post #361 of 378 Old 02-11-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswfaninaz View Post

During playback of Wish You Were Here I got no sound during the initial low volume guitar. The song kicks in about 20 seconds in with the regular guitar.

I get the low volume guitar solely in the right surround channel starting at 0:17, then the "fuller" guitar starts in the fronts at 0:59.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 378 Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Re: Animals 5.1. Some of the interviews with James Guthrie indicated that the masters were in poor shape and that the tapes were lower audio quality than WYWY or DSOTM. So I do not expect much in the way of an expanded package.

I wonder why Echoes from 1974 Wembley was not released? They made a few errors, but overall it is a cool performance (with extra female vocalists and sax).

Agree that the 1977 Animals tours was good. Saw it in Oakland also. I don't remember if I was there the night they played Careful with That Axe Eugene. That was the tour where Roger got so irritated with fans that at one point he spit on them from the stage.
post #363 of 378 Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Officially just canceled my order for the Wall Immersion set. Just not worth it. If they would have at least done 2 channel hi-res I would have went for it. Makes no sense not to have this considering the recent remaster.

post #364 of 378 Old 02-13-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

Re: Animals 5.1. Some of the interviews with James Guthrie indicated that the masters were in poor shape and that the tapes were lower audio quality than WYWY or DSOTM. So I do not expect much in the way of an expanded package.

I wonder why Echoes from 1974 Wembley was not released? They made a few errors, but overall it is a cool performance (with extra female vocalists and sax).

Agree that the 1977 Animals tours was good. Saw it in Oakland also. I don't remember if I was there the night they played Careful with That Axe Eugene. That was the tour where Roger got so irritated with fans that at one point he spit on them from the stage.

I think 1977 was the height of the crappy tape period, so perhaps that is what Guthrie meant (although I'm sure there are work-arounds).

Fortunately there is a very good RIO of Echoes '74 - but it would be nice to get an official version.

Yes, Oakland was where they played Eugene, and for the final time. It is actually quite funny to go onto youtube and hear recordings of Waters' cursing at the audience for lighting off firecrackers, etc. With the benefit of 30 years of hindsight, I find myself in complete agreement with his sentiments.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #365 of 378 Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

Officially just canceled my order for the Wall Immersion set. Just not worth it. If they would have at least done 2 channel hi-res I would have went for it. Makes no sense not to have this considering the recent remaster.

Don't worry, Guthrie has said there's a 5.1 mix in the works.
It may take another 5 years, my guess is same time next year, but I think they've sold enough from this go round to hopefully, finally realize that there's a decent market for this.
I'm huge Floyd fan but I never bought The Wall in any format but I definitely would buy a hi-res surround of this or any other PF album, in any format physical or otherwise.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #366 of 378 Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Milt;

Never owned The Wall. The only question for me is how many times I somehow gave in to consumerism and purchased "an upgrade". This applies to all Floyd albums BTW. A sorry statement about my gullibility.
post #367 of 378 Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Milt;

Never owned The Wall. The only question for me is how many times I somehow gave in to consumerism and purchased "an upgrade". This applies to all Floyd albums BTW. A sorry statement about my gullibility.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
You're in good company

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #368 of 378 Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Should explain that I was repeating Milt's comment in my recent post.

Yes, I have owned many versions of the Wall. LP, then CD, DVD of Movie, Live CD, etc. etc.
post #369 of 378 Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:

That was the tour where Roger got so irritated with fans that at one point he spit on them from the stage.

That was in L.A. just before the Oakland show. Used to have a bootleg of that concert and Roger told the crowd "stop fighting, if you don't stop fighting we aren't going to play". The crowd at Oakland was respectful and were well under control during the quieter passages, and the band was pleased and so they played Eugene as a bonus encore for the only time that tour and never again since.

I believe that tour was the motivation for Roger to write the Wall. I really enjoyed that Oakland show and will never forget it.

Cheers! Big Rich
post #370 of 378 Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody snag the immersion version of the Wall? Any thoughts?
post #371 of 378 Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Spitting incident occurred during the last show, Olympic Stadium in Montreal, early July 1977. Crowd was very ugly, although most of the crowds on the tour weren't well behaved.
post #372 of 378 Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Maccur's post seems on track.

The Oakland show was pretty much a normal rock audience. I gather that this was the exception on the tour.
post #373 of 378 Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur View Post

Spitting incident occurred during the last show, Olympic Stadium in Montreal, early July 1977. Crowd was very ugly, although most of the crowds on the tour weren't well behaved.

Wow, the bootleg I had was from a show in Aneheim on 5/7/77, so I guess that means there were problems at multiple venues...

Cheers! Big Rich
post #374 of 378 Old 03-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't think you come up with the concept of "The Wall" to keep your fans separated from you over one single incident...

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #375 of 378 Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur View Post

To me, the thought of an "ugly crowd" at a Pink Floyd show is an abomination.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #376 of 378 Old 05-26-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Here is a link to a very interesting video with James Guthrie on The Missing Piano on the WYWH SACD.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #377 of 378 Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Here is a link to a very interesting video with James Guthrie on The Missing Piano on the WYWH SACD.

Bill

Fascinating. I also really enjoyed Storm's commentary on the album cover, and his "crummy pictures".
post #378 of 378 Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post

To me, the thought of an "ugly crowd" at a Pink Floyd show is an abomination.

Back then, Floyd drew in all sorts of riff raff. Nowadays, they are nearly exclusive to yacht-rock favoring conservative dads.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page