Rush 5.1 re-releases being readied - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 378 Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Snakes and Arrows was never meant to be a true DVD-Audio disc--it was one of the Music Video Interactive (MVI) DVDs that came out a few years ago, another format idea that almost promptly disintegrated. I own a copy of it, and although the Dolby 5.1 mix is okay, it's never going to match the quality of Moving Pictures or anything in the Sector sets. It was, by and large, a format experiment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 378 Old 11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LineWalker View Post

Finally, confirmed news from MusicTAP on the 2112 reissue. There will be three versions of the set: In addition to the previously mentioned Super Deluxe edition, which will have a CD and a Blu-ray Disc of the album, there will also be separate sets with the CD and either the Blu-ray or a DVD-Audio disc. Links to Amazon are up on the MusicTAP site (sorry I couldn't copy them over to here). Looking good... cool.gif

I wonder what is on the super deluxe version that isn't on the regular deluxe version?

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #363 of 378 Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just got a look at the listing on Amazon for the Super Deluxe Edition of 2112, and it looks to be a grand package indeed. In fact, here's a description of all three versions, the SDE and the 2-disc Deluxe Editions:
Quote:
2112: DELUXE EDITIONS (DVD Version and Blu-Ray Version):
2 DISC: CD + DVD AUDIO/VIDEO
2 DISC: CD + BLU-RAY
Expanded artwork, liner notes, lyrics and unreleased photos by original album designer Hugh Syme. Brand new liner notes by David Fricke, Rolling Stone.
CD - Digitally remastered plus 3 unreleased bonus live tracks:
- Overture (Northland Coliseum, Edmonton, AB - June 25, 1981)
- The Temples of Syrinx (Northland Coliseum, Edmonton, AB - June 25, 1981)
- A Passage To Bangkok (Manchester Apollo, Manchester, England - June 17, 1980)

DVD AUDIO/VIDEO AND BLU-RAY CONTAIN:
- Digital Comic Book - experience the comic book formatted for widescreen televisions during playback of the album.
- Photo Gallery - unreleased photos and handwritten lyrics by Neil Peart
-DVD AUDIO/VIDEO SPECS:
-5.1 Surround Sound mix by Richard Chycki in PCM (DVD-Audio players) and 48kHz / 24-bit Dolby Digital (DVD-Video players)
- 96kHz / 24-bit PCM Stereo (DVD-Audio players) and 48kHz / 24-bit Dolby Digital Stereo (DVD-Video players)
-BLU-RAY SPECS:
-5.1 Surround Sound mix by Richard Chycki in 96kHz / 24-bit PCM and DTS-HD Master Audio
- 96kHz / 24-bit PCM Stereo

2112: SUPER DELUXE EDITION
2 DISC: CD + BLU-RAY version contained in hardbound book case
Housed in a hardbound book with a 40 page comic book by story artist Tom Hodges (Star Wars "The Clone Wars," The Simpson's "Treehouse of Horrors #17") and a 24 page book with expanded artwork, liner notes, lyrics and unreleased photos. New liner notes written by David Fricke, Rolling Stone.

Impressive, yes? And although it's expensive (Amazon currently has it for about $60-odd), the SDE is the set I'll be aiming for primarily. cool.gif

post #364 of 378 Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Just got a look at the listing on Amazon for the Super Deluxe Edition of 2112, and it looks to be a grand package indeed. In fact, here's a description of all three versions, the SDE and the 2-disc Deluxe Editions:
Impressive, yes? And although it's expensive (Amazon currently has it for about $60-odd), the SDE is the set I'll be aiming for primarily. cool.gif

Interesting. Looks like Rush is learning a few tricks about offering Deluxe Editions (or "Super Deluxe", in this case), perhaps influenced by a certain Mr. Steven Wilson. (A certain Alex Lifeson did a guitar solo on FoaBP, and Neil Peart is friends with John Wesley, touring guitarist for PTree.) I certainly have almost all his Deluxe Editions (for some reason the live releases don't appeal to me, so I lack Anesthetize Deluxe, for example).

Pre-ordered both the SDE and Deluxe CD+BD editions - will monitor both for price drops, and make a cancellation the week before.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #365 of 378 Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

As of today, MusicTAP has a picture or two of the cover art for the Deluxe Editions, and the package for the Super Deluxe Edition. From what I saw, the SDE is even more tempting than I thought it would be. eek.gif

They also posted some of the specs for the DVD-Audio version, but not for the Blu-ray.

post #366 of 378 Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

As of today, MusicTAP has a picture or two of the cover art for the Deluxe Editions, and the package for the Super Deluxe Edition. From what I saw, the SDE is even more tempting than I thought it would be. eek.gif
They also posted some of the specs for the DVD-Audio version, but not for the Blu-ray.

my guess is the dvd-a and the bluray will sound the same - i'll probly go with the one that ask the least amount of money from me.
post #367 of 378 Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control.

Just finished listening to the Blu-ray from the SDE...and boy, is it something. Richard C. has come up with a mix nearly as good as what he did for Moving Pictures, though to me it wasn't nearly as phenomenal. It's a great mix, no doubt, but it's only slightly a lesser caliber than MP. You'll have to listen to it yourself to know what I mean.

For me, the mix wasn't particularly strong in the left speakers, though this may be due to how my Blu-ray player operates. It's got a somewhat annoying feature that plays almost all audio sources as 7.1, regardless of the actual mix, and this may have had an effect on the mix. (Strangely enough, only Dolby sources remain unaffected by this feature, only DTS and PCM are affected. I can't turn it off because doing so would force all my discs into 5.1, again regardless of the actual mix.) I do have the DVD-Audio DE, so maybe I'll fire that one up later for a comparison test.

The other aspects of the disc are intriguing in their own right. The animated comic book-style art paneling serves its purpose well, drawing the listener into the world of 2112 quite easily, and it works well with the other songs too. I looked through the onscreen liner notes and credits also--didn't bother with the photo gallery or the separate lyrics section, but I had little doubt they reflected what was already in the package. On the whole, I would recommend getting this one, especially the SDE (if only for the cool packaging on that set).

post #368 of 378 Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Just got mine in the mail. I am cranking it now. I like the comic book- so does my son!

Keep cranking!

Robert

I saw them in Atlanta and Houston last month. They are fabulous!! Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - imagine that!
post #369 of 378 Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control.
Just finished listening to the Blu-ray from the SDE...and boy, is it something. Richard C. has come up with a mix nearly as good as what he did for Moving Pictures, though to me it wasn't nearly as phenomenal. It's a great mix, no doubt, but it's only slightly a lesser caliber than MP. You'll have to listen to it yourself to know what I mean.
For me, the mix wasn't particularly strong in the left speakers, though this may be due to how my Blu-ray player operates. It's got a somewhat annoying feature that plays almost all audio sources as 7.1, regardless of the actual mix, and this may have had an effect on the mix. (Strangely enough, only Dolby sources remain unaffected by this feature, only DTS and PCM are affected. I can't turn it off because doing so would force all my discs into 5.1, again regardless of the actual mix.) I do have the DVD-Audio DE, so maybe I'll fire that one up later for a comparison test.
The other aspects of the disc are intriguing in their own right. The animated comic book-style art paneling serves its purpose well, drawing the listener into the world of 2112 quite easily, and it works well with the other songs too. I looked through the onscreen liner notes and credits also--didn't bother with the photo gallery or the separate lyrics section, but I had little doubt they reflected what was already in the package. On the whole, I would recommend getting this one, especially the SDE (if only for the cool packaging on that set).

I have the same situation with the left speakers it seems.
post #370 of 378 Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
that's odd-so it sounds like it's mixed hotter in the other channels?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #371 of 378 Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The DD is fine, it is only the DTS that seems a little off in the left channels
post #372 of 378 Old 12-19-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104

thanks-I'll check mine out when it arrives tomorrow.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #373 of 378 Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

Meant to chime in - ran into Geddy last week at TIFF - we chatted 5.1, and he said they've locked their Engineer in with the tapes ("he's got no life"), and that they plan on doing the same treatment for all their records.

Color me cynical, but I'm inclined to think that what may have been a plan in Ged's and/or the engineer's mind(s) to release "all their [Mercury?] records" with the "same [high resolution?] treatment" morphed into the Sector box sets once the idea hit UMG executives' desks. It's not my understanding that Rush/Anthem owns the Mercury albums. Do we really think that--after the box sets featuring one high rez release each--they're going to then go back and re-release on BD and/or DVD-A the albums from the Sector boxes that weren't high rez therein?

Having said that, 2112 is in the first Sector box and is of course now out on standalone DVD-A and BD. But at this pace, this is going to be a ~10-year project. I wish they would do a press release regarding the (high rez) plans so we'd know what the situation is. But methinks that the label may not even have decided, waiting to see how sales are . . .
post #374 of 378 Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Got a chance to listen to 2112 in 5.1 24/96 on both a reference mix stage and in my home theater. I'm not at all impressed with the mix. Basically sounds like Pro Logic. The surrounds and center are pretty much just reverb with the left & right carrying the bulk of the music. Neil's drums have about a 30 degree spread and none of his drum rolls go anywhere but center. I don't do a ton of DVD-A stuff but I guess I'm spoiled by the Elton John stuff. Too bad, opportunity missed.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #375 of 378 Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

Got a chance to listen to 2112 in 5.1 24/96 on both a reference mix stage and in my home theater. I'm not at all impressed with the mix. Basically sounds like Pro Logic. The surrounds and center are pretty much just reverb with the left & right carrying the bulk of the music. Neil's drums have about a 30 degree spread and none of his drum rolls go anywhere but center. I don't do a ton of DVD-A stuff but I guess I'm spoiled by the Elton John stuff. Too bad, opportunity missed.

They should have gotten Steven Wilson to do the mixing for them.

Chris
post #376 of 378 Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM

Sadly - very disappointed with Moving Pictures in the bass department....
post #377 of 378 Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boring Tree View Post

Sadly - very disappointed with Moving Pictures in the bass department....

I have the BD-A version and am also disappointed. Overall it sounds somewhat compressed. Drums have nowhere near the impact that they should. Same problem I have with the Genesis SACD Boxes. The 2 ELP releases sound excellent. I would love to have some more Rush Hi Rez but am afraid it will be the same quality. Have been disappointed in Rush Releases since I got the Rio DVD back in 03 and was treated to high quality crowd noise! The music is in there somewhere.
post #378 of 378 Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 AM

I would have to go back and listen to my regular Moving Pictures CD - but I seemed to remember it having better punch. I know I used to listen to that album A LOT and really enjoyed hearing it loud. The new disc did not suggest cranking it at all to me.

Another album that I feel the normal CD is better is the "black" album from Metallica. It sounds like since the bass player had left the group - they wanted to totally edit his part out of the surround mix.

And yes - certainly the care that Mr. Wilson puts into his work shows up in the two ELP releases. Interesting to compare to compare the Lucky Man mix from the old disc (bonus track from Brain Salad Surgery) to the new one. I can't think of another case where we have two different approaches to the same song in surround. They're both excellent in my opinion - just different.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page