Pink Floyd Immersion Sets - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 09-30-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Its pretty lame that for the money being charged for the Immersion sets that the packaging is substandard. You have to wonder who was the idiot that designed the packaging. It will most likely cost the record company quite a bit to replace scratched discs. Maybe then they might improve the packaging.

I can see some of those that are buying the Immersion sets that will put them away to sell when OOP. They will be in for a shock when the sets are eventually opened and some of the discs are scratched. What can you do then?

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 09-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

My buddy also has a loose disc in his immersion set from Amazon that was badly scratched, mine from Amazon had no loose discs luckily.

Damn that sucks. It's funny to me that they spent all this money on remastering all the music and then chintz on the packaging allowing the discs to fall loose and become damaged.

Hopefully they'll redesign by the next Immersion set.

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #33 of 45 Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Ok guys, aside from the scratched discs, what do you think of the AQ of the material? In my opinion, the 4.0 is absolutely stunning! Best I have heard in a long time.
post #34 of 45 Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabre View Post

Ok guys, aside from the scratched discs, what do you think of the AQ of the material? In my opinion, the 4.0 is absolutely stunning! Best I have heard in a long time.

Amazing!!! I set down last night just to listen to the first few minutes.......not possible with Darkside, listened to the whole thing and loved every second. Great use of surrounds, great remaster, sonics were spectacular.

post #35 of 45 Old 10-01-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Check your prepro or receiver to see if it has side speakers and rear speakers for 7.1 and try enabling one or the other that may not be enabled. You may have to change speaker wire connections which could kill the deal. Some processors have a setting where you can combine rear+side to come out one or the other. Could be a "bug", 4.0 is not common. If I think of it I'll try it in my setup.

Also, from what I remember when dealing with tech support for my prepro, there is no standard (or there was none at the time) for the order of channels via HDMI. The prepro had settings that let you choose various channel setups for HDMI audio. However, I've never had an issue with the default setting.

larry

Thanks for the advice. I've tried everything except changing speaker wires - which is just too much trouble. Still no luck. Disappointing. Surprised I haven't heard other similar issues from others. Will keep researching and trying to solve this, but I think I've adjusted every setting I have. Not sure what else I could tweak.
post #36 of 45 Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Ray1:

Very frustrating, I can sympathize.

You may want, if possible, to try another bluray player to see if you get the same problem. It has been my experience, with the HDMI handshaking process, that curious steering behaviors can sometimes result with some equipment interactions. For example, in my system discrete 6.1 movies soundtracks always have one of the rear speakers muted. I did try the 4.0 DSotM version, and it did play fine, but that doesn't mean a whole lot in your case. The fact that your AVR is displaying PCM 4.0 as input is strange, though, as it suggests the receiver can handle the input - but then it doesn't appear to know what to do with the extra two channels.

If you are able to test with another bluray player, and you still have the problem, it may be worth seeing if your AVR has a discussion forum somewhere to see if others arehaving ths same problem. Also, if you have any other 4.0 sources (some DVD-A discs like Pet Sounds were 4.0), try that as well.

I think Larry is right that as an oddball format, 4.0 is causing one piece of equipment in your system to get confused.

Simon

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #37 of 45 Old 10-01-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post

Does anyone know how to go about letting the label/distributor/whoever know, so that they can set up an exchange program for scratched discs? I can't see people who ordered online being able to get a decent set w/out damaged discs.

I ordered online and got a set without scratched or damaged discs.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #38 of 45 Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone picked up the new Wish You Were here set? Any reviews?

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #39 of 45 Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I got my WYWH Immersion set a few days ago, and finally listened to the BD 2009 5.1 mix last night. They seem to have learned from the DSOTM Immersion packaging: the disks all come in separate sleeves, not pre-mounted to the bottom of the case where they can pop off during shipping, yet the case mountings are still there. There are five disks, four mounts: the BD stays in its slipcase, I guess.

Pretty nice - very much like Guthrie's DSOTM 5.1 mix: more like a wide-stereo with occasional use of the surrounds for discrete instruments/effects, vs an aggressive mix like the Parsons Quad mix of DSOTM. I prefer aggressive, and I hope to listen to the quad mix of WYWH tonight.

Certainly a lot more clarity. You can hear Grappelli's fiddle at the end of WYWH (the song) very clearly (though still low in the mix), and there is just a lot more detail all around that is very hard to pick out in the 2-channel mix that I'm most familiar with (the Shine On boxset edition).

Gilmour's hack/cough during the "radio" intro of WYWH is extremely obvious now.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #40 of 45 Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm so glad I got the WYWH Immersion Set instead of the WYWH SACD. When I opened the Amazon box I found three SACDs shrink wrapped to the WYWH box!!! OK after my initial excitement I noticed they were Stevie Ray Vaughan SACDs and not PK's. Good week for Hi-Rez music.

I got the box earlier this week too but have been out of town so haven't had a chance to listen yet. Hopefully I will remedy that tonight.

I may still get the WYWH SACD to satisfy my OCD completist thing.

Tom

post #41 of 45 Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

I got the Wall Experience (3-CDs) set last week. GREAT sound quality! Deeper bass then I've heard in past releases. I also love the disk of demos. I almost wish I would have gotten the Immersion Box set that has 2 disks of demos. Anyone have the Wall Immersion Box set ?
post #42 of 45 Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_rocket View Post

I got the Wall Experience (3-CDs) set last week. GREAT sound quality! Deeper bass then I've heard in past releases. I also love the disk of demos. I almost wish I would have gotten the Immersion Box set that has 2 disks of demos. Anyone have the Wall Immersion Box set ?

No surround mix included, no sale.
post #43 of 45 Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post

No surround mix included, no sale.

+1
I got the new version of The Wall on CD for Christmas, good enough for me for now, since I also got the Wish You Were Here Immersion set. Now that one is worth getting!

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #44 of 45 Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Immersion wish list

Just for kicks, since the Immersion box sets have been joined by The Division Bell now, here's what I'd like to see:

Meddle (Immersion Box Set)
CD 1: Album remastered
CD 2: Demos & live recording of "Echoes" from the WYWH tour, completing the concert offered in the DSOTM and WYWH sets.
DVD 1: 48/24 stereo mix & quad mix of album (if the quad does indeed exist)
DVD 2: Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii, Screen films for "Echoes," Additional Meddle Tour footage
Blu-ray 1: 96/24 stereo mix & quad mix (if it exists), Echoes screen films, additional Meddle Tour footage
Blu-ray 2: Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii (first time in HD)
Blue Vinyl print of album
HD Audio download card
Lithograph of tour poster
Lithograph of Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii one-sheet poster

Animals (Immersion Box Set)
CD 2: Demos, live recordings (Olympic Stadium spitting incident?), 8-track version of album (Pigs On the Wing pts. 1&2 with Snowy White's solo bridge)
DVD 1: 48/24 stereo, quad, & 5.1 mix of the album
DVD 2: Screen films, tour footage
Blu-ray: 96/24 album in stereo, quad & 5.1; screen films, tour footage
Pink vinyl print of album
HD Audio download card
Inflatable pig

The Final Cut (Immersion Box Set)
CD 1: Album remastered (original track listing)
CD 2: Extra Bricks (The Wall songs re-recorded for the film, "The Tigers Broke Free" pts. 1 & 2), demos
DVD: 48/24 album in stereo & 5.1, The Final Cut Video EP
Blu-ray: 96/24 Album in stereo & 5.1, The Final Cut Video EP (first time in HD)
Red vinyl print of album
Lithograph of album promotional poster

A Momentary Lapse of Reason (Immersion Box Set)

CD 2: Delicate Sound of Thunder, disc 1
CD 3: Delicate Sound of Thunder, disc 2
CD 4: Demos, additional live recordings
DVD 1: Album in 48/24 Stereo & 5.1
DVD 2: Delicate Sound of Thunder concert film, music videos, screen films
Blu-ray 1: Album in 96/24 Stereo & 5.1, Screen films, music videos
Blu-ray 2: Delicate Sound of Thunder concert film (first time in HD)
Violet vinyl print of album
HD Audio download card
Lithograph of "Pink Floyd on the Road" concert poster
Inflatable bed

P.U.L.S.E. (Immersion Box Set)
CD 1: Album, disc 1
CD 2: Album, disc 2
CD 3: Additional live tracks from North American leg of the tour ("Wearing the Inside Out," "Lost for Words," etc.)
DVD 1: Concert film, disc 1, screen films
DVD 2: Concert film, disc 2, behind-the-scenes
DVD 3: Album in 48/24 Stereo & 5.1
Blu-ray: Album in 96/24 Stereo & 5.1, screen films in HD
Mirrored vinyl print of double album
HD Audio download card
Division Bell Heads bookends

Wish You Were Here (clear vinyl print)
HD audio download card

The Wall (SACD, Blu-ray)
DSD; 96/24 Album in Stereo & 5.1

The Wall (White vinyl print)
HD Audio download card

Hey… I can dream...

Last edited by txfilmguy; 07-07-2014 at 11:15 AM.
post #45 of 45 Old 07-08-2014, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone heard of any further discussion of more Immersion Sets since the first round were released? Yes, Division Bell was a nice (yet too expensive for me) surprise, but I don't think this is considered an official Immersion Set like DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall. Any glimmer of hope to hang on to from a legit source?
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page