Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

5 albums in hi-rez surround for ~$50?!
Seems like a steal to me.

FYI

Each sector set contains:

5 remastered redbook cd's 16/44 welcome to 1985

1 disc containing 24/96 stereo and multichannel material.

Clever marketing...........bragging 24/96 with no mention of downgrade to 16/44.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 11-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It would have been nice if they had at least put in another DVD or blu ray with the 96/24 stereo mixes of the 4 not presented in 5.1 ..... Then I'd be all over it.
post #63 of 75 Old 11-27-2011, 01:05 AM

Liked: 14
agree.........just adding the 24/96 stereo tracks to the other 4 would make the sets worth it.

I mean a hardcore fan already purchased the original 16/44 cd, the 1997 remastered 16/44 cd, and now has to buy another 16/44 remaster???

compact disc arrived when? in 1982?

giving the hardcore fans 24/96 after 30 years isn't alot to ask IMO.
post #64 of 75 Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A very interesting interview with Masterdisk chief engineer Andy VanDette, the gentleman that remastered the 15 records in this release is available on the Masterdisk website. Regardless of your opinion of whether this is worth the asking price, the interview is a fascinating look into what goes into the process of remastering 30 year old tapes.

Here is what Andy had to say about his overall approach:

Quote:
I wanted to do as little as possible so that the masters could truly speak for themselves. Being recorded in the vinyl era, they were optimized for that medium. People like more bottom end these days and with earbuds and laptops as the primary playback monitors, it is understandable. I tried to nudge them in a warmer, thicker direction, but not cloud the guitars or the legendary Neil Peart snare.

And here is what he had to say about some of the surprises he found along the way:

Quote:
Some of the albums weren't as thin toppy as I thought the were going to be. And for some I had a better source than the 1997 remasters. Some are brighter and clearer. Grace Under Pressure I tried for three days to make the tape transfer that I did sound as good as the existing CD. I figured that with the kind of care I put into the transfer and having the original source it would be a no-brainer; that this would be better than what's been out there. But it just wasn't the case: the tape didn't age well. It had lost lots of clarity. So I ended up using the 192 kHz transfer.

Click on this link for the entire interview.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #65 of 75 Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Once again Rush uses idiots to mix and release their great material. I ain't paying a dime for these new releases.
post #66 of 75 Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I saw mentioned on MusicTAP today that there appear to be some problems with two of the discs in the first two Sector boxes. Here's the official word on it from the band website:

Quote:

We are aware of some slight technical issues surrounding the CD of Fly By Night' inside the Sector 1 box set release and the DVD for A Farewell To Kings' inside the Sector 2 box set that some fans are experiencing. It stems from a production flaw and it is currently being addressed. As soon as production is completed a formal announcement of how to replace the discs will follow shortly. Please be aware that there may be a time delay in shipping and receiving the disc and we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience - Geddy, Alex & Neil

Something to bear in mind, anyway.

post #67 of 75 Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've heard the problem with the Fly By Night cd but haven't heard it on the A Farewell To Kings dvd yet but I still decided to get replacements for both.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #68 of 75 Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM

Rush "Sectors" - Replacement Disks Now Available

UPDATE: Rush.com has announced that the replacement disks for the Sectors boxed sets are now available:
"Replacement 'Fly By Night' CDs and 'A Farewell To Kings' DVDs are now available.
For US & Canadian fans, please contact Universal customer services team on:
e-mail: FishersCustSvc@umusic.com
Phone: 1-800-288-5942

For fans in the UK & Ireland please contact:
UK e-mail: mk.customerservices@umusic.com
UK Phone: +44 (0) 845 250 0965

For fans in Germany please contact:
Germany e-mail: rush@universal-music.de

For fans in any other country please contact your original Sector store where you made the purchase for assistance in getting your replacement discs. Universal will ensure corrected discs get to the Sector-buying fans worldwide as soon as they possibly can." - Rush.com, February 7, 2012
post #69 of 75 Old 04-28-2012, 05:10 PM

I did receive my replacement discs and I am still having the same problem with my A Farewell To Kings DVD. My surround mode won't engage and it locks up my player. Did anybody experience the same thing because this is getting annoying. I emailed them for the replacements last time but this time a phone call is warranted!. Now I have two faulty discs of the same title!
post #70 of 75 Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

Once again Rush uses idiots to mix and release their great material. I ain't paying a dime for these new releases.

They sound awesome on their "Live in Rio" Concert DVD, but (and they wouldn't admit it)there is a A/V sync issue, a major A/V sync issue, plus they used a dumb excuse for not having a anamorphic image with Neil on that DVD. Hoping any future releases are fixed. Where's the Q/C with Rush?!

Jeff
post #71 of 75 Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtullfan View Post

I did receive my replacement discs and I am still having the same problem with my A Farewell To Kings DVD. My surround mode won't engage and it locks up my player. Did anybody experience the same thing because this is getting annoying. I emailed them for the replacements last time but this time a phone call is warranted!. Now I have two faulty discs of the same title!

Once again Universal drops the ball on the replacement for my replacement DVD! Same problem where it just won't engage in surround and stays in the root mode. The Fly By Night DVD from the sector set plays just fine. Customer service told me if the replacements didn't work then they don't know what to tell me. What should I do next? Contact Rush directly?
post #72 of 75 Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtullfan View Post

Once again Universal drops the ball on the replacement for my replacement DVD! Same problem where it just won't engage in surround and stays in the root mode. The Fly By Night DVD from the sector set plays just fine. Customer service told me if the replacements didn't work then they don't know what to tell me. What should I do next? Contact Rush directly?

I had this issue as well and it was the firmware on my Oppo BDP83 that was the issue. When I updated the firmware on my oppo all was good.
You can read about it here:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ewell+to+kings
post #73 of 75 Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petezac View Post

I had this issue as well and it was the firmware on my Oppo BDP83 that was the issue. When I updated the firmware on my oppo all was good.
You can read about it here:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ewell+to+kings

I don't think the lady at Universal had a a clue about that. She told me to send my discs back to them and they will look into it further. I sent them along with the make and model of my player because in the back of my mind, firmware issue was a possibility. They told me I was the only one reporting the issue which I thought that was highly peculiar.
post #74 of 75 Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I wasn't going to purchase these sets, as the prices were just too high to justify for the content I really wanted: the surround disk(s).

But I found them (via Amazon resellers) for much better prices slightly used, so I jumped on them. I've already received and listened to Sector 2 - AFTK, and that is very nice indeed. Looking forward to FBN and Signals now.

The rest of the back-catalog in 5.1, please, Messrs Lee, Lifeson and Peart.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #75 of 75 Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got Moving Pictures and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Damn The Torpedoes at the same time. Was impressed with the Petty release not so much with the Rush. Moving Pictures sounded compressed to me. Really disappointed in the drum sound. I read such positive reviews of Moving Pictures that I thought maybe something was amiss with my system. I played Hotel California and Rumours and everything sounded fine. Moving Pictures sounded flat by comparison.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page