post #91 of 116 Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

Jeez, how much does a 9.1 system cost, and a receiver that can output that many channels?
Receivers with 9 amp channels and 9.1 processing can be had for as little as $1399 (or $999 refurbished). http://amzn.com/B0042KVX2S
Quote:

I wonder if it would just be cheaper to hire the band to play a personal concert.
If you mean local junior high school band, then yes.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 09-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks! for sharing.
post #93 of 116 Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure if the is posted yet but looks like many new Blu Ray audio only discs on the horizon, some nice titles.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&CategoryID=381&LabelID=333

post #94 of 116 Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That would be awesome! I have a 9.1 system and would LOVE to hear some audio recorded with that many channels! Id buy a copy just for the novelty factor alone!

post #95 of 116 Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:

I wish they would release more titles on Blu Ray discs than SACD.

Nothing wrong with SACD, but BD plays on all BD players and has enough space for the surround, stereo and CD mastering.

I have a number of hybrid SACDs that have SACD surround and stereo layers as well as a CD layer. Unless it is a real long album most fit on one disc if not two discs are used (for SACD).

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #96 of 116 Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking for a thread like this, but this thread seems to have gotten far behind. At least in the classical world there's a lot of these being produced outside of Universal's HFPA project, including releases by:

Naxos: http://www.naxos.com/blu-ray_audio.asp
Sono Luminus: http://www.sonoluminus.com/c-13-pure-audio-blu-ray.aspx
Decca: Britten War Requiem and Solti's Wagner Ring Cycle anniversary editions (Decca is part of Universal, no clue why these weren't done as part of the HFPA project)
2L: https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/dvd
Farao: Bruckner Symphonies 4,6,8 and Beethoven: Missa Solemnis
AIX: http://aixrecords.com/blu_ray.html
Tacet: http://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php?itemsPerPage=50&layout=katalog&language=en&filename=katalog.php

Plus, almost all of these releases (everyone but Decca) is in at least 5.1.
post #97 of 116 Old 02-03-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've just noticed over on the (UK) Universal Audio web site that Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John is to be released (24 March 2014) in, get this, 'SACD 5.1 surround' http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/boxset-elton-john-goodbye-yellow-brick-road-blu-ray-pure-audio-2014/invt/0602537585977

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #98 of 116 Old 02-03-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I've just noticed over on the (UK) Universal Audio web site that Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John is to be released (24 March 2014) in, get this, 'SACD 5.1 surround' http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/boxset-elton-john-goodbye-yellow-brick-road-blu-ray-pure-audio-2014/invt/0602537585977

There a a number of different editions coming out to celebrate the 40th anniversary of GYBR.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/elton-john-goodbye-yellow-brick-road-super-deluxe-pre-order/
post #99 of 116 Old 02-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Received the Blu-Ray Audio of Tommy by The Who from Amazon Canada. It is a different 5.1 mix from the SACD and the sound is significantly cleaner to my ears. There is one oddity to the mix; Keith Moon's drums come mostly from the left rear speaker. But it didn't bother me all that much, and the pristine sound of Townshend's guitars made up for this strange choice. Such a pity that Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner weren't given the chance to come up with a more balanced mix given the superior audio for this disc. The menu is spartan and there are no extras, but it is worth picking up for the reasonable price and for the great sound for this release.
post #100 of 116 Old 02-09-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Received the Blu-Ray Audio of Tommy by The Who from Amazon Canada. It is a different 5.1 mix from the SACD and the sound is significantly cleaner to my ears. There is one oddity to the mix; Keith Moon's drums come mostly from the left rear speaker. But it didn't bother me all that much, and the pristine sound of Townshend's guitars made up for this strange choice. Such a pity that Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner weren't given the chance to come up with a more balanced mix given the superior audio for this disc. The menu is spartan and there are no extras, but it is worth picking up for the reasonable price and for the great sound for this release.
There is a known issue with the mapping of the channels on the Tommy BD.
There's a thread on the Quadraphonic Quad forum regarding this if you're interested.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #101 of 116 Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
For anyone in Canada, it seems you can order the newer BD-As through HMV record stores, and they actually have a few on hand. I picked up Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life" locally on BD-A and just got off the phone from ordering Oscar Peterson's "Night Train" from them ($20). They seem to have most of these new ones in their catalog.
post #102 of 116 Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post

For anyone in Canada, it seems you can order the newer BD-As through HMV record stores, and they actually have a few on hand. I picked up Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life" locally on BD-A and just got off the phone from ordering Oscar Peterson's "Night Train" from them ($20). They seem to have most of these new ones in their catalog.
I thought about picking up that Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life" album, but meh, for my theater system I want surround sound remixes and for my two channel setup I cant tell the difference between SACD and FLAC, so I just stick with FLAC or CD. No sense IMO rebuying music I already own just to have it on blu-ray if they dont offer anything I dont already have.

post #103 of 116 Old 02-13-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

I thought about picking up that Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life" album, but meh, for my theater system I want surround sound remixes and for my two channel setup I cant tell the difference between SACD and FLAC, so I just stick with FLAC or CD. No sense IMO rebuying music I already own just to have it on blu-ray if they dont offer anything I dont already have.

I hear ya. This Stevie disc is one of the better BD-As I've bought so far, and though in stereo I've been listening to it in 2.2 and it sounds pretty awesome. I'm trying to be careful as well, not rebuying stuff I already have in another format. This hobby's expensive enough buying the first time!
post #104 of 116 Old 02-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
From the forum of sa-cd.net comes this list of upcoming Blu-ray Audio releases....

- Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
- Michael Jackson - Thriller
- Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
- Billy Joel - The Stranger
- Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
- Janis Joplin - Pearl
- Carole King - Tapestry
- Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
- Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
- Dave Brubeck - Time Out
- Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
- Lou Reed - Transformer
- The Clash - London Calling
- Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
- Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble - Texas Flood
- Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin 'On
- Pearl Jam - Ten
- James Taylor - JT
- Peter Tosh - Legalize It
- Patti Smith - Horses

post #105 of 116 Old 02-14-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post

From the forum of sa-cd.net comes this list of upcoming Blu-ray Audio releases....
Really... Can you provide a link to where can this list be found please?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #106 of 116 Old 02-14-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way...

I've just noticed that my Queen - A Night At The Opera, HFPA Blu-ray disc does not include any Dolby TrueHD streams

post #107 of 116 Old 02-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

By the way...

I've just noticed that my Queen - A Night At The Opera, HFPA Blu-ray disc does not include any Dolby TrueHD streams

Perhaps that's fortunate. My Oppo 103 is still not starting the songs correctly on these discs in Dolby TrueHD, DTS and PCM are fine.

Is this the list you were looking for? Sony entries I believe on BD-A

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread.php?page=84
post #108 of 116 Old 02-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Perhaps that's fortunate. My Oppo 103 is still not starting the songs correctly on these discs in Dolby TrueHD, DTS and PCM are fine.

Is this the list you were looking for? Sony entries I believe on BD-A

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread.php?page=84
Yes Sony discs. Lets hope they do a better releasing job than HFPA did with their discs and give us a little more info on the mastering. Between this and DSD Sony should be pretty busy.
post #109 of 116 Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
heh, nice reason to come back here and nerdy out... listening to the Tears for Fears release. No idea really if I'm hearing anything necessarily better than my CD, but no matter... it makes me FEEL better to think it's HiRez. smile.gif

It'd be nice if the first post was updated with the myriad of titles out now. Got a bunch from AZN, but here in Toronto both Sunrise and HMV retail stores (!) are selling them.

Read
!
post #110 of 116 Old 03-05-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Yes Sony discs. Lets hope they do a better releasing job than HFPA did with their discs and give us a little more info on the mastering. Between this and DSD Sony should be pretty busy.

The addition of surround mixes would be especially welcome and not that hard for Sony to do. But we'll see. The history of HFPA so far leads me to believe it won't happen.
post #111 of 116 Old 03-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

The addition of surround mixes would be especially welcome and not that hard for Sony to do. But we'll see. The history of HFPA so far leads me to believe it won't happen.
Agree completely. I never heard the Thriller SACD was it in surround? If so that should be a 5.1 blu ray and i think Headhunters was a 5.1 disc as well. I would like to hear a 5.1 mix of PJ's Ten but nothing else on that list really excites me that much.
post #112 of 116 Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just came across a couple Nirvana Blu-ray audio discs on the MusicDirect website. Are these legit, I mean are they actually in 24/96 resolution? If so what are they encoded with PCM, Dolby TrueHD or dts-HD Master Audio and are they stereo or surround?

post #113 of 116 Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

I just came across a couple Nirvana Blu-ray audio discs on the MusicDirect website. Are these legit, I mean are they actually in 24/96 resolution? If so what are they encoded with PCM, Dolby TrueHD or dts-HD Master Audio and are they stereo or surround?
They are most certainly legit as they are listed on Universal Music's web site...

post #114 of 116 Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool thanks. Having experience with DVD-Audio I'm always skptical of what's on the disc as not all DVD-A discs were created equal. I have discs that are only 48kHz and 88.1kHz. It wasn't until I actually went through all of my discs recently after having my player fixed that I was curious of the resolution so I turned on the system display. I had assumed everything was 96kHz when in fact it turned out only about half of my discs were. Aparently "high resolution" or "advanced resolution" starts at 48kHz smile.gif

post #115 of 116 Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Cool thanks. Having experience with DVD-Audio I'm always skptical of what's on the disc as not all DVD-A discs were created equal. I have discs that are only 48kHz and 88.1kHz. It wasn't until I actually went through all of my discs recently after having my player fixed that I was curious of the resolution so I turned on the system display. I had assumed everything was 96kHz when in fact it turned out only about half of my discs were. Aparently "high resolution" or "advanced resolution" starts at 48kHz smile.gif

Just an FYI Rod, those 2 Nirvana HFPA discs had markedly different reviews. In Utero was rated highly and Nevermind not so much as I recall. Reviews are on blu-ray.com and other sites I suspect. If you have an interest, maybe check out some of those reviews first wink.gif
post #116 of 116 Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just an FYI Rod, those 2 Nirvana HFPA discs had markedly different reviews. In Utero was rated highly and Nevermind not so much as I recall. Reviews are on blu-ray.com and other sites I suspect. If you have an interest, maybe check out some of those reviews first wink.gif

Great thanks, I'll do that.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page