Rush 5.1 re-releases being readied - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looks like Amazon.CA bumped up their price from $18.99 to $34.99 last night for the BD. Not nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bass is better on this one, but they still don't get that a kick drum should really kick.
post #183 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McWilliams View Post
If you listen to the first two lines of Ged's vocal in "Tom Sawyer" on the original stereo mix you hear a LOT of echo. It's much less noticeable on both the 5.1 and stereo mixes after the guitars kick in.
i think that this is going to be one of those things that people either "like" or "dislike", with a sharp division between groups... for me, i like it... but i can certainly understand why others wouldn't...

Quote:
I also gave Moving Pictures another spin today at an "obscenely loud level", and I got curious as to just how loud it was. My trusty old Rat Shack SPL meter hovered right at 90 dB.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #184 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmorehd View Post

Looks like Amazon.CA bumped up their price from $18.99 to $34.99 last night for the BD. Not nice!

What's up with that!? Glad I ordered mine already. Should get it tommorow.
post #185 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

So, what is on each disc? I'd assume the PCM tracks (both 2 and 5.1) are on the CD and the DTS-HD master audio is on the bluray?

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #186 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumps View Post

Having spent numerous hours listening to both good and bad DVD-A's, I can tell you I think this is good, but could have been better...I didn't hear very much bass in this recording; although I did play it at low volume due to my girlfriends parents were in the house at the time; I will definitely re-listen at close to reference levels later on... I guess I'm used to the work that Porcupine Tree does on their surround mixes and was hoping for more "immersion"...

Chris, I think you'll notice a big difference when you listen to this at reference level. I've compared it to several hi-rez discs, including Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, and there's definitely more bass on Moving Pictures. I do see what you mean about the immersive mix Porcupine Tree uses, and I also like that.

As I mentioned earlier, I do wish that the drum kit was louder in this new mix. That Neil Peart guy might have made a name for himself...

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #187 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

So, what is on each disc? I'd assume the PCM tracks (both 2 and 5.1) are on the CD and the DTS-HD master audio is on the bluray?

Both releases have 2 discs, either DVD-A (PCM 2 & 5.1) or Blu-ray (PCM 2 & 5.1 and DTS-HD MA), plus a normal redbook CD.

post #188 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is any of the video material in HD on the BD? If not, I'll likely go for the DVD-A version as I have DVD-A lossless capability but not BD lossless (no BD player with analogue outputs). However, if there is anything HD in video worth having, I'll go with the BD and wait to get the lossless when I upgrade my receiver.
post #189 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

Is any of the video material in HD on the BD?

Nope.

post #190 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. DVD-A for me then (won't have to wait for the lossless goodness).
post #191 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I finally got to listen to the BD of MP's. I do not know what to say? It is definitely Loud! Some of Instrument placement does not agree with me, especially the first 3 tunes. Very strange where Geddy's bass is placed in YYZ??? The mix seems to open up allot more on the final 3 tunes. Is it me or does the. PCM 5.1 sound better than the DTS master audio mix? It just seems like the instruments are to close together most of the time? I do not like how In some of the tune's Alex's rhythm guitar is in the center of the mix. I guess I will give it a few more run throughs before I pass a final judgment.
post #192 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Had a chance to listen to the 5.1 mix - very nice. I'd echo the sentiment that the low bass could be a bit more robust still, but overall very nice. I'd certainly buy more.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #193 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Liked: 14
Picked up the bluray from BB today, and received my DVD-A copy from Amazon too.

The 2ch DVD-A layer experience though my Pioneer DV-58AV analog outs, Little Dot I+ amp, and Grado SR225i headphones is nothing short of phenomenal! The clarity and richness elevate it well past redbook.

I have listened to this album a thousand times and the surround mix is indeed a whole other experience. I am hearing things I like as well as some other things where i am saying hmmmm.

It is going to take some adjustment after years of the stereo version onslaught to my ears, but as with most listens to any new album, repeated listening nearly always irons out any doubts. I am so grateful Rush decided to release these formats! The high rez is just incredible.

Would love Signals, Hemisphere's, and 2112 in high rez!

Moving Pictures?............I wore my vinyl out, my cassette out, blew through many cd's and will now enjoy these new formats for a long time.

I saw the Rush Time Machine Tour at the Red Rocks last summer.....WOW!
post #194 of 378 Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Stilly-

Sounds like you're more familiar with the redbook version of MP than I am. What things in particular did you find interesting with this release? And yeah, hopefully we'll see more Rush releases in the future. Wish I could have seen that Red Rocks show. I've flown out to see a few shows at Red Rocks but sadly not Rush.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #195 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 06:26 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Chris, I think you'll notice a big difference when you listen to this at reference level. I've compared it to several hi-rez discs, including Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, and there's definitely more bass on Moving Pictures. I do see what you mean about the immersive mix Porcupine Tree uses, and I also like that.

As I mentioned earlier, I do wish that the drum kit was louder in this new mix. That Neil Peart guy might have made a name for himself...
Hey Dave,

Yeah, I had to turn the bass level up a bit, but was definitely more impressed on 2nd/3rd listens... In Absentia, IMO, is the weakest DVD-A, bass-wise, from PT. Fear of a Blank Planet and Deadwing have great bass levels, and I had to turn the bass level back down to play FoaBP after MP.

Yeah, Neil's a legend, alright. Just look at the excellent drummers he has influenced. I wish this mix had it as if you were sitting on the drummer's throne, with his fills going from SL around to SR. I can understand the "audience perspective" reason for what they did, however.

Chris
post #196 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah, Neil's a legend, alright. Just look at the excellent drummers he has influenced. I wish this mix had it as if you were sitting on the drummer's throne, with his fills going from SL around to SR. I can understand the "audience perspective" reason for what they did, however.

Chris
now that would be WICKED cool... we need a "secondary" mix like that... i don't think i'd want to listen to it all the time that way, but it would be cool to hear it that way occasionally...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #197 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Is it me or does the. PCM 5.1 sound better than the DTS master audio mix? It just seems like the instruments are to close together most of the time? I do not like how In some of the tune's Alex's rhythm guitar is in the center of the mix. I guess I will give it a few more run throughs before I pass a final judgment.
my guess is that it's you, or there's a level difference with the decoding, as i'd find it unlikely that the dts-ma mix is anything but the pcm mix fed through an encoder... it wouldn't make sense to have 2 completely different mixes...

- chris

post #198 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
DVD-A or BD?
That is the question - I can play both

Steve
post #199 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Finally got my copy from Best Buy in the mail yesterday and gave the BD DTS-HD MA mix a thorough listening.

Very nice!

The bass/LFE of the mix sounds like it has been freed of any filters (high-pass filters) used on the CD and LP mixes, and finally let loose. Lots of good low end.

The clarity of the mix is astounding, of course - all the little details that were muddied up or completely lost in the 2ch CD mix are revealed.

An interesting thing to note in Limelight: the end of the guitar solo when the guitar feedback is looped underneath the arpeggioed "regular" rhythm guitar. On the original LP and CD mix the feedback loop just cuts off, which my guitar teacher pointed out all those years ago and we assumed was just a mistake or laziness during mixdown assuming it would get lost in the mix. In the new mix it fades out properly - nice touch! (I have no idea whether that was fixed in any of the CD remasters from the last go-around, so maybe this is old news.)

So Rush, when are you doing the rest of the backcatalog? Vapor Trails next, please, just so we can get a good mix/master and finally hear the songs, not the loudness.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #200 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

now that would be WICKED cool... we need a "secondary" mix like that... i don't think i'd want to listen to it all the time that way, but it would be cool to hear it that way occasionally...

That's a great idea! There is enough room for extra mixes on Blu ray. This BD comes in at 17.3 GB. Could u imagine if they filled up a 50GB Blu ray with high rez audio!
post #201 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

DVD-A or BD?

greed is good. buy both... besides, i haven't talked you into spending any money lately...

- chris

post #202 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

That's a great idea! There is enough room for extra mixes on Blu ray. This BD comes in at 17.3 GB. Could u imagine if they filled up a 50GB Blu ray with high rez audio!

yea, that would be wicked...

you could have the "audience" mix, then the alternative mixes... i'll call them the "focus" mixes... have 3 other mixes, from the perspective of each of the guys...

but i don't want them to work on that right now... i NEED a farewell to kings done like this...

- chris

post #203 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I wish this mix had it as if you were sitting on the drummer's throne, with his fills going from SL around to SR. I can understand the "audience perspective" reason for what they did, however.
Chris

I love this about Gavin Harrison. He almost always uses this channel arrangement.
post #204 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

DVD-A or BD?

I hear you. I played eanie meanie minie moe at bb and wound up with moe, aka br. This is my first auduo only br, hopefully not my last.

post #205 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Just got my BR copy. Can't wait to get home! Noticed on the back of the package under audio options it lists 'DTS-HD Mater Audio'. Looks like someones in trouble at the print shop. Didn't know 'Mater' got into the decoding business.
post #206 of 378 Old 04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Lots of good low end

Yes, but not much really low end (i.e 25hz and below). Otherwise, sounds really good.

post #207 of 378 Old 04-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Liked: 12
FWIW, I picked up the BD version at Future Shop yesterday. I haven't listened yet, but I did get it.

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #208 of 378 Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck View Post

FWIW, I picked up the BD version at Future Shop yesterday. I haven't listened yet, but I did get it.

Best Buy owns Future Shop.
post #209 of 378 Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

Best Buy owns Future Shop.

Hmm, I did not know that. Makes perfect sense then.

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
post #210 of 378 Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

Yes, but not much really low end (i.e 25hz and below). Otherwise, sounds really good.

Why would you expect anything lower than ~30Hz?

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page