Worth the investment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was introduced to the SACD format last night at my local CD store. I bought a couple with the understanding that my PS3 (fat) was capable of playing them. When I got home I discovered that it was the one model at 80gb that wouldn't, went through all my old dvd/cd players and found that none of them were capable. Is it, in your opinion, worth it to make the investment in equipment and cds at this point in time? Is this a viable format that still has some releases coming out? From my few hours of research last night and this morning it seems that the low cost option of buying a Sony bluray player may not give me the clarity to fully enjoy these discs. I'm not sure I want to buy another $600-$1000 piece of equipment. Just spent 5k on Aperion Grand Verus 5 speaker setup, Yamaha rx-a3000, Emotiva X-ref 12, Panasonic bdp210, and peripherals. The guy at store said SACD would be great in a semi audiophile setup like mine, just wondering if it would be worth the cost for someone who does not have endless funds? All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Liked: 18
Volfan welcome to the amazing world of SACD/DVDA and Hi-Rez MCH. IMHO depends on a lot of factors which the most important is what kind of music genre you like. If you're into jazz or classical by any means go for it, plenty of titles to go around, if you like pop or rock, new age, etc. that's more complicated as there are not many options and the ones available are somewhat expensive. One other thing not all SACD are MCH, and most of the new jazz issues are stereo, however if you check this thread or sa-cd.net, it will give you the right info on the titles you're interested. In regards to the gear there are a lot of players you can buy cheap, just make sure the outputs of that specific player are compatible with your receiver, ie: HDMI 1.2 at least, or some kind of firewire connection like Denon Link, or 6 analog inputs. Don't use the optical output of your player to connect it to the receiver, it won't work for SACD, at least not as it's properly intended.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan dhp View Post

I was introduced to the SACD format last night at my local CD store. I bought a couple with the understanding that my PS3 (fat) was capable of playing them. When I got home I discovered that it was the one model at 80gb that wouldn't, went through all my old dvd/cd players and found that none of them were capable. Is it, in your opinion, worth it to make the investment in equipment and cds at this point in time? Is this a viable format that still has some releases coming out? From my few hours of research last night and this morning it seems that the low cost option of buying a Sony bluray player may not give me the clarity to fully enjoy these discs. I'm not sure I want to buy another $600-$1000 piece of equipment. Just spent 5k on Aperion Grand Verus 5 speaker setup, Yamaha rx-a3000, Emotiva X-ref 12, Panasonic bdp210, and peripherals. The guy at store said SACD would be great in a semi audiophile setup like mine, just wondering if it would be worth the cost for someone who does not have endless funds? All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Kind of a tricky question, because while SACD is on life support at best, the quality of what's out there (if you can find it and justify the cost) can be exceptional. I would consider either buying a new OPPO 93 which will play every type of shiny, spinning disk out there, or look into a used player of good quality. I see Pioneer 59AVI and 79AVI units in the $100 - $150 range pop up on Agon pretty frequently - have the 59AVI and find it to be a nice piece of gear. I'm sure there are others but can speak to these from first hand experience.

If you go the used route, buy a couple of SACDs that are still available at "normal" prices and see if you like it. If you decided it wasn't worth pursuing, reselling the player probably wouldn't be too hard.
post #4 of 28 Old 02-12-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Get an inexpensive Sony BD player with SACD playback, hook it up via HDMI to your A3000, set your DSP to STRAIGHT and sit back and enjoy. I do something very similar, though via PS3 into an A1000. Works like a charm.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-12-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else second buying the inexpensive Sony? I thought I had read that the cheaper players weren't very good for SACD listening. I was thinking of getting rid of my Panasonic and getting a universal player. Found a universal Marantz in the sub 400 range. Will also check Audiogon and maybe local Craigslist for bargains.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Anyone else second buying the inexpensive Sony? I thought I had read that the cheaper players weren't very good for SACD listening.

If you are using the HDMI connection (as you should), it will do. Questions of its capabilities /quality are only relevant if you use the analog outputs. There is better, of course, but the Sony will do you fine.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #7 of 28 Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

When it comes to recommendations regarding SACD gear and setup, Kal's word is as close to gospel as you're likely to find.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-12-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kal, and Ovation, after reading around for a few hours last night here and at sc-ad I'm aware of Kals reputation and expertise. Was hoping he would chime in, Thanks again to all.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Anyone else second buying the inexpensive Sony? I thought I had read that the cheaper players weren't very good for SACD listening. I was thinking of getting rid of my Panasonic and getting a universal player. Found a universal Marantz in the sub 400 range. Will also check Audiogon and maybe local Craigslist for bargains.

I bought a Sony BD-370 to play my SACD's and it plays just fine hooked up via HDMI. Wife Even commented on how great the Eagles sound,
Hotel California SACD. My wife asked why the dics sounded better on my set up, and told me to keep getting more of them

Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA5
PS3
PSA XV15se
Sony BDP-370
Toshiba HD-A2
Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CS20,Polk R50's,Polk F/XiA4's,Polk OWM3's
Polk PSW 505's
Sharp 60 LED 640U
Optoma HD25-LV
Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console
post #10 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Appreciate all replies. I can now answer my own question. HELL YES its worth the investment. Haven't even finished listening to all of Pink Floyds DSOM yet and I am blown away by SACD quality. I listened to Us & Them first as it is probably my favorite song on disc, was thinking that this wasn't too much better than remastered CD I already had then the chorus kicked in at about 2:50 WOW. I'm sitting here now listening to Time and love this. I went with the Sony bdp s380 and you were right its great. Of course I now have 3 different blu ray players hooked up. Oh well. I can see now buying new discs is where I will be spending my money for a while. Thanks again to all.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

If you are using the HDMI connection (as you should), it will do. Questions of its capabilities /quality are only relevant if you use the analog outputs. There is better, of course, but the Sony will do you fine.

I'm in a similar situation, on the cusp of jumping in to SACD and/or DVD-A.

I really enjoy the hi-rez mch concert videos, and would like to try out these other formats.

I currently am running 7.1 analog from my Panny BD player, since my Denon 5803 doesn't have HDMI or hi-rez decoding. Works awesomely for BD movies and BD concerts.

What player would you recommend for analog support of SACD/DVD-A? Only option the Oppo 93 or 95? Is the 95 worth the extra expense? At some point down the road, I will likely replace the 5803 with a new receiver or seps, but just can't justify it right now... this one still sounds so good.

Thanks!
post #12 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Pioneer player is worth the $110 investment. If you end up liking the small world of sacd/DVD audio, you can invest in a much better player like an oppo. Welcome and hope you enjoy sacd as much as i do
post #13 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
It's fantastic to see new music fans joining/ buying in this great Hi Rez format, hopefully this is happening in a greater scale thus having the talking heads in these music labels to push for new music in surround...

DJoel
post #14 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I agree that it is great to see more people showing interest in Hi-Rez music. I'm sure the Sony players are great but one does not have the option of DVD-A playback. That is why I think the low priced Pioneer universal players is a great suggestion. Then if one wants to spend a little more go with the Oppo.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #15 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Appreciate all replies. I can now answer my own question. HELL YES its worth the investment. Thanks again to all.

Good man.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #16 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I agree that it is great to see more people showing interest in Hi-Rez music. I'm sure the Sony players are great but one does not have the option of DVD-A playback. That is why I think the low priced Pioneer universal players is a great suggestion. Then if one wants to spend a little more go with the Oppo.

Bill

Yeah Bill, that's my long term plan. I went with the Sony just to go the cheap route and try out SACD. Could'nt justify spending big bucks if I wasn't blown away. Now I've found what I was looking for with the 5k investment in new equipment over the past few months. SACD really brings out the nature of my Aperion GV speakers. I plan on keeping eyes on development of universal players for a while. With Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer jumping in and giving Oppo a run for their money I expect to see prices going down and quality going up soon. Will be buying one in future.
post #17 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

I'm in a similar situation, on the cusp of jumping in to SACD and/or DVD-A.

I really enjoy the hi-rez mch concert videos, and would like to try out these other formats.

I currently am running 7.1 analog from my Panny BD player, since my Denon 5803 doesn't have HDMI or hi-rez decoding. Works awesomely for BD movies and BD concerts.

What player would you recommend for analog support of SACD/DVD-A? Only option the Oppo 93 or 95? Is the 95 worth the extra expense? At some point down the road, I will likely replace the 5803 with a new receiver or seps, but just can't justify it right now... this one still sounds so good.

Thanks!

Had a Denon 5308 myself for years and loved it! Really a great sounding receiver.
A year or so ago I finally upgraded my system to a seven channel B&K amp for all the mains and a Denon 4810 for processing & powering the surrounds.
I am now running a complete 11.2 DSX setup used mainly for blu-ray movie or music playback.
For blu-ray, SACD or DVD-A playback I much prefer using HDMI or Denon link vs analog for cable and most importantly bass management.
Sound quality however using the analog connections on the Denon 5803 with a good SACD/DVD-A player is excellent, so you should be able to continue getting your money's worth out of your Denon flagship receiver.
An Oppo player would be great paired with the 5803 and gets my vote.
I would go with the 93 if you plan to someday upgrade to a new HDMI receiver.
post #18 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

ADDUpstate, check Accessories for Less website for Denon and Marantz refurbs. That was the route I was going to go before deciding to go cheap for now. I have heard good things about AFL and their refurbs. They have a high end Marantz for around $550. Pretty substantial savings and still with the two year warranty. I'll be looking there when I do decide to upgrade to universal player.
post #19 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Liked: 29
I use an HK DVD48 as my sacd/DVD-a player and it works great. It can be readily found on fleabay for $50-$80 easily. I bought a 2nd one as a backup even!
post #20 of 28 Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ADDUpstate, check Accessories for Less website for Denon and Marantz refurbs. That was the route I was going to go before deciding to go cheap for now. I have heard good things about AFL and their refurbs. They have a high end Marantz for around $550. Pretty substantial savings and still with the two year warranty. I'll be looking there when I do decide to upgrade to universal player.

If you are ready to invest that amount of money in your playback device, get Oppo-93. It is sold for $500. For additional $100 or so, you can get it modded to play DVD and BD disks from all geographic zones. Thus for about $600 you will get a universal player for ALL type of disks, purchased anywhere in the world.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The Sony will lock you into just SACD. You may want a player that will do both SACD and DVD-A.
post #22 of 28 Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrix View Post

The Sony will lock you into just SACD. You may want a player that will do both SACD and DVD-A.

Yeah, I understood that before purchasing Joe. At time I just needed a SACD player to find out if this was going to be an area to explore further. Very few discs available for music I know I like. I am just now getting into Classical and Jazz and expanding my musical tastes. Can't listen to Metal forever. That said the Sony for around $80 was perfect tool for what I needed it for. I will be getting a Universal player in the future. Really didn't want to sink another $500 to $1000 into another piece of equipment at this time.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I understood that before purchasing Joe. At time I just needed a SACD player to find out if this was going to be an area to explore further. Very few discs available for music I know I like. I am just now getting into Classical and Jazz and expanding my musical tastes. Can't listen to Metal forever. That said the Sony for around $80 was perfect tool for what I needed it for. I will be getting a Universal player in the future. Really didn't want to sink another $500 to $1000 into another piece of equipment at this time.

A wise approach. Your player will let you sample DVD-A discs (if not in high resolution) and when you get a universal player any DVD-A discs you might have will give you full value.
post #24 of 28 Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:

I am just now getting into Classical and Jazz and expanding my musical tastes. Can't listen to Metal forever.

I'm in the same boat as I was a classic rock guy for many years. I enjoy listening to mostly jazz now and hardly any classic rock. So many excellent jazz and classical SACD titles available as well. I have some classical SACDs that I haven't listened to yet. I'll have to break some of them out and give them a spin.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #25 of 28 Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I'm in the same boat as I was a classic rock guy for many years. I enjoy listening to mostly jazz now and hardly any classic rock. So many excellent jazz and classical SACD titles available as well. I have some classical SACDs that I haven't listened to yet. I'll have to break some of them out and give them a spin.

Bill

I've amassed a few (100 or so )3classical SACDs over the years. I recommend the RCA Living Stereo series and anything Kal Rubinson recommends in his Stereophile column.

SACD has been responsible for a great expansion of my appreciation of both classical and jazz. Well worth the effort.
post #26 of 28 Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Pros:
Multi channel music
Better mastering
No loudness wars and less dynamic compression

Cons:
Sound quality difference will not be audible
Limited choice

My opinion:
Invest in room and speakers instead
post #27 of 28 Old 03-11-2012, 07:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post

Pros:
Multi channel music
Better mastering
No loudness wars and less dynamic compression

Cons:
Sound quality difference will not be audible
Limited choice

My opinion:
Invest in room and speakers instead

I basically agree. While I can't say that there is never a difference, or an improvement, because sometimes there seems to be, the improvement is slight. A much better investment is in speakers, if one can afford to upgrade those, and doing work on the room to improve what is often the worst audio component one has.

On the other hand, if it can be found these days, an SACD player can be cheaper than upgrading speakers, and is certainly easier to install than a room fix often is.
post #28 of 28 Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If classical and/or jazz is a major consideration then it worth seeking out SACD in MCH. Even two channel can be worth it if the price is close to the CD (say within 15%) as there is a good chance a remaster done right will be on the SACD and, worst case, you'll have CD quality anyway.

That said, MCH remains, by far, my motive for buying SACDs.
Reply Surround Music Formats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page