Best format for ripping CD's? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 73 Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
J River, Songbird. Amarra, Decibel,Channel D Pure Music. XBMC will play FLAC not sure if it will rip to FLAC. Some of these cost money. If you are going to go with Apple, the difference between FLAC and ALAC is negligible at best. Both are lossless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If you are seriously considering a Mac Mini you should also check out the HTPC section of this forum and look for Mac Chat you will get some good advice there.
post #63 of 73 Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I am thinking about adding a Mac Mini to my Home theater for mainly hosting music files. What is the best host for Mac? I think I read that the best itunes can do is apple lossless which is 326kbps right? Can any programs for Mac host FLAC files? Thanks!

ALAC is not limited to 326kbps and like FLAC overall averages about half of the original CD (WAV) stream. Most are from about 300kbps to 1000kbps depending on complexity of the music. It is also lossless just like FLAC (analogue: ZIP to RAR comparison). They both will be exactly the same after decoding (open source, lossless and identical to the CD) so there is no need to convert or use FLAC for your purpose.
post #64 of 73 Old 06-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
FLAC.

If you are listening to the files through your home theater system then you might want to just use WAV. It plays ball on everything. The problem is a larger file size than lossless and while dBPoweramp can write metadata/tags to the file, there isn't much that will recognize it.

I'd recommend getting dBpoweramp and then just create MP3 Lame -V0 versions for portable listening.
post #65 of 73 Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to rip all my CDs to ALAC using XLD. Is there any reason to select anything other than "same as original" for the preferences for sample rate and bit depth?

I could manually select up to 92KHz and 32 bits but would this offer any (audible or theoretical) improvement in sound quality or just make my files unnecessarily big?

My gut tells me just use the 'same as original' option but wanted to run it by you guys first.

thanks
post #66 of 73 Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falker11 View Post

I am about to rip all my CDs to ALAC using XLD. Is there any reason to select anything other than "same as original" for the preferences for sample rate and bit depth?

I could manually select up to 92KHz and 32 bits but would this offer any (audible or theoretical) improvement in sound quality or just make my files unnecessarily big?

My gut tells me just use the 'same as original' option but wanted to run it by you guys first.

thanks

Same as original is the only sensible choice.

I'll add that you might reconsider ALAC, since support for that codec is limited outside of Apple devices. FLAC is far more well supported, especially at CD quality.
post #67 of 73 Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 AM

I'll share my two cents.

I would first not use iTunes to rip. It isn't a secure ripper. Second, I've found 256k AAC to be transparent to CD, though I would recommend lossless because then you have a perfect backup of the CD.
post #68 of 73 Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Don't get locked in the ALAC format. FLAC is equally good and is supported by way many devices. Use the native format for this (44.1kHz/16 bit), you can upsample that at playback time if you need. Don't use iTune to archive your stuff either... For Windows world we have:
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/
hogger129 likes this.
post #69 of 73 Old 08-11-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 197
dBPoweramp is an excellent and secure ripper and adds all the artwork and tags for you. Highly recommended for ripping or converting. Includes a batch converter.
post #70 of 73 Old 08-17-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

Don't get locked in the ALAC format....
How does one get "locked" into ALAC?confused.gif It's open source (Apache) and easily converted to any other lossless or lossy format.wink.gif
hogger129 likes this.
post #71 of 73 Old 08-17-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

How does one get "locked" into ALAC?confused.gif It's open source (Apache) and easily converted to any other lossless or lossy format.wink.gif

That's my take on it too. If you need to convert to other formats, iTunes or dbpoweramp Music Converter can do it at the click of a few buttons.
post #72 of 73 Old 08-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

William, don't worry. He has little or no idea of what he talks about, and continually reminds us all of it. smile.gif
post #73 of 73 Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 AM

I'd just go with FLAC via dBPoweramp for archival. If you're interested in listening to music on an iPod, you can get a free app in the iTunes Store that will import the FLAC files and play them.

But for portable listening, I don't see much of a reason to use anything besides Lame -V0 MP3.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page