Sound Quality/Music Reviews and Comments on SACD/DVD-A - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 439 Old 10-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Member
 
warp2600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hungary
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benje2 View Post

I have just been listening to one of my new arrivals - Fleetwood Mac Rumours SACD.

Track 3 - Never Going back Again, in the middle of the track. Their is an 'improv' that comes out of the surround speakers that is not present in the stereo mix. I have never heard this before, and never heard a different 'mix' on the stereo and multi-channel versions of an SACD.

Is this common knowledge? Does it occur very often with hybrid multi-channel discs?

Benje (OZ)

There is the example of Tubular Bells SACD. The surround mix includes The Sailors Hornpipe in Part 2 while the stereo mix is the usual mix also found on the regular CD (layer).
warp2600 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 439 Old 10-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
brockwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunbury, PA
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Deleted post. Wrong thread

My SACD Collection
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DVD-A Collection
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brockwilt is offline  
post #123 of 439 Old 10-08-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I would like to thank forum member Bruce and fellow SongTower/SongCenter owner for having me to his home today. Bruce has an excellent dedicated HT/Audio room that sounds outstanding! We listened to quite a few SACD, DVD-As and concert Blurays. His system is setup quite well with the music just enveloping you completely. It gave me something to shoot for as my livingroom just doesn't have the same level of SQ as Bruce's room. I also want to thank Bruce's wife for baking an awesome sherry cake that was delicous.

I'm not sure if I will be invited back as it was determined that I was a bad influence on Bruce. I think it is a little of both as I am going to order some music that I heard while I was there. It is great to meet and spend time with fellow members that share this passion (obsession) of ours. We were missing fellow member screener as he had to work. Maybe our next meeting of NESSOC (North East Salk Speaker Owners Club) will be at screeners house. He also has an excellent dedicated HT/Audio room. Maybe we should wait for an invitation before inviting ourselves over.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #124 of 439 Old 10-08-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benje2 View Post

I have just been listening to one of my new arrivals - Fleetwood Mac Rumours SACD.

Track 3 - Never Going back Again, in the middle of the track. Their is an 'improv' that comes out of the surround speakers that is not present in the stereo mix. I have never heard this before, and never heard a different 'mix' on the stereo and multi-channel versions of an SACD.

Is this common knowledge? Does it occur very often with hybrid multi-channel discs?

Benje (OZ)

Benje,

I had a chance to listen to both the Rumours SACD and DVD-A today. You are absolutely correct in that there is additional music playing in the surrounds on the 5.1 mix. It almost sounds like a totally different acoustic guitar (slide?) that is not on the stereo mix. Nice find!

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #125 of 439 Old 10-08-2011, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
While I was at Bruce's we compared the Rumours and the Hotel California SACDs to the DVD-As. We both felt there was very little if any SQ differences between the two formats. I had read that some considered the volume of the SACDs louder than the DVD-As but we did not find any obvious volume differences. We played a couple of tracks from both formats back to back on Bruce's Oppo 95 and they sounded just about indentical to us. I was thinking of getting the SACDs of both titles but I'm quite happy with the DVD-As.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #126 of 439 Old 10-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
grubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benje2 View Post

I have just been listening to one of my new arrivals - Fleetwood Mac Rumours SACD.

Track 3 - Never Going back Again, in the middle of the track. Their is an 'improv' that comes out of the surround speakers that is not present in the stereo mix. I have never heard this before, and never heard a different 'mix' on the stereo and multi-channel versions of an SACD.

Is this common knowledge? Does it occur very often with hybrid multi-channel discs?

Benje (OZ)

i believe you'll find your answer here:

http://fleetwoodmac-uk.com/articles/FMart2.htm
grubadub is online now  
post #127 of 439 Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Member
 
Benje2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thanks grubadub - I knew there must be an answer somewhere, just didn't know where to look. I think 'we' guessed the instrument correctly as well.

I have copied the relevant part of grubadub's link and copied it below.

"DVD Audio puts Rumours in surround sound, with instruments and voices coming out of front and rear speakers in a way listeners haven't heard before.

The most notable difference is on the song Never Going Back Again. The song originally was called Brushes and consisted of just Lindsay Buckingham's acoustic guitar and backup vocal harmony, a short electric guitar solo and soft drumming by Fleetwood. But when it was mixed into two-channel stereo for the original release, the group felt the drums and electric guitar were intrusive. So listeners just heard voice and acoustic guitar, and the name was changed.

But isn't that like repainting the Mona Lisa in a different position or recutting Star Wars with different camera angles? ''The listener has the choice of listening to either version, both of which are on the DVD,'' Fleetwood says.

''The original mix was an artistic decision based on a technical reason,'' he says. ''This is our way of having fun with the new format. The integrity of the work is still there. Hopefully, fans will find that we're in satisfactory command of our faculties.
''

Benje (OZ)
Benje2 is offline  
post #128 of 439 Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Senior Member
 
voigtskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Atkinson NH
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I would like to thank forum member Bruce and fellow SongTower/SongCenter owner for having me to his home today. Bruce has an excellent dedicated HT/Audio room that sounds outstanding! We listened to quite a few SACD, DVD-As and concert Blurays. His system is setup quite well with the music just enveloping you completely. It gave me something to shoot for as my livingroom just doesn't have the same level of SQ as Bruce's room. I also want to thank Bruce's wife for baking an awesome sherry cake that was delicous.

I'm not sure if I will be invited back as it was determined that I was a bad influence on Bruce. I think it is a little of both as I am going to order some music that I heard while I was there. It is great to meet and spend time with fellow members that share this passion (obsession) of ours. We were missing fellow member screener as he had to work. Maybe our next meeting of NESSOC (North East Salk Speaker Owners Club) will be at screeners house. He also has an excellent dedicated HT/Audio room. Maybe we should wait for an invitation before inviting ourselves over.

Bill

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the compliments but it was great to have you to my house and my wife and I hope to continue this visit.I have been to Bills house and his Salk system is also fantastic.i will always be in dept to Bill for turning me on to this Fantastic Salk Speaker system and all his help setting up.We listened to a lot of great CD,SACD,DVD AUDIO and Bluray music and I also will be buying a few discs to fill my Obsession and hope my lovely wife does not notice.I should set up a SLUDGE FUND as my friend Bill does as to make less pressure on my wife.The topic of the visit was to find the new sound in the Fleetwood Mac disc and we found the extra great music in the surrond mix.This is a nice sound NESSOC as I hope we include some more members using the great SALK Speakers.I would love to visit screnners house and hear his Salk setup sounds like a plan.Bill is correct as both our wives are great to live with us going through our OBSESSION

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

 

voigtskins is offline  
post #129 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

Hey Bill,
Thanks for the compliments but it was great to have you to my house and my wife and I hope to continue this visit.I have been to Bills house and his Salk system is also fantastic.i will always be in dept to Bill for turning me on to this Fantastic Salk Speaker system and all his help setting up.We listened to a lot of great CD,SACD,DVD AUDIO and Bluray music and I also will be buying a few discs to fill my Obsession and hope my lovely wife does not notice.I should set up a SLUDGE FUND as my friend Bill does as to make less pressure on my wife.The topic of the visit was to find the new sound in the Fleetwood Mac disc and we found the extra great music in the surrond mix.This is a nice sound NESSOC as I hope we include some more members using the great SALK Speakers.I would love to visit screnners house and hear his Salk setup sounds like a plan.Bill is correct as both our wives are great to live with us going through our OBSESSION

Hey Bruce,

We should start an official NESSOC so no one steals the name. The only problem with my secret music account is that more is going out than there is going in. I think our wives are understanding to a certain extent. I just keep saying I could be in a strip club somewhere spending the money. I'm typing this with the Eagles Hotel California DVD-A cranked! I have to take advantage of having the house to myself.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #130 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Artist/Title Info: Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

Format: Hybrid - Stereo SACD

Genre: Pop/Rock

Label: ABKCO 882 303-2

I'm not a diehard Stones fan but still enjoy many of their albums. Let It Bleed is one of those albums being one of my favorite Stones albums. I was looking for an affordable copy of this SACD and finally found one. I found the SQ of this SACD to be excellent for a title released many years ago. I have read this is one of the Stones best sounding SACDs. The Depth and width of the soundstage is very good. I found the clarity and space of the acoustic guitars, bass and horns as well as the strings to be excellent. I'm glad I finally added this SACD to my collection. I want to add that the SHM-SACD of this title has not received the same positive reviews as the ABKCO SACD has.

1. Gimme Shelter
2. Love in Vain
3. Country Honk
4. Live With Me
5. Let It Bleed
6. Midnight Rambler
7. You Got the Silver
8. Monkey Man
9. You Can't Always Get What You Want

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/490

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 8.5 SQ - 8.5

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Boston Acoustics A7200 (Sherwood A-965 clone)
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #131 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I finally got around to adding the most recent reviews to the second post with all the other reviews. My apologies as I have been lacking in my thread updating duties as of late.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #132 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Djoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I finally got around to adding the most recent reviews to the second post with all the other reviews. My apologies as I have been lacking in my thread updating duties as of late.
Bill


As aways great review on the Stones, funny thing I own 4 of their sacd and I didn't care for them. Now I'm curious to hear this one.

We know your busy, and doing a great job on here, I've been spending lots more time in these type of threads, thus saving money in th elong run Just fun stuff.

Dan


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Djoel is online now  
post #133 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Cherylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

As aways great review on the Stones, funny thing I own 4 of their sacd and I didn't care for them. Now I'm curious to hear this one. Dan

When I went on a Stones SACD quest, I was also very impressed with Aftermath (UK). I have read elsewhere that the original West German first issue, the one with the dubious "Mastered By Mobile Fidelity" credit on the rear tray card, is the ultimate Aftermath experience. The trouble is actually finding one of those rare CDs for a reasonable price. In any case if you don't own the Aftermath (UK) SA-CD, try to buy it, it is a keeper.

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
Cherylandmike is offline  
post #134 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Member
 
Cherylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
On a related note if anyone here is impressed with the re-mastering that ABKCO did with the two channel Rolling Stones catalog, you should hear what they were capable of in 5.1. For a five spot you should be able to track down the 5.1 SA-CD remix of Sympathy For The Devil. I know it is only one song but it is a doozy. Doozy is a very technical term. You can also seek out the beautifuly remixed Sam Cooke....at the Copa. It is amazing what the remixing engineers were able to do with vintage remote live recordings. My system may be modest and my listening room is poorly shaped and untreated, but both of these multi-channel hybrid SA-CDs shine in my living room.

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
Cherylandmike is offline  
post #135 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Media Hostage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylandmike View Post

On a related note if anyone here is impressed with the re-mastering that ABKCO did with the two channel Rolling Stones catalog, you should hear what they were capable of in 5.1. For a five spot you should be able to track down the 5.1 SA-CD remix of Sympathy For The Devil. I know it is only one song but it is a doozy. Doozy is a very technical term. You can also seek out the beautifuly remixed Sam Cooke....at the Copa. It is amazing what the remixing engineers were able to do with vintage remote live recordings. My system may be modest and my listening room is poorly shaped and untreated, but both of these multi-channel hybrid SA-CDs shine in my living room.

+1 on Sam Cooke it has fantastic clarity and energy, makes you feel like you are there at the Copa.
Media Hostage is offline  
post #136 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylandmike View Post

You can also seek out the beautifuly remixed Sam Cooke....at the Copa. It is amazing what the remixing engineers were able to do with vintage remote live recordings. My system may be modest and my listening room is poorly shaped and untreated, but both of these multi-channel hybrid SA-CDs shine in my living room.

Mike,

Thanks for mentioning the Sam Cooke SACD. I will be ordering this one shortly.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #137 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Member
 
Cherylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Mike,

Thanks for mentioning the Sam Cooke SACD. I will be ordering this one shortly.

Bill

Your Welcome.

Please use caution when ordering the Sam Cooke...at the Copa. ABKCO did not change the catalog or UPC code when the digipak hybrid SA-CD was withdrawn in favor of the standard red book pcm stereo CD.

Try to confirm with the vendor or private seller that you are in fact purchasing a digipak edition. Like the 2003 Rolling Stones issues, if the title in question is NOT in a cardboard digipak then it isn't a SA-CD. When I was tracking down the Stones titles I would email the Amazon or eBay seller asking if the CD was in a traditonal jewel case or a cardbord digipak. Asking about SA-CD logo's and such is too confusing for the average dealer.

Regarding the Symapthy For The Devil remix, that is the onky ABKCO SA-CD that was sold in a traditional jewel case. Go figure?

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
Cherylandmike is offline  
post #138 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylandmike View Post

Your Welcome.

Please use caution when ordering the Sam Cooke...at the Copa. ABKCO did not change the catalog or UPC code when the digipak hybrid SA-CD was withdrawn in favor of the standard red book pcm stereo CD.

Try to confirm with the vendor or private seller that you are in fact purchasing a digipak edition. Like the 2003 Rolling Stones issues, if the title in question is NOT in a cardboard digipak then it isn't a SA-CD. When I was tracking down the Stones titles I would email the Amazon or eBay seller asking if the CD was in a traditonal jewel case or a cardbord digipak. Asking about SA-CD logo's and such is too confusing for the average dealer.

Regarding the Symapthy For The Devil remix, that is the onky ABKCO SA-CD that was sold in a traditional jewel case. Go figure?

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the ratings for the Sam Cooke SACD (which were very good) I checked prices on Amazon. The Amazon link does not indicate that it is the SACD. But when I went to Amazon.ca it shows as a SACD. So before I order it I will double check with the seller that it is the SACD.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #139 of 439 Old 10-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
voigtskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Atkinson NH
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Bruce,

We should start an official NESSOC so no one steals the name. The only problem with my secret music account is that more is going out than there is going in. I think our wives are understanding to a certain extent. I just keep saying I could be in a strip club somewhere spending the money. I'm typing this with the Eagles Hotel California DVD-A cranked! I have to take advantage of having the house to myself.

Bill

Hey Bill,
That is a GREAT idea to start an official NESSOC lets do it!!! I have been receiving many personal messages about the Salk Speakers and have told them to call Jim.I just ordered the Salk Song on the wall surround speaker and the wait is 4 weeks[This Sucks to wait] but the sound will be great.Jim is such a awesome owner to deal with and he is sending me 2 SALK badges for the speakers at NO charge.I think it is going to rain Thursday so it will be a SACD listening day for me.

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

 

voigtskins is offline  
post #140 of 439 Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Artist/Title Info: The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Format: Single Layer - Stereo/Multichannel SACD

Genre: Jazz

Label: Columbia CS 65122

I have this Brubeck title on RBCD that has a HDCD layer which sounds excellent. I have wanted this title on SACD for quite awhile as it has great reviews and I wanted to compare it to the RBCD. Although I could not find my RBCD copy this morning I am very impressed with the SQ of this SACD. I just listened to MCH layer of the complete SACD. The SQ is excellent and has great imaging and soundstage (width and depth). The clarity of the cymbals and the upright bass is very good. Of course Brubeck's piano sounds great with an added resolution than I recall with the RBCD. The output from the surrounds is bit subdued with what I would consider added ambiance at best. I was hoping to there was more output from the surrounds but I can live with it as is. I will add comments of the comparison to the RBCD when I find it.

1. Blue Rondo a la Turk
2. Strange Meadow Lark
3. Take Five
4. Three to get Ready
5. Kathy's Waltz
6. Everybody's Jumpin'
7. Pick Up Sticks

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/20

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 8.5 SQ - 8.0

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Boston Acoustics A7200 (Sherwood A-965 clone)
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #141 of 439 Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Artist/Title Info: Burton, Corea, Metheny, Haynes & Holland - Like Minds

Format: Hybrid - Stereo/Multichannel SACD

Genre: Jazz

Label: Concord 1029-6

I bought this SACD recently due to the allstar lineup and the low price. I listened to the MCH layer of the SACD and the SQ is outstanding IMO. The clarity and depth of all the instruments is excellent reaching outside of my speakers. I really focus on the cymbals when I'm trying to determine the SQ of a recording. Maybe this isn't a good thing but the clarity and life like sound of the cymbals on this SACD are what I really like to hear. If you are looking for a fine sounding jazz SACD at an affordable cost I highly recommend this one!

1. Question and Answer
2. Elucidation
3. Windows
4. Futures
5. Like Minds
6. Country Roads
7. Tears of Rain
8. Soon
9. For a Thousand Years
10. Straight Up and Down

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1349

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 8.5 SQ - 9.0

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Outlaw M2200s for LCR and Boston Acoustics A7200 for the surrounds
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #142 of 439 Old 10-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Orbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Artist/Title Info: The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five

Sorry to be a pedant, but the album title is Time Out. "Take Five" is one of the tracks.

Other than that, thanks for the detailed review. One of my favorite albums.
Orbert is offline  
post #143 of 439 Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Djoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Awesome review Bill you're on fire I can see you would have been that kid writer in the Almost Famous film, if we had this platform back in the day.

I think out of the two I'll take to purchased the Buton disc as it only cost 12 and change through Amazon

I want to see some bad reviews here and there so I don't go on a frenzy, and try to buy everything I see a review to

Thanks again for starting this thread.

Dan


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Djoel is online now  
post #144 of 439 Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbert View Post

Sorry to be a pedant, but the album title is Time Out. "Take Five" is one of the tracks.

Other than that, thanks for the detailed review. One of my favorite albums.

Orbert,

Not a problem as I appreciate that you let me know. It wouldn't be good for everyone looking for the SACD titled Take Five. I will edit the review to reflect the correct title.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #145 of 439 Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
[quote=Djoel;21072542]
Quote:
Awesome review Bill you're on fire I can see you would have been that kid writer in the Almost Famous film, if we had this platform back in the day.

Hey Dan,

Thanks. I think back in the day I had other things on my mind besides writing.

Quote:
I think out of the two I'll take to purchased the Burton disc as it only cost 12 and change through Amazon

I think its well worth the $12.00 (plus shipping). I really enjoy the Time Out SACD but it is hard to find at an affordable cost. I think you should look for the RBCD of Time Out as the one with the HDCD layer sounds excellent.

Quote:
I want to see some bad reviews here and there so I don't go on a frenzy, and try to buy everything I see a review to

I'll try to avoid buying any bad SACD/DVD-As so there will be no bad reviews. I'll only review SACD/DVD-As under $20.00 for awhile so your wallet can recover.

Quote:
Thanks again for starting this thread.

My pleasure but it is everyone else that has helped even more so with excellent reviews and great suggestions for SACD/DVD-As.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #146 of 439 Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Artist/Title Info: Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

I want to add that the SHM-SACD of this title has not received the same positive reviews as the ABKCO SACD has.


I think I need to try this release. I just listened to SHM version and was very disappointed with sound quality. Many regular CDs made from records of the same age have much better sound. It is not worth buying it.
ap1 is online now  
post #147 of 439 Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

I think I need to try this release. I just listened to SHM version and was very disappointed with sound quality. Many regular CDs made from records of the same age have much better sound. It is not worth buying it.

Thats too bad as the SHM-SACDs are not cheap. The ABKCO version can be found for under $15.00 if you look around. The issue I have with the SHM-SACDs besides the cost is that inconsistent SQ from title to title. That will happen with any format but you would think SHM-SACDs would use the highest quality mastering available. Let It Bleed is a perfect example as the mastering of the ABKCO is from what I read much better than that of the SHM-SACD.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #148 of 439 Old 10-14-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Artist/Title Info: Stan Getz Quartet - Pure Getz

Format: Hybrid - Stereo/Multichannel SACD

Genre: Jazz

Label: Concord Records SACD-1000-6

This title was mentioned a number of times when the discussion of what were the best Jazz SACDs available. So I was fortunate to come across a mint copy and it is one of the best sounding MCH SACDs I own. Stan Getz is known as one of the all-time best tenor saxophonists. Not being well versed in jazz I would say this is a traditional jazz recording. One of the reviews on www.sa-cd.net said it best with "remarkably clear making you feel like your right in the recording studio with Getz and his quartet". I agree with these thoughts totally.

I put this SACD on today and then was going to do a few things around the house. But I didn't get far as I just sat down and cranked the volume. The music as well as the SQ is outstanding. The soundstage has great depth and extends outside of my speakers. The surrounds add just the right amount of ambiance and the bass from the sub is so well defined. Getz' sax and James McNeely's piano compliment each other very well. The one thing I noticed is how low the volume is. The loudest I normally listen to music is -15 with my 886. But I had it up to -10 and could have gone higher. I believe this has no bearing on the quality of the recording just that I found the volume lower than many other MCH SACDs I own.

Although Pure Getz is totally different music than Roxy Music's Avalon or Beck's Sea Change SACDs the SQ is right up there with those SACDs in my opinion. I highly recommend this SACD to jazz lovers or those that just enjoy excellent sounding music.

1. On The Up And Up
2. Blood Count
3. Very Early
4. Sippin' At Bell's
5. I Wish I Knew
6. Come Rain Or Come Shine
7. Tempus Fugit

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1078

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 9.0 SQ - 9.5

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Outlaw M2200s for LCR and Boston Acoustics A7200 for the surrounds
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #149 of 439 Old 10-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
brockwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunbury, PA
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bill ^

Great review. After reading your review this is a sacd that I want to own. When I looked at the sa-cd.net link your provided I noticed they had the amazon.com price at about 200 dollars. That seems just a bit steep for any title IMO. If you don't mind sharing how much did u snag this title for?

My SACD Collection
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DVD-A Collection
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brockwilt is offline  
post #150 of 439 Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockwilt View Post

Bill ^

Great review. After reading your review this is a sacd that I want to own. When I looked at the sa-cd.net link your provided I noticed they had the amazon.com price at about 200 dollars. That seems just a bit steep for any title IMO. If you don't mind sharing how much did u snag this title for?

Hey Brock,

Thanks. I was able to find Pure Getz for under $50.00 shipped. I certainly got lucky on that one. Below is a link to the Acoustic Sounds site that shows the Pure Getz SACD for $17.99. Of course it is "back ordered" but I doubt they will ever get it in stock. I put it on my wish as well as some other back ordered OOP SACDs on their site. My thoughts are you never know and that they could be reissued.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/11...tichannel_SACD

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off