Three Rush hi-rez 5.1 releases announced - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings, and Signals are coming in hi-rez DVD-A 5.1 on 11/21/11 as part of three separate releases. From the Universal Music Group's Distribution infosheet:

On November 21st, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) celebrates the legacy of Canadian rock trio Rush with the release of three separate six-disc box sets which together spans their entire historic Mercury Records recording career. Each 'Sector' contains five of their 15 Mercury albums in chronological order, all transferred to high resolution 96kHz/24-bit and digitally remastered for optimal quality. In addition, each volume includes an exclusive booklet packed with unpublished photos, original album lyrics and credits, and features one album from each set specially remixed on DVD in high resolution 96kHz/24-bit, 5.1 surround sound and stereo, compatible with both DVD-Audio players and DVD-Video players. Each album is packaged in a replica vinyl mini-jacket of the original album release with all three box sets forming a Rush CD road case.

SECTOR 1: Rush - All The World's A Stage, and on DVD in 5.1, Fly By Night
SECTOR 2: A Farewell To Kings - Exit Stage Left, and on DVD in 5.1, A Farewell To Kings
SECTOR 3: Signals - A Show Of Hands, and on DVD in 5.1, Signals

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Link?

The Hun
post #3 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
cool. hope they are hi-rez. also hope they sound better than moving pictures.
post #4 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

cool. hope they are hi-rez. also hope they sound better than moving pictures.

I liked Moving Pictures

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #5 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This is great news.

MP was pretty good - but who says they can't do it better with the rest?

I'd prefer it if they stick to only the takes used in the originals though.
post #6 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 499
This is worrisome. Does this mean the other 11 albums will not be issued in 5.1? Hopefully the remaining titles will be issued separately in 5.1.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #7 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Awesome! Signals is my favorite album of theirs.

P.S. I thought Moving Pictures in 5.1 was very well done.

Now, let's get some more artists in 5.1. How about a little Hendrix? Beatles? Jefferson Airplane? Maybe even a little Led Zep or U2.
post #8 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

most user reviews i've read have liked the moving pictures blu ray 5.1 very much. i just wonder - are people comparing it to the universe of hi-rez music? or the redbook of moving pictures? because it's definitely better than the redbook. but when i compare the blu ray to what i would rate as the some of the best sounding hi-rez discs like hotel california or sea change....well moving pictures falls short for me. numerically, if i rated hotel california and sea change a 9.5/10 then moving pictures would be a 7/10. to me, it's ok but doesn't come close to some of the gold standards.
post #9 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

but when i compare the blu ray to what i would rate as the some of the best sounding hi-rez discs like hotel california or sea change....well moving pictures falls short for me. numerically, if i rated hotel california and sea change a 9.5/10 then moving pictures would be a 7/10. to me, it's ok but doesn't come close to some of the gold standards.

I have hotel california and sea change and could not agree more. They are in a whole different class than Moving Pictures. Golden Age (Sea Change) is a technological masterpiece. BTW I have the dvda of MP but from everything I've read it's the same as the blu ray.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #10 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 66
A bit odd choice of releases considering Permanent Waves was not included.
But it is promising and perhaps more releases are in the offing.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #11 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

most user reviews i've read have liked the moving pictures blu ray 5.1 very much. i just wonder - are people comparing it to the universe of hi-rez music? or the redbook of moving pictures? because it's definitely better than the redbook. but when i compare the blu ray to what i would rate as the some of the best sounding hi-rez discs like hotel california or sea change....well moving pictures falls short for me. numerically, if i rated hotel california and sea change a 9.5/10 then moving pictures would be a 7/10. to me, it's ok but doesn't come close to some of the gold standards.

I'm definitely not comparing it to my reference SACD/DVD-As like Sea Change, Avalon, Hotel California, etc. I'm just saying that I enjoyed it and to me it's the most enjoyable version of the album I've heard. If the rest of the Rush releases are of comparable quality I would have no problem paying the relatively inexpensive prices.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #12 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Would you make the same numerical rating for the CD's LP's as well?

The Hun
post #13 of 75 Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrix View Post

Awesome! Signals is my favorite album of theirs.

P.S. I thought Moving Pictures in 5.1 was very well done.

Now, let's get some more artists in 5.1. How about a little Hendrix? Beatles? Jefferson Airplane? Maybe even a little Led Zep or U2.

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won is 5.1 on DVD-A
post #14 of 75 Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have all 3 too (Hotel Cal in DVDA, Sea Change in SACD, Moving Pic in BluRay), and generally agree. But, as an "old"-Rush fan (Grace Under Pressure & earlier), I'll still buy any new 5.1 hi-rez releases.
post #15 of 75 Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is disappointing in that the 5.1 mixes will (at least initially) only be available as part of a very expensive box set. The Amazon links currently show the price of each set as $45.03! At those prices one would have to spend over $135 to get the hi-rez 5.1 material. I can't imagine too many takers at that level.

I suspect that there will be more forthcoming next year, hopefully at more reasonable prices.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #16 of 75 Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd View Post

I have all 3 too (Hotel Cal in DVDA, Sea Change in SACD, Moving Pic in BluRay), and generally agree. But, as an "old"-Rush fan (Grace Under Pressure & earlier), I'll still buy any new 5.1 hi-rez releases.

i would too. hopefully the 5.1 hi-rez discs will eventually be sold individually because the box set is too high. and i only want the 5.1's.
post #17 of 75 Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Curious, given MP was on bluray, that they'd look backwards for an older, failed format like DVD-A for these. But, given the price tag for multi-album boxed set remasters, $45 a pop actually isn't too bad, particularly if (and it's a big if) the remastering improves some of the 2-channel versions.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #18 of 75 Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won is 5.1 on DVD-A

True, but a 5.1 of a live album (imho) is different than a studio offering. That, and I've also heard mixed reviews of the How the West was Won 5.1. If someone could convince me otherwise, I would love to hear it.

That being said, I do like the 5.1 offerings of the Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East and Eat a Peach (both the live and studio tracks on that album).
post #19 of 75 Old 10-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

Curious, given MP was on bluray, that they'd look backwards for an older, failed format like DVD-A for these.

There are still many dvd-a capable players out there, either standalone players or part of an HTiB (from Samsung, LG for example and especially Panasonic) which many people bought though they probably did not know what that "Dvd-Audio" logo meant at the time. Now they will!

But also, dvd-a offers something significant that Blu-ray does not and that is backwards compatibility for dvd-video players in the form of 5.1 DTS and/or Dolby Digital tracks and hi-res PCM stereo tracks all the way up to the 96/24 format. And that also includes mobile dvd-video systems.
post #20 of 75 Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 AM

Liked: 14
The advantage DVD-A has for me over BD is that I can play DVD-A's in my car, which has a DVD-A surround player. A lot of cars have DVD-A players in them and most of their owners don't even realize it. That's why I purchased Moving Pictures in DVD-A instead of BD. I have a BD player at home, but DVD-A is more versatile.
post #21 of 75 Old 10-15-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post

The advantage DVD-A has for me over BD is that I can play DVD-A's in my car, which has a DVD-A surround player. A lot of cars have DVD-A players in them and most of their owners don't even realize it. That's why I purchased Moving Pictures in DVD-A instead of BD. I have a BD player at home, but DVD-A is more versatile.

Back when I researched DVD-As in cars a few years back, I only knew of the Acura TL where it came stock. Fairly common now, or only aftermarket or "high end" sound systems only? Just curious, as I'll be in the market for a new car in next 1-2 yrs & haven't researched the topic in a while.
post #22 of 75 Old 10-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Just pre-ordered all 3 from Amazon.....

In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......
post #23 of 75 Old 10-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd View Post

Back when I researched DVD-As in cars a few years back, I only knew of the Acura TL where it came stock. Fairly common now, or only aftermarket or "high end" sound systems only? Just curious, as I'll be in the market for a new car in next 1-2 yrs & haven't researched the topic in a while.

Check out this forum for listings of cars with factory surround systems: Mobile Audio.
post #24 of 75 Old 10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Really wish that Rush had taken the same approach with these releases as they did with Moving pictures. I'm worried that many fans of 5.1 will pass on these sets because of the incomplete nature of the surround treatment and that the record company will interpret that as a lack of interest in surround (as opposed to a poorly conceived release) and not invest in further releases. Hope I'm wrong!

I also hope that 2112 has not been included here in 5.1 because there is the view that it can carry a deluxe edition on its own (as MP did).

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #25 of 75 Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The Digital Bits reported that HD Tracks will have all 15 albums in 24/96 for download at around $17.99 each.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #26 of 75 Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Occurred to me that this might be a possibility - is great news! Makes the physical boxes tougher to justify though (maybe I'll get the boxes, keep the three DVDs and try to sell the CDs on eBay).

post #27 of 75 Old 10-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
"Each album is packaged in a replica vinyl mini-jacket"

This means scratched discs for sure............no respect for the customer ....the dumming down of society.

Almost all the cd's I get now have marks or chips or cloudy...pockmarked jokes as a play surface............every remastered U2 cd that I bought was marked up......and they are in a jewel case.

The manufacturing standards for all disc's has gone way down.
post #28 of 75 Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

"Each album is packaged in a replica vinyl mini-jacket"

This means scratched discs for sure............no respect for the customer ....the dumming down of society.

Almost all the cd's I get now have marks or chips or cloudy...pockmarked jokes as a play surface............every remastered U2 cd that I bought was marked up......and they are in a jewel case.

The manufacturing standards for all disc's has gone way down.

there's a certain irony about this post...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #29 of 75 Old 10-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

Curious, given MP was on bluray, that they'd look backwards for an older, failed format like DVD-A for these. But, given the price tag for multi-album boxed set remasters, $45 a pop actually isn't too bad, particularly if (and it's a big if) the remastering improves some of the 2-channel versions.

Agreed - DVD-A doesn't have a future. No Blu-ray, no buy.
post #30 of 75 Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 AM

Liked: 13
MP was on DVDA as well as Bluray.

I bought the DVDA because while I can play both, support for DVDA is needed. I won't buy any Porcupine Tree unless it's on DVDA...

Chris
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page