post #91 of 439 Old 09-04-2011, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the great review! I will add your review to the others in the #2 post. We will definitely have to compare the Hotel California SACD and DVD-A in the near future. I'm very interested to see if there is any noticeable SQ differences between the two. I have Yes' Fragile coming on SACD so I'm looking forward to hearing that when it arrives.

Bill

Hey Bill:Thanks as the disc was fantastic .I also purchased Get Lucky Mark Knopfler in CD format and listened to that disc which sounded great for a CD as I tried to buy a SACD but I think no one was recorded.It was a great day of Music and BluRay Movies. Take Care Bruce

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 439 Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
I just received All Across The City SACD from jazz guitarist Jim Hall. I just put it on and I'm listening to the MCH layer so far it sounds very good! The MCH layer is ultilizing all speakers including the sub with nice fill from the surrounds. I picked it up on ebay for $9.99 plus shipping (link below).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JIM-HALL-ALL...item19c86bf6d3

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1080

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #93 of 439 Old 09-10-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockwilt View Post

Bill

I am listening to light bulb sun right now for the first time, IMO it's very good. I hope you like it

Brock,

I had a chance to give Lightbulb Sun a good listen the other day. I enjoyed the music and the surround mix very much. I also listened to Stupid Dream as well which was enjoyable as well. I have to take the time to put together a few reviews of some new stuff I have bought. Just too lazy lately to take the time to type up some thoughts.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #94 of 439 Old 09-10-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
I just received All Across The City SACD from jazz guitarist Jim Hall. I just put it on and I'm listening to the MCH layer so far it sounds very good! The MCH layer is ultilizing all speakers including the sub with nice fill from the surrounds. I picked it up on ebay for $9.99 plus shipping (link below).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JIM-HALL-ALL...item19c86bf6d3

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1080

Bill

Thanks Bro sounds good, I order it when you first posted. Did you get it from the same place.

Dan
post #95 of 439 Old 09-10-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Thanks Bro sounds good, I order it when you first posted. Did you get it from the same place.

Dan
Hey Dan,

My pleasure! Yes, the same place. It came well packaged and arrived fairly quickly. Let me know what you think of it when it arrives. Jim Hall's playing in a way reminds me of Pat Metheny. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the music and the overall sound quality of this inexpensive SACD.

Bill

post #96 of 439 Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Artist/Title Info: John Mayall & Friends - Along For The Ride

Format: Hybrid Stereo SACD

Genre: Blues

Label: Audio Fidelity AFZ-016

I bought this SACD quite awhile ago and have not listened to it in sometime. I decided to give it a spin and this is a great sounding SACD that was mastered by Steve Hoffman. This album is a selection of blues song with many guests including Peter Green, Mick Taylor, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Gary Moore, Chris Rea, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Andy Fairweather Low, Otis Rush, Jeff Healey, Steve Cropper, Billy Preston, Billy Gibbons, Jonny Lang, Steve Miller & Davey Graham.

The songs feature just about a different linup on each song but blend very well together. As I listened to this SACD I am very impressed with the SQ with a wide and deep soundstage. "If I Don't Get Home" which is the 6th track is one of my favorites with the late great Gary Moore on lead guitar is just a smokin' track. I'm glad I broke this one out to give it a good listen. I think I should slow down on buying SACDs and just listen to the ones I have.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1571

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music / 9.0 - SQ / 8.5

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Boston Acoustics A7200 (Sherwood A-965 clone)
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill

post #97 of 439 Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Fantastic review Bill, funny you say the same thing I should be doing..Instead of buying I need to start listening to my music, but with review like yours I just want to buy, buy, buy. It's a vicious circle

I need to post a few review myself, now that the cool weather is flowing in.

Dan
post #98 of 439 Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Fantastic review Bill, funny you say the same thing I should be doing..Instead of buying I need to start listening to my music, but with review like yours I just want to buy, buy, buy. It's a vicious circle

I need to post a few review myself, now that the cool weather is flowing in.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Thanks. It really is a vicious circle as I keep seeing music I want to buy and I am buying it. Instead I should show some restraint and not buy everything I see. As much as I hate winter here in Maine it is a good time to just stay in and listen to music. It is sunny here in the 60's but I had the house to myself so I listened to some music for a few hours.

I had ordered a few Living Stereo SACDs and finally had a chance to listen to them today. I have never owned any classical music before buying these discs and I enjoyed listening to them very much. I will admit that being new to this genre I never realized how dynamic the music is. I will have to post my thoughts of both SACDs a bit later. Definitely post some reviews as I look forward to your thoughts on selections from your Hi-Rez collection.

Bill

post #99 of 439 Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Hey Dan,

Thanks. It really is a vicious circle as I keep seeing music I want to buy and I am buying it. Instead I should show some restraint and not buy everything I see. As much as I hate winter here in Maine it is a good time to just stay in and listen to music. It is sunny here in the 60's but I had the house to myself so I listened to some music for a few hours.

I had ordered a few Living Stereo SACDs and finally had a chance to listen to them today. I have never owned any classical music before buying these discs and I enjoyed listening to them very much. I will admit that being new to this genre I never realized how dynamic the music is. I will have to post my thoughts of both SACDs a bit later. Definitely post some reviews as I look forward to your thoughts on selections from your Hi-Rez collection.

Bill

Sorry Bill, but I gotta agree with Dan here--I'm in a "listen more buy less" mode and these positive reviews are not helping my cause.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #100 of 439 Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Sorry Bill, but I gotta agree with Dan here--I'm in a "listen more buy less" mode and these positive reviews are not helping my cause.

Hey Steve,

Sorry about that. If I give all 5 or under ratings to all my reviews will that help. I was not to happy to see that the Cowboys beat the 49ers.

Bill

post #101 of 439 Old 09-19-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Steve,

Sorry about that. If I give all 5 or under ratings to all my reviews will that help. I was not to happy to see that the Cowboys beat the 49ers.

Bill

It was a tough loss but my 49ers will be OK, and your Pats are still looking strong. Went to the Rose Bowl on Saturday and saw UCLA get thumped by Texas. Weak MNF game tonight

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #102 of 439 Old 09-19-2011, 03:56 PM

Artist/Title: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Format:SACD
Genre:Rock
Label:Warner Brother
I have just listened to this great disc in Sacd Format.I have had this disc in DVD AUDIO and it sounded real good but I hear more from this new disc.The sound in PCM and Multisurround is fantastic.The surrounds are filled with one of the best mixes much like the new Eagles -Hotel California.My favorite song is Gold Dust Woman ,Oh Daddy and Siver Springs which was not on the original CD release.I sold my DVD AUDIO disc a while ago and will not miss it with this great release.
Ratings [Scale i-10] Music 9.0-Sq/.9.5
System info:
Source:Oppo-95
Pre Pro:Onkyo-3008
AMPS:Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5
FR/FL:Salk Song Towers
Center:SALK Song Center
Surroundsefinitive Mythos -10
Surround Location:Side Walls /L/R
Sub:Epik Empire
Room:Inclosed Home Theater 18-W/25-L

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #103 of 439 Old 09-19-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

Artist/Title: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Format:SACD
Label:Warner Brother
Ihave juse listened to this great disc in Sacd Format.I have had this disc in DVD AUDIO and it sounded real good but I hear more from this new disc.The sound in PCM and Multisurround is fantastic.The surrounds are filled with one of the best mixes much like the new Eagles -Hotel California.My favorite song is Gold Dust Woman ,Oh Daddyand Siver Springs which was not on the original CD release.I sold my DVD AUDIO disc a while ago and will not miss it with this great release.
Ratings [Scale i-10] Music 9.0-Sq/.9.5
System info:
Pre Pro:Onkyo-3008
AMPS:Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5
Center:SALK Song Center
Surroundsefinitive Mythos -10
Surround Location:Side Walls /L/R
Room:Inclosed Home Theater 18-W/25-L

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the great review! You have me thinking of selling my Hotel California and Rumours DVD-As for the SACDs. But before I sell them we will have to do a direct comparison.

Bill

post #104 of 439 Old 09-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Artist/Titleire Straits/Dire Straits
Format:SACD/SHM
Label:Mercury Records/1978
Ratings:[Scale 1-10] Music/9-SQ/10
System Info
Pre Pro:Onkyo 3008
Amps:Emotiva-Xpa-2/Emotiva-Xpa-5
Center:Salk Song Center
Surrounds:L/R Definitive Tech.Mythos 10
Surround Location: On side walls
Room: 18W-23L The room is an inclosed Home Theater.
I have spent the afternoon listening to SACD in 2 CH.This Dire Straits SHM SACD is FANTASTIC in 2CH.I have had the CD for years and I am glad I spent $50.00 to buy this disc as It is worth every cent.The sound is as good as Brothers In Arms in SACD and it is a much older CD.The music is as live in my room as every detail of all the instruments is as LIVE.My favorite songs stand out Six Blade Knife,In The Gallery.Water Of Love and Wild Wild West are FANTASTIC and all the other songs are just as good.If you are a Dire Straits fan please RUN out and do yourself a favor and buy this GREAT SACD even though it is quite expensive BUT worth every cent you pay!!!! I was PARALIZED for the whole hour listening to this disc.

post #105 of 439 Old 09-24-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bruce,

Thanks again for a great review! When I have the time I will have to break out my copy of this SACD. I was surprised that I did not have Dire Straits S/T on CD. Unless I lost it I guess I never had a copy of it.

Bill

post #106 of 439 Old 09-24-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Hey Dan,

I had ordered a few Living Stereo SACDs and finally had a chance to listen to them today. I have never owned any classical music before buying these discs and I enjoyed listening to them very much. I will admit that being new to this genre I never realized how dynamic the music is:eek:. I will have to post my thoughts of both SACDs a bit later. Definitely post some reviews as I look forward to your thoughts on selections from your Hi-Rez collection.

Bill

Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill.
Seriously you need to explore "classical" releases more.
Check out Music in the Round and The 5th Element on Stereophile.
Invaluable resources. Unleash the real potential of Hi-Res.
Don't let Jeff see you posting good things about the Living Stereo stuff.
It's all from the 50's and dare I say it analog. There I said it.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #107 of 439 Old 09-24-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
voigtskins - thanks for those reviews. interesting, we have the same favorite songs on those albums. in the gallery and six blade knife followed closely by wild west end. and gold dust woman on rumours. but hey, both albums are loaded with very good tunes . i notice a lot of you guys have the salks. must be some good speakers.

p.s. bill and holt - thanks for reminding me of the nice wins by the cowboys and longhorns . hopefully the boys can take down the hated redskins on monday nite
post #108 of 439 Old 09-24-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill.
Seriously you need to explore "classical" releases more.
Check out Music in the Round and The 5th Element on Stereophile.
Invaluable resources. Unleash the real potential of Hi-Res.
Don't let Jeff see you posting good things about the Living Stereo stuff.
It's all from the 50's and dare I say it analog. There I said it.

Hey Milt,

I will definitely explore some more Living Stereo SACDs but I'm going to take it slow. I don't want to go overboard as I'm known to do. You never know maybe Jeff will pickup a few LS SACDs and become an analog convert.

Bill

post #109 of 439 Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

voigtskins - thanks for those reviews. interesting, we have the same favorite songs on those albums. in the gallery and six blade knife followed closely by wild west end. and gold dust woman on rumours. but hey, both albums are loaded with very good tunes . i notice a lot of you guys have the salks. must be some good speakers.

p.s. bill and holt - thanks for reminding me of the nice wins by the cowboys and longhorns . hopefully the boys can take down the hated redskins on monday nite

Hey grub,

Yes, both Hotel California and Rumours are great albums especially in Hi-Rez. I'm definitely very happy with my SongTowers and SongCenter. I wouldn't mention who I'll rooting for on Monday night.

Bill

post #110 of 439 Old 09-25-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

Hey Grub: Thanks as the albums I have reviewed sound awesome and glad you like the same songs .Love my Song Towers and Song Center and I can thank Bill for turning me on to these Great Salk speakers.You should try to listen to a pair and you would be taken over by the sound of Salk speakers.Please give some SACD suggestions as I am sure Bill and I would love to purchase more titles!!!! OK Bill

post #111 of 439 Old 10-05-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Artist Steven Wilson Solo project
Name of Album Grace for Drowning
Blu-ray (September 27, 2011)
Original Release Date: 2011
Number of Discs: 1
Format: Blu Ray
Label: KSCOPE
12 tracks in stereo and 5.1 in glorious 96k/24 bit

I was looking forward giving this one a spin for a few weeks now, I finally had the chance and I have to say it's an awesome recording/mix. It's not per say aggressive but it uses the surround speakers for the smallest detail, and adding air to instruments in a realistic way while voices do come through at times.
I enjoy each and every track, as you know Steven Wilson is the front man of Porcupine Tree, and has a reputation of being in the cusp of the latest recording techs, and formats. This album shows his commitment in doing just that, bring the best possible quality to those that it matter to. I have to say this might be just my opinion but Blu ray seems to be the wave for physical high resolution music, I enjoy the huge sound stage, and the sonic bubble that I get from this album, and most BR music disc I own.

I can see Steven trying to differentiate him self from PT as there are more song that reminds me of the group, but I can hear certain elements of acid jazz which blend quite nicely with some hard core riffs in such tunes as Raider II.

You get some bonus tracks (Click on the menu crinkle paper page where the songs are for demos, different mixes , which might be just 2ch!) and some spooky but interesting SW photographs that adds to the ambiance while listening to this great album.

Any Porcupine Tree fan should run out and get this one

Attachment 224566

1. Grace for Drowning
2. Sectarian
3. Deform to Form a Star
4. No Part of Me
5. Postcard
6. Raider Prelude
7. Remainder the Black Dog
8. Belle De Jour
9. Index
10. Track One
11. Raider II
12. Like Dust I Have Cleared from My Eye

System Info:
Source: Oppo BDP-93
AVR: Denon-AVR4311ci via HDMi, will be experimenting with single
Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 with costume face plate, it does nothing for sounds but it looks real cool.
FR/FL: B&W 802N 8 feet or so away, and slightly toed in..
Center: B&W HTM3S
Surrounds: 805N on their b&w stands
Surround location: As these are monitor and don't have any diffusion, the Left is pointing straight to the front right speaker and the Right monitor is pointing to the Left front speaker
Sub: JL Audio F113, sweeping up the bottom, with ARO active to tighten poor corner location.

Room: 20' W, 14' D with 9' high ceilings. Some room treatments in the first reflection, but would like to add more in the future, nice heavy rug which helps allot.
LL
post #112 of 439 Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Dan,

Thanks for posting that very detailed review of Grace For Drowning Bluray. I will be ordering this one shortly. I might have to move my system and my sleeping quarters to the garage as I've been on another music buying binge. The neighbors are starting to wonder why I'm sitting at the mailbox hoping to get the mail before my wife does. Actually my wifes very cool with all this stuff but I still get the occaisional eye roll.

Bill

post #113 of 439 Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Dan,

Thanks for posting that very detailed review of Grace For Drowning Bluray. I will be ordering this one shortly. I might have to move my system and my sleeping quarters to the garage as I've been on another music buying binge. The neighbors are starting to wonder why I'm sitting at the mailbox hoping to get the mail before my wife does. Actually my wifes very cool with all this stuff but I still get the occaisional eye roll.

Bill

Bill it's an great listen and I know your Salk's will deliver the goods, something I forgot to mention how Steve's voice is dead center which is usually the case with PT albums but time his voice just seem to come out clean as if he was right in the room.

Do what I do, mail the to your job.

Dan
post #114 of 439 Old 10-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have just been listening to one of my new arrivals - Fleetwood Mac Rumours SACD.

Track 3 - Never Going back Again, in the middle of the track. Their is an 'improv' that comes out of the surround speakers that is not present in the stereo mix. I have never heard this before, and never heard a different 'mix' on the stereo and multi-channel versions of an SACD.

Is this common knowledge? Does it occur very often with hybrid multi-channel discs?

Benje (OZ)
post #115 of 439 Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benje2 View Post

I have just been listening to one of my new arrivals - Fleetwood Mac Rumours SACD.

Track 3 - Never Going back Again, in the middle of the track. Their is an 'improv' that comes out of the surround speakers that is not present in the stereo mix. I have never heard this before, and never heard a different 'mix' on the stereo and multi-channel versions of an SACD.

Is this common knowledge? Does it occur very often with hybrid multi-channel discs?

Benje (OZ)

Benje,

I do not have the Rumours SACD but I have the DVD-A. When you say it is not present in th Stereo mix but is in the 5.1 mix it could be the way it is mixed for surround. I'm definitely no sound engineer but with many MCH SACD/DVD-As I own I will hear portions of the recording in surround (from the surrounds) that do not stand out when the 2CH stereo mix is played. I will be listening to this DVD-A tomorrow and comparing it to a friends SACD version. From what I have read the SACD and the DVD-A versions of Rumours use the same mastering.

Bill

post #116 of 439 Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bill

I do not mean hearing things 'better' in multi-channel, I mean a different mix, ie a different instrument is included in the surrounds mix. It sounds like an electric guitar, sometimes plucked/fingered and sometimes played with a slide on the frets. I cannot discern this at all on the stereo mix. It is laso a bit of a 'jazz improv' in style.

I look forward to your response on the dvd-a and the sacd - multi-channel versions.

One other comment that I would make about the Eagles SACD (Hotel California) and the Fleetwood Mac SACD (Rumours) - the recordings are quite loud. I have to turn my volume down for these.

As I use a Denon 3808a as a receiver to balance my fronts and surrounds (different speaker types) and integrate my subs, and as I usually usually use audyssey with dynamic volume, the low amplifier volume necessary for these two discs means more 'dynamic volume' presumption by audyssey. In my system, this produces a slightly bright rear surrounds. A little frustrating.

Benje (OZ)
post #117 of 439 Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi guys.., I have been lurking in here for awhile.. I have a OPPO and a ton of sacd's and dvd-audio's. Anyway here is a cool review for ya !

Artist: Foreigner
Name of Album: 4
SACD: 2011
Warner Japan
5.1 Hybrid Multi-Channel

Tracks:

1. Night Life
2. Juke Box Hero
3. Break It Up
4. Waiting for a Girl Like You
5. Luanne
6. Urgent
7. I'm Gonna Win
8. Woman in Black
9. Girl on the Moon
10. Don't Let Go
11. Juke Box Hero ["Nearly Unplugged" Version][*]
12. Waiting for a Girl Like You ["Nearly Unplugged" Version][*]

I am a big fan of Foreigner (the old original band with Lou Gramm and Co. Not the "new" Foreigner!)

Let me just say from the outset that i have never heard this album sound this good on any format.. I never owned the DVD-audio of this album so i can't compare it. Although i do own the band's self-titled effort on dvd-audio and that was a good sounding disc. I also have "4" on Vinyl and regular CD.

But this is an amazing sounding album in 5.1 channel DSD goodness. It literally floods your room with sound!! It is clear and present and has a wide soundstage. Lou Gramm's vocals are right in the room with you. I could not believe how awesome he sounded!! The backround vocals come to life like i have never heard them.. Of course the most famous songs stand out "Waiting for a Girl Like You", "Urgent", "Jukebox Hero" all sound amazing. They even include the almost "unplugged" versions of Juke Box Hero and Waiting for a Girl Like you.. I believe these were from the MTV Unplugged sessions in the late 90's and they sound clean! Very cool... All in all I don't think you guys would be disappointed in this release.. as long as you like Foreigner that is! Have fun and I will continue having fun along with you ! Enjoy!

Associated Equipment

Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-Audio etc
Yamaha RX-Z7 A/V Receiver
Oppo HDMI cable, Monster, Kimber and Pangea Analog, Speaker and Power Cables
Def Tech 7002, CLR 2500, Infinity Entra .5 rears and Infinity Entra Rear Center,
Def Tech Trinity Powered Sub
Monster Cable HTS 2600 Power Center
Monster Power HTS 800 Power Center
Samsung 61" LED DLP

Michael
post #118 of 439 Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benje2 View Post

Bill

I do not mean hearing things 'better' in multi-channel, I mean a different mix, ie a different instrument is included in the surrounds mix. It sounds like an electric guitar, sometimes plucked/fingered and sometimes played with a slide on the frets. I cannot discern this at all on the stereo mix. It is laso a bit of a 'jazz improv' in style.

I look forward to your response on the dvd-a and the sacd - multi-channel versions.

One other comment that I would make about the Eagles SACD (Hotel California) and the Fleetwood Mac SACD (Rumours) - the recordings are quite loud. I have to turn my volume down for these.

As I use a Denon 3808a as a receiver to balance my fronts and surrounds (different speaker types) and integrate my subs, and as I usually usually use audyssey with dynamic volume, the low amplifier volume necessary for these two discs means more 'dynamic volume' presumption by audyssey. In my system, this produces a slightly bright rear surrounds. A little frustrating.

Benje (OZ)

Benje,

I will listen for that portion of Never Going Back Again tomorrow. I will definitely let you know my thoughts on the comparisons between the Rumours and the Hotel California SACD/DVD-As. I tried Dynamic Volume but I really did not like it. Maybe try it with DV off to see what you think.

Bill

post #119 of 439 Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post

Hi guys.., I have been lurking in here for awhile.. I have a OPPO and a ton of sacd's and dvd-audio's. Anyway here is a cool review for ya !

Michael,

Thanks for the very cool review! I will have to put the Foreigner 4 SACD on my wish list. Keep those reviews coming as its great to get some thoughts on new and different SACD/DVD-As.

Bill

post #120 of 439 Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice review, Michael--feel free to post more . As a youngster I believe Foreigner 4 was the first album I ever owned, and I'm surprised I don't own the SACD or DVD-A. I know Brock raved about this release as well--guess I should put it on my list.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page