Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Review: YES Fragile DVD-a

5.1 and 2.0 hi-rez, DD 5.1 also available
Music: 10
Surround mix: 9

I've been listening to Fragile since mid-70's, so I am intimately familiar with the album. But when I unwrapped the dvd-a and sat back for a listen, it was like a new experience. While the mix is sometimes aggressive in use of surrounds, it still stays true to the music- just expands and clarifies it. The album comprises 5 group efforts and five "solo" pieces, one from each band member, including the newly-arrived keyboard wizard Rick Wakeman. His multi-layered, multi-tracked keyboard take "Cans and Brahms" is a real mch show-off track, w/ different keyboards coming from different speakers- and I've never heard the bass so full on this track as it is on the dvd-a; those organ pedals really penetrate. Bruford's short drum track is the most adventurous, as the sounds cycle around the soundstage. All the songs benefit from a fine surround mix and the increased room for the individual instruments to shine. Yes music is often complicated, full of contrapuntal lines and often w/ 3-or-more part harmonies, so their music really benefits from having the space to differentiate the different instruments and voices. And anyone who knows Yes knows how critical Squire's bass work is to the Yes sound; the bass really shines on this disc. The one track that is less impressive is Howe's guitar solo "Mood for a Day." It doesn't have the fullness I expect of a surround mix, even for a solo instrument. It almost sounds a little compressed; it sounds a little hollow, like he's playing in a huge empty space. This track drops a point off the surround mix score.

I can even listen to Roundabout with this great mix, a song that got burned out for me a while ago; not only was it the most frequently played Yessong on the radio, but it has also been played at EVERY Yes concert I've been to, which is a very considerable number (Starship Trooper and I've seen All Good People/ Your Move have recieved the same fate). But the best tracks (meaning of course the ones I like the most) are Heart of the Sunrise and South Side of the Sky. Neither has a real aggressive surround mix, but they are very well-done. Yes music is very dynamic and during the quieter, airy parts, the mix has me feeling like I'm floating along within the music, absorbed into it's atmosphere, until they bring the hammer down and the power drives right into my chest.

There are some pics available, as well as lyrics to the songs while playing. There is a bonus mix of "America," Yes' reworking of S&G's song that only ever made it onto a compilation LP (Yesterdays), but was a live staple for a time. I love this song and it also sounds great in mch, though slightly marred by some guitar noodling that was unwisely added in a few places. All in all, an excellent package, highly recommended.
Djoel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 439 Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you have any interest in the above dvd-a, I just saw this- from UK, but even w/ shipping, a good price- assuming it doesn't balloon as auction ends. But hurry- over in 1 day 6 hrs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yes-Fragile-DVD-2002-/111017505272?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item19d928b1f8

and no, this is not my listing- I'm in the good ol USA.
post #423 of 439 Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Review: YES Fragile DVD-a

5.1 and 2.0 hi-rez, DD 5.1 also available
Music: 10
Surround mix: 9

I've been listening to Fragile since mid-70's, so I am intimately familiar with the album. But when I unwrapped the dvd-a and sat back for a listen, it was like a new experience. While the mix is sometimes aggressive in use of surrounds, it still stays true to the music- just expands and clarifies it. The album comprises 5 group efforts and five "solo" pieces, one from each band member, including the newly-arrived keyboard wizard Rick Wakeman. His multi-layered, multi-tracked keyboard take "Cans and Brahms" is a real mch show-off track, w/ different keyboards coming from different speakers- and I've never heard the bass so full on this track as it is on the dvd-a; those organ pedals really penetrate. Bruford's short drum track is the most adventurous, as the sounds cycle around the soundstage. All the songs benefit from a fine surround mix and the increased room for the individual instruments to shine. Yes music is often complicated, full of contrapuntal lines and often w/ 3-or-more part harmonies, so their music really benefits from having the space to differentiate the different instruments and voices. And anyone who knows Yes knows how critical Squire's bass work is to the Yes sound; the bass really shines on this disc. The one track that is less impressive is Howe's guitar solo "Mood for a Day." It doesn't have the fullness I expect of a surround mix, even for a solo instrument. It almost sounds a little compressed; it sounds a little hollow, like he's playing in a huge empty space. This track drops a point off the surround mix score.

I can even listen to Roundabout with this great mix, a song that got burned out for me a while ago; not only was it the most frequently played Yessong on the radio, but it has also been played at EVERY Yes concert I've been to, which is a very considerable number (Starship Trooper and I've seen All Good People/ Your Move have recieved the same fate). But the best tracks (meaning of course the ones I like the most) are Heart of the Sunrise and South Side of the Sky. Neither has a real aggressive surround mix, but they are very well-done. Yes music is very dynamic and during the quieter, airy parts, the mix has me feeling like I'm floating along within the music, absorbed into it's atmosphere, until they bring the hammer down and the power drives right into my chest.

There are some pics available, as well as lyrics to the songs while playing. There is a bonus mix of "America," Yes' reworking of S&G's song that only ever made it onto a compilation LP (Yesterdays), but was a live staple for a time. I love this song and it also sounds great in mch, though slightly marred by some guitar noodling that was unwisely added in a few places. All in all, an excellent package, highly recommended.

Good review, thanks.
post #424 of 439 Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks! for sharing. Great album, great review.
post #425 of 439 Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have close to 500 SACDs now: http://www.sa-cd.net/library/4224/1

Luckily the bulk of my collection was acquired when the format was mostly
ignored. The prices are just insane these days, should I buy a safe for Kraftwerk
and the Rolling Stones?smile.gif

I have learned that one of the best ways to navigate future purchases
is to read sa-cd.net reviews, esp if there is more than one. The rating
system allow sound quality comments too. Then I link to the sellers from
the page.

My rule of thumb is only to buy items 4.5 stars or above.

There are however many unreviewed great recordings. Just recently i got
Universal Japan's Dire Strait's Communique and I just cannot stop listening
to it, SQ is amazing, yet no reviews.

I am also getting more and more into DTS-HD MA concert and music videos.
I found that blu-ray.com reviewers comments seem to be right on.
post #426 of 439 Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

I have close to 500 SACDs now: http://www.sa-cd.net/library/4224/1

Luckily the bulk of my collection was acquired when the format was mostly
ignored. The prices are just insane these days, should I buy a safe for Kraftwerk
and the Rolling Stones?smile.gif

I have learned that one of the best ways to navigate future purchases
is to read sa-cd.net reviews, esp if there is more than one. The rating
system allow sound quality comments too. Then I link to the sellers from
the page.

My rule of thumb is only to buy items 4.5 stars or above.

There are however many unreviewed great recordings. Just recently i got
Universal Japan's Dire Strait's Communique and I just cannot stop listening
to it, SQ is amazing, yet no reviews.

I am also getting more and more into DTS-HD MA concert and music videos.
I found that blu-ray.com reviewers comments seem to be right on.

This is good info. So you have quite a few Japan SACD's? I've been afraid to try them, at 60 bucks a pop I didn't want to make a mistake. Unless you know a cheaper outlet. Thanks.
post #427 of 439 Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Anyone buy the new APO SACD Doors box set?
post #428 of 439 Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View PostThis is good info. So you have quite a few Japan SACD's? I've been afraid to try them, at 60 bucks a pop I didn't want to make a mistake. Unless you know a cheaper outlet. Thanks.

$60 for a CD I don't think so :( Are they gold plated!

post #429 of 439 Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

$60 for a CD I don't think so frown.gif Are they gold plated!

SHM-SACDs are not gold but "SHM-SACD (Super High Material SACD) is the ultimate Super Audio CD that utilizes the materials and technologies that were developed for the SHM-CD to further enhance the audio-resolution". That alone has to be better than gold plated wink.gif.

I agree that the SHM-SACDs are waaaay overpriced. I have a few and I'll hold on to them but I doubt I'll be buying anymore unless the costs are below $40. The last one I bought was Quadrophenia and that was new from ebay (blowitoutahere) for $52 shipped. Certainly not a bargain but one that I wanted as it sounds excellent and could be OOP in the near future.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #430 of 439 Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

$60 for a CD I don't think so frown.gif Are they gold plated!

I know it's a lot but with our setups being so revealing anymore I would pay that for a couple I knew were really well mastered.
post #431 of 439 Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

SHM-SACDs are not gold but "SHM-SACD (Super High Material SACD) is the ultimate Super Audio CD that utilizes the materials and technologies that were developed for the SHM-CD to further enhance the audio-resolution". That alone has to be better than gold plated wink.gif.

I agree that the SHM-SACDs are waaaay overpriced. I have a few and I'll hold on to them but I doubt I'll be buying anymore unless the costs are below $40. The last one I bought was Quadrophenia and that was new from ebay (blowitoutahere) for $52 shipped. Certainly not a bargain but one that I wanted as it sounds excellent and could be OOP in the near future.

Bill

Do they sell those with any claims regarding the longevity of the data? That would be a possible benefit of better materials. But the audio resolution is a function of the bit depth and the data rate. And the mastering is unrelated to the materials used as well

Jeff
post #432 of 439 Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If youse guys want a steal, mosey over to HDtracks.com and pay $5 for the binaural stereo 192/24 Wake Up Your Ears sampler download of Chesky tracks being promoted by Audiogon right now. It's actually $5 for your choice of 44/16, 96/24, or 192/24 - all the same price. I bought a .flac download of the 192/24 and was blown away by it and wanted to see if I could hear a difference from the 96/24, so I shelled out another $5 for that version as well.

Long story short, the difference is significant - it's the difference between a really good sounding disk and being in the same room as the musicians.The difference is in the clarity of the high frequency room acoustics.

I'm playing these .flacs through my Oppo BDP-93 over my LAN - I've stopped burning disks, since the Oppo doesn't care whether it's getting a flac from a data DVD, a memory stick, or over a LAN.

I've long mocked binaural recordings but Chesky does them right, creating an almost holographic effect. I don't limit the sound to the front main speakers, however, but use my amp's ability to play the same thing out the side surrounds, turning the room into a giant pair of headphones.

Not to be believed.

PS Most of the music is blues or jazz - which is my favorite stuff anyway.

PPS Unlike the bulk of the stuff at HDTracks, which is from old analog tapes, this stuff was recorded digitally by Chesky itself.

-Phil

post #433 of 439 Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View PostIf youse guys want a steal, mosey over to HDtracks.com and pay $5 for the binaural stereo 192/24 Wake Up Your Ears sampler download of Chesky tracks being promoted by Audiogon right now. It's actually $5 for your choice of 44/16, 96/24, or 192/24 - all the same price. I bought a .flac download of the 192/24 and was blown away by it and wanted to see if I could hear a difference from the 96/24, so I shelled out another $5 for that version as well.  PS Most of the music is blues or jazz - which is my favorite stuff anyway.  PPS Unlike the bulk of the stuff at HDTracks, which is from old analog tapes, this stuff was recorded digitally by Chesky itself. -Phil

Really can't stand any of the music on that sampler except the classical piece

post #434 of 439 Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
That's the damn thing with SHM-SACDs.
All of the small collection of them that I have with the exception of the first one I bought, sound better than any other version I own.
I swore off them then read good reviews of My Aim Is True on sacd.net and bought that one!
I'm worthless and weak...

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #435 of 439 Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

That's the damn thing with SHM-SACDs.
All of the small collection of them that I have with the exception of the first one I bought, sound better than any other version I own.
I swore off them then read good reviews of My Aim Is True on sacd.net and bought that one!
I'm worthless and weak...

Milt, if they sound better and you are comfortable with the cost difference for that sound quality difference, then you have gotten your money's worth. I do not own any myself, nor have I ever compared any to the corresponding "lesser" version.

Jeff
post #436 of 439 Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Milt, if they sound better and you are comfortable with the cost difference for that sound quality difference, then you have gotten your money's worth. I do not own any myself, nor have I ever compared any to the corresponding "lesser" version.

Jeff

Jeff,

I agree with your thoughts 100%. I've spent more than $60 for a few SACDs and at times wonder if I'm nuts wink.gif. But in the end I have enjoyed these SACDs very much so the money spent was well worth it for me smile.gif.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #437 of 439 Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Would really love to get back on the saddle and review some discs, but hey if someone else takes the reigns that would be awesome too biggrin.gif

Wakey wakey eggs and bakey !

DJoel
post #438 of 439 Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Would really love to get back on the saddle and review some discs, but hey if someone else takes the reigns that would be awesome too biggrin.gif

Wakey wakey eggs and bakey !

DJoel

Hey Dan,

Nice job resurrecting this old thread smile.gif. I think you should copy and paste your review of Jorma Kaukonen's Blue Country Heart SACD and post it here. I'm listening to it right now. I'll have to do a few reviews to get "back in the saddle" wink.gif. The only problem might be linking new reviews to the first post. If I recall the last time I tried to add a link to new reviews in the first post they wouldn't post properly. I'll have to try it again when there are some new reviews.

Bill

post #439 of 439 Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Dan,

Nice job resurrecting this old thread smile.gif. I think you should copy and paste your review of Jorma Kaukonen's Blue Country Heart SACD and post it here. I'm listening to it right now. I'll have to do a few reviews to get "back in the saddle" wink.gif. The only problem might be linking new reviews to the first post. If I recall the last time I tried to add a link to new reviews in the first post they wouldn't post properly. I'll have to try it again when there are some new reviews.

Bill

Yeah it was buried deep a great thread such as this one needed to be raised up! Yeah I almost forgot I wrote that, it needs to be polish up a bit I think I was smoking meth when I wrote it so I can probably do it up a little better,
I sure the Cary is making you proud, are you tube rolling? I know you had a few Tube Preamps in the pass just wondering is you had some Tubes put away for a snowing cold day?

I vaguely recall you having some issues with the first page, and linking issues...Perhaps one of the Mods can help out?

Hoping of a snow day tomorrow biggrin.gif

GN

Dan
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page