editions of DSoTM and the Wall will not be followed by SACD releases. There is one out there for DSoTM already, and the Wall does not include any surround mixes.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #339 of 382 Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

Immersion editions of DSoTM and the Wall will not be followed by SACD releases.

James Guthrie has stated in a recent interview (linked earlier in this thread) that he is working on a Multi-Channel mix for The Wall for a SACD to be released in the future.

A quote from the interview linked below:

"I will be doing a 5.1 mix of The Wall for release on SACD, but we don't have a planned release date for that yet."

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/albums...-james-gu.html

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #340 of 382 Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I read the same interview with James Guthrie about releasing the Wall in 5.1 on SACD.

The interview was highly SACD focused. I would bet that if a 5.1 SACD version of the Wall is created, it will come out on BluRay also.
post #341 of 382 Old 12-25-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Got the Immersion set this morning. Only listened to the Blu Ray mix, but it was freaking awesome! Going to dive into the other discs later today.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #342 of 382 Old 12-26-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

A little off-topic here and I do apologize for this interruption, but who here has seen Roger Waters perform The Wall live? He's coming back to Atlanta this summer, and I'm wrestling if I want to spend upwards of $600 for two nice seats to the show, get the cheapest seats possible, or skip it entirely. I was born two decades too late to see Pink Floyd live, so I'd imagine this is the closest I'll ever get to seeing the band. There isn't a Floyd album I don't love (aside from The Division Bell), but I must admit that I don't know squat about the surviving members' solo careers. What should I expect? Anyone seen his road show in the last couple of years? Is it worth getting whatever VIP seats are available?

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #343 of 382 Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

A little off-topic here and I do apologize for this interruption, but who here has seen Roger Waters perform The Wall live? He's coming back to Atlanta this summer, and I'm wrestling if I want to spend upwards of $600 for two nice seats to the show, get the cheapest seats possible, or skip it entirely. I was born two decades too late to see Pink Floyd live, so I'd imagine this is the closest I'll ever get to seeing the band. There isn't a Floyd album I don't love (aside from The Division Bell), but I must admit that I don't know squat about the surviving members' solo careers. What should I expect? Anyone seen his road show in the last couple of years? Is it worth getting whatever VIP seats are available?

I saw him perform The Wall twice recently and plan to see it again when he comes to L.A. next year. HIGHLY recommended and very visual. As far as ticket prices go we enjoyed the show from decent seats every bit as much as megabuck floor seats. For me it was much more enjoyable than seeing Gilmour's last tour.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #344 of 382 Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Saw The Wall in Tacoma last year and it was a fantastic show! Hope to go again when Roger comes to Seattle in May. Well worth a ticket.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #345 of 382 Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM

I attended the Philadelphia arena show with a co-worker. We intentionally bought first level away from the stage, next to the sound board. Essentially we were two or three rows above the ice at a hockey game between the blue line and the goal. The projections were perfectl, we could see the entire Wall and heard decent surround effects. I would not suggest any floor seat.

If the Atlanta show is an outdoor stadium show I am not sure what to suggest as lower level seats will be much further away that our indoor area seats were.

YMMV, Michael

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
post #346 of 382 Old 01-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

James Guthrie has stated in a recent interview (linked earlier in this thread) that he is working on a Multi-Channel mix for The Wall for a SACD to be released in the future.

"I will be doing a 5.1 mix of The Wall for release on SACD, but we don't have a planned release date for that yet."

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/albums...-james-gu.html

Bill

Animals deserves the Immersion treatment too. Or at least a 5.1 mix.

I suppose there is no chance EMI will release the WYWH bluray by itself. I really want to hear those quad mixes. Don't care about some of the other stuff in the set. I know about the SACD, but that is just the new 5.1 mix.

Jeffer65
post #347 of 382 Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon pushed the disc back from shipping one month, so I purchased it from music direct instead. Not sure why amazons stock is arriving a month late, but I just didn't feel like waiting any longer. Amazon originally said shipping jan 10th on pre-order...
post #348 of 382 Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Amazon pushed the disc back from shipping one month, so I purchased it from music direct instead.

Did they ship it? I ordered from Deepdiscount on release day, and it said in stock. Still hasn't shipped. Now it's not even coming up on google shopping.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #349 of 382 Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I always read these kinds of pronouncements with skepticism. Not that I think Guthrie is being dishonest, just that surround releases seem to appeal to such a niche consuemr that I can easily see the record company deciding to not bother.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #350 of 382 Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

I ordered from Deepdiscount on release day, and it said in stock. Still hasn't shipped.

Just as an FYI, I got shipping confirmation today, so perhaps whatever was holding these up has been resolved.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #351 of 382 Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM

Ordered mine from musicdirect on 1/22 and am sitting here enjoying as I type with a big grin on my face. This truly is a masterful mix! There were certain points in Welcome To The Machine where I closed my eyes and they were on stage in front of me. Tried to explain how magnificent this is to the Wife but I got no where! She just can't accept the beauty in this hobby.
post #352 of 382 Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

As nice as the 5.1 is, the live concert has been getting the most spinning time chez moi.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #353 of 382 Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Not sure if this question has been posted earlier but I just received my SAC-D last night. During playback of Wish You Were Here I got no sound during the initial low volume guitar. The song kicks in about 20 seconds in with the regular guitar.

Any thoughts on what could cause this? I gave the disk to a friend so he can try it on his player but haven't heard back yet. Just looking for anyone else that may have had similar experience.

Thanks.
post #354 of 382 Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswfaninaz View Post

Not sure if this question has been posted earlier but I just received my SAC-D last night. During playback of Wish You Were Here I got no sound during the initial low volume guitar. The song kicks in about 20 seconds in with the regular guitar.

Any thoughts on what could cause this? I gave the disk to a friend so he can try it on his player but haven't heard back yet. Just looking for anyone else that may have had similar experience.

Thanks.

IIRC, the "radio guitar" intro is in the rear speakers. Are you playing 2-ch mix or 5.1 mix? Are you getting other rear-speaker action in that and other songs for the 5.1 mix?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #355 of 382 Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 PM

I am getting other rear-speaker output. Have you ever heard of something like this being a media error? Kind of hard to picture that but I had read other posts that questioned the quality of where the CD was pressed.
post #356 of 382 Old 02-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Nil

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

As nice as the 5.1 is, the live concert has been getting the most spinning time chez moi.

Love the live disk - in particular the early versions that ended up in Animals. Reminded me of the great concert bootleg, Animal Instincts. All the more reason why one of the greatest Pink Floyd albums ever, Animals, should get the SACD AND the Immersion box treatments.
post #357 of 382 Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Reminded me of the great concert bootleg, Animal Instincts. All the more reason why one of the greatest Pink Floyd albums ever, Animals, should get the SACD AND the Immersion box treatments.

Fully agree that Animals deserves the Immersion treatment (or at least Experience). Just isn't clear to me that there is enough material to fill out all those additional discs. As good as Animal Instincts is for an audience recording, it's likely not going to meet the band's standard for official release (no matter how much they clean it up); and there doesn't seem to be a Wembley-quality multi-track recording from 1977. Really too bad.

post #358 of 382 Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

At least one of two shows from Oakland CA 1977 was recorded as a soundboard as it is/was ? available as a stream from Wolfgang's vault. The sound quality was mediocre, but who knows what a studio could do with it.
post #359 of 382 Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer65 View Post

Animals deserves the Immersion treatment too. Or at least a 5.1 mix.

Amen! I saw the Animals tour show in Oakland in 1977 and they had a quadraphinc sound system, and that album is awesome in "surround".

Cheers! Big Rich
post #360 of 382 Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlike View Post

Amen! I saw the Animals tour show in Oakland in 1977 and they had a quadraphinc sound system, and that album is awesome in "surround".

Sadly I did not see them on that tour. Wish there was some video out there, but I never heard of any. Must have pretty cool with the floating family and the pig.

I think of the 70s Floyd albums, Animals had the best production quality, even better than The Wall. Best drum sound, best guitar sound, and the band really rocked. Love the extended jamming on that album. The cover art too.

You would think they would have live recordings and other stuff in the vaults, but who knows. Waters was losing himself on that tour, he may not want it released.

Jeffer65
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page