sacd two channel sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a quick question or two about the playing of an sacd stereo only disk. I bought a new sacd today that, apparently is only two channel. Nothing on the case or the liners say either way whether it is two channel or multi channel. But, I assumed it to be stereo when I bought it, and now as I listen to it on my sacd player, it is confirmed. It is stereo only.

My question is: I am playing it on my sacd player, but I also have a Sony bluray dvd player hooked up (both go into my HK 354 avr). I have the sony where I can hook it up via red/white rca cable (stereo only) to the front of the HK. If I play this hybrid sacd on my sony via the front rca hookups, will I be getting the same (?) higher quality signals as I would when I play it on my sacd player? Or am I getting the redbook portion of the disk?

Just for info, the sacd is, "Jazz at Oberlin" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

thx

Frank, "Still the one"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, that would depend on the Sony BD player...

Which one you got?
post #3 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 125
A Blu-ray player will only play the CD portion of an SACD.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

I have a quick question or two about the playing of an sacd stereo only disk. I bought a new sacd today that, apparently is only two channel. Nothing on the case or the liners say either way whether it is two channel or multi channel. But, I assumed it to be stereo when I bought it, and now as I listen to it on my sacd player, it is confirmed. It is stereo only.

My question is: I am playing it on my sacd player, but I also have a Sony bluray dvd player hooked up (both go into my HK 354 avr). I have the sony where I can hook it up via red/white rca cable (stereo only) to the front of the HK. If I play this hybrid sacd on my sony via the front rca hookups, will I be getting the same (?) higher quality signals as I would when I play it on my sacd player? Or am I getting the redbook portion of the disk?

Just for info, the sacd is, "Jazz at Oberlin" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

thx

How did you figure it was stereo only???? Did you read the manual or look at the rear panel??? What model did you get???? By the way, unless it's a universal player like the new Oppo or Denon, bluray players don't play the SACD layer
post #5 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 PM

Sony doesn't make/never has made a Universal player, cause they don't want to support DVD-A.

So, SACD capability is hit 'n miss on ALL Sony DVD/BD players, again...

Which BD player do you have?
post #6 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 PM

By the way, that particular Dave Brubeck's SACD, is stereo only......if I'm not mistaken.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

A Blu-ray player will only play the CD portion of an SACD.

Tell that to my Sony Blu-ray player!

It can either output 176.4 kHz PCM or direct DSD.

5.1 or 2ch
post #8 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

5.1 or 2ch

Most current Sony Blu-ray players also support SACD. That's not true of most of the other mainstream manufacturers.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

5.1 or 2ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppurpleman View Post

Most current Sony Blu-ray players also support SACD. That's not true of most of the other mainstream manufacturers.

That's correct. The current line of Sony players support what it calls "universal" playback, which excludes DVD-Audio of course. A player that supports SACD playback will carry an SACD label and the capability will be spelled out in the manual. Personally, I would call such devices Blu-ray/SACD players as opposed to Blu-ray players. But, perhaps that's just me. Apologies for oversimplifying in my previous post.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
thx, for all the answers. The Sony is a 2 1/2 year old 350 model. As I type this now, I realise now that it is not sacd, but, I thought just maybe because I use the rca analogue connections on the front of the avr (I think it is for easy access for gaming, maybe? I also use that connection for my tt hookup and, occasionally headphone hookup.

Once I began playing the disk on my sacd (univeral player, Pioneer, I think) I knew it was not multi channel. Nowhere on the packaging/case does it say one way or the other what the bit rate (right words?) is.

I think this Sony does do pcm but I don't know if it outputs it thru the rca connections or not. I have the Sony hooked into my HK via hdmi but if I listen to a regular redbook cd, I will use the two rca cables hooked up to the front of the HK for my listening pleasure, thinking I might be getting a little better sound thru two channel listening, but probably not?

It's all confusing to these old ears.

thx

Frank, "Still the one"
post #11 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM

Well this is how it works. If you use the HDMI/digital/coaxial output of your player to connect it to the receiver, it's the receiver that does the decoding, which means the info is transmitted as bits to the receiver. If you connect via analog, then it's the player that decodes, so it comes down to a matter which one has better DAC among other things.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 209
SACD cannot be output by any means other than analog or HDMI. SPDIF is not allowed, so the only thing you'll get over SPDIF is CDA layers.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
The Sony is a 2 1/2 year old 350 model. As I type this now, I realise now that it is not sacd, but, I thought just maybe because I use the rca analogue connections on the front of the avr..
The S350 will play the CD layer of the disc and do the digital-analog conversion for analog stereo output. That's the same thing that happens when you play a CD and use the analog output.

Quote:
I think this Sony does do pcm but I don't know if it outputs it thru the rca connections or not.
PCM is a digital format. So, no, the S350 does not output PCM over the analog connections. It converts the PCM to analog and that's what gets output.

Quote:
I have the Sony hooked into my HK via hdmi but if I listen to a regular redbook cd, I will use the two rca cables hooked up to the front of the HK for my listening pleasure, thinking I might be getting a little better sound thru two channel listening, but probably not?
Probably not. Unless you apply a Direct listening mode, your receiver is going to redigitize the analog input anyway. Most receivers have better processing tools than most players. So, a digital connection is generally recommended.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
SACD cannot be output by any means other than analog or HDMI. SPDIF is not allowed, so the only thing you'll get over SPDIF is CDA layers.
Good observation....HDMI 1.2 and up or via i.link connection such as Denon Link.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
My Sony S-770 outputs stereo SACD via SPDIF - tested myself with a non-hybrid SACD and confirmed by others, including S-570 users - albeit at 16/44.1. Not what you'd want to get but keep in mind that past Denon players including top models output only 16/44.1 via HDMI. If you don't consider that valid SACD output you might just as well say those Denons don't output SACD via HDMI.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #16 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

My Sony S-770 outputs stereo SACD via SPDIF - tested myself with a non-hybrid SACD and confirmed by others, including S-570 users - albeit at 16/44.1. Not what you'd want to get but keep in mind that past Denon players including top models output only 16/44.1 via HDMI. If you don't consider that valid SACD output you might just as well say those Denons don't output SACD via HDMI.

I would. That's why I decline to review such products.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #17 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

...albeit at 16/44.1...

That's a PCM output, of course. I gather your S770 processes DSD and converts it to PCM for output over S/PDIF. It requires HDMI to output DSD.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I would. That's why I decline to review such products.

Good of you to put pressure on Denon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

That's a PCM output, of course. I gather your S770 processes DSD and converts it to PCM for output over S/PDIF. It requires HDMI to output DSD.

Yes, all clear now to everybody; didn't think anyone was thinking of DSD via SPDIF. My comments were really in reaction to often repeated blanket statements like:
Quote:

SACD cannot be output by any means other than analog or HDMI. SPDIF is not allowed...

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page