Rush 5.1 re-releases being readied - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I wonder why Universal have not mentioned anything about this disc offering 5.1 channel audio on their web site: Rush - A Farewell To Kings. They really are bloody hopeless!
Well would you believe it... Universal have just updated the 'channel' information on their web site. Where's my complementary disc?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I think they SHOULD offer a totaly 100% analog copy of this album guys!!!!

I WOULD GET IT STRAIGHT AWAY!!!!!!! (Unless the original master is not out there in 100% analogue)
I'm pretty sure there is all analog master of the original recording out there, but I doubt a label like Universal would do a project that won't involve any digital step to bring this to the market.

"Too many notes, my Dear Mozart!"

The Hun
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh BTW who's doing the 5.1 remixes on these?

The Hun
Old 04-25-2015, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun
I'm pretty sure there is all analog master of the original recording out there, but I doubt a label like Universal would do a project that won't involve any digital step to bring this to the market.

Yea your probably right buddy..... Its sad.... All purity our world once had is gone
Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugster View Post
Got the 'A Farewell to Kings' bluray today. It's a great smooth surround mix. At least that's my take on the DD 5.1 tracks. The level/amount of surround is somewhere between Moving Pictures (some think it could be more enveloping) and 2112 which has more envelopment as well as effects that lend to surround application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I wonder if Gaugster has looked/found anything within the sleeve notes?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 04-25-2015, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I think I can help out.

2112 DVD-A 5.1 mixed by Richard Chycki at Mixland, Ontario, Mastered by Andy VanDette at Materdisk, NY. Supervised by Jeff Fura and Andy Curran
MP DVD-A mixed by Richard Chycki at Mixland, Ontario, Mastered by Andy VanDette at Materdisk, NY. Supervised by Jeff Fura and Pegi Cecconi
FWTK BluRay mixed by Richard Chycki at Mixland, Ontario, Mastered by Andy VanDette at Materdisk, NY. Supervised by Jeff Fura

While I am at it..........
Kevin Gray mastered the SACD 2-ch versions of Counterparts, Hemispheres and Presto
thehun likes this.

Gaugster
Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Thanks, mine should be here tomorrow.

The Hun
Old 04-26-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my copy of "A Farewell To Kings" BD. I did listen to it once and I must say I'm not too crazy about the mix. It's kind of uneven. On Xanadu the vocals are buried, yet on Closer to the Heart it's in your face. Also the title track has a horrible tape hiss at the beginning, neither the 2ch track or the CD copy I have have this problem. Clearly the MCH track used a different take or source. Also they used a bit too much echo on the guitars IMO to create a large artificial "hall" effect. Also the Dolby THD track is about 5db louder than the DTS HD MA one, clearly the dialnorm value is different, once they matched there is no difference among them, nor it should be.
I also sampled the 2ch HR track and compared it to my CD, and I can't tell any difference however this was really just a quick comparison. Using my headphones usually gives me a better chance to hear any differences and I haven't done it yet. Be back later....
Paul.R.S likes this.

The Hun
Old 04-27-2015, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaugster View Post
FWTK BluRay mixed by Richard Chycki at Mixland, Ontario, Mastered by Andy VanDette at Materdisk, NY. Supervised by Jeff Fura
The same guys are mentioned on the 'Sector 2' DVD-A release of A Farewell To Kings. So, baring some screw-up in the audio encoding process, the DVD-A and the Blu-ray HFPA disc's should sound identical...

Old 04-27-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The same guys are mentioned on the 'Sector 2' DVD-A release of A Farewell To Kings. So, baring some screw-up in the audio encoding process, the DVD-A and the Blu-ray HFPA disc's should sound identical...
So did people complained about the tape hiss at the beginning of the title track on the DVD-A too? It wouldn't bother me if it was historically there on all versions, but it's only on the MCH tracks.

The Hun
Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So did people complained about the tape hiss at the beginning of the title track on the DVD-A too? It wouldn't bother me if it was historically there on all versions, but it's only on the MCH tracks.
The hiss at the beginning of track "01 - A Farewell To Kings" is most certainly there on the multi-channel DVD-A. It's actually also audible on the original vinyl album and PolyGram CD. But less so...

Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The hiss at the beginning of track "01 - A Farewell To Kings" is most certainly there on the multi-channel DVD-A. It's actually also audible on the original vinyl album and PolyGram CD. But less so...
It's barely there on my 'Rush remaster series" CD from Mercury, and the same on this BD's stereo track. The MCH tracks also several dbs louder though especially the Dolby THD.

The Hun
Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital

I have a first pressing of it and there is NO HISS thankfully @ the start of song #1 (side 1) and the song XANADU sounds good and CLOSER TO THE HEART sounds excellent also
Old 06-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Old 06-12-2015, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
LOL I clicked on this and tells me I bought this already in last December! I guess I preordered it then,I had completely forgot about this. it should be out in August 18th.

The Hun
Old 06-12-2015, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
LOL I clicked on this and tells me I bought this already in last December! I guess I preordered it then,I had completely forgot about this. it should be out in August 18th.
Hmmm just make sure there's no snafu there, perhaps an order for a different format of Signals? I don't think Amazon was taking pre-orders for the BD-A five months ago?
Old 06-12-2015, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm just make sure there's no snafu there, perhaps an order for a different format of Signals? I don't think Amazon was taking pre-orders for the BD-A five months ago?
It is the same one, I certainly wouldn't pay $30 for a cd or MP3 versions, or vinyl as I don't have a TT. I was surprised too as I couldn't remember it, probably because it was part of a larger order.

The Hun
Old 06-12-2015, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Yes, Amazon (US) was taking pre-orders several months ago. I pre-ordered all 3 (FTK, FBN & Signals) on December 24, 2014.
Paul.R.S likes this.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got my Signals BD, will post impressions later.

The Hun
Old 08-21-2015, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any new/confirmed news regarding their first (1974) album?

Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just got my Signals BD, will post impressions later.
It's a great mix if you turn off the rear channels.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Location: n.j if the world gets an enema the hose will be above us
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
It's a great mix if you turn off the rear channels.
I was looking forward to this album . So the blu is based on the mix from the dvda ? On the Quadro Quad site they said it was the worst of the three mixes .

build coffins. that's all you'll need. R Neville
Old 08-27-2015, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbrazil View Post
I was looking forward to this album . So the blu is based on the mix from the dvda ? On the Quadro Quad site they said it was the worst of the three mixes .

That is correct.

I find the stereo version sounds pretty good but have only heard it through headphones.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbrazil View Post
This is easily the worst MCH mix I currently own, worse than ELP's Trilogy. Save your money! I also listened the 2ch track via my headphones, no issues there, except the bass is a little thin. Very disappointing overall as I like the album. Someone should fire that Richard Chycki guy.

The Hun
Old 08-29-2015, 06:01 AM

I have got the Signals bluray and listened to the the surround mix a couple of times. I love the album and love the songs but it just didn't seem to have much surround content. I will give it another listen today. I don't find it objectionable or poor audio. Just not much surround content or effects. But I wonder if that is also due to the content being more straight forward rock instead of acid rock or whatever they called it before the term progressive rock came into fashion.

Gaugster
Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Okay did some comparisons between Signals and FWTKs. Not knowing anything about the mixing process I would liken the Signals Surround to be most like a Matrix mix. By that I mean that there is lots of surround content but it is not very discrete. The two front channels basically show up as ambiance in the rears. Some people hate this because it makes the overall sound quality and enjoyment heavily dependent on tuned and balanced surround speakers etc...

You've got Alex's "Subdivisions" vocal that shows up somewhat discrete in the rears. Also the instrumental part of "The Weapon" has some decent surround content other than ambiance. Fly by pan on "Countdown".

New World Man is perhaps my favorite surround mix on the album. The beginning works well in surround.

You get a lot of vocals and keyboard/synths that are more enveloping because they show up in all channels. Again, any channel that is mismatched to the rest of the system will screw up the effect.

The Signals album in general is good but not as dynamic in terms of audio as other Rush albums. Some songs are uplifting while others are sad with dark foreboding lyrics. All these emotions are strengthened by the subtle envelopment that the ambient surrounds provide. You certainty won't be startled by a discrete surround effect and that works fine for me.

This is my opinion at least.

Gaugster

Last edited by Gaugster; 08-30-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah the term "Matrix" is a fitting description. Signals reminded me at those fake automated surround mixes that one can find on the net, made by amateurs. Not exactly a comment a major label wants to hear. The issue to me isn't just that the surrounds used to echo the mains, but the fact there is no thought was put forward, as what kind of mix this was meant to be. Almost like they had someone just twisting knobs randomly and call it a day. Like SW would say "what were they thinking?" Not a whole lot it seems.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement