post #91 of 378 Old 03-11-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin419 View Post

Pls can somebody answer: Will and BD version be "region free"???

We can't answer that until we get a review copy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 378 Old 03-11-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netudki View Post

So? The point is they are all PCM wrapped into a different encoder to reduce storage size.

Including the uncompressed PCM here along with the DTS HD MA is simply redundant IMO. Having said that I'm not complaining about it, I'm sure it serves some kind of marketing purpose.

It's not redundant and it serves for more than just marketing. If you have equipment without HDMI and without multi-channel analog inputs (receiver) or outputs (Blu-ray player) and are limited only to optical or digital coaxial for surround, the dts-ma allows you to have full bit-rate 1.509 Mbps dts.

PCM 24/96 5.1 over Toslink or DCoax will only output the L/R channels.

If your Blu-ray player > receiver is limited to HDMI 1.2 or less and your player cannot decode dts-ma, you can get PCM surround.

Including both dts-ma and PCM like the Tom Petty discs and now the Rush disc covers all bases and allows all consumers to get the maximum surround fidelity possible through all lossless configurations and through all lossy connection. Simple as that. As Ryan Ulyate pointed out in the Tom Petty thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan de topanga View Post

When it came to surround we had enough room to put both PCM 5.1 and DTS HD-MA on the disc. We did it to offer the most options for all the various possible configurations out there.

post #93 of 378 Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

It's not redundant and it serves for more than just marketing. If you have equipment without HDMI and without multi-channel analog inputs (receiver) or outputs (Blu-ray player) and are limited only to optical or digital coaxial for surround, the dts-ma allows you to have full bit-rate 1.509 Mbps dts.

PCM 24/96 5.1 over Toslink or DCoax will only output the L/R channels.

If your Blu-ray player > receiver is limited to HDMI 1.2 or less and your player cannot decode dts-ma, you can get PCM surround.

Including both dts-ma and PCM like the Tom Petty discs and now the Rush disc covers all bases and allows all consumers to get the maximum surround fidelity possible through all lossless configurations and through all lossy connection. Simple as that. As Ryan Ulyate pointed out in the Tom Petty thread:

You just described the marketing reasons. It would be redundant for those who can decode DTS HD MA and the uncompressed PCM which is probably the majority of this board, not counting those who may foolishly believes they aren't the same tracks.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #94 of 378 Old 03-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK the first step toward recovering is admitting I am a 47 year old rush nerd. I drug my wife to go see Rush (kicking and screaming I may add) perform Moving Pictures in it entirety last summer. It was a ton of fun. I am very excited to get my hands on this blu ray audio. I listen to the Tom Petty blu ray often and still grin every time I turn it on.

As others have mentioned Rush has done a poor job of bass mixing on previous offering to here is hoping for better results. I for one cant wait for the day it shows up in my mail box.
post #95 of 378 Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

From the Power Windows website:

Delay Update: It has been learned that the Moving Pictures - Deluxe Edition is still slated for an April 5th release. However, although nothing has yet been officially announced, it is rumored that while the CD/DVD edition will be available both in retail stores and via online retailers on April 5th, Best Buy will be the exclusive retailer for 30 days of the CD/Blu-Ray edition, i.e. it cannot be purchased elsewhere until May 3rd. It is unknown if the Best Buy edition will any additional content, stay tuned...

Link: http://news.2112.net/2010/05/rushs-b...1-reissue.html

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #96 of 378 Old 03-17-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post

OK the first step toward recovering is admitting I am a 47 year old rush nerd.

word...

if i had to guess, i'd guess that most of us in this thread fall in that age group...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #97 of 378 Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McWilliams View Post

Delay Update: It has been learned that the Moving Pictures - Deluxe Edition is still slated for an April 5th release. However, although nothing has yet been officially announced, it is rumored that while the CD/DVD edition will be available both in retail stores and via online retailers on April 5th, Best Buy will be the exclusive retailer for 30 days of the CD/Blu-Ray edition, i.e. it cannot be purchased elsewhere until May 3rd. It is unknown if the Best Buy edition will any additional content, stay tuned...

Interesting...That puts my order from Amazon on hold. I will wait and see how this shakes out...
post #98 of 378 Old 03-17-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Not so fast. I am a 31 yr old RUSH nerd and I conditioned my younger sister to now be a 22 yr old RUSH nerd.

Oh, and my son is a 2 yr old Steely Dan fanatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

word...
if i had to guess, i'd guess that most of us in this thread fall in that age group...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #99 of 378 Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post

Not so fast. I am a 31 yr old RUSH nerd and I conditioned my younger sister to now be a 22 yr old RUSH nerd.

a 22 year old female Rush fan???

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #100 of 378 Old 03-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McWilliams View Post

If the CD/DVD is actually DVD-A, I'll buy that from Amazon instead. Best Buy and these exclusive deals are stupid.
post #101 of 378 Old 03-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

a 22 year old female Rush fan???

Best take her in and have her studied as I have never heard of such a thing..

For what it is worth folks if you have not seen the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary of Rush put it on your to do list as it very well done.
post #102 of 378 Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Best take her in and have her studied as I have never heard of such a thing..

To and from school in my car everyday for years, what choice did she have?

Quote:

For what it is worth folks if you have not seen the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary of Rush put it on your to do list as it very well done.

Indeed. I think I watched it two nights in a row when it came out.

post #103 of 378 Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

While it is labled CD/DVD under SKU: 2276808 on the Best buy site this morning it looks like by the packaging it is indeed the Blu-ray/CD version 19.99 which would make sense as the item listed under this is the also listed as a DVD/CD but it is a couple bucks less.

Leads me to believe the blu-ray version will indeed be available through Best Buy on April 5th.
post #104 of 378 Old 03-18-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

the week of april 5th is shaping up to be a really good week then... new rush bd AND the masters...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #105 of 378 Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post

bah... whippersnapper!

i have a 52 year old female rush fan in my house though...

- chris

post #106 of 378 Old 03-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

^^^

the week of april 5th is shaping up to be a really good week then... new rush bd AND the masters...

i think the incredibles blu ray comes out that week too. and i'm going to cancun that week. wow, it will be a good week!
post #107 of 378 Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post
whether it is redundant or not, the DVD-A does not contain a 24/96/5.1 PCM track, and therein lies the difference between its contents and the Blu-ray disc contents.
Sorry for my ignorance, but in layman's terms, would this result in any difference in the audio fidelity of the two formats? I'm sure a lot depends on the quality of the equipment, but let's say you take two low-end players with no bells and whistles, would there be much difference in the sound from the Blu-ray vs. DVD-A?
post #108 of 378 Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

probably not even between the lossy DTS and MLP tracks, but that's subjective.

Boo!
post #109 of 378 Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterally View Post

Sorry for my ignorance, but in layman's terms, would this result in any difference in the audio fidelity of the two formats? I'm sure a lot depends on the quality of the equipment, but let's say you take two low-end players with no bells and whistles, would there be much difference in the sound from the Blu-ray vs. DVD-A?

No, it shouldn't if you use the HDMI connections, as it has been pointed out the MLP contains the same PCM track as the DTS HD MA and the uncompressed PCM on the BD.

I did ordered the DVD-A version myself, simply because my old but trusty BD player won't pass sound via HDMI unless my TV is on.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #110 of 378 Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

From Richard Chycki's blog.

Quote:

...So I guess the review pre-release copies of Rush's Blu-Ray Moving Pictures 5.1 remix/remaster are making the rounds. It's so exciting to get feedback from people enjoying something that I had so much fun working on. With permission, I'm sharing pieces of a recent email here from a guy that listens to A LOT of 5.1:

First impressions: W-O-W. It's going to be really, really HARD to ever listen to this album only in stereo ever again! THIS is what surround was built for, so to speak Living inside it and loving it! Everyone needs to know how GREAT this 5.1 mix is!

One of my favorite albums of all time is now better than ever. I look forward to listening to it again and again and getting more out of it each time I do Each song has its own individual sense of space It's such a rewarding listening experience.

Mike Mettler - Editor-in-Chief, Sound & Vision Magazine.

post #111 of 378 Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Woo-hoo, glad I found this thread! I'll be at Best Buy for sure on the 5th. Aside from the obvious, I'm really lookin forward to the Bside stuff..synth in Camera Eye, Witch Hunt should sound great. Every now and then I go downstairs and crank up Witch Hunt on the Snakes&Arrows BR at near reference. Alex's guitar just rips through you and when the keyboards come in it just sounds massive. Try it if you haven't!!
post #112 of 378 Old 03-23-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@baniels....

sure... go ahead and torture us some more...

my delivery guy better be on time that day...

- chris

post #113 of 378 Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

@baniels....

sure... go ahead and torture us some more...

my delivery guy better be on time that day...

and there BETTER not be a shipping delay--April 5th is my birthday and I have the week off from work!!

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #114 of 378 Old 03-25-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:

While it is labled CD/DVD under SKU: 2276808 on the Best buy site this morning it looks like by the packaging it is indeed the Blu-ray/CD version 19.99 which would make sense as the item listed under this is the also listed as a DVD/CD but it is a couple bucks less.

Leads me to believe the blu-ray version will indeed be available through Best Buy on April 5th.

If you go to http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Moving+P...&skuId=2276808 and click on the "See Exclusive Info" link, it says:

"Rush Best Buy® Exclusive
This specially packaged CD and Blu-ray combo reissue of the 1981 hit release Moving Pictures includes three music videos.
While supplies last."

When you order it, it says delivery between April 5-12 (free shipping)
This is for SKU 2276808, so I believe you're right.
post #115 of 378 Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 PM

Woohoo! Just received a bestbuy email that it has been shipped. SKU#2276808. Hope it's for sure the Blu-ray. Been looking forward to this.
post #116 of 378 Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

I will be going to best buy next Tuesday morning to get my copy. I cant wait and have already warned the wife of the Tuesday evening listening session at reference level that will be happening!
post #117 of 378 Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 AM

Liked: 12
I just pre-ordered the Blu-Ray from amazon.ca for $18.99.
according to the site:

Moving Pictures (Deluxe CD + Blu-Ray)
Rush (Artist) | Format: Audio CD

This title will be released on April 5, 2011.
post #118 of 378 Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Interesting, thought it was exclusive to Best Buy, but you're right. It's on there to preorder for an Apr5 release. Now, do I go to the local BB that day or wait for Amazon to ship. Looks like the BB (Canada anyways) price is quite a bit more so I think I'll put in for the preorder at Amazon.
post #119 of 378 Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post

I just pre-ordered the Blu-Ray from amazon.ca for $18.99.
according to the site:

Moving Pictures (Deluxe CD + Blu-Ray)
Rush (Artist) | Format: Audio CD

This title will be released on April 5, 2011.

Interesting... I have this pre-ordered with a release of May 5th and went to see if I could find it for 18.99 but it is no where to be found.. Do you have a link showing this price and the date of April 5th?
post #120 of 378 Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Just realized it's the Canadian Amazon
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page