Where do you like to buy 6 channel discs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there aren't that many out there, but I would like to see what's available from some place that has a good selection.

I'm thinking internet stores. I've been to a lot of places that sell CDs, and I've never seen 6 channel discs.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Amazon or eBay, take your pick.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Amazon has a good selection.

5 years ago, lots of stores carried a smattering of hi-res audio, although it was a bit of a hunt to find it, but with the brick & mortar stores carrying less and less music, those days are gone it seems. You will find a new release here and there on occasion like the Rush recent re-release which has DVD-A though, but it's rare.

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #4 of 14 Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Is 6 channel music burned to DVD, while 6 channel music and video are burned to BR disc?

I know SACD was burned to CD, and is pretty much a dead format.

I watched John Fogerty in concert on HD Net, and it chaffed me that the only way that I could get that quality audio was to go to some form of 6 channel surround. I know it's available, but I don't understand the various formats.

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio, there is only 5.1 surround on DVD-A. And, to get this requires a DVD player especially designed to play DVD-A.

However, I found a JVC DVD-A that claims to play 6.1 surround via 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter for about $190. 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter

Can someone clear my head about what is actually available?

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
post #5 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My procedure, but keep in mind i only have about 350 SACDs:

1. Log into www.sa-cd.net, check title, it will show me if it is
already in my library or wish list. Member reviews are quite good
actually, esp if several members reviewed item.

2. Follow the link to the lowest priced vendor from the sa-cd.net
menu.

3. Sweep ebay for good measure.

4. Buy item.

Amazon.jp has a little tab English on the upper right corner, and you
can use your amazon account just like on co.uk, .fr., .de.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I thought SACD was dead and buried. I'm guessing that is not true.

Floyd

post #7 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydster View Post

I know SACD was burned to CD, and is pretty much a dead format.

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio, there is only 5.1 surround on DVD-A. And, to get this requires a DVD player especially designed to play DVD-A.

SACD isn't "burned" to CD, but a disc with a capacity similar to DVD. Both it and DVD-A are multichannel audio discs, similar but not compatible with each other.

Both SACD and DVD-A need "special" DVD players to play them. Some companies make/made players that play both, and they're known as "universal" DVD players. Some Blu-ray players (like Oppo) also do both.

Sony developed SACD, so their players don't play DVD-A. Panasonic helped develop DVD-A, so they don't play SACD.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I thought SACD was dead and buried. I'm guessing that is not true.

Floyd

Mobile Fidelity has been issueing recently some classic older albums (Santana, Cat Stevens, Doobie Bros) remastered on SACD but they are mostly 2 channel. WE Japan has reissued some also lately: Rumours, Fragile, Hotel California which are multichannel sacd versions of the original dvd-a's.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #9 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

SACD isn't "burned" to CD, but a disc with a capacity similar to DVD. Both it and DVD-A are multichannel audio discs, similar but not compatible with each other.

Both SACD and DVD-A need "special" DVD players to play them. Some companies make/made players that play both, and they're known as "universal" DVD players. Some Blu-ray players (like Oppo) also do both.

Sony developed SACD, so their players don't play DVD-A. Panasonic helped develop DVD-A, so they don't play SACD.

Thanks for that. Is DVD-A 6 channel or 5? I mean 5 discrete channels sent over the same wire or optic cable to a 7 channel THX receiver? These format wars really hack me off. If you can get 7 channel surround via BR in uncompressed (HD) sound, why doesn't someone use the same system for audio only that everyone has in their homes now?

post #10 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK, both formats are 5.1 capable discs. I don't think either use optical for transmission, but multichannel analog or HDMI.

Neither format really became mainstream, so the hardware for playback isn't widespread. Most people are content with ordinary CDs or even an iPod full of mp3s.

These two fared better than most format wars, with some good quality players that handle both (aside from Sony and Panasonic who refuse the other format for corporate reasons.)

post #11 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

AFAIK, both formats are 5.1 capable discs. I don't think either use optical for transmission, but multichannel analog or HDMI.

Neither format really became mainstream, so the hardware for playback isn't widespread. Most people are content with ordinary CDs or even an iPod full of mp3s.

These two fared better than most format wars, with some good quality players that handle both (aside from Sony and Panasonic who refuse the other format for corporate reasons.)

AFAIK? New acronym for me. Do you prefer one format over the other or do you play both on a dual format player?

Just looked up AFAIK. Wiktionary.

post #12 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No real preference. I don't own either format anymore, as I decided to concentrate on movies/blu-ray. I had an Onkyo DVD player that did both, but swapped it out and sold it some years back. It was okay, but I think there are better players.

Universal players aren't really any pricier than ones that only do one or the other format (and you get more choices to boot.) I'm not sure you can even get a DVD-A only machine anymore.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Do you prefer one format over the other or do you play both on a dual format player?

There is no reason to make this choice as the only way to get a DVD-A player these days is on a universal player. When both formats were more lively, one might choose on the basis of repertoire. Since then, I have accumulated more than 2000 SACDs and about 50-60 DVD-As and that tells you where my tastes run.

Today, I would suggest a universal BD player, like an Oppo. That way, you can play whatever you find.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #14 of 14 Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 AM

I didn't see a place to buy DVD-A either.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page