post #91 of 112 Old 02-19-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

My wish is that someone savvy could open up a "sticky" in this forum area where we could post info on what's actually scheduled to be released in surround music, in various countries, so that there is one place to refer to...much like the 3D Blu Ray release sticky. Need some real releases to look forwards to!

Pretty short list...

TAAB
NIN

Any others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

Pretty short list...

TAAB
NIN

Any others?

Two King Crimson and two Gentle Giant titles...
post #93 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LOTS of great suggestions! I'll throw mine into the ring...

Bryan Ferry- Mamouna
Golden Palominos- Dead Inside (though- I'd probably have to listen with all of the lights in the house on- at least for the first track, Victim. What a creep-fest!)
Beth Orton- Trailer Park
Julian Cope- Peggy Suicide
William Orbit- Hinterland
post #94 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

Pretty short list...

TAAB
NIN

Any others?

Thick as a Brick Part 2 is scheduled for an April 2nd release. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an official release date for the surround mix of the original yet.

Also unfortunate is that the 5.1 mix of Thick as a Brick Part 2 won't be in a lossless format.
post #95 of 112 Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd personally like to see ANYTHING from the past 2 decades that was in the top 40 (country, rock, or pop) for more than a month.
post #96 of 112 Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
These two CDs would be absolutely awesome as HiRez 5.1 multichannel:

Snow Borne Sorrow, Original Release Date: October 13, 2005, David Sylvian (Nine Horses). My favorites:
-- The Banality of Evil
-- Atom and Cell
-- The Librarian

Sleepwalkers, Original Release Date: September 28, 2010, David Sylvian. My favorites:
-- Ballad Of A Deadman (Feat. Joan Wasser)
-- Sugarfuel

Relatively new recordings. Hopefully the master files are well done and could be remastered to multichannel. Both albums have so many soulful - blues - jazz - modern music aspects. All the instruments evoke strong feelings in the listener. Truly worth a listen. Give it a few listens and you will find yourself falling in love with many of the tracks over and over again.

marcus

Our Personal Website:

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
post #97 of 112 Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

There had been rumor floating awhile back that the surround mix might be included as part of the Paul Simon Graceland super box package. But it's up for pre-order now on Amazon, and it looks like there's no surround there.
post #98 of 112 Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Haven't seen this anywhere on this site, but got the info here:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...Surround/page4

ELP is getting their 1st 6 albums re-mastered and w/ 5.1 as well, according to their website. The 1st two, ELP and Tarkus are up for pre-order at amazon.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarkus-Lake-...8&sr=8-1-fkmr0
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emerson-Lake...=pd_sim_m_h__1

3 disc sets:
1: CD with original mix in most recent remastered form /
2: CD with new stereo mix of the album and unreleased pieces and alternate takes found on the tapes /
3: DVD with 5.1 mix and all the stereo material.

And who's doing the mixes? None other than Mr. Wilson himself! Very much looking forward to this, esp. Tarkus and Pictures at an Exhibition.
post #99 of 112 Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
PS:
No news on 5.1 codec, but since this is a Sony project (ELP recently sold catalog rights to them), everyone is assuming no dvd-a or sacd; best we can hope for is DTS 24/96, apparently. To me, the quality of the mix is much more important than the codec, even if its lossy. Since the fabulous SW is doing the mix, these should be tasty indeed!
post #100 of 112 Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

I would rather have one Blu-ray with all stereo and multi-channel versions in a lossless format (PCM, MasterAudio, or TrueHD).

Why bother with any other delivery medium?

The Grocers' Apostrophe, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #101 of 112 Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Haven't seen this anywhere on this site, but got the info here:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...Surround/page4

ELP is getting their 1st 6 albums re-mastered and w/ 5.1 as well, according to their website. The 1st two, ELP and Tarkus are up for pre-order at amazon.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarkus-Lake-...8&sr=8-1-fkmr0
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emerson-Lake...=pd_sim_m_h__1

3 disc sets:
1: CD with original mix in most recent remastered form /
2: CD with new stereo mix of the album and unreleased pieces and alternate takes found on the tapes /
3: DVD with 5.1 mix and all the stereo material.

And who's doing the mixes? None other than Mr. Wilson himself! Very much looking forward to this, esp. Tarkus and Pictures at an Exhibition.

Great find! Thanks for posting! Worth it's own thread as more information comes out. I never thought these were really going to see the light of day, so it's a nice surprise.
post #102 of 112 Old 05-11-2012, 06:10 PM

A completely off-the-wall, economically unfeasible suggestion:

Two albums from an old comedy group called Firesign Theatre:

We're All Bozos On This Bus
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

and why not... (from the same bunch)

Waiting for the Electrician
How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All

Extremely quirky (and hilarious) 1970's dope humour, but you kinda had to be there.

Anyway, the 4 guys involved creating these records were very talented in the soound effects department. They would have had a blast dinking around with 5.1. Only problem: most hardcore fans of Firesign Theatre are probably now burnt-out hippies without two pennies to rub between their fingers let alone invest in 5.1.
post #103 of 112 Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrio View Post

A completely off-the-wall, economically unfeasible suggestion:

Two albums from an old comedy group called Firesign Theatre:

We're All Bozos On This Bus
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

and why not... (from the same bunch)

Waiting for the Electrician
How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All

Extremely quirky (and hilarious) 1970's dope humour, but you kinda had to be there.

Anyway, the 4 guys involved creating these records were very talented in the soound effects department. They would have had a blast dinking around with 5.1. Only problem: most hardcore fans of Firesign Theatre are probably now burnt-out hippies without two pennies to rub between their fingers let alone invest in 5.1.

If I remember correctly, weren't there old quad recordings of some of the Firesign Theatre albums?

I seem to recall some quad transfers for I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus and Everything You Know is Wrong floating around the interweb thingy. However, I could be imagining it with my burnt-out hippie brain.
post #104 of 112 Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

If I remember correctly, weren't there old quad recordings of some of the Firesign Theatre albums?

I seem to recall some quad transfers for I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus and Everything You Know is Wrong floating around the interweb thingy. However, I could be imagining it with my burnt-out hippie brain.

Sounds like a job for Nick Danger.......third eye!
post #105 of 112 Old 05-13-2012, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just saw this, although I would rather have the hard media...

http://www.audiostream.com/content/w...-e-onkyo-music

Some quick yen/dollar calcs show about $38 (min) per album or $5 per single (min), and the content of the library, said to be about 100 albums/1000 tracks is unclear, but should emerge in Japan by the end of the month, and some time in the Fall for the USA.
post #106 of 112 Old 05-14-2012, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Will be interesting to see the list of 100 albums. Hopefully some newer things and not all one genre. 38$ pretty steep, more than HD Tracks, but if they are in 5.1 it might be cheaper than chasing some discs on ebay.
post #107 of 112 Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
the content of those 5.1 streams may already be known as contained in the Onkyo sublink in the article and press release, but I could not translate to English...my concern is the rather steep price, and those are mins...the stuff I want will no doubt be more.
post #108 of 112 Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
A lot of good suggestions here, I wish we could get the spigot opened up on surround releases in general!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

That is a great list, though I'd toss Jethro Tull and insert Deep Purple - Deep Purple. (Since this is a Wish List I can pretend there's a master tape somewhere that doesn't suck.)

I would add back Jethro Tull, but make it "Songs From the Wood"; and remove Deep Purple, and replace with Rainbow - Rainbow Rising.

Heck, keep them all.
post #109 of 112 Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Being that we're wishing here, I've alway thought the following albums would be great in 5.1

1) Tool Aenima, or pretty much anything else

2) Pink Floyd The Wall, boy do I wish this one would pop up some time in the next 6 month or so!

3) Radio Head In Rainbows I'm just in love with this album, I think it's so romantic in it's own way.

4) Sara Tavares Balance, I have a friend that know the artist mother. I joke around and tell her to tell her moms to tell her daughter to realest this album in sacd..My friend doesn't even know what the hell i"m taking about, there's this strange look at the end of the conversation..

5) Skinny Puppy Rabies, I just love this album from start to finish..I know it may not be for everyone but I think it deserves some sort of hi rez treatment, I spend my late teen years listeing to this master piece, even went to see them do this. I believe they had broke up and got back together right after the release of Rabies, took so much out of the band.

That's my list and I'm sticking to it..

DJoel

Nice to see another Skinny Puppy fan. smile.gif I think any of their albums would sound great in 5.1, especially since they already have great stereo seperation. Warlock is one of my favorite songs by them. That album actually wasn't the finish of the band. Ogre had done some touring with Ministry on their Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste tour(documented on the In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up Live VHS), which helped to introduce guitars into the sound. The Last Rights was when they broke up, I think by the end of the tour Ogre and Cevin just didn't get along that well. Ogre had his own side projects as did Cevin, who had Download, Hilt and a couple of other ones I think. The recording of The Process is what really took the most out of them. They spent a couple of hundred thousand dollars on the recording going through a couple of different producers. Dwayne at that point began to get depressed about the whole thing and was doing heroine, which Ogre and Cevin were unaware of the extent at which he was doing it. Sadly that led to Dwayne's passing as well as what seemed like a permanent break up. Then the reunion show that was recorded for Back and Forth VL.5 led to Ogre and Cevin getting back together and mending broken fences. They have a new live CD coming out soon, or it already is out. I agree with The Wall and anything by Tool as well. I was hoping for the release of NIN's Pretty Hate Machine in surround sound, but it looks like it won't happen, which is sad. Would have been a nice companion piece to The Downward Spiral.

Cliff
post #110 of 112 Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

Nice to see another Skinny Puppy fan. smile.gif I think any of their albums would sound great in 5.1, especially since they already have great stereo seperation. Warlock is one of my favorite songs by them. That album actually wasn't the finish of the band. Ogre had done some touring with Ministry on their Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste tour(documented on the In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up Live VHS), which helped to introduce guitars into the sound. The Last Rights was when they broke up, I think by the end of the tour Ogre and Cevin just didn't get along that well. Ogre had his own side projects as did Cevin, who had Download, Hilt and a couple of other ones I think. The recording of The Process is what really took the most out of them. They spent a couple of hundred thousand dollars on the recording going through a couple of different producers. Dwayne at that point began to get depressed about the whole thing and was doing heroine, which Ogre and Cevin were unaware of the extent at which he was doing it. Sadly that led to Dwayne's passing as well as what seemed like a permanent break up. Then the reunion show that was recorded for Back and Forth VL.5 led to Ogre and Cevin getting back together and mending broken fences. They have a new live CD coming out soon, or it already is out. I agree with The Wall and anything by Tool as well. I was hoping for the release of NIN's Pretty Hate Machine in surround sound, but it looks like it won't happen, which is sad. Would have been a nice companion piece to The Downward Spiral.

Thanks for the vast info Darkpoet25, yes I feel like a fan mainly because I use to follow their album releases little a Puppy starting with Mind. The Perpetual intercourse , but gave up right after The Process, or last Rights can't recall was last for me. I like Warlock, but Tin omen has a special place in my heart, maybe because all the bruise it took during the rapid drumming while slam dancing in the middle of the War Saw Ball room here in NYC back in the early 90's chip a tooth, ah the memories!
I gotta go look In case you Didn't Feel like Showing Up live on Blu Ray, highly doubt it's on the format, we use watch that tape religiously, Jourgensen's a really showman along with Jello and Luc van Acker speaking of I'm a big fan of RevCo as well.. All good stuff, that would never make it in Hi Def, well I did order a disc from this guy over Ebay who claim he can mix 2 channel tunes into 5.1, I should receive the disc, and I'll be judging to see if it just some faux-mix, Matrix type hype or what.

On Pretty Hate Machine I also doubt we see it as it just received some special anniversary treatment, yet no hi rez multi channel mix rolleyes.gif, the sound production in and 2 channel separation it's all ready amazing, seem fairly easy and straight forward on what it needs, not allot of thinking for the engineer, I would think which only leads me to think it's like everything else money.mad.gif

Cheers

Djoel
post #111 of 112 Old 06-16-2012, 02:01 AM

Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Meddle (Echoes is perfect for this medium!)
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat
The Cars - first two albums

Cheers! Big Rich
post #112 of 112 Old 06-17-2012, 02:06 AM

Always keen on getting anything in DTS 5.1 from the following....

Porcupine Tree
Pink Floyd
Dire Straits
Aerosmith
Acoustic Alchemy

Do have Porcupine Tree Strange Dream and that sounds fantastic as well as Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (Alan Parson's rare release in quadraphonic 4.1 pcm and dts)
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page