DTS CDs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm new to surround sound music, so new that I don't have any.
Anyway, I'm wondering if DTS CDs are worth getting or have they been superceded by DVD-A or SACD formats.

I'm primarily interested in the Police Classics disc and Nothing Like the Sun or Ten Summoners Tales by Sting.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Every title is different, but in general a few things are true:
1) these use lossy compression, so there's no "high quality" audio here.
2) They require a player and AVR/processor capable of dealing with them.
3) If you want high quality multi-channel audio, SACD, BD or DVD-A is the way to go.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrooper View Post

Hello,

Anyway, I'm wondering if DTS CDs are worth getting or have they been superceded by DVD-A or SACD formats.

I'm primarily interested in the Police Classics disc and Nothing Like the Sun or Ten Summoners Tales by Sting.
Thanks.

The Police discs are available as SACD, which tends to sound better than CDs but almost all are 2-channel. Sting is on DTS-CD which is multi-channel but generally not as high of quality as DVD-Audio or SACD.

Check out http://www.sa-cd.net and http://www.dvd-a.net

HDTracks.com has Stings Sacred Love album as a 48khz/24bit download but only as 2-channel
post #4 of 30 Old 03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
On the other hand, they can be played directly from your computer via iTunes.

And the quality is pretty high.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-02-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have Nothing Like The Sun and it sounds great. I'd wager that in a blind level matched comparison, few, if any, listeners could tell the difference between a DTS CD and its DVD-A equivalent (like the Police Greatest Hits discs).
post #6 of 30 Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

I have Nothing Like The Sun and it sounds great. I'd wager that in a blind level matched comparison, few, if any, listeners could tell the difference between a DTS CD and its DVD-A equivalent (like the Police Greatest Hits discs).

I have a few hybrid DVD-A/V disks with 24/96 multichannel MLP and 16/48 DTS tracks. On all of them DTS track feels a little congested (like having more compression applied) than MLP. But generally DTS is as good as 256-320 kbps MP3
post #7 of 30 Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over" is a nice sounding DTS cd. (5.1 surround).

Frank, "Still the one"
post #8 of 30 Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

3) If you want high quality multi-channel audio, SACD, BD or DVD-A is the way to go.

What he says!

I have one DTS CD, Summertime, the Ray Brown Trio. Telarc 20 bit. It sounds VERY good FWIW.
post #9 of 30 Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

Agree, this is a very enjoyable disc.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Anyone have the Bonnie Raitt Road Tested DTS cd? I just got it from Amazon and the description said it was 2 discs, but I only got 1. Funny thing is, the booklet lists the songs for both discs, which definitely aren't all there on the included disc and it's obviously a 1 disc case!
post #11 of 30 Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Anyone have the Bonnie Raitt Road Tested DTS cd? I just got it from Amazon and the description said it was 2 discs, but I only got 1. Funny thing is, the booklet lists the songs for both discs, which definitely aren't all there on the included disc and it's obviously a 1 disc case!

The regular CD has a lift-up tray with the 2nd CD hiding underneath.
post #12 of 30 Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:

The regular CD has a lift-up tray with the 2nd CD hiding underneath.

Thank you for the quick reply! Now maybe you (or someone) can answer another question: this was billed as DVD-A, even has the DVD-A logo on the case. But it's a CD, not a DVD. My receiver shows that it's encoded in DTS, so it's not MLP, which is what I thought DVD-A was... and finally, the little blue light for DVD-A on my Denon lights up when its plays. What's going on?
post #13 of 30 Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you for the quick reply! Now maybe you (or someone) can answer another question: this was billed as DVD-A, even has the DVD-A logo on the case. But it's a CD, not a DVD. My receiver shows that it's encoded in DTS, so it's not MLP, which is what I thought DVD-A was... and finally, the little blue light for DVD-A on my Denon lights up when its plays. What's going on?

I'm not familiar with whatever release you have in hand. There was no official DVD-A release of this concert. If you're talking about THIS ONE, it is in fact a "DTS CD". Amazon, or the 3rd party seller, has it mis-labeled.

FWIW, the DVD video of this concert has equal audio quality to the DTS CD. I used to have both, and sold the DTS-CD.
post #14 of 30 Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:

I'm not familiar with whatever release you have in hand. There was no official DVD-A release of this concert. If you're talking about THIS ONE, it is in fact a "DTS CD". Amazon, or the 3rd party seller, has it mis-labeled.

FWIW, the DVD video of this concert has equal audio quality to the DTS CD.

Thank you. I am talking about that; I got it from Amazon. I am aware that their descriptions are sometimes inaccurate and ordered this assuming it was not really DVD-a but DTS 5.1 discs. I love discrete MCH music, so I wasn't concerned that this was lossy. What puzzles me is why the DVD-a logo is embossed on the case and even moreso why the DVD-a light on my Denon 2930 illuminates...

Also, I have the RT dvd, but since I got my 67" HDTV, the picture is too horrid to look at; apparently it is not anamorphic. Also, the DTS cd release has 2 discs (at least is supposed to- see post above- replacement is on the way from Amazon), which includes many songs not on the dvd.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

I have a few hybrid DVD-A/V disks with 24/96 multichannel MLP and 16/48 DTS tracks. On all of them DTS track feels a little congested (like having more compression applied) than MLP. But generally DTS is as good as 256-320 kbps MP3

Actually, the DTS bitrate is the equivalent of a 512kbps MP3 or AAC, so theoretically it might sound better.

I doubt at these levels that anyone would find much difference though.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:

The DTS version is a 2 disc set in 2 seperate cases. The DVD-A logo is molded into one of the cases leading me to believe it was originally for a different disc. None of the printed material identifies it as anything but a DTS-CD. I play it through a computer (shows file structure as CD) to a Pioneer receiver which correctly identifes it as 5.1 channel DTS.

John
post #17 of 30 Old 03-09-2012, 02:10 PM

sandtrooper..what kind of AV equipment do you have currently?

If you have a receiver with hdmi input that can handle 96 - 192khz PCM OR if you have a receiver with 5.1 analog inputs then you can enter the SACD/DVD-Audio world relatively cheaply (approx. $100) by buying a pioneer universal dvd/dvd-audio/sacd player.

What you'll find though is some popular SACD's are no longer in print (MJ Thriller and Allison Krauss and Union Station Live) so now they go for hundreds of dollars . But there are many still on sale for about the same as the CD.
post #18 of 30 Old 03-09-2012, 07:34 PM

I have several DTS CD's and I would say they definitely sound different than the CD's. It is more about a new way to experience an album that you are already familiar with. I have "Fly Like An Eagle" by Steve Miller. Doesn't sound like a DVDA, but adds a different take to the album. I have a few others and I would say the same about all of them. Can't imagine there were too many made. Really not sure why they exist, since most car stereos can't play them and they are not rippable. Why not just make it a DVD?

I do have an Alpine DVD Nav that can play them mixed down to 2 channels and they just sound awful in my car.

I don't know the technical difference between a DTS CD and a DTS mix on DVD, if there is one. My Porcupine Tree DVD's DTS tracks sound awesome. I think, like everything else, it just depends on the competence of those making the decisions.

A DTS CD just gives you an "alternate take" on how to experience a familiar recording. It is not a step up in SQ. A well recorded CD still sounds pretty good. The DTS just allows a change in presentation. It will sound different.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I have a few DTS-CD's and like Fly Like An Eagle, BTO's Not Fragile and Wings Band On The Run in particular, not because of any increase in SQ but because they have pretty aggressive surround mixes (sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't). I like what MFSL did to these DTS discs.

I always figured DTS CD's were a way of getting surround sound music back in the early days of dvd players when they cost several hundred dollars. A cd player with a digital output and a receiver with a digital input was all that was needed to hear surround music with those discs. I guess cheap dvd players (and DVD-A's with a DD layer) killed the idea.
post #20 of 30 Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My favourite DTS-CD is Gaucho by Steely Dan. I used to buy whatever DTS-CDs I could find as it was the only way to get decent multi-channel.
post #21 of 30 Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 AM

Liked: 12
I have a large number of DTS CD's. Have you noticed that if the DTS Entertainment wording on the spline is white lettering that the disc is a DTS CD and if it is red it is a DVD-Audio disc. Half of mine are white and half are red.
post #22 of 30 Old 03-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

My favourite DTS-CD is Gaucho by Steely Dan. I used to buy whatever DTS-CDs I could find as it was the only way to get decent multi-channel.

actually gaucho is one of the few great DVD-A still available for a reasonable cost. amazon has it cheap- unheard of these days, but get it while you can...
post #23 of 30 Old 03-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Mine is a 2 disc set.

post #24 of 30 Old 03-25-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine is also 2 disc's.
post #25 of 30 Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 AM

DVD-A or SACD are the best, but I've found some great stuff on DTS:

Brand New Day - Sting

Violator - Depeche Mode

I've found that, with a few exceptions, most surround audio discs don't offer true separation of instruments, and the rear channels are mostly reverb / echo.

Look on Usenet if you want to test out a couple. I found Dark Side of the Moon (4 channel surround) on there - and it's beautiful.
post #26 of 30 Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

I believe I have a couple of DTS CD's, Allmans Live at the Fillmore, Lyle Lovett Joshua Judges Ruth. Sound quality was a bit inconsistent across different titles, but IIRC, Joshua Judges Ruth sounded as good as many hi-res lossless titles. Gotta find that one in my stash.
post #27 of 30 Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrooper View Post

Hello,

Thanks.

I have a few DTS Releases. Don Henley End of Innocence, Lyle Lovett Joshua Judges Ruth, McCartney's Band on the Run, Sting 10 Summoners and Nothing Like the Sun, Toy Matinee.

If you have a choice always go with the SACD, BD-A or DVD-A versions. On my system the clarity and detail is superior to the DTS versions. If no hi rez version is available I would still buy the DTS version. The surround mixes tend to be more aggressive and the sound quality is still quite good. I bought these early on when titles were just coming out. The Toy Matinee release was mixed in with a bunch of others at Tower Records. When I got home and started listening I knew something was up. The Toy Matinee sounded better than the others. Upon further inspection it turned out that the DTS Toy Matinee Release was the only DVD-A in the group. The bass was much tighter and the overall clarity superior to the regular DTS releases. Unfortunately with the rather limited selection available you can't be too choosey. Don't hesitate to buy the DTS if you find one that interests you.
post #28 of 30 Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just picked up the Eagles Hell Freezes Over dts CD. Really was looking forward to this having read it sounded like the legendary dts dvd. But it's severely lacking in bass. Wow. Have a new Acura MDX advance model with the ELS dvd-audio/dts playback. Had to really increase the bass level & subwoofer.
post #29 of 30 Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I would suggest that you listen to Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth DTS-CD. If you do you will find that this DTS-CD offers excellent SQ. The SQ of the JJR DTS-CD sounds as good as some of my best sounding 5.1 SACDs and DVD-As IMO smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

I agree great sounding disc.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reply Surround Music Formats