multichannel high quality digital downloads? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I understand that SACD/DVD-A will never have the widespread demand needed to get re-releases of some of the best, rare discs out there, but I am surprised that someone hasn't made digital downloads of multichannel content that is no longer being produced in disc form.

Pretty much every SACD stereo album I want can be purchased via hdtracks, but the multichannel stuff is what I am really wanting. If we can purchase 5.1 soundtracked movies digitally, why have these out of print albums become available, surely it is possible, am I right? I want more in multichannel, but not at over $100, especially because it is going to a reseller and not the artist.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Players for multichannel Flac are even more rare than for Sacd/Dvd-a. For out of print titles your best bet are torrent networks, where most dvd-a and some Sacd can be found. Publishers are not interested in new proceeds from them (otherwise they will continue selling), so obtaining an unofficial copy is a fair option. For new releases look at BD. Here we may see something good.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Players for multichannel Flac are even more rare than for Sacd/Dvd-a.

Hopefully, with the release of the Oppo 93/95 we'll see other players that support multichannel FLAC. Maybe that will also push hdtracks and others to make hi-rez multichannel FLAC's available for download at a reasonable cost, including OOP discs that currently cost a small fortune to acquire, without resorting to torrents and such. I can dream anyway.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just looked at hdtracks web site. Beggars Banquet download for 20 bucks? That seems a little spendy since there is no physical media involved. I think I paid 12.99 for my physical SACD copy.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yeah, but go on eBay at look at any of the OOP (out of print) DVD-A titles. Prices range from $50 up to $350. A download service at $20 would be a bargain.

Marcus

Our Personal Website:

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
Old 06-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
There are several free 24/96 5.1 channel FLAC downloads available at this site:

http://2l.no/

Go to the small dropdown menu at the upper right of the home page and select the "HD test bench files". A user name and password are supplied for you to download both stereo and 5.1 files in high resolution for comparison. There are also some WAV files in high-res, as well as DXD and DSD for the lucky few who have DACs that can handle those formats.

Bruce B., the mastering engineer for the Cheskys at HDTracks, has a technical forum where you may be able to ask about the future of multi-channel downloads from HDTracks:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumd...By-Bruce-Brown

Good luck,

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
itrax.com have a quite a few.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

There are also some WAV files in high-res, as well as DXD and DSD for the lucky few who have DACs that can handle those formats.

No special DAC required. You can download Korg's AudioGate player for free and it handles both DXD and DSD file formats.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post
No special DAC required. You can download Korg's AudioGate player for free and it handles both DXD and DSD file formats.
Korg Audiogate has a few "requirements" that not all users will be willing to accept:

http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/update.html

Also, there is nothing on the site that states compatibility with DXD, which is 24/352.8 for bit depth and sampling rate. I was thinking of the Playback Designs MPS-3 DAC, for instance, when I made the special DAC comment. It handles DSD and DXD, as well as the more typical files. High resolution WAV files need no special handling, unless they are above 24/192 and needing "special" DACs as well. The 2L WAV files are 24/192.

I'll do a bit more research into the actual operation of Audiogate in a "regular" computer environment and post any more info I find.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

The Audiogate software converts DSD into PCM for playback. So, there is an additional stage of conversion in this process, and you still need an external DAC for playback of the PCM file. If you have a music file that is only in the DSD (DSF, as on SACD discs for playback), then at least you could listen to it using this software.

If, as on the 2L website, the music file is available in a format that your equipment can natively handle without an intermediate conversion, all the better.

Lee

Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
Also, there is nothing on the site that states compatibility with DXD, which is 24/352.8 for bit depth and sampling rate.
Mea culpa; I was getting DXD confused with WSD.

The restriction for getting AudioGate is pretty much a non-issue for me as I use it for playback only and not for conversion.

Given the cost and feature set, I find that it's a useful tool to have handy.

In any event, here's the overview:
http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/about.html