Sound Quality/Music Reviews and Comments on SACD/DVD-A - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 439 Old 10-27-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Artist/Title Info: Art Pepper: Gettin' Together!

Format: Hybrid - Stereo SACD

Genre: Jazz

Label: Contemporary CSA-7573-6

I have seen Art Pepper's SACDs quite often and had not bought any till recently. I bought both Gettin' Together! and Modern Jazz Classics SACDs last week as they were both priced quite low. I checked the sa-cd.net ratings before opening them and it was five stars for both. I listened to Modern Classics first and was very impressed with the music and the SQ of a recording from 1959. I had time to listen to Gettin' Together yesterday and I was just as impressed if not more so when compared to Modern Classics.

Gettin' Together is Art Pepper and four band members where Modern Classics is many musicians with more of a big band type jazz sound to it. Another reason I prefer Gettin' Together is that Wynton Kelly is playing the piano where there is no piano on Modern Classics. I throughly enjoyed listening to Gettin' Together as the music of this quartet and the SQ is just amazing for a recording from 1960. The placement of all the different players and the soundstage depth as well as the width is excellent.

I was thinking that it is too bad that Miles Davis' landmark album Kind Of Blue does not have this level of SQ. Then I read the one review on sa-cd.net for Gettin' Together and the same thoughts are mentioned. A quote from the review: "While Columbia's Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" is a wonderful album, and has essentially the same rhythm section of Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, & Jimmie Cobb, it pales in comparison in terms of sonic perfection." I have Kind Of Blue on RBCD as well as SACD and was always unimpressed with the SQ of both. The music itself is another story without a doubt.

I highly recommend these SACDs especially when you consider the low prices of both. I ordered three more SACDs from Acoustic Sounds with each priced at $12.50. The three are So In Love, The Intimate Art Pepper and New York Album. All three are Analogue Production SACDs that were remastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. They are supposed to sound outstanding as well and I can't wait to hear them when they arrive.

1. Whims of Chambers
2. Bijou the Poodle
3. Why Are We Afraid?
4. Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise
5. Rhythm-a-ning
6. Diane
7. Gettin’ Together
8. Gettin’ Together (alternate)
9. The Way You Look Tonight

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2542

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 8.5 SQ - 9.0

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Outlaw M2200s for LCR and Boston Acoustics A7200 for the surrounds
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 439 Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I purchased Chicago II on dvd-a in 2005. I only have a 2.0 setup, but I was really pleased with it. I bought it because the 2003 remaster was disappointing (3rd Gen masters). There's a couple bits that were mixed out of the original stereo release that were nice to hear. The one letdown was at the end of "Now More Than Ever" with the trombone mixed a LOT softer than the sax & trumpet at 56 seconds in. Aside from that, it was worthwhile purchase.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #153 of 439 Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

I purchased Chicago II on dvd-a in 2005. I only have a 2.0 setup, but I was really pleased with it. I bought it because the 2003 remaster was disappointing (3rd Gen masters). There's a couple bits that were mixed out of the original stereo release that were nice to hear. The one letdown was at the end of "Now More Than Ever" with the trombone mixed a LOT softer than the sax & trumpet at 56 seconds in. Aside from that, it was worthwhile purchase.

That works Chicago II in 2.0...I just got Chicago 5 in 5.1

And I hear in 360 deg

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #154 of 439 Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

That works Chicago II in 2.0...I just got Chicago 5 in 5.1

And I hear in 360 deg

I debated on getting V but could only afford one. I got II cos I hated the new remaster's SQ. I did take II to a friend's house who had a 5.1 setup, put on "25 Or 6 To 4" to test it out. Sounded damn good. I wonder if the band did a Quad mix for II back then. I heard bits of the CTA Quad mix online and that sounded trippy as heck.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #155 of 439 Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

SycamoreSeej,

Thanks for your thoughts on the Chicago DVD-A. I do not have any music from Chicago but I'll keep my eyes open. If your room and gear allows it you really should try SACD/DVD-As in multi-channel. It really does not require 3-5 more ears.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #156 of 439 Old 11-07-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

SycamoreSeej,

Thanks for your thoughts on the Chicago DVD-A. I do not have any music from Chicago but I'll keep my eyes open. If your room and gear allows it you really should try SACD/DVD-As in multi-channel. It really does not require 3-5 more ears.

Bill

Right now my living room (heck, my whole apartment) doesn't have the room for a 5.1 setup, as much as I'd like to upgrade one day. I'm lucky I was able to get a decent 2.0 setup with what I had space for (see pics in "look at my setup" thread). I'll keep that in mind for the next place I move to.

post #157 of 439 Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Artist/Title Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
Format:SACD
Genre:Rock
Label:Emi Records
I have been waiting for this SACD for years and it did not let me down.This SACD is on par with all the best recording[Brothers In Arms,DSOTM,BECK,AVALON and the other great SACD.The sound from left to center to right is great but the sound from the surrounds is amazing and is directed with the right ambience to both channels.This recording sounds as if it was recorded in 2011 with all the instruments sounding LIVE in the room.The sound from the surrounds have a few great surprises as I will not go into it as one can judge for themselves.I loved the flow of the music from one speaker to the others as only Pink Floyd does best in their music.I wish they would have lasted longer as a band but in this SACD they are at the top of their game.If you are a Pink Floyd fan run out to buy this disc even at the price and be in music heaven for 1 hour.

Rating[Scale 1-10] Music/9 -SQ/10
System Info:
Source:Oppo-95 Pre Pro:Onkyo 3008
Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 XPA-5
Fr/Fl:Salk Song Towers
Center:Salk Song Center
Surrounds:Salk Song Surround1
Surround Location:Side Wall-Rear LR
Sub:Epik Empire
Room: Inclosed 18W/23L
Shine On you Crazy Diamond [Part 1-5]
Welcome to The Machine
Wish You were Hear
Shine On You Crazy Diamond [6-9] Each Song Is Fantastic In Surround

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #158 of 439 Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

Artist/Title Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
Format:SACD
Genre:Rock
Label:Emi Records
I have been waiting for this SACD for years and it did not let me down.This SACD is on par with all the best recording[Brothers In Arms,DSOTM,BECK,AVALON and the other great SACD.The sound from left to center to right is great but the sound from the surrounds is amazing and is directed with the right ambience to both channels.This recording sounds as if it was recorded in 2011 with all the instruments sounding LIVE in the room.The sound from the surrounds have a few great surprises as I will not go into it as one can judge for themselves.I loved the flow of the music from one speaker to the others as only Pink Floyd does best in their music.I wish they would have lasted longer as a band but in this SACD they are at the top of their game.If you are a Pink Floyd fan run out to buy this disc even at the price and be in music heaven for 1 hour.

Rating[Scale 1-10] Music/9 -SQ/10
System Info:
Source:Oppo-95 Pre Pro:Onkyo 3008
Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 XPA-5
Fr/Fl:Salk Song Towers
Center:Salk Song Center
Surrounds:Salk Song Surround1
Surround Location:Side Wall-Rear LR
Sub:Epik Empire
Room: Inclosed 18W/23L
Shine On you Crazy Diamond [Part 1-5]
Welcome to The Machine
Wish You were Hear
Shine On You Crazy Diamond [6-9] Each Song Is Fantastic In Surround

Bruce,

Thanks for the great review. I'll add it to the post with all the other reviews.

Bill

post #159 of 439 Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i just nabbed a copy of the theme from shaft sacd and have since given it a couple listens. first off i have to say i'm really not a soundtrack guy. i almost never buy soundtrack cd's. but i heard this one had very good sound quality and i like the title song a lot so i figured i'd give it a roll as long as i could find it for a decent price. i've been window shopping for this for probly close to two years and never pulled the trigger because it was always going for >$70 and that was just too much for me. so i finally found one for $40 which, although still pretty pricey, i thought if i didn't like it i could just sell it back. anyway, on to the review
for some reason i assumed this was 5.1. after putting it in, i realized it wasn't so right off the bat i was a little disappointed. buuuuuuttttttttttt...........after listening to it for a while, i began to appreciate that this disc really did sound great. i love the title song and it sounds very nice. as you may or may not know, the movie is action but has some romance mixed in as well. the soundtrack's 15 tracks reflect that. there are several lively tunes as well as some soulful r&b. very cool tunes. the two words that come to mind: groovy and funky. fyi, only 3 tunes have vocals.

sound quality - 9.25
can't really give a surround mix rating because there isn't anything in the surrounds but the soundstage is really nice.
post #160 of 439 Old 11-19-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

i just nabbed a copy of the theme from shaft sacd and have since given it a couple listens. first off i have to say i'm really not a soundtrack guy. i almost never buy soundtrack cd's. but i heard this one had very good sound quality and i like the title song a lot so i figured i'd give it a roll as long as i could find it for a decent price. i've been window shopping for this for probly close to two years and never pulled the trigger because it was always going for >$70 and that was just too much for me. so i finally found one for $40 which, although still pretty pricey, i thought if i didn't like it i could just sell it back. anyway, on to the review
for some reason i assumed this was 5.1. after putting it in, i realized it wasn't so right off the bat i was a little disappointed. buuuuuuttttttttttt...........after listening to it for a while, i began to appreciate that this disc really did sound great. i love the title song and it sounds very nice. as you may or may not know, the movie is action but has some romance mixed in as well. the soundtrack's 15 tracks reflect that. there are several lively tunes as well as some soulful r&b. very cool tunes. the two words that come to mind: groovy and funky. fyi, only 3 tunes have vocals.

sound quality - 9.25
can't really give a surround mix rating because there isn't anything in the surrounds but the soundstage is really nice.

grub,

Thanks for the great review. I'll add it to the post with the other reviews. The Shaft -Soundtrack is very highly rated over at sa-cd.net. I'll keep my eyes open for a reasonably priced copy.

Bill

post #161 of 439 Old 11-19-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Artist/Title Info: Mark Knopfler: Sailing To Philadelphia

Format: DVD-Audio Stereo/5.1

Genre: Rock

Label: Warner Bros / Wea

I have been a huge Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler fan for years. I have just about all of MK's solo albums and they are all excellent. Sailing To Philadelphia is one of my favotites and when I saw it on DVD-A I bought a copy right away. I wished I bought five copies as I paid about $12.00 new shipped from Amazon last year and the cost is up to over $89.95 new on Amazon.

I played the 5.1 layer of STP straight through earlier today and I forgot how incredible this disc sounds. Another excellent 5.1 mix by Bob Ludwig. I found that the surrounds were used quite well without being overdone. A very immersive mix that just seemed to fill my whole listening room. So many great tunes but I would say Speedway At Nazareth and Silvertown Blues are among my favorites. I highly recommend this DVD-A which also comes with a HDCD as well. If one can find a copy at a reasonable cost don't pass it up.

1. What It Is
2. Sailing to Philadelphia
3. Who's Your Baby Now
4. Baloney Again
5. The Last Laugh
6. Do America
7. El Macho
8. Prairie Wedding
9. Wanderlust
10. Speedway At Nazareth
11. Junkie Doll
12. Silvertown Blues
13. Sands of Nevada

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 9.0 SQ - 9.0

System Info:
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Amplification: Boston Acoustics A7200
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill

post #162 of 439 Old 11-20-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I was going to suggest the Mark Knopfler Shangri La DVD-A but that is even more expensive (new) than the Sailing To Philadelphia DVD-A.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

I have the Shangri La DVD-A and the SACD as well. So once again I'm glad I grabbed the DVD-A as the price at the time was quite low. I just listened to a few tracks from the Shangri La DVD-A and it sounds excellent as well. I have not compared the DVD-A to the SACD but I would assume they sound very similar.

Bill

post #163 of 439 Old 11-20-2011, 02:42 PM

Bill is correct as I have both discs and they sound Fantastic using 5.1 surround.The side info is mixed with just enough sound so it is NOT overwelming and the fronts sound natural.

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #164 of 439 Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

i have both shangri-la and sailing to philadelphia and agree; they are two of the best sounding dvd-a's that i own. wow, i didn't realize they were so expensive now.
post #165 of 439 Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

i have both shangri-la and sailing to philadelphia and agree; they are two of the best sounding dvd-a's that i own. wow, i didn't realize they were so expensive now.

I agree that both DVD-As sound excellent and are also among the best sounding DVD-As I own as well. The crazy prices must be due to both DVD-As being OOP. At least with Shangri La you can buy the SACD but one will miss out on the excellent extras included with the DVD-A. There was a listing on ebay yesterday for a new Sailing To Philadelphia DVD-A. It ended at $28.49 shipped which it appears someone got a great deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230700506024...84.m1438.l2649

Bill

post #166 of 439 Old 12-09-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Artist/Title Info: Nat "King" Cole: Where Did Everyone Go?

Format: Hybrid Stereo/Multichannel

Genre: Vocal

Label: Analogue Productions CAPP 1859 SA

I would have never bought any of the Nat King Cole SACDs if it were not for the strong recomendations from Steve Hoffman over at the SH forum. I figured I would try one of these SACDs from Analogue Productions to see what all the talk was about. Well I'm certainly not a NKC expert but the music content and the SQ from these AP SACDs is outstanding. I currently have three of NKC's SACDs that being Love Is The Thing, The Very Thought Of You and Where Did Everyone Go?. I have After Midnight on backorder and will be ordering The Nat King Cole Story after the holidays.

I listened to Where Did Everyone Go? the other day with the thought of just listening to a few tracks to see if the SQ of this SACD was as good as the others I have. Well once I started listening I got pulled into the songs by Nat's voice and the excellent SQ of this recording from 1963. I listened to the 3CH MCH mix and it just filled my room with lush sound. The songs on this album are pop standards of lost love and confessions to the local bartender. Might sound sad in a way but I did not feel that way as Nat worked his vocal magic through each song. The layered string arrangements accompanying Nat's vocals sound excellent in both width and depth.

I have no NKC CDs to compare to the SACDs but the SQ of all the NKC SACDs I own are outstanding. It really is a fine example of the mastering magic that Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray are capable of. I highly recommend these AP SACDs especially at the current prices. Once these titles go OOP the prices will double or triple in cost.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/6961

System Info:
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using HDMI w/Audyssey)

Bill

post #167 of 439 Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Bill, nice review of the NKC title, it has me intrigued. I hope this isn't off topic but I noticed you switched from using the MCH inputs to HDMI/Audessy. I'm curious, what differences did you notice if any?
post #168 of 439 Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4 View Post

Hi Bill, nice review of the NKC title, it has me intrigued. I hope this isn't off topic but I noticed you switched from using the MCH inputs to HDMI/Audessy. I'm curious, what differences did you notice if any?

Thanks. If you can try to pick up at least one of the NKC SACDs to see what you think.

You are very observant as you picked up on the change from MCH analog to HDMI with Audyssey. I have been doing comparisons between MCH analog and HDMI with Audyssey recently. When I was listening to "Where Did Everyone Go?" I used HDMI. I am finding (this week anyhow) that with Audyssey the soundstage is opening up a bit over using MCH analog. This could change like the weather as a friend of mine recently pointed out. When I said my preference for MCH music was now to use HDMI with Audyssey not analog he said "Didn't you say that six months ago?". In other words I did a total 180.

Bill

post #169 of 439 Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Wow I'm so happy I grabbed a few NKC just recently, and have pointed out on how well these recording infused with lush sounds can't wait to get a listen in.

Thanks for the great review Bill.

DJoel
post #170 of 439 Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Artist/Title Info: Patricia Barber - Cafe' Blue

Format: Hybrid Stereo

Genre: Jazz

Label: Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 2002

I had given up trying to buy the Cafe' Blue SACD as the prices are very high and it isn't my favorite PB title. I have the Gold HDCD version which sounds excellent in its own right. But I was offered the SACD for a very fair price and couldn't resist as this title completes my PB SACD collection.

The moment the first track What A Shame started playing I was amazed at the SQ of this 2CH SACD. The width and depth of the soundstage is incredible. The depth is what really amazed me as the music takes on a three dimensional quality to it. PB's vocals fill the center of my room with a "like you are there" presence. The second track Mourning Grace has an incredible life like quality to the cymbals that again puts you right there.

I would say this is more than just a jazz album with a female singer playing the piano. The band that plays with PB is excellent and the music seems like a fusion of rock and jazz. I would say at the normal price of $100 and up for the SACD it is quite steep. The Gold HDCD can be bought from importcds for around $22.00. I hope to have the time in the near future to do a comparison between the SACD and the Gold HDCD. I'm very happy I was able to add this title to my SACD collection. I would say it is one of the best if not the best sounding 2CH SACDs I own.

1. What a Shame
2. Mourning Grace
3. The Thrill Is Gone
4. Romanesque
5. Yellow Car III
6. Wood Is a Pleasant Thing to Think About
7. Inchworm
8. Ode to Billy Joe
9. Too Rich for My Blood
10. A Taste of Honey
11. Nardis
12. Manha de Carnaval

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/536

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 8.5 SQ - 9.5

System Info:
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using HDMI w/Audyssey)

Bill

post #171 of 439 Old 12-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^

Nice review Bill...how would you say this compairs to Modern Cool or the other PB MFSLs?

Martin

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #172 of 439 Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

^^^^

Nice review Bill...how would you say this compairs to Modern Cool or the other PB MFSLs?

Thanks Martin. I will have to play a few of the other PB SACDs to see how Cafe' Blue compares to them. It is just tough to get the house to myself to have the time to do this stuff. I really want to compare the HDCD version of Cafe' Blue to the SACD as well. I will post my thoughts when I get this done. Maybe tomorrow afternoon as everyone is going X-mas shopping but me.

Bill

post #173 of 439 Old 12-22-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Artist/Title Info: Junior Wells: Come On In This House

Format: Hybrid Multi-Channel/Stereo

Genre: Blues

Label: Telarc SACD-63395

I found this Junior Wells SACD at a local record shop for $9.99 and thought it might be an interesting title to have. This album was recorded in 1996 and is a collection of songs from some blues masters as well as a song from Tracy Chapman. What really drew me to this title was the lineup of slide guitarists that back up Junior. Some of these players I have heard of being Derek Trucks, Tab Benoit and Sonny Landreth. The others I have not heard of but all play very well on the various songs they are on.

Whether you are familair with Junior Wells and are a blues fan or not I believe one would really enjoy the music on this album. The SQ is excellent with an almost live feel to it with great sonics. As one of the sa-cd.net reviews mention this recording has an "amazingly warm and natural sound" to it. I only listened to the multi-channel mix and it is excellent with a nice use of the surrounds without going overboard.

So I would highly recommend this SACD especially when it can be found at very reasonable cost. I have found a number of low cost SACDs recently from Telarc, Headsup and Fanatasy at a few local record stores in my area.

1. What My Momma Told Me / That's All Right
2. Why Are People Like That?
3. Trust My Baby
4. Million Years Blues
5. Give Me One Reason
6. Ships On The Ocean
7. She Wants To Sell My Monkey
8. So Glad You're Mine
9. Mystery Train
10. I'm Gonna Move To Kansas City
11. King Fish Blues
12. You Better Watch Yourself
13. Come On In This House
14. The Goat

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/447

System Info:
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using 5.1 analog input)

Bill

post #174 of 439 Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

This is one of my favorite blues SACDs, along with his Hoodoo Man Blues 2.0 SACD. So life like I feel I need to offer him a beer and applaud after each tune.

Another must have is Muddy Waters Folk Singer. Rereleased from Analogue Productions so it's available; not $9.99 available, but back to normal $30 new release levels...link

Martin

post #175 of 439 Old 12-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Hey Bill,
You have changed your inputs to Analog from HDMI!!!! I had hoped you would do that change. Are you staying with this setup?

post #176 of 439 Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

Hey Bill,
You have changed your inputs to Analog from HDMI!!!! I had hoped you would do that change. Are you staying with this setup?

Hey Bruce,

I'm worse than a Democrat from Massachusetts. I keep flip flopping back and forth between analog and HDMI. For me it depends on the weather and which way the wind is blowing. Actually I have found with some recordings I like 5.1 analog and with others I prefer HDMI with Audyssey. Nothing scientific about this at all.

Bill

post #177 of 439 Old 12-25-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Artist: Carole King
Title: The Carnegie Hall Concert
Label/Yr: MoFi 2011
Format: Hybrid SACD Stereo
Rating Scale: 1 – 10 Ascending
Recording: 7 (live)
Surround Mix: N/A
Content: 8 (live)
Style: pop piano/vocal singer songwriter
Review: Any CK fans should stop reading this review and just buy this thoroughly enjoyable disc. I got this as “Tapestry” SACD is OOP expensive (usu over $70) and reportedly has distorted vocals on some tracks. This SACD is still commonly available for $20 and I love these classic tunes, as do many of m-my generation. I don’t have the original 2008 CD to compare but this remaster/remix is reported to be far superior irt SQ. I do have a ‘99 Ode/Sony “remaster” pressing of Tapestry that I pulled out to compare as this performance includes simplified arrangements of many of her big hits off Tapestry-it's SQ is not bad as CDs go, but that ain't sayin much.

On this SACD, CK’s voice is at times mixed a bit loud for my taste, but is very well recorded with a nice clarity, immediacy and room ambiance/reverb. I can easily imagine this is quite close to what it might’ve been like sitting in Carnegie Hall. How do you get there, you ask? Practice, practice, practice. Well, they didn’t. The strings are great but the other accompaniments are off at times. But so what? This is live, so not as polished as studio stuff with all the retakes etc. She is a bit off pitch at times and gets hoarse as the night wears on. However, these are her tunes done just as she created them with minimal adornment (I imagine these are quite a bit like the demos she created) and it is quite special. She is enthusiastic, even improvises a bit and as the night goes on everyone has a good time, as did I listening to this disc. The piano is clean (but not good fidelity) and surprise guest James Taylor’s guitar and voice is pretty well recorded. But I assume this disc is not superb irt instrument detail, imaging, balance and soundstage overall because of limitations of the original tapes. I agreee with the critiques of the SQ on SA-CD.net.

System Info: 2.2 (5.2/7.2)
Player: Denon BDP A100 (4010) via DenonLink3
AVR: Denon A100
Amplification: Emotiva XPA5
L/R: Dali Helicon 400 (9' from each other and MLP)
CC: N/A Dali Helicon c200
Surrounds: N/A Dali Helicon w200-direct firing (ignore the matching pair used as DSX wides for film)
Surround angle from MLP: 105°
Subs: Velodyne DD10 X2 front and back midwall placement ala Welti
DSP: Audyssey XT32 with Pro calibration ON, mains xover=40Hz
Room: 16’X22’ w/ 8’ walls arching to vaulted 12’ceiling (3500 cu’) family room/HT/Music w/ no formal treatments
LL

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #178 of 439 Old 12-25-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a 3 for 1 combo review but I invite anyone who would like to review any of these in more detail to do so.
Artist: James Taylor
Title: JT, Dad Loves His Work, Flag
Label/Yr: MoFi 2011
Format: Stereo Hybrid SACD
Recording: 9 (yeah I’m tough)
Content: 10 (yeah I’m a JT fan)
Style: Do you have to ask? OK, pop/country singer songwriter guitarist
Review: These 3 are all superb MoFi recent releases commonly available at very reasonable prices (around $20 and up) in nice “Numbered Limited Edition Mini-LP-Style Packaging”. The detail, imaging, soundstage, dynamics and noise floor are very good and really bring this wonderful music alive. Needless to say, MoFi knows how to get the most out of old tapes and the SACD medium. For more details, also see the top-rated reviews on SA-CD.net and detailed if slightly overblown descriptions on the MoFi website.

I can’t imagine it makes sense from a SQ perspective for anyone to pay way more for the old used Sony SACD versions. I don’t have any other version of any of these to compare to. But just for fun I pulled out a CD of “Hourglass”, Frank Fillipetti producer & engineer (Frank's an Audyssey fan, see this) which sounds quite amazing for a RBCD (highly recommended and very inexpensive). And I pulled out the Audio Fidelity 24Kt Gold “Sweet Baby James” which is also pretty nice (also recommended, but usu around $20). IMO Flag is my least fav of any of the 5 works discussed herein artistically.

Surrounds: N/A Dali Helicon w200-direct firing (ignore the matching pair used as DSX wides for film)
Subs: Velodyne DD10 X2
Room: 16’X22’ w/ 8’ walls arching to vaulted 12’ceiling (3500 cu’) family room/HT/Music w/ no formal treatments

post #179 of 439 Old 12-25-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Artist: Alison Krauss
Title: Forget About It
Label/Yr: Rounder 2001
Format: Stereo Hybrid SACD
Recording: 10
Content: 10 (yeah I’m a fan)
Style: pop/country

Review: This is my new favorite SACD, well at least until I get a copy of AK's "New Favorite" SACD. This disc displays production values, recording skill and artistry at pretty much the highest level IMO. Unfortunately AK's SACDs are OOP and this one rarely goes for less than $90, and is commonly listed much higher. AK has been adamant about great SQ on her discs going back a long way, and even her redbook CDs sound remarkably good for RBCDs. This unique style of acoustic music is like classical music in that it is best suited to a HiRez format so the fine details of the instruments and her amazingly delicate voice with such dynamic range and can be faithfully reproduced. And they are- her singing is enchanting and Jerry Douglas's dobro playing is nothing short of world-class amazing. Yes the usual Union Station crew is all here too, tight and tasteful as always. If you have any concern because of their roots in Bluegrass, set them aside and open your ears. The detail, imaging, soundstage, dynamics and noise floor are about as good as it gets and the performances are nuanced and inspired. What can I say, this disc is worth every penny. BTW, many of the songs off this and "New Favorite" can be found on a totally delightful and inexpensive (under $15) high SQ concert DVD titled "Alison Krauss & Union Station Live" which I highly recommend as well.

Subs: Velodyne DD10 X2

post #180 of 439 Old 12-25-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SoM,

Excellent reviews! Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on these great SACD titles. I will link them to the #2 post with the other reviews tomorrow. I'm all done after a wonderful Christmas spent with family and too much good food.

Bill

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page