Storm Corrosion - Mikael Åkerfeldt & Steven Wilson - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Didn't see a thread on this. New Mikael Åkerfeldt and Steven Wilson (of Opeth and Porcupine Tree, respectively) project, available in 5.1 on Blu-ray (combo pack with CD). Available for a reasonable price on Amazon, currently ~US$21:

http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-Spec.../dp/B007K87C4M

I had already pre-ordered this from Burning Shed along with another item (No-Man's Love and Endings), otherwise I would jump on the Amazon price (might even go down a bit between now and release).

No samples are available anywhere, AFAIK, so I am very interested to see/hear what might be a cross between Grace for Drowning and heritage might be...

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
^^^
I'm interested as well - saw it pop up in Amazon a few days ago and pre-ordered.

With SW involved, it's pretty likely to be musically interesting and almost guaranteed to be well engineered and produced. Got to love that everything he's putting out these days has both two channel and MCH available in the same package without a ridiculous price.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Looks good to me.

I'm in.

Thanks for the heads up!

Pre-order sent.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 AM
sa

Liked: 20
I got the Blu-ray of this and like SW's Grace for Drowning it's got dts-Master Audio 96/24 audio. Sound quality and production is pretty much on the same level (very good).

The music has more in common with Steven Wilson's solo stuff than Opeth.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-10-2012, 01:10 PM

Liked: 10
It's taken me a few plays to absorb but growing on me fast. Much more like solo SW than Opeth. Very stripped down vibe on this with a couple of "crimson" type moments. Reference recording and mix. Gavin Harrison does what little drums and percussion that are in the mix too, a nice bonus. Note Gavin often just on shakers!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

I got the Blu-ray of this and like SW's Grace for Drowning it's got dts-Master Audio 96/24 audio. Sound quality and production is pretty much on the same level (very good).

The music has more in common with Steven Wilson's solo stuff than Opeth.

Yep, that's a pretty good description, although to me it is a different yet again compared to Grace for Drowning, Insurgentes, or even The Incident, for example.

Definitely something I like (though lots of folks on the PTree DarkMatter list are less enthusiastic about it, so it isn't necessarily an automatic "like" for SW fans).

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This album delivers some of the most impressive soundscapes I've ever heard, lush at times, incredibly detailed and minimalist at others. Steven uses the music and his mixing skills to put sound near, far away and everywhere to create the appropriate mood, delivering emotional impact like few modern albums do.

My MartinLogans are ideally suited to render the depth of these compositions and recording. It takes a speaker that can resolve dense mixes as well as allow a single plucked string to float in the air right in front of you to really appreciate the awesomeness of this album.

The DTS-MA HD 24/96 5.1 mix rom the BluRay, played back through a high-end processor (like the Denon AVP-A1HDci), where the stream is decoded in the box and combined with room correction to deliver time-accurate, millimeter-precise imaging that is uncanny.
The dynamic range of this recording is impressive as well. Along with Steven's own Grace for Drowning on BluRay, this new album (on BluRay) is a reference quality disc. It will show you what your system can (and can't) do.
Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page