3. Blue Skies
4. All of Me
5. Unchained Melody
6. September Song
7. On the Sunny Side of the Street
8. Moonlight in Vermont
9. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
10. Someone to Watch over Me

From the first note you know you're in for a treat, I don't own much of Mr. Nelson's music, and that's a shame on me. Willie Nelson doesn't not have the greatest voice but that doesn't really matters much as there's a certain romantic sense out each word he sings. Lou Reed come to mind, but there's a sweetness out Nelson's tune in his slightly nasal voice. To me this is a reference recording as every nuance come through as if he's right in my living room, white beard and all, hmm what's that your smoking Mr Nelson
I would say this isn't exactly a country music, but his renditions of these great American catalogs.. Listen to Stardust Track 1 if you don't want to grab a love one and slow dance with them, I suggest this isn't for you
Same with unchained Melody Track 5, simply beautiful, open airy what comes to mind. This Sacd is also in Stereo, but it's recorded a bit on the hot side than a few other discs I have. I had to find my remote quickly

This is a fun listen while alone, but even better with my gal around, so do yourself a favor and try to get a copy, they're OOP I believe but if you can find a use one you wont regret it.

Thanks Daniel J

Attachment 235983

My system Info:
Source: Oppo BDP-93
AVR: Denon-AVR4311ci via HDMi, will be experimenting with single
Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 with costume face plate, it does nothing for sounds but it looks real cool.
FR/FL: B&W 802N 8 feet or so away, and slightly toed in..
Center: B&W HTM3S
Surrounds: 805N on their b&w stands
Surround location: As these are monitor and don't have any diffusion, the Left is pointing straight to the front right speaker and the Right monitor is pointing to the Left front speaker
Sub: JL Audio F113, sweeping up the bottom, with ARO active to tighten poor corner location.

Room: 20' W, 14' D with 9' high ceilings. Some room treatments in the first reflection, but would like to add more in the future, nice heavy rug which helps allot.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 439 Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Dan,

Thanks for the great reviews of the Whose Truth, Whose Lies and Stardust SACDs! I have the WTWL SACD playing right now and agree with you that it is an excellent SACD. If I have time I'm going to spin Stardust next. The Stardust SACD is the only album I have of Willie's. I agree with you on your thoughts on the music and the SQ of the recording. I'll add your two reviews to the #2 post.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #243 of 439 Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Artist / Title: Gene Harris, Scott Hamilton: At Last

Format: Sacd -Stereo/Multichannel

Genre: Jazz

Label: Concord Records

"At Last"

Gene Harris
Scott Hamilton
Herb Ellis
Ray Brown
Harold Jones

1. You Are My Sunshine 6:44
2. It Never Entered My Mind 4:13
3. After You've Gone 5:00
4. The Lamp Is Low 6:57
5. At Last 5:13
6. Blues For Gene 7:01
7. I Fall In Love Too Easily 6:11
8. Some Of These Days 6:38
9. Stairway To The Stars 5:34
10. Sittin' In The Sandtrap

I've listen to this sacd a few times already, something I've been meaning to do with a few disc I own, but I reach for this disc more than others simply because it's an amazing display of great music in this format, a full assault to your ears and brain, to be a musician and play like this should be something one should feel so proud.. Listen to after You've Gone Track 3 with it's snappy, fast tempo will give your system a nice work, and it's job is to duplicate all these instruments and have them separate not just a smore of jammed up instruments. The piano plays so elegantly, while horns are play, snares are jumping, and holding it all together is the rhythm sections drums and base...All very sexy if you ask me, listen to The Lamp is Low Track 4 Beautiful, this is why we chose this hobby folks The titel cut At last Track 5 Comes oh so sweet, saxsophone has a nice weight to it, and the piano has present mostly on the left side of the rear speaker, while the Sax blows out front and center. This disc is ment to be heard loud if possible, it's grand sound statage feels awesome. The bass is one of the cleanest I've heard in a long time. nicely plucked on Blues fo gene Track 6! I would use this track for auditioning out speakers for sure.

I purchased this sacd on Eflay recommened by Bill at a great price, it took a while for me to get but who cares, for this price and quality of sounds it was all worth it at the end, great stuff.

Daniel J.

Attachment 235985

My system Info:
Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 with costume face plate, it does nothing for sounds but it looks real cool.
Surround location: As these are monitor and don't have any diffusion, the Left is pointing straight to the front right speaker and the Right monitor is pointing to the Left front speaker
Sub: JL Audio F113, sweeping up the bottom, with ARO active to tighten poor corner location.

Room: 20' W, 14' D with 9' high ceilings. Some room treatments in the first reflection, but would like to add more in the future, nice heavy rug which helps allot.
LL
post #244 of 439 Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Dan,

Thanks for the great reviews of the Whose Truth, Whose Lies and Stardust SACDs! I have the WTWL SACD playing right now and agree with you that it is an excellent SACD. If I have time I'm going to spin Stardust next. The Stardust SACD is the only album I have of Willie's. I agree with you on your thoughts on the music and the SQ of the recording. I'll add your two reviews to the #2 post.

Bill

Thanks bud, I found my self at home, bad back but at least I have these great music to ease the pain

Willie's Stardust is one of those disc that hit my expatiations and leaves nothing to regreat..So majestic, and true to Willie, and lush sweetness. Can you tell the back pain medicine has me loopy

Doug is quite the musician too, and I can't believe I've never heard of him, I know he has few SACD's around. I think I'll get those as well.

Enjoy, and happy listening.

Dan
post #245 of 439 Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Artist / Title: Eleanor McEvoy: Early Hours

Format: Sacd -Stereo/Multichannel

Genre: Pop/Rock

Label: Market Square

1. You'll Hear Better Songs (Than This)
2. Memphis Tennessee -
3. The D.J.
4. I'll Be Willing
5. Driving Home From Butler's
6. Ave Maria
7. Make Mine A Small One
8. Slipping Away
9. Sail Me High
10. Days Roll By
11. Where Did My Life Go?
12. At The End Of The Day
13. Anach Cuain (Eanach Dhuin)

While listening to Eleanor I can't help but make little comparisons to Dolores O'Riordan the Cranberries lead singer, not exactly but certain sounds . Delores's voice is thiner but the same infliction's in these ladies voice leads me to think she might be from the same region in Ireland, Eleanor's voice has mass, more maturity.. This disc is nicely recorded with vast sound stage, and beautifully written, lost love haunted memories such as The D.J Track 3, which I think it's very clever in whom ever chose this type of arrangement, first you think it's a build put to some dance type song, but it never moves from her staring of her glass filled up with what ever she drink that night. Songs like Ave Maria Track 5 come through like a agnostic lullaby of lost faith, beautifully opens to the fronts while the rear add subtle atmospheric chants. This disc moves so fast, I had to play twice, it's great music, and well recorded. It's a little bassy at times, but that might be my system in need of some sub tuning.. I can only thank every one here for showing me all these fine music, and Eleanor doesn't disappoint. Her music will show off your system to your family and friends.

Daniel J

Attachment 235994

My system Info:

LL
post #246 of 439 Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Thanks bud, I found my self at home, bad back but at least I have these great music to ease the pain

Dan,

Keep those reviews coming! Be careful you do not burn out your keyboard. I hope your back is better but don't hurry back to work as you have plenty of excellent music to listen to. If you stay out a full week you'll be up to 20-30 reviews. I'm glad someone is taking up the slack as I've had writers block lately.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #247 of 439 Old 02-02-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

...FR/FL: B&W 802N 8 feet or so away, and slightly toed in..
Surround location: As these are monitor and don't have any diffusion, the Left is pointing straight to the front right speaker and the Right monitor is pointing to the Left front speaker...

Does that mean the surrounds are firing at MLP?

I have my system optimized for MC music, with my direct firing surrounds placed just above ear level and pointed right at MLP. Well-mixed HiRes MC music and film yields uncannily precise imaging between the fronts and surrounds and a nicely immersive surround soundstage. I also have DSX wides in place on stands at 60 degrees and folks can't believe they're not firing when we listen to native 5.1.

BTW, Dan, have you heard the Stockfisch records stuff recorded using B&W monitors? I have Sara K. and Chris Jones and I bet that'd sound amazingly realistic on your system.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #248 of 439 Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Does that mean the surrounds are firing at MLP?

I have my system optimized for MC music, with my direct firing surrounds placed just above ear level and pointed right at MLP. Well-mixed HiRes MC music and film yields uncannily precise imaging between the fronts and surrounds and a nicely immersive surround soundstage. I also have DSX wides in place on stands at 60 degrees and folks can't believe they're not firing when we listen to native 5.1.

I get a better defusing with this method, I know of people who point their monitor straight to their ears. I like more of a subtleness of the recording, a slight whisper.

Quote:

BTW, Dan, have you heard the Stockfisch records stuff recorded using B&W monitors? I have Sara K. and Chris Jones and I bet that'd sound amazingly realistic on your system.

Yes Sara K is awesome, it was loaned to me I just need to get my own as I wasn't listening to it critically as I would have like to, no to Chris Jones I'll put that in my wish list.

Thanks

Dan
post #249 of 439 Old 02-02-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell Collectors Edition CD+DVD

Format: Hybrid SACD, 2.0/5.1 DVD-V/5.1 Dolbly/DTS

Review: Multichannel Surround Mix 5.1

AQ: 10

Performance: 9.0

This is Depeche's Mode's first release back in 1981. I own the original vinyl copy, which has a pretty good sound quality to it. Its dynamic
dynamic performance is outstanding considering the rough edges analog synths bring. The original cd release of this disc is piss poor to say the
least. It took Mute Records many years to remaster the original recordings and bring them up to the quality of the original recordings. The newer
remastered CDs add bonus mixes and basically rearranged the track order and listings. This how its easy to spot the original cd pressings from the
remasters.

Now, onto the 5.1 collectors edition. The contents of this collectors edition comes with 2 discs. A SACD and a DVD-V that contains a Dolby Digital
5.1 and DTS 5.1. I listened to both and honestly, can't tell you either mix from one another. The discs performance is outstanding as well as its
audio quality. For any true DMode fans, this disc is a real treat. Daniel Miller did an amazing job setting up the rear channels. Its not like
some of my mch music where the rear channels are left on at about 30% volume just repeating the front stage. You get a unique and different mix
per each track, which keeps you wondering whats in store on the next track.

The SACD only contains the basic album in 5.1, but does come with additional tracks the original cd never had. Other remastered CDs did come the
same way as this SACD.

SACD Contents:

1. New Life
2. I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead
3. Puppets
4. Boys Say Go!
5. Nodisco
6. What's Your Name?
7. Photographic
8. Tora! Tora! Tora!
9. Big Muff
10. Any Second Now (Voices)
11. Just Can't Get Enough
12. Dreaming Of Me

Audio quality between the SACD and DVD are no different, so see below for my comments on tracks:

DVD-V Contents:

Short Film
Depeche Mode 1980-81
(Do we really have to give up our day jobs?)

Speak & Spell in 5.1 and Stereo (Dolby 5.1 / DTS 5.1 )

1. New Life
2. I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead
3. Puppets
4. Boys Say Go!
5. Nodisco
6. What's Your Name?
7. Photographic
8. Tora! Tora! Tora!
9. Big Muff
10. Any Second Now (Voices)
11. Just Can't Get Enough
12. Dreaming Of Me

Additional Bonus Tracks in 5.1 and Stereo (Dolby 5.1 / DTS 5.1 )

1. Ice Machine
2. Shout
3. Any Second Now
4. Just Can't Get Enough ( schizo mix )

Comments/Impressions on Tracks

Opening track is New Life. It has very good bass production, especially mid bass at 100hz-120hz range. I found it dipping down into the low end
on the lower notes, which is on par with the vinyl copy Ive been playing with for 30+ years. Had some nice back mixing for the rear speakers.
Voices and rear synths that are separated from the front. Nice detail i must say

Second track, I Sometimes I Wish I Was dead was just as less impressive as the original remastered when it came out. Has a bit of rear mixing with
some of the analog synths, but nothing to get excited about.

Third track, Puppets was done very well. Mid base is on par with the original release LP, mid bass is strong as the low end bass. Voices are clear
there is clear rear channel mixing with separation of individual synths crossing both rear left and right channels.

Fourth Boy's Say Go, which is a very corny pop song they did. It has Very punchy low and mid bass on this track with great highs. Synths come alive and really pop. The rear channels get some lovin here with
individual sythns, backup voices and additional sounds thrown in. Some nice echo affect, but not along the line of annoying reverbs.

Fifth track is Nodisco, Good low end bass, boring rear channel action. Clear highs and the synths blend in well with out being over drawn out
by the bass. This was a problem on the original LP.

sixth track is What's Your Name, I've always found the song annoying and basically skipped over it.

Seventh Track, Photographic, an amazing song if you're a synth junkie like me. You catch the deep grunge bass of the analog synths, digging really low
and mid bass that has a fast beat pattern. The rear channels come alive here with sort of a surreal blending factor. It seems the sound is spinning
around your head. Brights from the synths pop in this track.

Eighth track, Tora! Tora! Tora!. Song captures the true art of synthesizers in their amazing madness. Bass is solid, low, tight with punchy mid
bass. The rear channels are actually separated from the front making sound an individual concept on this track. The vocals come out clean and clear
and the highs are bright but tamed. An amazing experience on this song.

Ninth Track, Big Muff, has the lowest bass on any of the tracks on this disc. Its a constant up and down, although smooth, you will definitely feel
it if you have powerful subs. Rear separation is basic at best and treats you with high notes, blending left to right. Sound stage presents a feeling
of being front and center. There is no vocals on this track.

Tenth Track, Any Second Now ( Voices ). There are two versions of this song... There's synths on the front stage that move from left, center to right
then right, center to left. Its an interesting affect i dubbed Knight Rider. The rear channels don't come into play until mid way through the song. You hear some of the
sounds of the synths, more like a sound affect.

11th Track, Just Can't Get Enough uses each of the speakers together, with backup vocals going to the rear. Bass is solid, clean and the tracks rears
materialize with more sytnhs being sent to the speakers. Sounds just as good as the original LP. There's been many releases of this song and mostly
its been very flat. This one comes alive.

Twelfth Track, Dreaming Of Me, which was rearranged to the rear of the remastered cd from the original lp, has a nice mid bass note.

Bonus Tracks:

1. Ice Machine - Nothing different then the original b-side that's be re-released over the years. Hardly any rear channel mixing. Recording seems
to be on par with all of its other releases. Not a significant track by any means.

2. Shout - Another b-side with no originality here.

3. Any Second Now - this is the mix without vocals and features more dynamic use of the rear channels of any of the recordings on this disc. Its
quite impressive, with crystal clear highs and good solid bass. If you're a hi fi guy who is proud of your high end speakers, this track will
show off those impressive tweeters. Very clear, individual speaker use and special effects. This one has the knight rider affect on the front
channels as well with a plethora of special affects and special synths sounds. Really enjoyable track for me.

System Info

Pre/pro/AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX3010
Main Amplification: Emotiva XPA-5
External DAC: Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus
Player: Oppo BDP-93

Speakers
FR/FL: Paradigm Studio 100s
FWR/FWL:Paradigm Studio 20s
FHR/FHL:Paradigm Studio 10s
Center: Paradigm CC690
Surrounds: Mirage OMD5
Surround Rear: Paradigm Studio 10s
Sub(s): TWO HSU VTF-15s Single Port Tuned Mode
YPAO Room Correction
post #250 of 439 Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Venomous,

Thanks for the excellent and very detailed review! I do not have any Depeche Mode music but might have to try one of their SACDs. What genre or style would their music be? I'll add your review to the #2 post.

Bill

post #251 of 439 Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Venomous,

Thanks for the excellent and very detailed review! I do not have any Depeche Mode music but might have to try one of their SACDs. What genre or style would their music be? I'll add your review to the #2 post.

Bill

Hey Bill

I think they were thought as nu wave at first a little gothy with the release of Black Celebration, and then electronica.. I've been a fan for a long time, seen them a few times as well, my Rock friends hate them though lol

Venomous excellent review hm made me want to get it, the only thing that was holding me back was the original cd, which I have some where and it was just awful

Dan
post #252 of 439 Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Venomous,

Bill

Thanks Bill. Let's see, the proper genre for them now is classic alternative. They were known in the early years as new wave. Lots of hearty synthesizers and a drum machine. It wasn't until 1995 they discovered real drums. But they did indeed discover the guitar in 1988

Their music has evolved through the years and began to hit their stride in 1986. By 1990 they were on the top then leveled out. By 1996, they declined and have more of a dark goth sound these days since Alan wilder left the band in 96.

Quote:

Hey Bill

I think they were thought as nu wave at first a little gothy with the release of Black Celebration, and then electronica.. I've been a fan for a long time, seen them a few times as well, my Rock friends hate them though lol

Venomous excellent review hm made me want to get it, the only thing that was holding me back was the original cd, which I have some where and it was just awful

Dan

The original disc is mastered terribly, but this is worth buying only if you like the first album content. I think A Broken Frame is better and im writing a review for it right now.

Everyone of my friends hated them in the beginning but learned to appreciate what they could do in an electronic format. As time went on, I would catch them listening to them.

Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I have more to follow soon.
post #253 of 439 Old 02-10-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Artist/Title Info: Gene Harris Quartet: Listen Here!

Format: Hybrid - MCH/SACD

Label: Concord Records SACD-1006-6

I was on the hunt for this SACD after reading the many positive reviews over at sa-cd.net. I also have the Gene Harris / Scott Hamilton - At Last SACD that sounds excellent and was reviewed here by Dan (Djoel). Before I found a copy (that arrived today) I borrowed a friends copy. I have to say this is one of the better jazz SACDs I have heard out of the ones that I own. The music of Gene Harris (piano), Ron Eschete (guitar), Ray Brown (bass) and Jeff Hamilton (drums) just flows from song to song. I have listened to the MCH layer of this SACD several times and it is excellent! The addition of Ron Eschete's guitar to this group really adds to Gene Harris' piano playing. I highly recommend this SACD and if it can be found for a decent price definitely grab it!

1. This Masquerade
2. Don't Be That Way
3. I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling
4. Listen Here
5. This Can't Be Love
6. To You
7. Blues for Jezebel
8. Sweet and Lovely
9. Lullabye
10. Song is Ended

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1229

Rating (scale 1 - 10) Music - 9.5 SQ - 9.0

System Info:
Source: Oppo 83SE
Pre/pro: Onkyo 886 - MCH SACD/DVD-A (using the MCH analog input)
Preamp: Parasound 2100 - 2CH SACD/DVD-A
Amplification: Outlaw M2200s for LCR and Boston Acoustics A7200 for the surrounds
FR/FL: Salk SongTowers
Center: Salk Song Center
Surrounds: Definitive Technology BP2x
Surround location: On the ceiling (behind the MLP and slightly outside FR/FL speakers)
Sub: Rythmik F12SE (Anti-Mode 8033C sub EQ)

Room: 17' W (which is open on one side), 14' D with 9' high ceilings. No room treatments as of yet.

post #254 of 439 Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Artists/Title: Monty Alexander, Earnest Ranglin: Rocksteady

Label: Telarc Surround, SACD-63581

Rocksteady was recorded directly to Direct Stream Digital masters in 2004. No need to go into any further detail about the SQ, it's simply exquisite!

If you don't know who Monty, and Earnest are, ask a really talented musician, these guys have been around since the stone age, and are what I would refer to as "musician's musicians". In the album notes Monty mentions this is the 45th year since they first played music together!

This album is truly a jewel, and quite frankly a steal to boot. Twelve tracks, every one an absolute delight, these guys have got to be the most well kept secret in all of music.

My first introduction was the AIX title "Order of Distinction" which was an honor bestowed upon Earnie, and Jimmy Cliff by the Jamaican government. Earnest, and Monty both hail from Jamaica, and there is obviously an "island flavor" to their music.

I truly can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy this set, it's among my treasured pieces of music, along with several others from these two fine gentlemen.

Jay

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #255 of 439 Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Artist/Title Info: Gene Harris Quartet: Listen Here!

Label: Concord Records SACD-1006-6

Nice...mine is one the way and a confirmed SACD, not redbook

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #256 of 439 Old 02-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

No need to go into any further detail about the SQ, it's simply exquisite!

This album is truly a jewel, and quite frankly a steal to boot. Twelve tracks, every one an absolute delight, these guys have got to be the most well kept secret in all of music.

Jay

Nice review Jay, you just cost me <$9 to the door!

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #257 of 439 Old 02-19-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Nice review Jay, you just cost me <$9 to the door!

Let us know how much you love it after a listen!

I also have the Gene Harris "Listen Here!", one of my very favorite piano jazz albums.

Jay

Jay
post #258 of 439 Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

Rocksteady was recorded directly to Direct Stream Digital masters in 2004. No need to go into any further detail about the SQ, it's simply exquisite!

If you don't know who Monty, and Earnest are, ask a really talented musician, these guys have been around since the stone age, and are what I would refer to as "musician's musicians". In the album notes Monty mentions this is the 45th year since they first played music together!

My first introduction was the AIX title "Order of Distinction" which was an honor bestowed upon Earnie, and Jimmy Cliff by the Jamaican government. Earnest, and Monty both hail from Jamaica, and there is obviously an "island flavor" to their music.

I truly can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy this set, it's among my treasured pieces of music, along with several others from these two fine gentlemen.

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for the great review! I'll add it to the #2 post with the other reviews. I'll have to grab this one as it is has positive reviews on sa-cd.net. You certainly can't beat the price.

Bill

post #259 of 439 Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Nice...mine is one the way and a confirmed SACD, not redbook

Excellent! I think you will enjoy this one. I think I'll give it a spin this morning.

Bill

post #260 of 439 Old 02-25-2012, 04:46 AM

Been playing McCoy Tyner SACD "Land of Giants" quite a bit lately, if you are a jazz fan this is definitely a must have. Track 5 "Manalyuca" has the most amazing double bass solo (with bow) I've ever heard, Charnett Mofett is one talented bassist. All four of this quartet are awesome. Be prepared for a vibraphone in the rear channels, need some good surrounds for this album!

Jay

Jay
post #261 of 439 Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I think you mean McCoy Tyner - John Coltrane's long-time pianist. Both are indeed giants.

post #262 of 439 Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

I think you mean McCoy Tyner - John Coltrane's long-time pianist. Both are indeed giants.

Yes, thanks for the correction, edited my post. Great album.

Jay

Jay
post #263 of 439 Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM

Liked: 14
The Listen Here! SACD is FANTASTIC!!!!! Just listened to my copy and the sound BLEW ME AWAY in SURROUND 5.1.Thanks to all who reviewed this great disc. Bruce

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #264 of 439 Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

If someone feels the new Milli Vanilli Greatest Hits SACD is a must have lets be nice (I preordered it already).

Amusing.

I just got a reasonably priced used 2 disc set (CD and 5.1 DVD_audio) of At War With The Mystics by The Flaming Lips.

It's another 5.1 ping pong fest somewhat similar to Pink Floyd's 5.1 DSOTM, but that's starting to grow on me.

Of my roughly dozen DVD_audio discs, this is the 1st one to have SQ that is truly excellent.

See: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...tics+5.1&ajr=0

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #265 of 439 Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Liked: 14
Artist/Title:The Gene Harris Trio Plus One
Format:SACD Stereo
Genre:Jazz/Blues
Label:Groove Note/GRV10-19-3
Ratings:[Scale 1-10] Music/9 SQ/9
This SACD is Stereo [Wish It Was Surround] But sounds Fantasic.The cast includes:Gene Harris[Piano]Ray Brown[Bass]Mickey Roker[Drums] And Plus One:Stanley Turrentine[Tenor Sax] and WHAT a CAST!!! I have a few SACD with Gene Harris but this Live Recording from The Blue Note In NY is a masterpiece.The sound of the Audience mixing with the band is great and all the players are at the top of their game.I love the Tenor Sax and Stanley makes his sing!!! All the other players just blend in with their own sound which the audience loves.I am not a real Jazz listener BUT this disc and the other Gene Harris discs have convinced me as they all sound Fantastic.This SACD reissue was mastered by Bernie Grundman in 1986.The Songs
Gene's Lament:Great up tempo song with a lot of SAX
Misty:I have heard this song before but not played like this also with a great Piano and Sax
Uptown Sop:Another great song
Things Ain't What They Used To Be:Quite A Long Song
Yours Is My Heart Alone:More Mello But Sax Is Great
Battle Hymn Of the Republic:This is one hell of a song that is quite not like the original.
Source:Opppo-93 Used in Analog Mode
Pre-Pro:Onkyo-3008 Used In Multichannel Direct
Amps:Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva XPA-5
FL/FR:Salk Song Tower
Center:Salk Song Center
Sides:Salk Song Surround
Back Surroundefinitve Mythos XL
Surround Location:Side and Back
Sub:Epik Empire
Room: 18W/23L
If you like a great Jazz/Blues SACD LIVE this is one to buy!!!

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #266 of 439 Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Amusing.

I just got a reasonably priced used 2 disc set (CD and 5.1 DVD_audio) of At War With The Mystics by The Flaming Lips.

It's another 5.1 ping pong fest somewhat similar to Pink Floyd's 5.1 DSOTM, but that's starting to grow on me.

Of my roughly dozen DVD_audio discs, this is the 1st one to have SQ that is truly excellent.

See: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...tics+5.1&ajr=0

OS,

Thanks! I might have to check this one out. It certainly is priced quite low for a CD/DVD combo.

Bill

post #267 of 439 Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

Artist/Title:The Gene Harris Trio Plus One
Format:SACD Stereo
Genre:Jazz/Blues
Label:Groove Note/GRV10-19-3
Ratings:[Scale 1-10] Music/9 SQ/9
This SACD is Stereo [Wish It Was Surround] But sounds Fantasic.The cast includes:Gene Harris[Piano]Ray Brown[Bass]Mickey Roker[Drums] And Plus One:Stanley Turrentine[Tenor Sax] and WHAT a CAST!!! I have a few SACD with Gene Harris but this Live Recording from The Blue Note In NY is a masterpiece.The sound of the Audience mixing with the band is great and all the players are at the top of their game.I love the Tenor Sax and Stanley makes his sing!!! All the other players just blend in with their own sound which the audience loves.I am not a real Jazz listener BUT this disc and the other Gene Harris discs have convinced me as they all sound Fantastic.This SACD reissue was mastered by Bernie Grundman in 1986.The Songs
Gene's Lament:Great up tempo song with a lot of SAX
Misty:I have heard this song before but not played like this also with a great Piano and Sax
Uptown Sop:Another great song
Things Ain't What They Used To Be:Quite A Long Song
Yours Is My Heart Alone:More Mello But Sax Is Great
Battle Hymn Of the Republic:This is one hell of a song that is quite not like the original.

If you like a great Jazz/Blues SACD LIVE this is one to buy!!!

Bruce,

Great review! I opened up my laptop and I saw your review of this disc as I'm listening to the same SACD. I guess great minds think alike. I'm glad you are enjoying this one as I am as well. I'll add this review to the #2 post.

Bill

post #268 of 439 Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks! I might have to check this one out. It certainly is priced quite low for a CD/DVD combo.

When you get it, kindly post what you think about it; namely both 5.1 SQ and whether or not it's 5.1 ping pong effect is a plus or a minus.

As I said previously, the 5.1 ping pong effect is starting to grow on me.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #269 of 439 Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Also check out Flaming Lips/Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. Aggressive mix as well but cool stuff.
Djoel likes this.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #270 of 439 Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 PM

Artist: Monty Alexander
Title: My America
Label: Telarc Surround SACD-63552
Format: multichannel hybrid SACD
Recording date: March 25-April 1, 2002
Recoding format: Direct Stream Digital Masters, and all subsequent mixing done in the digital domain

Do you have an album that you can truly rate ten on sound quality, 5.1 surround mix, and musical content? If I could only buy one SACD this month, and I didn't already own this title, it would be the ONE!

Monty Alexander is a jazz pianist of the first order, if you like the Gene Harris cut "Listen Here!", think twelve tracks that rock as hard if not more so. Think Freddy Cole singing vocal on Nat King Cole's classic "Straighten Up and Fly Right" in a groovy, funky rhythm. Think John Pizzarelli crooning "Summer Wind", think an 11 minute SMOKIN' version of "Sex Machine" with a bit of "Heard it Through the Grapevine" interwoven into the mix just to blow your mind!

Jazz singer Kevin Mahogany, lays down the vocals in an inspired "Hallelujah I Love Her So", and Monty swings with the best in his arrangement of Duke Ellington's "Rocking in Rhythm" only this rendition is "Rockin' in Riddim". The set ends with the most amazing improvisation of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" you're likely to ever hear.

Yeah, I know everyone likes to talk about remasters of 30 year old classic rock, no way in this life ANY of them will have the dynamics, frequency range, signal to noise ratio, or resolution of a DSD recording. For the purist, it don't get better than this!

Jay
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page