SACD Player Selection HELP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 471
OK, so I want to get into MULTI CHANNEL SACD...I need to help picking out a player, please.

My receiver is Denon AVR-3311CI 7.2-Channel Network Home Theater Receiver

I'd like HDMI capabilty don't really need another Blu ray player, but, I'm open if that's the best way to go...

thank in advance

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Either one of the Sony BR/SACD players or the Oppo BDP-93. The new Denon universals look good (I have not used them) but the older ones downsample SACD output over HDMI.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Depending on how good you think your current system is, you could go with the new Oppo 95. From all reviews I've read the 95 has a premo analogue audio stage for CD, LP playback, as well as being good for all MCM choices.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If you JUST need an SACD/DVD-A player, I woudn't overlook an older Oppo dvd/universal player.

I used my 981 HD for nearly 4 years. It lacks bass management for the analog outs (I used an ICBM), but if you're going to send it to your receiver with HDMI, that doesn't matter anyway.

I would never go back to it from my BDP-93 - but I don't have another BR player and I can't live without its network streaming feature now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

OK, so I want to get into MULTI CHANNEL SACD...I need to help picking out a player, please.

My receiver is Denon AVR-3311CI 7.2-Channel Network Home Theater Receiver

I'd like HDMI capabilty don't really need another Blu ray player, but, I'm open if that's the best way to go...

thank in advance

With this AVR, all you need is an HDMI digital transport. I'd suggest either a used Oppo DV-980H or BDP-80. Either will send DSD direct to the AVR from SACD or convert to PCM at 24/88. Oppo will support used players and repair them for about $60 out of warranty for the foreseeable future.

If you want to get into more of the high-res media file playback areas, the Oppo BDP-93 is the best option. Since you have a AVR that's fully ready for 3D and HDMI-1.4, I'd suggest selling your current BD player and getting the BDP-93. It's just too good a player to pass up.

Also note that recently Oppo has had a few refurbished BDP-80 players available for $245. Currently out of stock but that could change.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
One of the Sony x70 or x80 BDPs, for about $100, can send DSD or PCM 176.4kHz over HDMI. Simply the best value for MCH SACD HDMI output. If you believe digital is digital, this will do.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 471
added Sony BDP-S580 to my wishlist

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #8 of 11 Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

added Sony BDP-S580 to my wishlist

I have the Sony BDP-s380, and it is not a great audio source. Just last night, I did extensive comparisons between Apple lossless audio files and CDs on the s380. The Apple lossless are sitting on a PC on my network, transported through Apple TV via HDMI to my AVR. In every case, the lossless file offered more detail than the Sony playing the same track on CD. Haven't tried SACD yet (have some discs on order). Lot's of complaints about the usability of the network services too, but I don't use them.

With that being said, it's a great price for a universal player that does support SACD as long as you're not looking for audiophile source and don't rely too heavily on the network services.

Note: I'm assuming the s580 has the same electronics, just adds 3D and Wifi.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have an Oppo-83 on sale at amazon.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2011, 03:33 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcms6

I have the Sony BDP-s380, and it is not a great audio source. Just last night, I did extensive comparisons between Apple lossless audio files and CDs on the s380. The Apple lossless are sitting on a PC on my network, transported through Apple TV via HDMI to my AVR. In every case, the lossless file offered more detail than the Sony playing the same track on CD. Haven't tried SACD yet (have some discs on order). Lot's of complaints about the usability of the network services too, but I don't use them.v

With that being said, it's a great price for a universal player that does support SACD as long as you're not looking for audiophile source and don't rely too heavily on the network services.

Note: I'm assuming the s580 has the same electronics, just adds 3D and Wifi.
Did you use HDMI or SPDIF for Sony? Make sure it is transparent. You can try fto play DTS CD toake sure.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Did you use HDMI or SPDIF for Sony? Make sure it is transparent. You can try fto play DTS CD toake sure.
HDMI. Not sure that I know what you mean by transparent? Audio HDMI is set to Auto. DRC... will double check to make sure it's off.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page