sacd two channel sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gimpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a quick question or two about the playing of an sacd stereo only disk. I bought a new sacd today that, apparently is only two channel. Nothing on the case or the liners say either way whether it is two channel or multi channel. But, I assumed it to be stereo when I bought it, and now as I listen to it on my sacd player, it is confirmed. It is stereo only.

My question is: I am playing it on my sacd player, but I also have a Sony bluray dvd player hooked up (both go into my HK 354 avr). I have the sony where I can hook it up via red/white rca cable (stereo only) to the front of the HK. If I play this hybrid sacd on my sony via the front rca hookups, will I be getting the same (?) higher quality signals as I would when I play it on my sacd player? Or am I getting the redbook portion of the disk?

Just for info, the sacd is, "Jazz at Oberlin" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

thx

Frank, "Still the one"
gimpy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 PM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, that would depend on the Sony BD player...

Which one you got?
schan1269 is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 125
A Blu-ray player will only play the CD portion of an SACD.
BIslander is online now  
post #4 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
 
caupina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

I have a quick question or two about the playing of an sacd stereo only disk. I bought a new sacd today that, apparently is only two channel. Nothing on the case or the liners say either way whether it is two channel or multi channel. But, I assumed it to be stereo when I bought it, and now as I listen to it on my sacd player, it is confirmed. It is stereo only.

My question is: I am playing it on my sacd player, but I also have a Sony bluray dvd player hooked up (both go into my HK 354 avr). I have the sony where I can hook it up via red/white rca cable (stereo only) to the front of the HK. If I play this hybrid sacd on my sony via the front rca hookups, will I be getting the same (?) higher quality signals as I would when I play it on my sacd player? Or am I getting the redbook portion of the disk?

Just for info, the sacd is, "Jazz at Oberlin" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

thx

How did you figure it was stereo only???? Did you read the manual or look at the rear panel??? What model did you get???? By the way, unless it's a universal player like the new Oppo or Denon, bluray players don't play the SACD layer
caupina is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 PM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony doesn't make/never has made a Universal player, cause they don't want to support DVD-A.

So, SACD capability is hit 'n miss on ALL Sony DVD/BD players, again...

Which BD player do you have?
schan1269 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Senior Member
 
caupina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
By the way, that particular Dave Brubeck's SACD, is stereo only......if I'm not mistaken.
caupina is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kiwi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:


A Blu-ray player will only play the CD portion of an SACD.



Tell that to my Sony Blu-ray player!

It can either output 176.4 kHz PCM or direct DSD.

5.1 or 2ch
kiwi2 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Member
 
deeppurpleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post



Tell that to my Sony Blu-ray player!

It can either output 176.4 kHz PCM or direct DSD.

5.1 or 2ch

Most current Sony Blu-ray players also support SACD. That's not true of most of the other mainstream manufacturers.
deeppurpleman is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post



Tell that to my Sony Blu-ray player!

It can either output 176.4 kHz PCM or direct DSD.

5.1 or 2ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppurpleman View Post

Most current Sony Blu-ray players also support SACD. That's not true of most of the other mainstream manufacturers.

That's correct. The current line of Sony players support what it calls "universal" playback, which excludes DVD-Audio of course. A player that supports SACD playback will carry an SACD label and the capability will be spelled out in the manual. Personally, I would call such devices Blu-ray/SACD players as opposed to Blu-ray players. But, perhaps that's just me. Apologies for oversimplifying in my previous post.
BIslander is online now  
post #10 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gimpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thx, for all the answers. The Sony is a 2 1/2 year old 350 model. As I type this now, I realise now that it is not sacd, but, I thought just maybe because I use the rca analogue connections on the front of the avr (I think it is for easy access for gaming, maybe? I also use that connection for my tt hookup and, occasionally headphone hookup.

Once I began playing the disk on my sacd (univeral player, Pioneer, I think) I knew it was not multi channel. Nowhere on the packaging/case does it say one way or the other what the bit rate (right words?) is.

I think this Sony does do pcm but I don't know if it outputs it thru the rca connections or not. I have the Sony hooked into my HK via hdmi but if I listen to a regular redbook cd, I will use the two rca cables hooked up to the front of the HK for my listening pleasure, thinking I might be getting a little better sound thru two channel listening, but probably not?

It's all confusing to these old ears.

thx

Frank, "Still the one"
gimpy is online now  
post #11 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
caupina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well this is how it works. If you use the HDMI/digital/coaxial output of your player to connect it to the receiver, it's the receiver that does the decoding, which means the info is transmitted as bits to the receiver. If you connect via analog, then it's the player that decodes, so it comes down to a matter which one has better DAC among other things.
caupina is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 209
SACD cannot be output by any means other than analog or HDMI. SPDIF is not allowed, so the only thing you'll get over SPDIF is CDA layers.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #13 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
The Sony is a 2 1/2 year old 350 model. As I type this now, I realise now that it is not sacd, but, I thought just maybe because I use the rca analogue connections on the front of the avr..
The S350 will play the CD layer of the disc and do the digital-analog conversion for analog stereo output. That's the same thing that happens when you play a CD and use the analog output.

Quote:
I think this Sony does do pcm but I don't know if it outputs it thru the rca connections or not.
PCM is a digital format. So, no, the S350 does not output PCM over the analog connections. It converts the PCM to analog and that's what gets output.

Quote:
I have the Sony hooked into my HK via hdmi but if I listen to a regular redbook cd, I will use the two rca cables hooked up to the front of the HK for my listening pleasure, thinking I might be getting a little better sound thru two channel listening, but probably not?
Probably not. Unless you apply a Direct listening mode, your receiver is going to redigitize the analog input anyway. Most receivers have better processing tools than most players. So, a digital connection is generally recommended.
BIslander is online now  
post #14 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Member
 
caupina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
SACD cannot be output by any means other than analog or HDMI. SPDIF is not allowed, so the only thing you'll get over SPDIF is CDA layers.
Good observation....HDMI 1.2 and up or via i.link connection such as Denon Link.
caupina is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilian.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ex-50Hz, now 60Hz
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My Sony S-770 outputs stereo SACD via SPDIF - tested myself with a non-hybrid SACD and confirmed by others, including S-570 users - albeit at 16/44.1. Not what you'd want to get but keep in mind that past Denon players including top models output only 16/44.1 via HDMI. If you don't consider that valid SACD output you might just as well say those Denons don't output SACD via HDMI.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Kilian.ca is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,420
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

My Sony S-770 outputs stereo SACD via SPDIF - tested myself with a non-hybrid SACD and confirmed by others, including S-570 users - albeit at 16/44.1. Not what you'd want to get but keep in mind that past Denon players including top models output only 16/44.1 via HDMI. If you don't consider that valid SACD output you might just as well say those Denons don't output SACD via HDMI.

I would. That's why I decline to review such products.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #17 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

...albeit at 16/44.1...

That's a PCM output, of course. I gather your S770 processes DSD and converts it to PCM for output over S/PDIF. It requires HDMI to output DSD.
BIslander is online now  
post #18 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilian.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ex-50Hz, now 60Hz
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I would. That's why I decline to review such products.

Good of you to put pressure on Denon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

That's a PCM output, of course. I gather your S770 processes DSD and converts it to PCM for output over S/PDIF. It requires HDMI to output DSD.

Yes, all clear now to everybody; didn't think anyone was thinking of DSD via SPDIF. My comments were really in reaction to often repeated blanket statements like:
Quote:


SACD cannot be output by any means other than analog or HDMI. SPDIF is not allowed...


Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Kilian.ca is offline  
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off