Do not use Importcds - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 50
A point to remember when being shown a cheaper version of any product by Amazon's "Other Buying Options": The system that links you to the Marketplace alternatives is automated and prone to error.

It appears to be keyed not to a product's unique ID number but to its title, which can result in a different product that's cheaper - because it's a different product - showing up in the list without that being noted.

I discovered this wrinkle when shopping for the Blu-ray of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which has all kinds of extra features on the American release of the disk.

Amazon "helpfully suggested" a much cheaper buying option that drove me batty trying to access the special features, until I realized that what I had bought was the Canadian version, which has no extra features.

The vendor, who had bought a batch of the Canadian disks and didn't know they were different, took it back and gave me a full refund, and I learned not to rely on the brief squibs in the list of options, but to instead to click on the links in the list to the Marketplace merchants' own Amazon storefronts and find the product page there, where you get the full version information.

I buy from Amazon all the time, but I've learned to be careful with the Marketplace system, since that part of Amazon's system is stupid enough that my purchasing history for that disk actually showed it as being bought from a different Marketplace vendor every time I clicked on it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 772
I have bought quite a bit of music form importcds in the past and have always had good service. Well I'm a little pissed at them as they are now listing back ordered items as "ships in 5-10 days" rolleyes.gif. I ordered several SACDs recently that had been listed as back ordered but now as "ships in 5-10 days". I emailed importcds asking if these discs were really going to ship in that timeframe or are they out of stock. The response was "Backordered items typically take 1-4 weeks to come back in stock". So in essence they are admitting these SACDs are on back order. The bad part is I paid with Paypal so they have my money for now. I'll give them the 4 weeks then ask for a full refund.

Although I've been a fan of importcds in the past this move is not a good one in my book.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 124
My friend recently had a bad experience with importcds.
Pre-ordered the Zeppelin Celebration Day set only to get stiffed and expired because they hadn't shipped by the time his order was 30 days old which was well after the release date.
No response to emails, nada.
Ordered from amazon, bang,boom got it in 2 days.
He'll never order from them again and I don't blame him.
I've placed several orders with them in the past and always gotten good results.
This is how companies go out of business.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Old 01-09-2013, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^^^^
I agree be careful when ordering from this company. I ordered the two Tsuyoshi Yamamoto SACD’s, Midnight Sugar and Misty. I received Misty but not Midnight Sugar, I have sent them many emails through their site asking what my options are and there has been no response. Does anyone have a phone number for them?

While on the subject I am on my second experience with Newbury Comics advertising a SACD and sending a redbook. This has happened when I ordered from them direct and through Aamzon. They were responsive when it was brought to their attention with concessions but not with the advertised product. Why waste customer’s time by luring them with a good price when they really do have the item?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 164
You guys have discovered part of ImportCDs' business model, they drop-ship a significant portion of their items for sale. I've also had problems pre-ordering from them, and simply quit doing that as too many orders were mysteriously getting delayed or canceled.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (updated through May 25th, 2015)
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Same problem I've encountered with pre-ordering titles. I was lucky with the Jethro Tull Aqualung set, but when I had ordered the new ELP 5.1 Remasters, once the pre-order passed 30 days, my "order" was cancelled without notifying me. I was told from importcds customer service that the orders are not linked to the site. Last time I use them for a pre-order. They know how to take the pre-order, but not hold the pre-order! rolleyes.gif
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosgrande View Post

Same problem I've encountered with pre-ordering titles. I was lucky with the Jethro Tull Aqualung set, but when I had ordered the new ELP 5.1 Remasters, once the pre-order passed 30 days, my "order" was cancelled without notifying me. I was told from importcds customer service that the orders are not linked to the site. Last time I use them for a pre-order. They know how to take the pre-order, but not hold the pre-order! rolleyes.gif

I preordered the Patricia Barber "Distortion of Love" SACD and I was notified that my order was being shipped. For all preorders I use my credit card and normal direct buying I use Paypal.

Bill

Emotiva XMC-1, Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosgrande View Post

I have the Yes CTTE SACD on preorder so I'm interested in this. Someone over at Hoffman said the same thing, but when I checked my order status it said "not yet shipped". So what the heck is the story? Do they ship preorders or pull stunts like Nachosgrande claims? They charged me immediately, so in effect they are getting my money for free. However, it's been so long I can't remember if I paid via Paypal or a CC.

Anyone want to shed some light on this?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Old 04-25-2015, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A help to minimize errors in internet shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakstone View Post
Recently, I purchased Black Sabbath:Paranoid. It was labeled SACD. I knew it wasn't the japan version because it wasn't as expensive. Turns out it's the 2009 cd/dvd. I've returned the item and it was signed for on 3/14. It's 3/26 and no refund. I used paypal thinking this would be the exact reason to do so. Nothing but automated responses.<br><br>
Getting tired of being ripped off.
importcds.com is not the first or the last internet seller with occasional mistakes in product descriptions. I have bought hundreds of items over the years from various sellers and I've encountered a share of problems in this regard. Little workers-ants who toil in these companies do not get paid a lot and they make mistakes due to being overworked. The savings on salaries is projected into low prices for buyers. importcds has, I would say, unbeatable prices across the board. I had one problem with them, a DVD got loose from its plastic anchor during the shipment and as a result it got scratched. The company sent me a new one, very promptly after I offered a proof of damage.
We do not live in a 100% world, nothing works to 100% efficiency, not even Mercedes Benz or BMW company. You should expect to encounter about 1% failure in your purchases on the internet. That is a very small tax to pay for the money you save, when you do not have to pay prices which include costs of running a real store with many employees in prime locations. Buying on internet you still end up ahead in savings, even with hitches like you encountered. And I presume your problem was solved, in the end.
As a rule one should check, before buying, :
A - A company or a label publishing or releasing an item
B - The date of a release
C - The the product number of an item being sold, either a barcode number
- UPC [ Universal Product Code ]
- EAN [ European Article Number ]
- ASIN [ Amazon Standard Identification Number ]
- JAN [ Japanese Article Number ]
- GTIN [ Global Trade Item Number ]
1 - google amazon.com Help: Locating Product Identifiers
2 - google amazon.ca What are UPCs, EANs, ISBNs. and ASINs?
or a [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"][COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]catalog number[/COLOR][/COLOR] [A must !]
- google musicians.about.com Catalog Number
An example :
- google ' artist.cdjournal.com 4109011576 ' and then click on the artist.cdjournal.com link
You can see : Label, Label Catalog Number [Standard part number]and Release Date. The barcode number is missing
If you go by either the EAN Number or by the Catalog Number you know what you are buying and you cannot miss.
- google ' gemm.com Harris, Emmylou - Wrecking Ball: Special Edition (CV) ' and then click on the title of this album
Again, you can see Label, Label Catalog Number [Release Number] and UPC number. The release date is missing.
By the way, both these albums are two of the essential albums of the 20th century to have.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Welcome! sszorin
Old 04-29-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow! Talk about an old thread getting resurrected . I'm still using importcds on a regular basis and for the most part with no issues. On occasion I'll get a cracked jewel case due to the use of the cardboard mailers with no padding. I stopped using Paypal and only use a CC to place any orders. I recently ordered the America Homecoming SACD from importcds and it actually shipped before the projected ship date. Their prices are normally the lowest when compared to many other resellers. I can't see paying $30 for an SACD title when it can be bought for $20 at places like importcds.

Bill

Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Bill Mac-

are you buying through eBay or Amazon?
I noticed that importcds has an account for both sites...
Old 04-29-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Bill Mac-
Bill might own more discs than both of those sites put together
Bill Mac likes this.

In dog beers, I've only had one.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Bill Mac-

I noticed that importcds has an account for both sites...
JA,

I usually go direct through importcds as the prices are normally lower and shipping is $3.00 compared to $4.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
Bill might own more discs than both of those sites put together
Steve,

I wish, but I'm trying though .

Bill

Old 04-29-2015, 01:09 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
A point to remember when being shown a cheaper version of any product by Amazon's "Other Buying Options": The system that links you to the Marketplace alternatives is automated and prone to error.

It appears to be keyed not to a product's unique ID number but to its title, which can result in a different product that's cheaper - because it's a different product - showing up in the list without that being noted.

I discovered this wrinkle when shopping for the Blu-ray of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which has all kinds of extra features on the American release of the disk.

Amazon "helpfully suggested" a much cheaper buying option that drove me batty trying to access the special features, until I realized that what I had bought was the Canadian version, which has no extra features.

The vendor, who had bought a batch of the Canadian disks and didn't know they were different, took it back and gave me a full refund, and I learned not to rely on the brief squibs in the list of options, but to instead to click on the links in the list to the Marketplace merchants' own Amazon storefronts and find the product page there, where you get the full version information.

I buy from Amazon all the time, but I've learned to be careful with the Marketplace system, since that part of Amazon's system is stupid enough that my purchasing history for that disk actually showed it as being bought from a different Marketplace vendor every time I clicked on it!
I'm an amazon vendor. It is important to note that the vendors are required to use the Amazon listings, most of which were created by other vendors unless Amazon sells the same product directly. We can't fix the listings without calling Amazon and going through a hassle that isn't worth it. I've had occasions in which I've listed products matching the barcode exactly and had returns because the person who created the listing didn't do a very good job. I understand why they do it. They want each product to have its own listing and image.

Ebay works differently. For them every listing is a separate thing created by the person listing it. It should probably get you a more accurate description of what is being sold but it does have a bunch of different descriptions for the same thing.
ti-triodes likes this.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! for sharing this valuable info- FMW
Old 04-30-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
I'm an amazon vendor. It is important to note that the vendors are required to use the Amazon listings, most of which were created by other vendors unless Amazon sells the same product directly. We can't fix the listings without calling Amazon and going through a hassle that isn't worth it. I've had occasions in which I've listed products matching the barcode exactly and had returns because the person who created the listing didn't do a very good job. I understand why they do it. They want each product to have its own listing and image.

Ebay works differently. For them every listing is a separate thing created by the person listing it. It should probably get you a more accurate description of what is being sold but it does have a bunch of different descriptions for the same thing.

Re: Amazon sellers. There's no way to know for certain what is for sale unless it specifically says so in the little bit of info given. This is the reason I started contacting the sellers directly to verify. It saves the time and expense of returning an item. OTOH, I've gotten much better deals through the Amazon sellers than on eBay.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Re: Amazon sellers. There's no way to know for certain what is for sale unless it specifically says so in the little bit of info given. This is the reason I started contacting the sellers directly to verify. It saves the time and expense of returning an item. OTOH, I've gotten much better deals through the Amazon sellers than on eBay.

How has your response rate been? The few times I've tried to contact a seller on Amazon (ie is this a CD or SACD) I've never heard anything back. My questions have usually revolved around used items.

PS I've always had good luck with importCD's. Sometimes the shipping times are a bit spotty but they always arrive.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
How has your response rate been? The few times I've tried to contact a seller on Amazon (ie is this a CD or SACD) I've never heard anything back. My questions have usually revolved around used items.

PS I've always had good luck with importCD's. Sometimes the shipping times are a bit spotty but they always arrive.

I was referring to the used stuff which is always a crapshoot. I never had to wait more than a day for a reply. If they don't answer they aren't worth doing business with.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Yeah, that's been my experience, in fact, I've been waiting two weeks for an order right now..... but you get what you pay for, for another thirty bucks I could have Amazon next day air it all, at higher prices and a fat shipping charge, so no big deal, but thanks to reading this thread, I'm darn sure going to double check that I got all the correct formats I thought I was ordering...