Ian Anderson: Thick as a Brick 2 in 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Some news on a new Ian Anderson project from MusicTAP.net today--apparently it's a sequel to Thick as a Brick and will be in 5.1 surround sound.

Quote:
Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull revisits Gerald Bostock from Thick as a Brick with a look into his later life on a new album called Thick as a Brick 2. This new title will also be released on a Special Edition that includes a DVD of Steven Wilson-mixed 5.1 tracks from the new album. TAAB2 is scheduled for April 3.

Note that the SE has a DVD, not DVD-Audio--a quick look at an article on the JT website ( http://www.j-tull.com/ ) indicates that it'll have lots of visual content, such as interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff. There will also be a 24-bit stereo mix to go with the 5.1 mix. (No word yet on audio formats, but expect Dolby and/or DTS.)

This sounds good to me. I never really expected a sequel to Thick as a Brick, but it does make sense for Anderson to revisit the character of "Little Milton" after all these decades. I look forward to getting the SE for the 5.1 mix, and I hope that the content lives up to its predecessor. (Especially with Steven Wilson doing the mixing.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody get their copy already of TAAB2? Mine is stuck in the slow shipping queue that Amazon has recently adopted for Super Saver shipping.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday. It's quite enjoyable.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I haven't listened to it yet. The DVD has 24/48 2ch. The surround sound is 6ch 48k DTS and AC3.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've listened t it twice, and it is indeed a fitting sequel to TaaB 1.

The Steve Wilson 5.1 mix is superb, as expected. Only comment on it is that the bass is mixed quite 'hot', not offensive, but definitely higher than average for other recordings. It will be very interesting to compare against the remix/remaster of the TaaB 1 album supposedly coming out later this year.

I only wish TaaB 1 and TaaB 2were available on Dolbly TueHD Highrez lossless 5.1 via Bluray.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Nil

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Not bad. It was more enjoyable than I had anticipated. On first listen it reminded me more of Heavy Horses than Thick As A Brick. The surround mix was excellent, as expected from Steven Wilson. In the liner notes IA states that SW would have liked inclusion of the saxophone, which was so integral to A Passion Play - the real sequel to TAAB - and it would have been a real treat to hear IA play the sax as well as the flute; but it didn't happen here.

I had also purchased at the same time the Live at Madison Square Garden 1978 concert on CD/DVD, which has DTS 5.1 sound, and it was even more enjoyable than TAAB2 as it had one of the best Jethro Tull line-ups at their peak. The 50+ minute video of the concert was fabulous, and the sound quality was quite good.

What I am eagerly looking forward to is TAAB1 been given the Steven Wilson treatment; followed, hopefully, by A Passion Play!