Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 439 Old 03-28-2012, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

If you can't hear any difference or any improvement over your CDs, fine - but I suspect you will.

Any audible difference would likely be caused by differences in mastering and not by the delivery format.

Quote:

Otherwise, there'd be no point in buying DVD-A or SACD reissues of albums made before digital recording became common around 1980.

The point with reissues is that you can remaster the material and fix problems (or create new ones) with earlier issues. Sometimes the reissue will sound worse than earlier issues and sometimes it will sound better.
It's all about the quality of the mastering and it makes little to no difference (as long as it's a mono or stereo recording) if the material is released on DVD-A, SACD or CD, regardless of when or how it was originally recorded.

Here's some more info:
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 439 Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Lundberg View Post

Any audible difference would likely be caused by differences in mastering and not by the delivery format.

Here's some more info:
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

^^^^^^ This may stir the pot.

Very interesting/educational article. Fully concur with mastering having a much greater impact over a particular and acceptable delivery container (flac, cd, dvd-a, sacd).

I have to admit, I'm in the "It just sounds better" crowd...comparing same mastering (not title), found on many hybrid SACDs (i.e. MFSL). Not subtantiated by a correctly performed ABX test...just my biased perception. My brain may be overriding what my ears hear, but the article won't keep me from buying or enjoying my "well mastered" Hi-Res stuff, even in 2CH.

The combo between my ears, my brain, my system, hi-res discs/flacs in my room works for my enjoyment ...I do have some 16/44 redbooks that sound much better than some SACD/DVD-A too.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #303 of 439 Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
This was why I bought the 96/24 and 192/24 versions of the same track: to see if I could hear any difference. If not, I would buy the less-expensive 96/24 version, and could use standard DVD-Video disks, which are easier to master and work in any DVD player.

It was with some chagrin that I found the difference between those two versions to be clear.

This was not the first track I tried this experiment with - the first was with a contemporary digital recording of the classic jazz standard "Black Coffee" by singer Louise Rogers, accompanied only by an acoustic guitarist. The difference there was even more pronouced than with the Bill Evans track: the 96/24 sounded like a really great recording, while the 192/24 sounded like hearing the musicians playing live.

The Evans test was a "stress test": would there even be anything on an old analog recording to enable me to hear the difference?

Physicists may opine all they like, but the difference was there - to the point that when the 96/24 version started to play, my fiancee - not an audiophile - asked me to please let her listen to "the good version" again instead.

PS No, I didn't do a computer-driven ABX test - but that would put me at the mercy of my computer's sound card. The whole point of making disks is to get the advantage of my Denon's electronics. I did the next-best thing: I alternated versions on a disk a few times to see if I heard a difference when jumping back and forth with the remote.

If there was no audible difference, that would have been clear. But there was.

post #304 of 439 Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I have to admit, I'm in the "It just sounds better" crowd...comparing same mastering (not title), found on many hybrid SACDs (i.e. MFSL).

The problem is that you don't know if the mastering is identical. Even a slight difference in level is enough to make a comparison problematic.

Quote:
My brain may be overriding what my ears hear, but the article won't keep me from buying or enjoying my "well mastered" Hi-Res stuff, even in 2CH.

And there's nothing wrong with that because you're more likely to find well mastered recordings among the "Hi-Res" releases since they're usually produced with audiophiles in mind.
The point was that the key to good sound is in the mastering and not in the format.
post #305 of 439 Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

With respect to the tracks I used for comparison, they came from the same source - HDTracks - and, at least with respect to the Bill Evans track, the description was such that the two tracks would appear to have done the same way, just run at different sample rates. No clear reason why that wouldn't apply to the Louise Robbins, which was a new recording - and the level seemed the same on each pair of tracks.

post #306 of 439 Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:

The Evans test was a "stress test": would there even be anything on an old analog recording to enable me to hear the difference?

I downloaded the tracks in question and found (from the spectrum plot) that, as far is I can tell, there is no real difference between the versions except for some faint distortion at ~50kHz in the 192kHz file. There is no significant content (except for what I suspect to be the tape BIAS signal at ~29kHz) above 20kHz in any of the versions:

192kHz

96kHz

Quote:

If there was no audible difference, that would have been clear. But there was.

I don't doubt that you experienced a difference, the question is why you experienced it.
There are many possible explanations, like: placebo (you need to do a proper ABX-test to rule it out), problems in your playback equipment (the Denon player may not handle all sample rates properly), problems caused by the software used to burn the DVD or maybe there really are differences in the mastering.

You can't draw any conclusions in this specific case yet.
post #307 of 439 Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Those two plots don't look the same to me. The 96k plot looks fatter vertically almost across the board, while the 192k plot looks more sharply-defined.

That vertical spread could well correlate with the "impulse current" injected into the signal by sharp Nyquist filtering.

A few months ago, I found an excellent five page article published 15 years ago, in September 1997 - attached - theorizing why 96/24 sounds better than CD's 44/16 even though the Nyquist rule says that a 44khz sampling rate should pass frequencies up to 22kHz.

It turns out that the sharp roll-off used to remove audio above 22kHz (or even 24kHz) has the nasty side-effect of injecting high-frequency ringing energy into the signal (it has to go somewhere) which has a wide temporal spread of about a millisecond.

His theory is that has the effect of interfering with and thus "temporally smearing" the high frequencies whose arrival times we use for the imaging of sound sources. (It also may make the signal more tiring to listen to - my additional inference.) At 96/24 the ringing energy's temporal spread is about 100 microseconds - only a tenth as wide, and at 192/24 it's half of that: 50 microseconds.

I have a theory that some of the problems with lower bit rates could be avoided somewhat by sampling at a high rate like 96 or 192 and then downsampling. This would side-step the ringing current issue at lower bit rates by doing the Nyquist filtering up high and then - in the digital domain - downsampling. On this theory, the 96k Evans track would have sounded better by starting with the 192k sample.

I mentioned this idea to a friend who is knowledgable about digital audio who replied that recording studios standardized on 96/24 quite a while ago - so I may be reinventing the wheel here, but this may account for why modern CDs sound better than first generation CDs that were recorded using a sample rate of 44/16 in the first place.

PS - You didn't mention whether you heard any difference between the two versions.

Why high bit-rate sampling sounds better.pdf 288.904296875k . file

post #308 of 439 Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Those two plots don't look the same to me. The 96k plot looks fatter vertically almost across the board, while the 192k plot looks more sharply-defined.
That vertical spread could well correlate with the "impulse current" injected into the signal by sharp Nyquist filtering.

Err... no it's because the scale is slightly different. The 96kS/s plot goes to ~47kHz and the 192kS/s plot goes to ~95kHz (and the scale is, of course, logarithmic).
It has nothing to do with filtering.

Quote:

It turns out that the sharp roll-off used to remove audio above 22kHz (or even 24kHz) has the nasty side-effect of injecting high-frequency ringing energy into the signal (it has to go somewhere) which has a wide temporal spread of about a millisecond.

That depends on the type and quality of the filter and its implementation. With properly designed hardware/software there is no audible ringing when running at 44.1 or 48kS/s.

There are, of course, poorly designed/implemented filters on the market and they can cause audible problems (including those that are much worse than ringing).
In that case they may work slightly better at higher sample rates, but there is no reason to use them in the first place.
The fact that some designers are incompetent isn't much of an argument for higher sample rates.

There is also no evidence that ringing is a major reason (though it may be in some isolated cases) behind perceived audible differences between sample rates.

Quote:

I have a theory that some of the problems with lower bit rates could be avoided somewhat by sampling at a high rate like 96 or 192 and then downsampling. This would side-step the ringing current issue at lower bit rates by doing the Nyquist filtering up high and then - in the digital domain - downsampling.

Almost every converter on the market for the past 20+ years has used delta/sigma (or similar) modulation and operate at MHz-speeds. There are no modern A/D-converters that sample the signal at 96 or 192kS/s.
Running at MHz-speeds means you can use an extremely gentle analog filter and do the critical filtering (and decimation to the desired output sample rate) in the digital domain.

You could say that a superior version of the solution you propose has been standard practice for more than two decades.

And here's a good introduction to digital filters:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~volt42/c...ng/Filters.pdf

Quote:

PS - You didn't mention whether you heard any difference between the two versions.

The DAC i have connected to my computer at the moment doesn't support 192kHz, but I'll try to listen to them the next time I bring home an audio interface that supports it.
post #309 of 439 Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Lundberg View Post

. . .
Almost every converter on the market for the past 20+ years has used delta/sigma (or similar) modulation and operate at MHz-speeds. There are no modern A/D-converters that sample the signal at 96 or 192kS/s.
Running at MHz-speeds means you can use an extremely gentle analog filter and do the critical filtering (and decimation to the desired output sample rate) in the digital domain.

You could say that a superior version of the solution you propose has been standard practice for more than two decades.

. . .

The DAC i have connected to my computer at the moment doesn't support 192kHz, but I'll try to listen to them the next time I bring home an audio interface that supports it.

I thought that differential Megaherz sampling was a DSD/SACD specialty. This is the first time I've heard it said that all modern sampling is done that way. Are you saying that all PCM starts out as DSD?

There's just one thing that confuses me [striking best Colombo pose]: if the DAC connected to your computer doesn't support 192kHz, what was feeding that signal to the spectrum analyzer?

post #310 of 439 Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:

I thought that differential Megaherz sampling was a DSD/SACD specialty. This is the first time I've heard it said that all modern sampling is done that way. Are you saying that all PCM starts out as DSD?

DSD is actually based on the first generation of delta/sigma A/D-converters. They used 1 bit and ran at a speed of 64x (resulting in 2.8224MHz of you use a base rate of 44.1kHz), which is why DSD is 1bit/2.8224MHz.
It is basically the modulator signal (the signal before the digital decimation filter) of that type of converter.

The original purpose of DSD was as an archival format that could be converted to any of the standard PCM-formats. It was never intended as a playback format and that caused quite a few problem when Sony later turned it into one (SACD).
Basing a format on the technology available at the time makes it hard to keep it in line with future developments.

1bit/64x delta/sigma was abandoned by the industry for higher rates and eventually more bits (the first multi-bit delta/sigma converter was released in 1999) as well.
Today the converters run at speeds of at least 5-6MHz and use at least 3 bit quantization.

So PCM doesn't start out as DSD (unless you use one of those old 1bit/64x A/D-converters), but DSD (which is actually a form a PCM) is based on an early implementation of the technology used in most modern converters.

Quote:

There's just one thing that confuses me [striking best Colombo pose]: if the DAC connected to your computer doesn't support 192kHz, what was feeding that signal to the spectrum analyzer?

The signal never left my computer so no DAC was involved at all. I used an audio editor called iZotope and it supports 192kHz (I think it supports sample rates up to 384kHz).
post #311 of 439 Old 03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

If I want to use my PC to sample an old analog tape to disk, I go through the line input of its Sigma Tel audio circuitry on the motherboard - with its "HD" driver, which I've read on the net is a 192/24 driver - or I could use my laptop's plug-in Echo Indigo io PC card, which is rated, at Echo's site, at 96/24.

Audacity can be set to record at up to 192/24.

Are all of those really sampling at megahertz speed and then downshifting to kilohertz speed, or are you only talking about professional recording studio equipment?

post #312 of 439 Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Guys if you don't mind can we steer the discussion back towards the SQ and reviews of SACD/DVD-As. Thanks.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #313 of 439 Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Artist/Title Info: Cannonball Adderley - Know What I Mean?

Format: Hybrid - Stereo SACD

Genre: Jazz

Label: Analogue Productions APJ 9433

I listened to this SACD today and just had to get the word out about this outstanding SACD. I have become quite a fan of Bill Evans and when I saw this SACD used awhile back I thought it would be a good listen. Well I was right as it is an excellent title not only in overall SQ but the musical content is outstanding IMO. The interaction between Cannonball Adderley and Bill Evans is just incredible. Their playing just flows as they play off each other. To me the song Elsa alone is worth the price of this SACD. The play of Percy Heath (bass) and Connie Kay (drums) is also very good. I found the SQ to be excellent with a broad and deep soundstage. I highly recommend this SACD even if you are just starting to explore jazz music.

1. Waltz for Debbie
2. Goodbye
3. Who Cares? (take 5)
4. Venice
5. Toy
6. Elsa
7. Nancy (With the Laughing Face)
8. Know What I Mean? (re-take 7)
9. Who Cares? (take 4)
10. Know What I Mean? (take 2)

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/397

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 9.5 SQ - 9.0

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Boston Acoustics A7200 (Sherwood A-965 clone)
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #314 of 439 Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Artist/Title Info: Cannonball Adderley - Know What I Mean?

Format: Hybrid - Stereo SACD

Genre: Jazz

Label: Analogue Productions APJ 9433

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the review and getting back on topic...Cannonball's - Somethin' Else is excellent as well (with Miles Davis). You loose the Bill Evan's connection, but it's a classic and AQ is excellent as well.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #315 of 439 Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Bill,

Thanks for the review and getting back on topic...Cannonball's - Somethin' Else is excellent as well (with Miles Davis). You loose the Bill Evan's connection, but it's a classic and AQ is excellent as well.

Martin,

My pleasure. I have Somethin' Else on HDAD and it is a great sounding album. I bought it on ebay and thought I was bidding on the SACD not the HDAD. But the SQ is great and the lineup is incredible. Thanks for mentioning it as I'll have to give it a spin as soon as I get the chance.

Bill

post #316 of 439 Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I had a chance to listen to the Somethin' Else HDAD this morning. It is an excellent sounding album. The only negative I found was that it would have been better to have Miles Davis in one channel and Cannonbal Adderley in the other. They are both playing from the left channel and when they are playing together it seems kind of congested. But I'm sure this is the way the session was recorded. But beside this minor gripe I found the SQ and the music content of this album to be very good.

Bill

post #317 of 439 Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Owning this DVD-A is a real treat and also has something the SACD doesn't offer.
The SACD lacks the *stunning* DVD-A bonus track surround mix of 'Lucky Man'

+1. I have been reading this thread and why nobody had mentioned this fantastic ELP release. Perhaps because they are a band that people love to hate?

Call me an ELP fan from way back and a unabashed one at that, but this particular DVD-A occupies a special place in my collection and it's one I will spin up to show friends MCH audio, together with Hotel California and the bootleg (?) DSOTM that Parson's allegedly mixed.
post #318 of 439 Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

+1. I have been reading this thread and why nobody had mentioned this fantastic ELP release. Perhaps because they are a band that people love to hate?

Call me an ELP fan from way back and a unabashed one at that, but this particular DVD-A occupies a special place in my collection and it's one I will spin up to show friends MCH audio, together with Hotel California and the bootleg (?) DSOTM that Parson's allegedly mixed.

This is also one of my favorite DVD-A's as well.
The sound quality is nothing short of exceptional.
I'm sure this is one of the reasons why this disc is highly sought after and commands rather steep prices.
I have the SACD as well but I'm pretty sure I will be going back to the DVD-A when it comes to listening time.
post #319 of 439 Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Another DVD-A I like for SQ anyway is Britney Spears In the Zone.

Actually I don't know what goes through the minds of record executives when they choose discs for DVD-A or SACD since from the surface one would not expect the Britney Spears fans (when that album was released) to be audiofiles.

I bought it sight (ear) unseen as a blind (deaf) buy and was quite impressed with the audio mix swirling around the speakers. I had only heard a few Britney Spear's songs before including her most famous but idly curious what a modern pop singer would sound like in lossless audio 5.1 surround.

It must be a collector's item now since I see it's available on Amazon for $178!
post #320 of 439 Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I cannot help but notice a distinct lack of reviews and/or comments of music specifically written for a multi-channel format such as SACD.

May I direct your attention to:

For those of you unfamiliar with Berlioz' Grande Messe des Morts aka Requiem, it was written for a very large orchestra, huge choir, 16 tympani, and 4 separate brass choirs distributed around the hall at the four points of the compass. If any work (this one was written in 1837) by any composer was designed to take advantage of our modern technology, this is it.

Hector Berlioz: Requiem

Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart des SWR
SWR Vokalensemble Stuttgart
MDR Rundfunkchor Leipzig
Toby Spence, Tenor
Roger Norrington, conductor

hänssler Classic 93.131 (2006)

Any of you who may be familiar with the first well known recording of this work, that by Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, originally released on RCA Soria and last released as a Living Stereo 3-channel SACD, will notice that Sir Roger has taken a somewhat different approach to tempos and phrasing. Norrington has long prided himself on being historically accurate in both his conducting and in the instrumentation of his orchestras. I doubt that he has changed course for this work. Which is certainly not all bad.

Berlioz himself stated that if only one work of his were to survive, a desert island piece as it were, this would be his choice. And for good reason. It is a choral work first and foremost. But the colorful, audacious writing for the orchestra is almost Mahlerian in his use of the instruments. And when the trumpets call in the Tuba Mirum you'd better be strapped in as the brass sound their demonic calls from everywhere in the room. Likewise the Lachrymosa has the brass resounding once again.

Most of the work is relatively low key, as one would expect from a Requiem. But it's Berlioz genius that turns even the quietest moments into spectacular visions. The piccolo - trombone duets, the fading, cascading Amens at the end.

This a work to be cherished. The 5.1 SACD goes way beyond what I ever expected. I hope you get to experience it.

Needless to say the sound quality is IMHO flawless throughout.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #321 of 439 Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

I am far from a big fan of Norrington's work which, typically, seems to be all wrong although for the right reasons. However, I think it is an excellent recording of the work.
Let me also suggest a great recording of it:

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #322 of 439 Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

Another DVD-A I like for SQ anyway is Britney Spears In the Zone....with the audio mix swirling around the speakers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

...May I direct your attention to:
...Berlioz' Grande Messe des Morts aka Requiem, it was written for a very large orchestra, huge choir, 16 tympani, and 4 separate brass choirs distributed around the hall at the four points of the compass...

Hmmm....Brittany or Berlioz? Berlioz or Brittany? Which one of these two discs should I order this week? Guys, some help please.....

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #323 of 439 Old 04-30-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Hmmm....Brittany or Berlioz? Berlioz or Brittany? Which one of these two discs should I order this week? Guys, some help please.....

I don't have that problem as I own those and other versions of the Berlioz.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #324 of 439 Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Tough question. I have friends that wouldn't last through 5 minutes of the Requiem. Yet they continue to buy music they won't ever listen to in 3 or 4 years. I've been enjoying the Requiem for 45 years now. It's that good. Hits a spot in my cerebral cortex - goosebump central.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #325 of 439 Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM

My take on ...

Era: The Very Best Of Era

This will be a tough SACD to find but SACD.net offers a few links to foreign distributors. I was delightfully surprised to listen to the multichannel surround version of this 2004 recording. The CD is generally available but I really think this album flexes its muscle in multichannel surround.

It is a "fusion" album of sorts. There's plenty here including male and female chorus, female lead singer, full orchestration, techno beat, rock rhythm, classical, soundtrack style, and deep bass. All speakers are used to their full extent and your room is enveloped in sound.

The disc was produced exceptionally well. Check SACD.net for the details. The sonics are superb and it is evenly mixed.

Marcus

Our Personal Website with movie and music catalog pages.

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
post #326 of 439 Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread seems to have gone into hibernation. I think it's time to wake it up!

I had to recalibrate my 5.1 speaker levels and distance setting a few nights ago - which I've taken to doing "by ear" as I don't like the results metering gives me - after which I put the DVD-A of Gaucho, Steely Dan's first digitally-recorded album, into my recently-acquired Oppo BDP-93, and played it at a healthy volume.

Wow!

To paraphrase the final cut in that album: "Phil's playroom is a bunker full of sound!"

(But I'm not a 3D man!)

post #327 of 439 Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

This thread seems to have gone into hibernation. I think it's time to wake it up!
I had to recalibrate my 5.1 speaker levels and distance setting a few nights ago - which I've taken to doing "by ear" as I don't like the results metering gives me - after which I put the DVD-A of Gaucho, Steely Dan's first digitally-recorded album, into my recently-acquired Oppo BDP-93, and played it at a healthy volume.
Wow!
To paraphrase the final cut in that album: "Phil's playroom is a bunker full of sound!"
(But I'm not a 3D man!)

Yes this thread has been quiet for awhile. Maybe I'll stop being so lazy and post some reviews. Everyone else feel free to jump in with thoughts on your favorite and not so favorite SACD/DVD-As smile.gif.

Bill

post #328 of 439 Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Yes this thread has been quiet for awhile. Maybe I'll stop being so lazy and post some reviews. Everyone else feel free to jump in with thoughts on your favorite and not so favorite SACD/DVD-As smile.gif.
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Wow!
(But I'm not a 3D man!)

Hi there, friends.

As my own contribution to the "reawakening" of this thread, I just wanted to chime in with a little bit of info for the old-school prog enthusiast: the Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix of King Crimson's Lark's Tongues in Aspic will be officially released on October 22nd in a CD/DVD-A package. There's even a deluxe edition with 15 discs (!) eek.gif which includes the album in CD, DVD-A and BD (with DTS-MA and LPCM 24/96 audio tracks), as well as 12 more CDs with live concerts from the era. The package is limited to 7.000 copies.

It being my favorite KC album, I'm absolutely looking forward to it, and given Wilson's mixing resume, I'm sure this is bound to be another astounding surround reissue. I'll be happy to report my impressions when I receive my copy. Too bad I could only dust the wallet long enough to get the "simple" CD/DVD-A edition.

By the way, although it is not SACD nor DVD-A, I absolutely recommend Wilson's own live BD Get All You Deserve, which should at least be cursorily checked out by any audiophile or music enthusiast, not only prog-heads, as it is a masterpiece of great music, great sound and great visuals.

Take care!

Abel
post #329 of 439 Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel Calvo View Post

Hi there, friends.
As my own contribution to the "reawakening" of this thread, I just wanted to chime in with a little bit of info for the old-school prog enthusiast: the Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix of King Crimson's Lark's Tongues in Aspic will be officially released on October 22nd in a CD/DVD-A package. There's even a deluxe edition with 15 discs (!) eek.gif which includes the album in CD, DVD-A and BD (with DTS-MA and LPCM 24/96 audio tracks), as well as 12 more CDs with live concerts from the era. The package is limited to 7.000 copies.
It being my favorite KC album, I'm absolutely looking forward to it, and given Wilson's mixing resume, I'm sure this is bound to be another astounding surround reissue. I'll be happy to report my impressions when I receive my copy. Too bad I could only dust the wallet long enough to get the "simple" CD/DVD-A edition.
By the way, although it is not SACD nor DVD-A, I absolutely recommend Wilson's own live BD Get All You Deserve, which should at least be cursorily checked out by any audiophile or music enthusiast, not only prog-heads, as it is a masterpiece of great music, great sound and great visuals.
Take care!
Abel

Abel,

Welcome to the thread and thanks for your thoughts smile.gif. I should ask the Mods if they can change the thread title to include Bluray audio as well.

Bill

post #330 of 439 Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Abel,
Welcome to the thread and thanks for your thoughts smile.gif. I should ask the Mods if they can change the thread title to include Bluray audio as well.
Bill

Thanks for your welcome, Bill.

That would be great. Although not so many yet, there are some very interesting music BDs around, from bands and artists such as Pink Floyd, Rush and Steven Wilson, as well as some classical music. There are also some great concerts BDs worthy of our attention. It would also be interesting to make comparisons between SACD releases and their counterparts in BD, such as PF's Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, which are available in both formats.

It is indeed very nice to have a place to read and learn so much about this hobby of ours.

Abel
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page