post #61 of 439 Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
Great pick-ups Bill. That's a lot of quality 5.1 for the same cost of a single SHM-SACD! Enjoy.
Thanks Martin. I didn't look at it that way but you are right in that I got three very good DVD-As for the cost of a single SHM-SACD. In the order with the three DVD-As is Coltrane's A Love Supreme SACD. The cost with the four discs is still about the same cost as one SHM-SACD.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 439 Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Thanks Martin. I didn't look at it that way but you are right in that I got three very good DVD-As for the cost of a single SHM-SACD. In the order with the three DVD-As is Coltrane's A Love Supreme SACD. The cost with the four discs is still about the same cost as one SHM-SACD.

Bill

Bill

I am listening to light bulb sun right now for the first time, IMO it's very good. I hope you like it
post #63 of 439 Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockwilt View Post

Bill

I am listening to light bulb sun right now for the first time, IMO it's very good. I hope you like it

Brock-are you still having a hard time getting into In Absentia?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #64 of 439 Old 08-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I haven't listened to it since my first time. Ive bad a bunch of new discs show up recently that I bought and about 6-7 discs a very nice avs forum member sent me to keep ... I mean borrow

I would imagine I might like it better now that I have listened to light bulb sun and deadwing. I like both of those. And I still have the incident to listen to when I get a chance.
post #65 of 439 Old 08-28-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockwilt View Post

Bill

Brock,

I can't wait to get these DVD-As. I know that PT's music is different but I'm looking forward to trying something new. I hope that Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are shipped right away as they were in stock.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #66 of 439 Old 08-28-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Steve,

Did you have a hard time getting into In Absentia? Do PT's albums differ much from one to another? Not that I think that would be a bad thing I'm just curious.

Bill

post #67 of 439 Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve,

Did you have a hard time getting into In Absentia? Do PT's albums differ much from one to another? Not that I think that would be a bad thing I'm just curious.

Bill

My first experience with Porcupine Tree in any format was "Stupid Dream" and that was only last year. In general PT was a little tricky for me to get into as I was having a tough time putting my finger on their style. To me the songs are a varied mix of soft and melodic, heavy, and spacey/experimental. Once I started to "get it" I really began to appreciate it, which made my next PT disc (In Absentia) much easier to get the feel for. To me those two albums are not dramatically different, but again-I'm a fairly new fan.

I've been listening to PT a lot lately, but only the albums mentioned above. I'm intentionally waiting to listen to the others until I've become very familiar with "In Absentia" and "Stupid Dream." I'm really starting to dig the band but have no experience (yet) with "Deadwing/Lightbulb Sun/The Incident."

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #68 of 439 Old 08-29-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My first experience with Porcupine Tree in any format was "Stupid Dream" and that was only last year. In general PT was a little tricky for me to get into as I was having a tough time putting my finger on their style. To me the songs are a varied mix of soft and melodic, heavy, and spacey/experimental. Once I started to "get it" I really began to appreciate it, which made my next PT disc (In Absentia) much easier to get the feel for. To me those two albums are not dramatically different, but again-I'm a fairly new fan.

I've been listening to PT a lot lately, but only the albums mentioned above. I'm intentionally waiting to listen to the others until I've become very familiar with "In Absentia" and "Stupid Dream." I'm really starting to dig the band but have no experience (yet) with "Deadwing/Lightbulb Sun/The Incident."

Steve,

Thanks for your thoughts. I will start with Stupid Dream which should arrive first with Lightbulb Sun.

I have some time to listen to some music with the house to myself this afternoon. I have Miles Davis' Miles Smiles SACD on right now. It was a choice between listening to music or cleaning up the yard after Irene came through. It was an easy choice. I hope all of those in Irene's path are OK and did not sustain much if any damage. It is sad to read of those that lost their lives due to the storm.

Bill

post #69 of 439 Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have listened to Miles Davis' Miles Smiles, David Bowie's Lets Dance and now The Police's Synchronicity SACDs. I'll try to do some reviews on all three later today. Although so far I'm not finding any of them to be reference material.

Bill

post #70 of 439 Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I have listened to Miles Davis' Miles Smiles, David Bowie's Lets Dance and now The Police's Synchronicity SACDs. I'll try to do some reviews on all three later today. Although so far I'm not finding any of them to be reference material.

Bill

i didn't know there was an sacd for david bowie let's dance. is it multichannel?
post #71 of 439 Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

i didn't know there was an sacd for david bowie let's dance. is it multichannel?

Its only 2CH which is unfortunate as it would be excellent in MCH.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1320

Bill

post #72 of 439 Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve,

Thanks for your thoughts. I will start with Stupid Dream which should arrive first with Lightbulb Sun.

I have some time to listen to some music with the house to myself this afternoon. I have Miles Davis' Miles Smiles SACD on right now. It was a choice between listening to music or cleaning up the yard after Irene came through. It was an easy choice. I hope all of those in Irene's path are OK and did not sustain much if any damage. It is sad to read of those that lost their lives due to the storm.

Bill

Bill-

On a long road trip today I gave Stupid Dream another spin (3rd one in the past few days) and I'm still very impressed. It may be a solid choice for your first time with the band. I also listened to Fear of a Blank Planet which has a heavier sound to my ears, but some very strong songs. One random thing I discovered was that I have one of their redbook CDs (Stars Die) which is in a Super Jewel case. This has to be very rare-a redbook in a Super Jewel case??

post #73 of 439 Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Artist/Title Info: Miles Davis - Miles Smiles

Format: Single Layer SACD

Genre: Jazz

Label: Columbia CS 65682

I started listening to Miles Davis' music earlier this year and bought several of his SACDs. I have to admit that buying Miles' music is over-whelming as there are so many titles available. So I focused on the most popular titles like Kind Of Blue and went from there. Miles' music is a whole new venture for me being a classic rock, blues and mainstream jazz (recently) fan. I have enjoyed the many Miles' SACD and CDs I have bought but will admit the musical styles change quite a bit from album to album. Which in itself is not a bad thing as I enjoyed those changes. But in all honesty I'm very far from a traditional jazz or Miles Davis expert.

Miles Smiles was recorded in 1966 and released in 1967. It is the second of five albums recorded by Davis' second quintet, which featured saxophonist Wayne Shorter, pianist Herbie Hancock bassist Ron Carter, and drummer Tony Williams. The album when released received much acclaim from jazz critics.

I had not listened to this SACD in quite awhile and enjoyed the music very much as I listened to it yesterday. This is a stereo single layer SACD although the soundstage is very focused with it sounding like my center channel was in the mix. The SQ although good for a recording of this age but it is a bit bright at times and I found that the cymbals really stood out too much. The bass was somewhat thin at times as well. I do not have the RBCD version of this album as I would have liked to compare the two. I wonder if the SACD is that much of an improvement over a good version of the RBCD? Unfortunately I think SACDs from recordings of this age can be a hit or miss IMO.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/642

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music / 8.5 - SQ / 6.5

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Boston Acoustics A7200 (Sherwood A-965 clone)
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill

post #74 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Great review Bill, I enjoy Miles music at times, mostly on rain Sundays which to me seem perfect.Miles seems to paint a picture, and as you said his style tends change from album to album. I know he has influence so many people and bands of totally different genres so I know there is more to his music at first glance.

Would love to hear your comparison between Miles and Coltrane once you get Love Supreme. Different instruments just different side of the same coin, at least to me.

Dan
post #75 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Great review Bill, I enjoy Miles music at times, mostly on rain Sundays which to me seem perfect.Miles seems to paint a picture, and as you said his style tends change from album to album. I know he has influence so many people and bands of totally different genres so I know there is more to his music at first glance.

Would love to hear your comparison between Miles and Coltrane once you get Love Supreme. Different instruments just different side of the same coin, at least to me.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I enjoy listening to Miles pretty much the same way. I just got A Love Supreme today along with PT's Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. So I will be busy once I get some time to sit down and crank the tunes. I will definitely compare the musical content between A Love Supreme and some of the Miles' SACDs I have.

Bill

post #76 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Bill - I noticed you had Peter Gabriel's Up in your collection. I have been eyeing that one lately. Is it worth $50? Thanks. Steve

P.S. By the way I think the two Nickel Creek SACDs are incredible recordings. Having seen them in concert in a small well designed (acoustically) venue I can listen to either disk with my eyes closed and feel like I am back at the concert.
post #77 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Bill - I noticed you had Peter Gabriel's Up in your collection. I have been eyeing that one lately. Is it worth $50? Thanks. Steve.

I'm not Bill again but I just wanted to ask where did see UP for $50.

Djoel
post #78 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Djoel

The last one on eBay sold for 85. It usually goes higher

Ohh actually that one didn't sell yet. Nevermind me
post #79 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bill - I noticed you had Peter Gabriel's Up in your collection. I have been eyeing that one lately. Is it worth $50? Thanks. Steve

P.S. By the way I think the two Nickel Creek SACDs are incredible recordings. Having seen them in concert in a small well designed (acoustically) venue I can listen to either disk with my eyes closed and feel like I am back at the concert.

Hey Steve,

I think if you can grab Up for $50.00 definitely grab it. Buy it first then tell everyone where you bought it. I would say Up is an excellent sounding MCH SACD. The music is a bit different at times, kind of hard to explain. Not mainstream like So is but still enjoyable to listen to IMO.

I have one Nickel Creek SACD This Side and would grab the S/T one as well but the prices are a bit steep. I enjoy listening to This Side but its not really the type of music I listen to much.

Bill

post #80 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Djoel

What are you looking for a backup copy?

Bill

post #81 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are you looking for a backup copy?

Bill

Hey Bill, I start UP (pun intended) a side business if I can buy it at $50, and sell for $85 or more....Just saying

Dan
post #82 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey Bill, I start UP (pun intended) a side business if I can buy it at $50, and sell for $85 or more....Just saying

Dan

With your luck and mine we'd go into business together then SACDs would be a dime a dozen. Sea Change and Avalon would be going for $10.00 the second we open up for business.

Bill

post #83 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With your luck and mine we'd go into business together then SACDs would be a dime a dozen. Sea Change and Avalon would be going for $10.00 the second we open up for business.

Bill

You're absolutely right Bill, we go into business and SACD's and DVD-A's make a presidential come back

I was half kidding, I was trying to convey that if he had seen it for $50 bucks he should pick it up before some else does..Quickly..

Dan
post #84 of 439 Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=Djoel;20900195]
Quote:

You're absolutely right Bill, we go into business and SACD's and DVD-A's make a presidential come back

The other problem is we would never sell any product. We would be too busy listening and reviewing said product.

Quote:

I was half kidding, I was trying to convey that if he had seen it for $50 bucks he should pick it up before some else does..Quickly..

I agree as one should always buy first then mention the good deal they got. Because if one mentions a SACD like Up for $50.00 the net is crashing with "Up for $50.00" searches.

Bill

post #85 of 439 Old 09-03-2011, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Yeah, their self titled red book CD has excellent audio quality. Some very fine picking, bowing and singing goes on there. I can only imagine what they sound like live.
post #86 of 439 Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The other problem is we would never sell any product. We would be too busy listening and reviewing said product.

Getting high on your own supply, that rule would easily work in this instant

Quote:

I agree as one should always buy first then mention the good deal they got. Because if one mentions a SACD like Up for $50.00 the net is crashing with "Up for $50.00" searches.

Bill

Lol...Not too good at this am I, everyones mother is looking for PG's UP at fitty dollars

Tell you one thing I bet the OP has either purchased it by now after all our chatter..That can be our sales pitch..

Dan
post #87 of 439 Old 09-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Liked: 14
Artist/Title Info:Eagles-Hotel California Genre:Rock Label:Rhino I just received this SACD from Amazon and found time to listen to it today.I have a lot of the Eagles CD and DTS discs on tour and Hell Freezes Over and they all sound great BUT this SACD is FANTASTC in sound quality.I did not buy the DVD AUDIO as I new this disc was releasing this year and boy was it worth the wait.This sounds as if it is LIVE in your room with great sound stage and instament placement.This disc was released in 1976 and was remixed in 2001 for 5.1 sound and the sound is as if they recorded the disc today.My most favorite song is The Last Resort as the highs and the low passages are great with NO background noise.This disc is as in the same greatness as Stelly Dan[Goucho SACD] and Dire Straits[Brothers In Arms SACD] in 2 CH. and 5 Ch. sound. Rating[Scale 1-10]Music/9.5-SQ/10 This disc was played on an OPPO-95 in Analog mode for 2 Ch. and 5 Ch.I have my Onkyo 3008 set up for Multi Ch. Direct which is for Analog.I first used DSD but in my system prefered PCM for this disc.This is one of the best sounding SACD I have in my collection and rate it as A BEST BUY!!!! SYSTEM INFO: Source-OPPO-95 Receiver_Onkyo-3008 AMPS-Emotiva XPA-2 and EPA-5 Front L/R :Salk Song Towers Center:Salk Song Center Surroundsefinitive Tech.Mythos 10 Surround Location: Side Walls L /R Sub:Epik Empire Room is inclosed as in Theater and is 20+18. Bruce voigt

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #88 of 439 Old 09-03-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Fantastic review, I love the multiple reviews on the same format, reiterate basically the same out come..

Gotta love this hobby

Djoel
post #89 of 439 Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the great review! I will add your review to the others in the #2 post. We will definitely have to compare the Hotel California SACD and DVD-A in the near future. I'm very interested to see if there is any noticeable SQ differences between the two. I have Yes' Fragile coming on SACD so I'm looking forward to hearing that when it arrives.

Bill

post #90 of 439 Old 09-03-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just ordered two SACDs titles from Living Stereo. As far as I know all their titles are classical. The cost of these titles are quite low usually under $10.00. I have been trying different types of music lately and thought why not try some classical music. Maybe this will make me more refined but I'm not counting on it.

Here is a link to a thread I started over at the Steve Hoffman forum inquiring about which titles are the best ones to start a collection with. I also checked sa-cd.net for ratings as well.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...d.php?t=261665

These are the two Living Stereo titles I bought.

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue - Fiedler

Ravel: Bolero, La Valse, Rapsodie Espagnole - Munch

Bill

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page