post #31 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

When you connect a sd card to a pc through a reader, it will just look like an additional hard drive when you open My Computer. Simple matter of drag and drop or cut/paste.

Thank you for that. It got me out to newegg for a look.

Best I can figure (so far) is that if I can get this thing to work, I won't need an SD card nor a PC reader of SD cards.

It'll be data straight from the player (Panasonic DMP-BD85) to a file on the PC's HDD via ethernet cable (network settings) to my PC

FWIW I've a fair amount of PC and network experience and 2L's lack of any howto info on actually doing this is not a good sign.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If both devices are on the local network, just open a browser window on the PC and type in the IP of the player. The disc must be loaded in the player with the mShuttle function displayed, and BD-Live must be on in the player, then do the browser trick.

Have you actually done this yourself on your home PC?

What exactly is it that I need for my network setup for this to work?

FWIW I e-mailed 2L yesterday with this:

<"Kindly setup info address or a web page on 2L.com.no on how to use mshuttle

The key questions are:
1. finding the internet address of the player (I think I've got this OK)
2. setting up the browser to correctly use this internet address
3. do I connect the player *directly* to the personal computer?

Thank you in advance">

I have a bad feeling about this whole thing at this point. To keep it short, bad because it's not simple and bad for other reasons also. I'm not holding my breath on this, but still somewhat hopeful.

Is the glass half empty or half full?

post #33 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

I have a bad feeling about this whole thing at this point. To keep it short, bad because it's not simple and bad for other reasons also. I'm not holding my breath on this, but still somewhat hopeful.

Is the glass half empty or half full?

I'm not really sure where your confusion lies, it's a pretty easy process.
You do have a local network, right? The player and PC are connected to that network? You can find your player's IP either in the player's setup menus or in your router's setup (connected devices). Assuming the BD player is profile 2 and has BD-Live enabled, just open the mShuttle dialog in the disc menu and follow the instructions.
post #34 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not really sure where your confusion lies, it's a pretty easy process.
You do have a local network, right? The player and PC are connected to that network? You can find your player's IP either in the player's setup menus or in your router's setup (connected devices). Assuming the BD player is profile 2 and has BD-Live enabled, just open the mShuttle dialog in the disc menu and follow the instructions.

As I asked you very recently: Have you actually done this yourself on your home PC?

I'd appreciate an answer on that from you.

Yes you've done it on your home PC

or

No you've not done it on your home PC.

With regard to my e-mail to 2L on this, I've still not a word from them.

And at this point 24 hours out, I'm not holding my breath on input from 2L.

Meaning no support from 2L.

If it were "easy" as you say above, odds are that there would be others posting with something to help me out on this.

Or at a minimum a web site howto on details of doing this.

Sadly none seems to exist.

Meaning that you're the only one suggesting that it's "easy"

post #35 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As I asked you very recently: Have you actually done this yourself on your home PC?

Yes, it takes all of about 1 min to open the dialog on the disc then establish the connection and open the interface page on a PC.

Screen shot of the browser interface:
LL
post #36 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it takes all of about 1 min to open the dialog on the disc then establish the connection and open the interface page on a PC.

Tried that and didn't get anywhere. And it took me way more than 1 minute.

To 2L: mid-pricey hybrid SACD and you've got my vote(dollar);
high-pricey blu-ray combo that can't be downloaded to my
PC and you can kiss me goodbye.

post #37 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Tried that and didn't get anywhere. And it took me way more than 1 minute.

To 2L: mid-pricey hybrid SACD and you've got my vote(dollar);
high-pricey blu-ray combo that can't be downloaded to my
PC and you can kiss me goodbye.

You do know that all those files are right there on the disc, right? If you have a BD drive in your PC and decrypting software, you can just copy them off the disc.
post #38 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You do know that all those files are right there on the disc, right? If you have a BD drive in your PC and decrypting software, you can just copy them off the disc.

That doesn't mean anything to me, and I don't have a BD drive in my PC.

To repeat, this is what I asked 2L:

<"Kindly setup info address or a web page on 2L.com.no on how to use mshuttle

The key questions are:
1. finding the internet address of the player (I think I've got this OK)
2. setting up the browser to correctly use this internet address
3. do I connect the player *directly* to the personal computer?

Thank you in advance">

If I don't get an e-mail response from 2L, I'll never buy another thing from them; and I won't speak kindly of them in the future.

post #39 of 67 Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Q2. The browser does not need 'setting up' to connect to the network. You need detailed instructions in how to type the IP address in the browser address bar?
Q3. No unless your computer is configured as a gateway.

The mShuttle is a long-winded way to get some stereo files. If someone spends the money on a MCH disc why bother with uploading stereo files to a computer? If someone only wants the stereo files on a computer just pay to download them directly.

PS. I seem to recall some BDPs need external memory for BD-Live to work...

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #40 of 67 Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Q3. No unless your computer is configured as a gateway.

It's likely this, meaning a network problem.

With the player connected to the PC's rear 2nd ethernet connector, and doing a player test within the player's setup, I see the PC's ethernet connector LED activity light blink, but that comes back as failed on the TV screen.

post #41 of 67 Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like the gateway isn't configured properly (it needs to be set up) - is the player getting a private IP? Don't you have a router to try?

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #42 of 67 Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like the gateway isn't configured properly (it needs to be set up) - is the player getting a private IP? Don't you have a router to try?

I've got some sort of old ethernet hub kicking around somewhere.

Just need to find it, plug it in, and see if that works.

Pretty hit or miss approach.

It'd be nice if 2L or mShuttle actually stated what is needed to communicate with the PC.

post #43 of 67 Old 01-29-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Q1 You said you think you've got the player's IP OK but now I'm not so sure.

What's needed is obviously a gateway somewhere because player BD-Live and computer browsers communicate via TCP/IP and that requires a gateway. Most people don't instinctively connect a BD-Live capable player directly to their computers and see if it works.

post #44 of 67 Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Q1 You said you think you've got the player's IP OK but now I'm not so sure.

What's needed is obviously a gateway somewhere because player BD-Live and computer browsers communicate via TCP/IP and that requires a gateway. Most people don't instinctively connect a BD-Live capable player directly to their computers and see if it works.

It's a possibility. Thanks for that.

BTW, do you have this mShuttle thing working for yourself?

post #45 of 67 Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Try to use any other on-line content on your player (they usually come with pandora, flickr etc.). If it does not work, then your download won'work either.
post #46 of 67 Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Try to use any other on-line content on your player (they usually come with pandora, flickr etc.). If it does not work, then your download won'work either.

I'm not even sure what you're talking about with "on-line content" and pandora/flickr.

I'm using Comcast's broadband. So I know that the ethernet cable that comes out of my DOCSIS-2 cable modem works. FWIW I went cheap and bought DOCSIS-2 given 7 month break even.

Odds are that if I unplug that cable from the PC and then plug it into my Panasonic BD player, then the player will see the internet.

But that won't do anything for xfer of the stereo and MC (MultiChannel) high rez audio files (that are on the BD disc) to my PC.

I'm also not sure that Comcast is much going to like it if I start plugging in stuff like hubs, routers and/or gateway devices when all I've got is low-cost basic TV and mid-level broadband.

I appreciate your post; it seems to me it will take input from someone who's actually used mShuttle to actually do a xfer like this from a BD music disc to a PC.

post #47 of 67 Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I'm not even sure what you're talking about with "on-line content" and pandora/flickr.

I'm using Comcast's broadband. So I know that the ethernet cable that comes out of my DOCSIS-2 cable modem works. FWIW I went cheap and bought DOCSIS-2 given 7 month break even.

Odds are that if I unplug that cable from the PC and then plug it into my Panasonic BD player, then the player will see the internet.

But that won't do anything for xfer of the stereo and MC (MultiChannel) high rez audio files (that are on the BD disc) to my PC.

I'm also not sure that Comcast is much going to like it if I start plugging in stuff like hubs, routers and/or gateway devices when all I've got is low-cost basic TV and mid-level broadband.

I appreciate your post; it seems to me it will take input from someone who's actually used mShuttle to actually do a xfer like this from a BD music disc to a PC.

You have to do more than just plug the cable in. You have to goto Network Settings under your bluray settings menu and configure. It will problem auto detect when you get to the menu... How come you don't run a router into the modem? Gives you the ability to share that connection with multiple devices.
post #48 of 67 Old 01-31-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, do you have this mShuttle thing working for yourself?

I'd surely try it but my 2L BDs don't have it and I'm not interested in those which have. We already have one poster showing he has done it (one is good enough as proof of principle) and reading what he said it's not hard to work out what's needed based on basic network concepts. Since you seem to prefer only people with actual personal mShuttle experience to chime in I'd leave it to others from now on.

Quote:

That's most peculiar and absurd as the amount of traffic within your LAN isn't any concern of the ISP's bandwidth quota. You do realise that when you share files among home computers (or in this case, PC and BDP) it doesn't go through the WAN (beyond the house) to the ISP and back?

post #49 of 67 Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 326
OtherSongs,

From your description, it sounds like you currently have a Comcast cable modem plugged directly into your computer.

If you do not want to use a router, connecting your BD player to your computer will require at least a "crossover" cable between the player and your PC's ethernet connector. A standard straight-through cable can't work. (Since you didn't mention it, I assume the latter is what you tried.) You'll also have to configure the network addresses and routing information in both the PC and the player, changing the PC's settings whenever you connect it to the player instead of to Comcast.

Getting a router from a local purveyor (like Best Buy) and having them configure the networking in the router, PC and player might be the simplest solution for you. Trying to do it through forum postings like this is usually an exercise in futility.

Selden
post #50 of 67 Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

OtherSongs,

From your description, it sounds like you currently have a Comcast cable modem plugged directly into your computer.

If you do not want to use a router, connecting your BD player to your computer will require at least a "crossover" cable between the player and your PC's ethernet connector. A standard straight-through cable can't work.

That's what I tried, and it indeed didn't work.

Quote:

...(Since you didn't mention it, I assume the latter is what you tried.)

Correct. I used a standard straight-through ethernet cable.

Quote:

You'll also have to configure the network addresses and routing information in both the PC and the player, changing the PC's settings whenever you connect it to the player instead of to Comcast.

Getting a router from a local purveyor (like Best Buy) and having them configure the networking in the router, PC and player might be the simplest solution for you. Trying to do it through forum postings like this is usually an exercise in futility.

I've a decent networking skillset, but very rusty.

BTW going to Best Buy for help on this is darkly amusing.

Thanks much for the suggestion on trying a xover cable.

I'll dig my one xover cable out, try it, and post back, one way or the other.

FWIW (for others) xover ethernet cables are very inexpensive, maybe less than $10 for a cable less than 12 foot in length. But I'm not sure what to search for, other than ethernet cable crossover.

Since I've already got one, I leave it to someone else to say what to search for to find one to buy.

post #51 of 67 Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since I've already got one, I leave it to someone else to say what to search for to find one to buy.

Decided to buy up to date cat6 crossover cables, both a 7' and a 14' at monoprice. Totaled out to $9 which includes the shipping.

post #52 of 67 Old 03-06-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Decided to buy up to date cat6 crossover cables, both a 7' and a 14' at monoprice. Totaled out to $9 which includes the shipping.

Did they work?

Selden
post #53 of 67 Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Did they work?

I've a long attention span so I've still not tried them. Meaning that for the moment there's another thing that has my priority.

Anyway I'm assuming that a blu-ray player functions like a PC does, so that'd mean needing a crossover ethernet cable from the blu-ray player to the PC, and a straight-through ethernet cable from the blu-ray player to the cable modem.

FWIW I plan to get around to trying the ethernet crossover cables that I got from monoprice in the next 10 days.

I'll post results here, when I get around to it.

I can add that I rather like the 2L blu-ray and SACD combo disc sets that they sell. Pricey but rather excellent.

If the mShuttle xfer of high rez digital files to my PC doesn't work, odds are that these will be the last 2L discs I'll buy.

post #54 of 67 Old 03-07-2012, 03:19 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've a long attention span so I've still not tried them. Meaning that for the moment there's another thing that has my priority.

Anyway I'm assuming that a blu-ray player functions like a PC does, so that'd mean needing a crossover ethernet cable from the blu-ray player to the PC, and a straight-through ethernet cable from the blu-ray player to the cable modem.

FWIW I plan to get around to trying the ethernet crossover cables that I got from monoprice in the next 10 days.

I'll post results here, when I get around to it.

I can add that I rather like the 2L blu-ray and SACD combo disc sets that they sell. Pricey but rather excellent.

If the mShuttle xfer of high rez digital files to my PC doesn't work, odds are that these will be the last 2L discs I'll buy.

Get to the modern world and buy yourself a router/switch. They are below $100 these days. That way you offload your PC off network duties and strighten your setup, so every device will have Internet access without special configuration done to it.
post #55 of 67 Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Get to the modern world and buy yourself a router/switch. They are below $100 these days. That way you offload your PC off network duties and strighten your setup, so every device will have Internet access without special configuration done to it.

OK maybe I'll try that.

Kindly provide 2 different links to *versatile* "router/switch" costing below $100.

Thank you in advance.

post #56 of 67 Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK maybe I'll try that.

Kindly provide 2 different links to *versatile* "router/switch" costing below $100.

Thank you in advance.

How about this http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...-wzr-hp-g450h/

or this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003B48UQ8

Yoy will likely need to install free DD-WRT software on the last one though.
post #57 of 67 Old 03-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have the Leonard Cohen - Songs from the Road Blu-ray and I'd like to extract the audio and convert to FLAC and play it with the rest of my music collection using foobar or jriver Media Center.

I can extract the audio and video using Blu-ray ripping tools (eac3to), but I haven't been able to convert the Dolby TrueHD audio track to FLAC. The latest version of eac3to just craps out when I try to use it to convert to FLAC. I can't play the audio track with anything except the latest version of VLC.

Does anyone know a way to decode TrueHD to FLAC?

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
post #58 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggplummer View Post

I have the Leonard Cohen - Songs from the Road Blu-ray and I'd like to extract the audio and convert to FLAC and play it with the rest of my music collection using foobar or jriver Media Center.

I can extract the audio and video using Blu-ray ripping tools (eac3to), but I haven't been able to convert the Dolby TrueHD audio track to FLAC. The latest version of eac3to just craps out when I try to use it to convert to FLAC. I can't play the audio track with anything except the latest version of VLC.

Does anyone know a way to decode TrueHD to FLAC?

Did you try to transcode track using VLC? Convert it into WAV first then you can encode into FLAC.
post #59 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Did you try to transcode track using VLC? Convert it into WAV first then you can encode into FLAC.

I think VLC limits it to 16-bit 48KHz. So it would downsample the audio. I want to keep it at the original bitdepth and resolution.

Update: I just checked. VLC allows a maximum bitrate of 512 kbps and sample rate of 48000 Hz. However, there's a check box labeled 'Keep original audio track'. Not sure if that just saves the TrueHD audio or what... I'll give it a try.

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
post #60 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggplummer View Post

I think VLC limits it to 16-bit 48KHz. So it would downsample the audio. I want to keep it at the original bitdepth and resolution.

Update: I just checked. VLC allows a maximum bitrate of 512 kbps and sample rate of 48000 Hz. However, there's a check box labeled 'Keep original audio track'. Not sure if that just saves the TrueHD audio or what... I'll give it a try.

For others wondering what VLC is, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

With the footnote that I've not read it.

Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page