Master list of Blu-Ray Audio titles - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #121 of 134 Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Well....

It may come as no surprise to some but our friends over at Universal (UK/EU) appear to have quietly abandoned the HFPA disc format.

They're currently offering just 39 titles over on their web site. And nothing new has been released so-far this year

What a shame...
acebreathe and Tornado Red like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 134 Old 03-14-2016, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Yup not surprised at all, sadly.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #123 of 134 Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Well....

It may come as no surprise to some but our friends over at Universal (UK/EU) appear to have quietly abandoned the HFPA disc format.

They're currently offering just 39 titles over on their web site. And nothing new has been released so-far this year

What a shame...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yup not surprised at all, sadly.
I truly hope this is not actually the case, but...........

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 & BDP-103D (waiting for 4K ) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #124 of 134 Old 04-16-2016, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I bought Beck's See Change at Amazon for less than half of price they list there. Amazon sucks when you try to find high res disks but http://www.sa-cd.net/ has all titles available in high res and redirects to Amazon anyway. Needless to say I try to avoid HDTracks because albums there are bunch of flac files so there is always sharp transitions from one piece to another and it ruins listening to classical music or concept albums, and quality for some reason is not as good. From all high res formats I own all BDA disks have superior SQ compared to other formats, like SACD, DVD-A, downloads. I cannot explain why, they all are PCM files in theory. SACD/DSD sound has some kind of harmonics similar tube amps and I do not like that, I prefer crisp and clean sound. SO IMO BD-A is the best format IMO.

Source/Dac/Pre: OPPO-105
Fronts: Benchmark AHB2 -> DefTech Mythos ST-Ls
Surrounds: Parasound Halo A23 -> DefTech Mythos Gems
post #125 of 134 Old 04-16-2016, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Another squandered opportunity by the industry to do it right. The classical discs I own sound phenominal, so a few got it right. The pop/rock discs I own are horridly compressed crap borrowed from recent "remasters".

Unfortunately, if you don't put out new material from relevant artists (and no, Tom Petty is no longer relevant) in a way that takes full advantage of the gifts the tecnology affords, the format will fail.

The record folks had an opportunity to knock our effin socks off with this, and they blew it.

...Again.

DJ

Overkill IS my middle name.
post #126 of 134 Old 04-17-2016, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djreef View Post
Another squandered opportunity by the industry to do it right. The classical discs I own sound phenominal, so a few got it right. The pop/rock discs I own are horridly compressed crap borrowed from recent "remasters".

Unfortunately, if you don't put out new material from relevant artists (and no, Tom Petty is no longer relevant) in a way that takes full advantage of the gifts the tecnology affords, the format will fail.

The record folks had an opportunity to knock our effin socks off with this, and they blew it.

...Again.

DJ
Agree about the record folks disagree about T. Petty but wish others had followed his lead in releasing new material instead of material we already have sometimes in more than one format. Big F to the music industry and no the F is a grade not the other.
post #127 of 134 Old 04-17-2016, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thankfully not all HFPA disc's are re-releases of ancient material. I recently picked-up Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit and Ben Howard's I Forget Where We Were, which had original release dates of Mar 2013 and Oct 2014 receptively

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #128 of 134 Old 04-17-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Thankfully not all HFPA disc's are re-releases of ancient material. I recently picked-up Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit and Ben Howard's I Forget Where We Were, which had original release dates of Mar 2013 and Oct 2014 receptively
Yes, but these releases should have at the very least double the dynamics that they do. It's sad to see this crap mastering starting to creep into Jazz, now.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/77464

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/52642

This is the type of thing I'm referring to. The industry had a chance to do this right and they jacked it up.

DJ

Overkill IS my middle name.

Last edited by djreef; 04-17-2016 at 09:25 AM.
post #129 of 134 Old 04-17-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djreef View Post
Yes, but these releases should have at the very least double the dynamics that they do.... The industry had a chance to do this right and they jacked it up.
I couldn't agree more. It does make you wonder if the people in-charge of quality control are interested in music at all
acebreathe likes this.

post #130 of 134 Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 AM

All phenomenal sounding BD-As I have are brand new records. Liner notes say that record is made using high res audio equipment. For some reason new SACD material does not sound as good. Difference might be how DSD recorded and edited compared with BDA PCM. Or may be when making BD-A record they follow higher standards? That they continue to screw it up (including HDTracks and PONO) - there is no doubt. I admire NAXOS though (Chinese company) for what they do, unlike more traditional record companies. If I see newly recorded NAXOS BD-A I grab it no questions asked. Living Stereo SACDs are not so bad either but they are all old tape records from 50s-60s and therefore not recorded to modern standards but still way better than stuff from 70s and 80s. Tape deteriorates over time you know and magnetic tape is a nonlinear analogue medium to start with.

post #131 of 134 Old 04-18-2016, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetter View Post
Needless to say I try to avoid HDTracks because albums there are bunch of flac files so there is always sharp transitions from one piece to another and it ruins listening to classical music or concept albums,
That depends on your media player. The Oppo won't do gapless playback on files via it's USB input, be it FLAC or other lossless container. It needs a cue sheet, yes HD track and the likes should offer their downloads as a single file with certain albums that needs gapless playback.I would think there are tools to do that though.......

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #132 of 134 Old 04-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
That depends on your media player. The Oppo won't do gapless playback on files via it's USB input, be it FLAC or other lossless container. It needs a cue sheet, yes HD track and the likes should offer their downloads as a single file with certain albums that needs gapless playback.I would think there are tools to do that though.......
Yes it is OPPO-105. Yeah, its a good idea to search a tool.But still HDTracks could be less lazy and offer cue file and liner notes.

post #133 of 134 Old 09-22-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's just 30 titles now

post #134 of 134 Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
It's just 30 titles now
Pathetic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement