Sound Quality/Music Reviews and Comments on SACD/DVD-A - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 439 Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
What happen to all the reviews? I came in here thinking there was an upsurge (Post counts) of reviews, but nothing! Just kidding great information as always.

Djoel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 439 Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Fantastic can't wait to get this one, ordered it from ebay as well and looking forward to playing this one. Thanks for the great review Bill.

Dan

Thanks to Bill I just purchased this SACD and the 5.1 sound is fantastic using the sides in a great way unlike many other recordings.I am not that into Jazz BUT this disc made me a fan.The price was $9.99 and was unopened such a great deal!! Thanks Bill

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #213 of 439 Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ok. While my old Yamaha RX-V457 is pre-HDMI and only 5.1, it may be the only AVR that can say the following:

1) Its multichannel analog inputs get the benefit of the speaker distance and bass management settings in the AVR - and each speaker's distance can be set independently - important to me because my surrounds are at different distances from the main listening position.

That means that I don't have to make those adjustments in each player as well as in the receiver any time I move the speakers or the couch. The only adjustment I make in the players is to trim the center and surround channels down by 1 db because I Y the FL and FR output of my passive Phillips switchbox into the stereo "DVD" jacks on the AVR as well as the multichannel input, putting more of a load on those two channels and thus making them 1db lower than the other channels. The trim setting in the players compensates for this.

Y-ing the main channels this way lets me play stereo soundtracks - like the PCM tracks on DVDs - out of the surrounds as well as the fronts, since that's an available setting on the AVR.

and

2) Setup can be accomplished entirely with the front-panel display on the AVR and a sound pressure level meter - no need to use my projector to navigate menus. I don't trust autosetup programs and prefer to leave the tone controls at "flat."

Incidentally, I don't think my Denon 2910 is a particularly high-end model - when I got it new eight years ago it cost under $800 - including a five-year extended warranty.

I'm a "budget audiophile" - if that isn't an oxymoron. I'm a believer in "appropriate technology" like my passive switchbox, my RX-V457, and 5.1 - I can't hear speakers positioned behind me when they're set to the correct volume, so why bother with them?

I'm intrigued by the 93's ability to play FLAC files from data DVDs.

By the way, I did take the suggestion to cross-post my question in the Oppo 93 thread. It's a day later, lots of things have been posted there since, and they're onto a new page already - and no one there even acknowledged my question.

post #214 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 AM

BUMP! back to the scheduled context of this thread please
post #215 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

^^^^

Nice review Bill...how would you say this compairs to Modern Cool or the other PB MFSLs?

Having all five of PB's MFSL SACD's (4 studio and 1 live), It's my opinion that all studio editions were recorded and then remastered to equivalent standards. I simply can't pick one that surpasses the other on all aspects of recording evaluations.

Perhaps only the Nightclub album could get a "B+" rating for it's acoustic bass, which isn't as tight in the low-end than that of the other recordings. I might add that on many of her more recent studio albums, PB has musicians located in different rooms for recording purposes.

The Companion live album is one that we can't really compare to the studio ones, other than to say they were quite successful in recreating the club-like sound and atmosphere. There is less depth in the sound stage however, the musicians seem like they were all standing on a small stage area for that venue.

The improvement in sound from the SACD layer over the redbook one on all five albums is quite evident on my system BTW.
post #216 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

What happen to all the reviews? I came in here thinking there was an upsurge (Post counts) of reviews, but nothing! Just kidding great information as always.

Djoel

Hey Dan,

You've been slacking off so lets get some reviews going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

Thanks to Bill I just purchased this SACD and the 5.1 sound is fantastic using the sides in a great way unlike many other recordings.I am not that into Jazz BUT this disc made me a fan.The price was $9.99 and was unopened such a great deal!! Thanks Bill

Hey Bruce,

My pleasure. I'm glad you are enjoying the Gene Harris / Scott Hamilton "At Last" SACD. I thought it was great music with an excellent 5.1 mix. Can't beat the price either. Too bad there are not more SACDs of the same musical quality at similar prices.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #217 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s View Post

BUMP! back to the scheduled context of this thread please

roadster,

It looks like we are back on course.

Quote:

Having all five of PB's MFSL SACD's (4 studio and 1 live), It's my opinion that all studio editions were recorded and then remastered to equivalent standards. I simply can't pick one that surpasses the other on all aspects of recording evaluations.

Perhaps only the Nightclub album could get a "B+" rating for it's acoustic bass, which isn't as tight in the low-end than that of the other recordings. I might add that on many of her more recent studio albums, PB has musicians located in different rooms for recording purposes.

The Companion live album is one that we can't really compare to the studio ones, other than to say they were quite successful in recreating the club-like sound and atmosphere. There is less depth in the sound stage however, the musicians seem like they were all standing on a small stage area for that venue.

The improvement in sound from the SACD layer over the redbook one on all five albums is quite evident on my system BTW.

I have these SACDs as well and Cafe' Blue would get my nod as the best sounding of the five. I feel that even the RBCDs sound very good although I agree that the SACDs take the SQ to the next level. By the way you have a very nice system and room there!

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #218 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Dan,

You've been slacking off so lets get some reviews going. Bill

Sorry boss I have a bad case of writers block , hey how about a little incentive like a cash advance I'm sure that would cure a few things, like this darn itch wanting to buy every single cool music on sight

Dan
post #219 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry boss I have a bad case of writers block , hey how about a little incentive like a cash advance I'm sure that would cure a few things, like this darn itch wanting to buy every single cool music on sight

Dan

Checks in the mail............ now lets crank out a few reviews.

Bill

post #220 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:

I have these SACDs as well and Cafe' Blue would get my nod as the best sounding of the five. I feel that even the RBCDs sound very good although I agree that the SACDs take the SQ to the next level. By the way you have a very nice system and room there! Bill

Thanks! BTW, imagine how much these 5 SACD's are worth on the used market today, if sold together
post #221 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks! BTW, imagine how much these 5 SACD's are worth on the used market today, if sold together

There was a seller on ebay recently that was selling all five sealed and also had a set of used ones as well. If I recall he was asking $599.00 for the sealed set and $499.00 for the used set. I was lucky in that I believe I paid around $275.00 for all five.

Bill

post #222 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:

There was a seller on ebay recently that was selling all five sealed and also had a set of used ones as well. If I recall he was asking $599.00 for the sealed set and $499.00 for the used set. I was lucky in that I believe I paid around $275.00 for all five.

Bill

$599.00 sealed is a killer deal in today's market for those. (I paid $29.95 each for my first four, $42.00 for Verse).
post #223 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

$599.00 sealed is a killer deal in today's market for those. (I paid $29.95 each for my first four, $42.00 for Verse).

I don't think I would call it a killer deal as that is $120.00 a disc. A few months ago Music Direct had three of PB's SACDs for $50-60 new. I bought Companion there for $50 which is still a lot for one SACD. As a matter of fact MD still has Verse in stock for $60.

Bill

post #224 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Nice theater Roadster!... looks like "your system" has more than enough ability to resolve the differences.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #225 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:

I don't think I would call it a killer deal as that is $120.00 a disc. A few months ago Music Direct had three of PB's SACDs for $50-60 new. I bought Companion there for $50 which is still a lot for one SACD. As a matter of fact MD still has Verse in stock for $60.

Bill

Intersting, I'm surprised to learn that more than a rare one actually pops up on the market anymore.
post #226 of 439 Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Nice theater Roadster!... looks like "your system" has more than enough ability to resolve the differences.

Thanks
post #227 of 439 Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

WOW that's quite the center channel you there Great system all around.

DJoel
post #228 of 439 Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:

WOW that's quite the center channel you there Great system all around.

DJoel

Thanks, I appreciate all the positive comments I'm getting. But now, back to the thread subject: How do you like your Carlos Heredia: Gypsy Flamenco SACD? I just ordered one a few days ago.
post #229 of 439 Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I appreciate all the positive comments I'm getting. But now, back to the thread subject: How do you like your Carlos Heredia: Gypsy Flamenco SACD? I just ordered one a few days ago.

That's a great one if you like that type of acoustic guitar, and voice thing with the occasional foot stomp, it's pretty cool.It's in my ipod, and when one of his songs come one, it's always a nice surprise.

Over the summer I went to the Expona show here in NYC, I head to the Chesky both, and there was a conversation with a potential buyer and the clerk who appear to be a little more than that said to us that David discovered this guy in some lost little town in Spain. I told the guy it's great buy, especially for the cost they where selling them, and few buy one get one half prices.

DJoel
post #230 of 439 Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just posted this in the "What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases?" thread and thought I would post it in this thread and add it to the second post as well.

I have been buying CDs and SACDs from importcds for a few years now. I've been happy with their service, inventory and pricing. The great thing about the importcds site is you can search for SACDs by genre and price. I was just looking at their site and it is great as you can select SACD, genre and price (low to high). Below is a link to their site showing the great selection of SACDs in the Jazz genre. It should be helpful to those that are not sure where to buy SACDs at decent pricing.

http://www.importcds.com/Music/SACD/Jazz

Here is a link for Rock/Pop not as many SACDs as Jazz but some good prices on a few MOFI SACDs.

http://www.importcds.com/Music/SACD/RockPop

Bill

post #231 of 439 Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Artist/Title Info: Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers: Keystone 3

Format: Hybrid - MCH/SACD

Genre: Jazz

Label: Concord Records SACD-1001-6

I had never heard of Art Blakey till I started searching for jazz SACDs on sa-cd.net and kept seeing his name being mentioned. Art Blakey is credited with being one of the founders of the bebop style of drumming and his style is still very influential on mainstream jazz. His band, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers included many young musicians who went on to become prominent names in jazz. This is evident on this album with a lineup of well known jazz musicians. Among that group is Donald Brown (piano), Charles Fambrough (bass), Branford Marsalis (alto saxophone), Wynton Marsalis (trumpet) and Bill Pierce (tenor saxophone).

Listening to the MCH layer of this SACD it is clear right from the start that the recording is excellent with the surrounds being used mostly for ambiance. The drumming which of course is outstanding is front and center. As I have mentioned before I key in on the cymbals and on this recording they are very clear without being bright. All the supporting musicians sound excellent especially Donald Brown on piano. The playing of the three horn players is also excellent without it becoming congested as each play off one another. The bass playing from Charles Fambrough is also very good and well defined on this recording.

This was a hard SACD to find at a decent price as it is OOP. I looked for quite some time and was lucky to find a mint copy on ebay for a very fair price. I highly recommend this SACD for its SQ and for the outstanding music from an incredible lineup of musicians.

1. In Walked Bud
2. In A Sentimental Mood
3. Fuller Love
4. Waterfalls
5. A La Mode

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1079

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 9.0 SQ - 9.0

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Outlaw M2200s for LCR and Boston Acoustics A7200 for the surrounds
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

Bill

post #232 of 439 Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I've not seen any love here for one of my favorite groups, so I thought some impressions of my newest Spyro Gyra title might be of interest.

Spyro Gyra, "Good to Go-Go" is a hybrid stereo/multichannel SACD released in 2007 by Heads Up which is a division of Telarc. Sound quality is truly off the charts, this is reference quality material, as good as it gets.

Surround mix is from a "stage" perspective, music/instruments come from all speakers. I personally enjoy the use of surround in this fashion, I think some believe the surrounds should be used more for just ambiance. They even take the liberty of panning sounds throughout the full surround mix on rare occasions.

What can I say about the music, it might be categorized as "pop", or "modern" jazz, in any case I'm a fan of this group, and this title delivers in spades. I challenge anyone to put this disc in their player, play track ten "A Winter's Tale" and not be emotionally moved, yep, it's that beautiful. Then, just play the rest of the album with the lady on hand as you'll be moved to dance to the somewhat Reggae influenced tunes.

If you are a fan of modern jazz, give this one a spin, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Jay

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #233 of 439 Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

I've not seen any love here for one of my favorite groups, so I thought some impressions of my newest Spyro Gyra title might be of interest.

Spyro Gyra, "Good to Go-Go" is a hybrid stereo/multichannel SACD released in 2007 by Heads Up which is a division of Telarc. Sound quality is truly off the charts, this is reference quality material, as good as it gets.

Surround mix is from a "stage" perspective, music/instruments come from all speakers. I personally enjoy the use of surround in this fashion, I think some believe the surrounds should be used more for just ambiance. They even take the liberty of panning sounds throughout the full surround mix on rare occasions.

What can I say about the music, it might be categorized as "pop", or "modern" jazz, in any case I'm a fan of this group, and this title delivers in spades. I challenge anyone to put this disc in their player, play track ten "A Winter's Tale" and not be emotionally moved, yep, it's that beautiful. Then, just play the rest of the album with the lady on hand as you'll be moved to dance to the somewhat Reggae influenced tunes.

If you are a fan of modern jazz, give this one a spin, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for the review of "Good To Go Go". I have this SACD as well and will have to give it a spin in the near future. If I recall the SQ and surround mix are very good. I'll link your review to the #2 post with all the other reviews.

Bill

post #234 of 439 Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've had the DVD-A of Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat for a while, and have always loved several of the tunes on that disk, particularly "The H Gang," "It's What I Do" (about Ray Charles), and "Security Joan" - his story of airport romance ("search me now").

It's becoming a favorite of mine, along with Fagen's first solo record (during Steely Dan's long hiatus), The Nightfly - with its cinematic title tune and ironic lyrics like that to "I.G.Y. (What a Beautiful World)", and the great two-part Steely Dan epic Aja and Gaucho (which I think of as one double album, despite coming out on different record labels).

I have the DVD-A's of Morph the Cat, The Nightfly, Kamakiriad, and the Dan's Gaucho and Everything Must Go.

All are great (pity Aja never came out on DVD-A), but the sound on Morph the Cat is truly phenomenal.

Of course, a listening session with Gaucho - the Dan's first digitally-recorded album - would probably prompt a similar rave from me.

post #235 of 439 Old 01-28-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

I've had the DVD-A of Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat for a while, and have always loved several of the tunes on that disk, particularly "The H Gang," "It's What I Do" (about Ray Charles), and "Security Joan" - his story of airport romance ("search me now").

It's becoming a favorite of mine, along with Fagen's first solo record (during Steely Dan's long hiatus), The Nightfly - with its cinematic title tune and ironic lyrics like that to "I.G.Y. (What a Beautiful World)", and the great two-part Steely Dan epic Aja and Gaucho (which I think of as one double album, despite coming out on different record labels).

I have the DVD-A's of Morph the Cat, The Nightfly, Kamakiriad, and the Dan's Gaucho and Everything Must Go.

All are great (pity Aja never came out on DVD-A), but the sound on Morph the Cat is truly phenomenal.

Of course, a listening session with Gaucho - the Dan's first digitally-recorded album - would probably prompt a similar rave from me.

I have the Morph The Cat DVD-A as well and it is an excellent sounding disc. I also have The Nightfly Trilogy that has MVI-DVD versions of The Nightfly, Kamakiriad and Morph The Cat. The Nightfly and Kamakiriad are only Hi-Rez 2CH with the MCH in DD and DTS 5.1. But The Morph The Cat MVI is in Hi-Rez for MCH and 2CH. I did not realize this till SoundofMind pointed this out to me. So those wanting to get all three Donald Fagen solo releases in one package the Nightfly Trilogy is a good option.

I have Gaucho (SACD), Two Against Nature (DVD-A) and Everything Must Go (DVD-A) as well. These all sound excellent and are well worth the investment. It would be awesome to have Aja in 5.1 as well but I guess that wouldn't be happening.

I just looked on Amazon for the Morph The Cat DVD-A and there are two new copies one for $146.98 and one for $304.18! I think I paid under $20.00 for a sealed copy shipped a few years ago on Amazon. The prices for the used DVD-A start at $18.00 which is a much more realistic price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...atcorr&seller=

Bill

post #236 of 439 Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Artist: Donald Fagan
Title: Nightfly Trilogy (includes Nightfly, Morph the Cat and Kamakiriad on MVI-DVD, plus 4 bonus CDs, and other material)
Label/Yr: Rhino 2007
Format: MVI-DVD (see details below)
Rating Scale: 1 – 10 Ascending
Recording: 9-10 (1 point taken off for lower Res MC mix on 2 discs)
Surround Mix: 10
Content: 9-10
Style: funk/r&b/jazz/rock fusion
Review:
The Morph the Cat MVI DTS 24/96 MC sounds superb. I'd say that in SQ and execution from recording studio to print it is every bit the equal to SD's Gaucho, TAN & EMG on DVD-A (for my high praise see my review of those discs here). So I will simply quote:

"IMO this is how modern music should be done and the result is a state-of-the-art studio MC mix. The lead vocals are from the CC and the main instruments are arrayed across a broad front soundstage with great tonal quality, imaging and detail. Surrounds are used to create precise phantom images along the sides. Back-up vocals, horn section, percussion fills, etc. are arrayed to good effect resulting in a surround mix which is very enjoyable. Speakers simply disappear; it is as though one is standing at the conductor's podium with musicians arrayed slightly more than 180 degrees to the front from L to R. The dynamics are excellent. The kick drum and electric bass set the standard for tight and punchy right up front."

The 2 ch mixes on all 3 MVI discs are HiRes (96KHz) and also sound superb. By superb I mean I consider these reference demo discs. Combined with all the extra material including videos and rare Fagan cuts (all in stereo 44.1) this is a good purchase IMO for about $50, especially if you don't have the grammy-award-winning Morph in DVDA. Or especially if you have a nice stereo (not surround) setup for music! And the 44.1 extra CD discs are nice for the car. The extra material like the videos are fun.

The inexplicable production decision was to do the MC mixes on Nightfly and Kamakiriad as DD and DTS 48Hz (not 96Hz). I will say that they really sound quite good. But with repeated A/B critical listening it is apparent they are not quite DVDA quality, missing some of that extra sparkling detail and punch IMO. I'm not inspired at this point to seek out the more expensive DVD-A versions of those two for the slightly higher quality MC, despite being a huge SD/Fagan fan. Overall I really like this set and consider it a bargain, high-value purchase.

System Info: 5.2
Player: Denon DBP A100 (via DenonLink)
AVR: Denon AVR A100
Amplification: Emotiva XPA5
L/R: Dali Helicon 400 (9' from each other and MLP)
CC: Dali Helicon c200
Surrounds: Dali Helicon w200-direct firing (ignore the matching pair used as DSX wides for film)
Surround angle from MLP: 105°
Subs: Velodyne DD10 X2
DSP: Audyssey XT32 with Pro calibration ON, mains xover=40Hz
Room: 16’X22’ w/ 8’ walls arching to vaulted 12’ceiling (3500 cu’) family room/HT/Music w/ no formal acoustic treatments
LL

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #237 of 439 Old 01-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I have Gaucho (SACD), Two Against Nature (DVD-A) and Everything Must Go (DVD-A) as well. These all sound excellent and are well worth the investment. It would be awesome to have Aja in 5.1 as well but I guess that wouldn't be happening.

yeah that would be nice. and how about the pre-aja albums? i wonder if there's a chance any of those would be made into hi-rez 5.1. royal scam would be awesome.
post #238 of 439 Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SoM,

Thanks for your review of the Nightfly Trilogy. I'll link it to the other reviews in the #2 post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

yeah that would be nice. and how about the pre-aja albums? i wonder if there's a chance any of those would be made into hi-rez 5.1. royal scam would be awesome.

I'm not sure about the pre Aja albums but I have read the issue is lost mult-track tapes for there not being a 5.1 version of Aja. The Royal Scam would be excellent in 5.1 without a doubt. There was supposed to be a SHM-SACD release of The Royal Scam but it was cancelled. In all honesty after owning and selling the Aja SHM-SACD I had no interest in the SHM-SACD version of The Royal Scam.

Bill

post #239 of 439 Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks to SoM's recent review of Donald Fagen's Nightfly Trilogy it prompted me to give all three MVIs a spin. Kamakiriad and The Nightfly sound excellent in 5.1 DTS. I'm sure the DVD-A Hi-Rez versions sound better but not enough for me to seek out the expensive DVD-A versions. Morph The Cat is up next in 96/24 surround.

Bill

post #240 of 439 Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Artist / Title Doug MacLeod: Whose Truth, Whose Lies?

Format: Hybrid/Stereo, DSD

Genre: Blues.

Label: Audioquest Music

Doug MacLeod (vocal and guitar)
Dennis Croy (bass)
David Kida (drums)

There's something about listening to deep rooted blues there's no faking it even if you're not to familiar with the genre. These are artist feel the music, and you can sure tell by their pain while wailing of certain notes. I really enjoy listing to Doug MacLeod, Whose Truth, Whose Lies, and all of the above comes through on the Stereo Sacd disc. The guitar playing by Doug is pretty amazing, the hits of the guitar come out clean, making me feel I'm smacked middle of some little hall somewhere in the out shirts of the south...I can feel the damp summer night while listening to Saint Louis on My Mind Track 6 Doug's lyrics are clever, and humorous while genuine like a great parent giving you life lessons about just everything, but never preachy though. I love these types of songs, makes me feel glad I'm a man, not shameful like most of todays commercial try to convey us to be. Listen to Rise up Track 9, just great plain lyrics, conviction on his voice come through clean while guitar flows clean, you just can't help but tap your feet..I respect these of artist for their rawness take it or leave it attitude, no apologies here no Sir..

I only wish they would have use the rear channels for more atmosphere feel, other than that I'm a happy camper. If you like, folk, country, or blues, or even if you like to dabble in these genres this is great album to start with, thanks to guys at the Hi Res thread in recommending this one.

Thanks Daniel J

Attachment 235982

My system Info:
Source: Oppo BDP-93
AVR: Denon-AVR4311ci via HDMi, will be experimenting with single
Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 with costume face plate, it does nothing for sounds but it looks real cool.
FR/FL: B&W 802N 8 feet or so away, and slightly toed in..
Center: B&W HTM3S
Surrounds: 805N on their b&w stands
Surround location: As these are monitor and don't have any diffusion, the Left is pointing straight to the front right speaker and the Right monitor is pointing to the Left front speaker
Sub: JL Audio F113, sweeping up the bottom, with ARO active to tighten poor corner location.

Room: 20' W, 14' D with 9' high ceilings. Some room treatments in the first reflection, but would like to add more in the future, nice heavy rug which helps allot.
LL
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page